HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers sign Derek Stepan (Post #396)

Old
06-09-2010, 03:32 PM
17futurecap

vCash: 500
Great news!!!

17futurecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 03:34 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

I'm not sure if I like him going to the WHL over the AHL. Even though it might be a step up from the NCAA, its no AHL where he'll be playing against grown men.

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 03:37 PM
UnderPSI
Formerly YMMV

Nice. lets see what he got in camp.

From Brooksie...

Quote:
Stepan would have to be regarded as an extreme long shot to make the Rangers out of training camp. If he does not make the club, he's more likely to be assigned to the junior WHL Calgary Hitmen rather than the team's AHL Hartford affiliate.

UnderPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 03:38 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Larry's tweet

Quote:
One Badger down, one to go for Blueshirts.
https://twitter.com/NYP_Brooksie/status/15800594304

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 03:40 PM
Levitate

Eh, why would he go to the WHL. He'll be 20 when the season starts. I really, REALLY don't see any good in sending a 20 year old to go play in the juniors.

He'll be fine in the AHL even if he's not ready for the NHL. It's not like he hasn't already been playing against older, stronger, and bigger players than he'll face in the WHL.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 03:41 PM
Pizza

Smart move by Steps. He's taken the pressure off himself.

Now where ever he winds up he'll be playing at a level that will push him to be better.

I'd put him as a very long shot to make the Rangers at this point, but it's nice to see the commitment.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 03:43 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Not the first time Larry has written about Stepan and the Calgary Hitmen

Quote:
If Stepan, the sophomore center who was captain of Team USA's gold-medal 2010 World Junior tournament squad, leaves school, it is generally believed he would play junior hockey next season for the WHL Calgary Hitmen.
Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...#ixzz0qOHpqCwg

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 03:45 PM
Levitate

Yeah, I just don't quite believe it, and if it's true, I think it's a big mistake by the Rangers.

I also honestly don't think Stepan would sign on with that agreement...why jump ship to the WHL instead of turning pro and actually moving his career forward.

At 20 years old, I really think the CHL is at best a lateral move for him

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 03:51 PM
The Perfect Paradox

vCash: 50
Glad to see he is signed. But isn't putting him in the WHL a little ridiculous?

The Perfect Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 03:52 PM
ogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
I'm sorry but Eric ******* Christensen is being penciled into a top six spot on the Rangers lineup and people are seriously acting like there's no chance for a young prospect center to earn a center spot on the team that will give him enough icetime to develop?
Not true ..everyone had Dubinsky penciled in as Gaborik's center last year , and right away Torts said that they want the best puck distributor to be with Marian the Magician and that was Prospal. If Stepan, Anisimov or anyone can dish the puck better than Christensen then he might get a spot

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 03:53 PM
NYRMatt

vCash: 1275
Whether it's with the Wolfpack or the Hitmen, Stepan will now actually be in NHL 2011 for all you gamers out there!

NYRMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Him going to WHL is likely just Brooks opinion.

BTW Can we sign Kreider too while we're at it? j/k

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
nyr2417

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Henrik 30 View Post
Glad to see he is signed. But isn't putting him in the WHL a little ridiculous?
agreed he better be in the ahl

nyr2417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 03:56 PM
Pizza

I don't think being in the WHL is such a bad thing. If thats where he goes.

At the very least he'd play some 70 odd games this coming season.

Old
06-09-2010, 03:57 PM
FOXHOUND*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRMatt View Post
Whether it's with the Wolfpack or the Hitmen, Stepan will now actually be in NHL 2011 for all you gamers out there!
good call. I might have to run through a be-a-pro with him!

FOXHOUND* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 04:03 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

I don't think sending him to the dub would be a bad thing. I don't think he's strong enough to play in the AHL/NHL this year anyway.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 04:08 PM
Kovalev27
BEST IN THE WORLD

I have zero problem with him going to the whl in fact I'd love it. 20 is def young for the AHL and this kid has been playing part time hockey in school. Get a legit season under his belt before he goes pro. Hartfords a mess as it is I think an overage year in juniors and the kid will never need an ahl season

Kovalev27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 04:10 PM
ocarina

IMO, it would be terrible if Stepan got sent to the WHL. What does he have to learn there? If he isn't ready for the AHL grind, he should just stay in Wisconsin for one more year.

ocarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 04:17 PM
Pizza

I'm looking forward to the day 2/3 years from now when Steps hits Krieder or Gratchev with the pass that sends them in alone on a breakaway at the Garden.

I wonder how long we'll have to wait for that. Anticipation.

Old
06-09-2010, 04:17 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

I see no downside at all. If he astonishes us all and makes the team, he goes to the NHL. If not, but he's ready for the AHL, he goes there. Worst case, he goes to the WHL which is no better or worse than Wisconsin... except for the fact that we now have him under contract.

Like I said, it's only good.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 04:19 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocarina View Post
IMO, it would be terrible if Stepan got sent to the WHL. What does he have to learn there? If he isn't ready for the AHL grind, he should just stay in Wisconsin for one more year.
He has to learn how to be a professional as that is what they are treated in juniors and he gets to play twice the numbers of games as when he was in college + the extra games if his team makes the playoffs. People need to realize it isn't just about the competition but it is also about getting the player ready for the grind of professional hockey.

On top of all of that it may be a nice thing to have Stepan move on to a different coach who may be able to teach him a few different things as he may have already come close to mastering what they are preaching at Wisconsin. Also, it will give him an entire year to just work on hockey. Working out and working on his skills with no school on the side should give him enough time to take a large jump in his development.

I was going to be pretty surprised if he went to the AHL, I honestly don't think he was physically ready.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 04:23 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

imho he should play with the pack..the only thing he will learn in the WHL is the grueling nature of the schedule. i dont think the skill level difference is enough to justify him spending a year there as opposed to staying in wisconsin. imho he needs to be playing in Hartford.

and, imho, this is the best possible news for Evgeny Grachev. another young talented kid to help him out. seems like a perfect fit.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 04:23 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Rangers would have greater control and visibility of his development if they ask him to play for Hartford.... IMHO if AA and Grachev could survive in the AHL at 19, Stepan can hack it too....

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 04:24 PM
Edge

Well if there's any league to prepare a kid for the grind of professional hockey, it's probably the WHL.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 04:26 PM
ocarina

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
He has to learn how to be a professional as that is what they are treated in juniors and he gets to play twice the numbers of games as when he was in college + the extra games if his team makes the playoffs. People need to realize it isn't just about the competition but it is also about getting the player ready for the grind of professional hockey.

On top of all of that it may be a nice thing to have Stepan move on to a different coach who may be able to teach him a few different things as he may have already come close to mastering what they are preaching at Wisconsin. Also, it will give him an entire year to just work on hockey. Working out and working on his skills with no school on the side should give him enough time to take a large jump in his development.

I was going to be pretty surprised if he went to the AHL, I honestly don't think he was physically ready.
If Stepan isn't ready for the professional grind, wouldn't he be better off in a league full of 21-23 year olds (guys around his age), rather then a bunch of 17-19 year olds?

I understand that they play more games in the WHL, but I think he would be more challenged by playing with men rather then kids.

The guy was second in the nation in scoring. If he returned to Wisconsin, he would of been a Hobey Baker candidate. You don't give that up to end up playing as an overager in a junior league.

ocarina is offline   Reply With Quote