HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Football
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Football NFL, NCAA, CFL

Conferences Play Musical Chairs (Boise stays in MWC)

Old
06-08-2010, 03:57 PM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

vCash: 500
I get why they'd fight the move kicking and screaming, but Baylor football-wise would be a nice fit in the Mountain West (or conference USA).
One issue Baylor will have (I heard) is that it is private, not state, so it doesn't have quite the muscle the UT-TAMU-TECH triumvarate has.

I'd rather see Colorado go into the Pac10.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 06:30 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Anyway the MWC is also talking to Boise State. It's far fetched, but if they could add CU, Kansas, KU and Boise it would be a pretty good conference.

Hasbro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 06:46 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
On ESPN the other day they were debating, and Andy Katz (who is a basketball guy, no?) said that he thinks if the Big Ten gets Notre Dame then the whole thing is over. They won't bother with Nebraska and Missouri. And if the Pac-10 scores the schools mentioned earlier, then Mizzou and Nebraska will be left out in the cold.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 07:03 PM
Live in the Now
YNWA

Awards:
The Pac-10 is going to expand somehow, someway. There is no stopping that train now. I think what Katz said holds a little water, but that the Big XII might hold intact if Mizzou and Nebraska stay. If that happens then I wonder if the Pac-10 will just grab two and who they will be, but I think the conference is still going to invite six.

Live in the Now is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 08:13 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
The Pac-10 is going to expand somehow, someway. There is no stopping that train now. I think what Katz said holds a little water, but that the Big XII might hold intact if Mizzou and Nebraska stay. If that happens then I wonder if the Pac-10 will just grab two and who they will be, but I think the conference is still going to invite six.
Once the Pac 10 got rid of Tom Hansen, it was inevitable. That guy was a train-wreck.

I really hope the Pac 10 pulls this off.

06-09-2010, 01:12 AM
Live in the Now
YNWA

Awards:
http://omaha.com/article/20100608/NE...arly-as-friday

Quote:
LINCOLN — An executive at a Big 12 school relayed to The World-Herald on Tuesday that he expects Nebraska to become a member of the Big Ten as early as Friday.

Direct confirmation from Nebraska of a conference change for the Huskers wasn't immediately available. Sources at two other Big 12 schools told The World-Herald that their athletic directors have instructed them to be ready by week's end for a briefing on probable Big 12 changes.
College sports as we know them are going to change.

Old
06-09-2010, 01:31 AM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

When the Nebraska domino falls, the Pac-16 will become inevitable and Notre Dame will quickly jump in bed with the Big Ten. I wonder if that, plus Mizzou, will be the end of it, though... I mean, would the Big Ten take on some ****** east coast schools having secured two brass rings? Would the SEC really care enough to raid the ACC for teams like Miami and Clemson, who add no new markets?

I don't even know.

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 01:44 AM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

I doubt SEC adds any teams in states they are already in. I think in order to add a school, teams have to vote them in unanimously. So Florida will block FSU/Miami, South Carolina will block Clemson, Georgia will block GT and so on. They will probably go hard after the Texas, North Carolina or Virginia schools.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 02:18 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
I doubt the ACC or SEC adds any new teams. Rutgers in fact may be dropped from the Big 10 equation if Notre Dame jumps.

Big East SHOULD try to merge with what's left of the Big 12... but instead they'll twiddle their thumbs as their commish plays favorites towards the basketball-only schools yet again and the MWC, after adding Boise, moves in and cements themselves as a BCS conference adding Kansas, KState and Iowa State.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Stall View Post
I doubt SEC adds any teams in states they are already in. I think in order to add a school, teams have to vote them in unanimously. So Florida will block FSU/Miami, South Carolina will block Clemson, Georgia will block GT and so on. They will probably go hard after the Texas, North Carolina or Virginia schools.
If the SEC does expand I've heard WVU and VT as two of their most viable candidates for this very reason. None of the NC schools would jump, and I'm not sure that Florida would block Miami... but they would block FSU IMO.

DaveG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 02:37 AM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Florida would definitely block Miami. They already have a tough time as it is pulling recruits out of the South Florida area (although they still get plenty of 4 and 5 star recruits). Miami would get more money by being in the SEC and then they would be able to use the "play in the best football conference in the land with the most exposure" recruiting angle. None of the SEC schools want to give their out of conference rivals a piece of the SEC pie.

I think we would look at WVU if we added some NC or VA schools, but if we can persuade Texas to join we would probably go after a few other Texas and Oklahoma schools for the sake of better logistics.

Old
06-09-2010, 02:42 AM
Live in the Now
YNWA

Awards:
Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Colorado, Texas A&M, and Texas Tech are apparently on the Pac-16 train though. West Virginia and Virginia Tech would be good ones to add to the SEC. Or at least the two I'd look at.

Old
06-09-2010, 02:58 AM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

Loving the new Pac-10 commish already. USC vs. Texas and/or Oklahoma every year will be huge.

USC Trojans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 06:14 AM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by USC Trojans View Post
Loving the new Pac-10 commish already. USC vs. Texas and/or Oklahoma every year will be huge.
I'm not sure they would play every year since there would be 16 teams unless the Pac 10 wants to go long stretches of time without certain schools playing each other. The SEC uses a 5-1-2 format where SEC teams play their 5 sub-conference partners, 1 game against a permanent out of sub-conference team, then rotate playing against 2 out of sub-conference teams every 5 years. And that's only with 12 teams, not 16. It's going to be very difficult to schedule So Cal against Texas/Oklahoma every year unless they cut down on out of conference games or let teams go almost a decade without playing each other. Scheduling is going to get really wacky once all these super conferences form.

Old
06-09-2010, 08:22 AM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

The rumor about the Big 10 was that if Notre Dame finally gives in, they'll stop expansion there at 12 teams.

Hope that isn't the case. I'd like to see them at least move to 14 with Mizzou and Nebraska added.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 09:13 AM
Vic Rattlehead*

So long Big 12 and Big East.

Vic Rattlehead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 09:49 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Colorado, Texas A&M, and Texas Tech are apparently on the Pac-16 train though. West Virginia and Virginia Tech would be good ones to add to the SEC. Or at least the two I'd look at.
I don't know if the SEC would bother with Virginia.

Virginia Tech encompasses a larger market. They only need one of them. Virginia Tech's reaches all the way to here in Philadelphia (I'm not the only Va Tech fan here, although I'm sure most of the rest are actually alums while...I really have no good reason). I don't see many Virginia hats, tee shirts, and hoodies around.

Old
06-09-2010, 12:48 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Rattlehead View Post
So long Big 12 and Big East.
Not sure on the Big East part, depends on if the SEC wants to expand or not. ACC likely won't add anything if the SEC doesn't. And as long as the Big 10 doesn't add Pitt, Cuse and WVU the Big East can survive losing any other team.

DaveG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 12:53 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

The Big East on the football side could disappear, and just make it a basketball-only conference. If Rutgers leaves, it could be open season.

Old
06-09-2010, 03:49 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

The ACC should take the chance and plunder the Big East... bring in Louisville, Cincy, Rutgers and UConn. Create a basketball super conference with some legit football schools.

Virginia Tech is legally bound to Virginia, by state law. So that's not going to happen.

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 04:00 PM
rj

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
The Big East on the football side could disappear, and just make it a basketball-only conference. If Rutgers leaves, it could be open season.
I don't know where those Big East football schools even go.

Here's all your available eastern/northeastern schools in Division I-A and the Big East teams.

Quote:
ACC

Boston College: speaking as an NC State grad, the fanbases of the other 11 teams in the ACC just wish they would get kicked out
Maryland: not leaving the ACC, nor should they want to; just adding for completeness

Current Big East

UConn
Rutgers: grew up a Purdue fan, I really don't want them in the Big 10
Cincinnati
Pittsburgh: could go to Big 10
West Virginia
Louisville
Syracuse
South Florida: they really have nowhere to go except back to C-USA if the Big East implodes, neither the SEC or ACC would take them

Big 10

Penn State: they're not leaving the Big 10, just adding for completeness

C-USA

East Carolina: if Big East reloads, they'd take them; ECU has a big fanbase and based on attending other ACC teams and ECU games, they have more football fans than Maryland, Duke, Wake Forest, Georgia Tech, Boston College, and maybe Virginia; the perfect scenario here for ECU fans I know would be football-only in the Big East (because the ACC is never going to let them in) and then rest of the sports go back to the Colonial where they once were before joining C-USA; they're a joke in basketball but their baseball is pretty good
Central Florida
Marshall: I can't see West Virginia playing in the same conference as Marshall, but it might be the only choice WVU has got if the Big East implodes

Independents

Army: can't see them leaving independence but they're in New York
Navy: ditto Army, but they're in Maryland
Notre Dame: Big 10 or nothing for them

MAC

Temple: horrible football, used to be in the Big East, got kicked out
Buffalo
Can someone try and work out a new northeastern football conference from all of that?

Last edited by rj: 06-09-2010 at 04:06 PM.
rj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 04:11 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
I don't know if the SEC would bother with Virginia.

Virginia Tech encompasses a larger market. They only need one of them. Virginia Tech's reaches all the way to here in Philadelphia (I'm not the only Va Tech fan here, although I'm sure most of the rest are actually alums while...I really have no good reason). I don't see many Virginia hats, tee shirts, and hoodies around.
Since the two are legally bound together, they may just bring them both, giving the older sister a dance partner so you can sneak off with her hotter, younger sister, so to speak.

Getting both VA schools would give them enough pull to get North Carolina as well. Get West Virginia or an east Texas school and voila, a 16-team conference.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 04:12 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

USF would sooner go independent than go back to C-USA. They have a decent market (Tampa Bay) that I think would appeal to other conferences.

Old
06-09-2010, 04:16 PM
rj

Quote:
USF would sooner go independent than go back to C-USA. They have a decent market (Tampa Bay) that I think would appeal to other conferences.
-The SEC has Florida, #1 school in the state. If they're adding a Florida school, it'd be Florida State or Miami.
-The ACC has two Florida schools. They're not going to add a third.

After them two, what's left if they don't go to C-USA if the Big East implodes like the Southwest Conference did, the Sun Belt?

Old
06-09-2010, 04:22 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by rj View Post
-The SEC has Florida, #1 school in the state. If they're adding a Florida school, it'd be Florida State or Miami.
-The ACC has two Florida schools. They're not going to add a third.

After them two, what's left if they don't go to C-USA if the Big East implodes like the Southwest Conference did, the Sun Belt?
Big 12?

Old
06-09-2010, 04:25 PM
rj

Quote:
Big 12?
If all this stuff goes down to the point the Big East does implode, how it looks with Mizzou and Nebraska in the Big 10 plus a few Big East schools to top it off at 16 (this is likely in my opinion if Notre Dame chooses to remain independent), and then 6 of the remaining 10 teams in the Big 12 head off to the Pac-10, all the Big 12 has left is Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, and most likely Baylor.

I can figure out how the top conferences look if all these changes occur. The ones underneath (Mountain West, WAC, C-USA, Big East holdovers, the remaining Big 12 schools) I can't figure out.

And as a side comment, basketball has become damn near irrelevant in college sports. A program like Kansas without a chair when the music stops?

Last edited by rj: 06-09-2010 at 04:34 PM.