HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Not going to happen, but Malkin ideas?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-07-2010, 10:02 PM
  #1
Skk82
Registered User
 
Skk82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Arlington, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,107
vCash: 500
Not going to happen, but Malkin ideas?

The Pens aren't going to trade Malkin (this summer at least), but if they did decide in a crazy world to deal him for a couple of good, young players I think St. Louis would make one of a few decent potential partners.

As Blue fans -- and since it's summer and there's nothing else to do -- what would be fair? From the Pens perspective what if it started at something like:

Oshie or Perron
AND
EJ or Pietrangelo
AND
Eller or Berglund

Does that sound reasonable? Granted, I realize all those Blues players have a ton of value, especially the defensemen. Malkin would give the Blues that elite, elite player to build around and just last year people were talking about him being the best player in the game. He's young and locked in for four more seasons at $8.7 million and is pretty committed to the NHL.

Malkin had a rough year with some duds for linemates but still scored almost 80 points in an injury bugged and shortened season. He's a proven 30-40 goals, 60+ assists in a good year and I think STL could still surround him with enough skill after trading for him to put him in a good spot.

Again, not trying to offend/insult/get laughed at, just curious to see what your perspectives are if a call went between front offices just to get a feeler of if both teams would be willing to talk further. Are there just too many non-starters or any interest? Thanks for the time to read and consider.

Skk82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 10:06 PM
  #2
Celtic Note
Moderator
Chi Town Bound
 
Celtic Note's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 8,447
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skk82 View Post
The Pens aren't going to trade Malkin (this summer at least), but if they did decide in a crazy world to deal him for a couple of good, young players I think St. Louis would make one of a few decent potential partners.

As Blue fans -- and since it's summer and there's nothing else to do -- what would be fair? From the Pens perspective what if it started at something like:

Oshie or Perron
AND
EJ or Pietrangelo
AND
Eller or Berglund

Does that sound reasonable? Granted, I realize all those Blues players have a ton of value, especially the defensemen. Malkin would give the Blues that elite, elite player to build around and just last year people were talking about him being the best player in the game. He's young and locked in for for more seasons at $8.7 million and is pretty committed to the NHL.

Malkin had a rough year with some duds for linemates but still scored almost 90 points. He's a proven 30-40 goals, 60+ assists in a good year and I think STL could still surround him with enough skill after trading for him to put him in a good spot.

Again, not trying to offend/insult/get laughed at, just curious to see what your perspectives are if a call went between front offices just to get a feeler of if both teams would be willing to talk further. Are there just too many non-starters or any interest? Thanks for the time to read and consider.
So the Blues get a superstar and then have half a team left? Pass

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 10:24 PM
  #3
Skk82
Registered User
 
Skk82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Arlington, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,107
vCash: 500
Are three players half the team? For a 24 year old superstar that's one year removed from winning the Art Ross and Conn Smythe?

Maybe the price is too rich, but it would take assets to have Pittsburgh make the deal. As it is, I'm not sure if 3 assets are enough to entice the Pens to pull the trigger. Just wanted to see if there was any interest.

Skk82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 10:39 PM
  #4
ibleedblue8
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: St. Louis, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 264
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skk82 View Post
Are three players half the team? For a 24 year old superstar that's one year removed from winning the Art Ross and Conn Smythe?

Maybe the price is too rich, but it would take assets to have Pittsburgh make the deal. As it is, I'm not sure if 3 assets are enough to entice the Pens to pull the trigger. Just wanted to see if there was any interest.
When you give up a potential top pairing d-man, a potential top line winger, and a potential top line center it is giving up too much, and they are all younger than Malkin. No way we give up three of the cornerstones of the franchise.

ibleedblue8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 10:52 PM
  #5
The Grouch
Enraged
 
The Grouch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 1,599
vCash: 500
The Blues say no thanks! I would consider moving that package for Crosby(who I realize is not available), but not Malkin. A few seasons from now I wouldn't be surprised if Erik Johnson was more valuable than Malkin all by himself. This trade would set the Blues back.

The Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 12:10 AM
  #6
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!
 
2 Minute Minor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Country: United States
Posts: 6,662
vCash: 50
I'd trade Perron, Pietro and Berglund for Malkin, signed to a long-term deal front-loaded so as to not cripple the cap structure.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 10:08 AM
  #7
trevorftw
Voice of Reason
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 373
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
I'd trade Perron, Pietro and Berglund for Malkin, signed to a long-term deal front-loaded so as to not cripple the cap structure.
Yep, I'd be all over that. The only way I wouldn't do it is if this was offered next season, and beglund bounced back in a big way (at least 65pts) and Pie had a huge year (calder nom). Even then I'd think pretty hard about it.

trevorftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 10:18 AM
  #8
SteenMachine
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Fenton, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 4,109
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skk82 View Post
Are three players half the team? For a 24 year old superstar that's one year removed from winning the Art Ross and Conn Smythe?

Maybe the price is too rich, but it would take assets to have Pittsburgh make the deal. As it is, I'm not sure if 3 assets are enough to entice the Pens to pull the trigger. Just wanted to see if there was any interest.
Dude they won't even attempt to sign Kovalchuk for just the salary cap / budget reasons... there's no way they'd blow up the youth movement to indulge Pittsburgh after putting too much salary into too few players and give them a way brighter future than they would have had being pressed to the cap and taking a hit on trade value.

SteenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 10:34 AM
  #9
trevorftw
Voice of Reason
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 373
vCash: 50
A trade for Malkin (long term) would be the biggest since maybe hull. We'd instantly become a cup contender even without bergy and perron.

Malkin and kovalchuk aren't exactly the same player, but I have to say, Blues management would be crazy not to offer a contract to Kovalchuk. I think all of that nonsense about not spending 10m on one player was just keep us all from being disappointed if things don't work out, which they probably wont.

trevorftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 10:34 AM
  #10
Skk82
Registered User
 
Skk82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Arlington, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,107
vCash: 500
Wouldn't blame you for not wanting to "put all the eggs in one basket" by trading a bunch of very good talent for a great one.

Salary wise I don't think acquiring Malkin compares to adding a $9 million UFA. If the Blues keep Perron/EJ/Berglund, guess what, those guys are going to combine to make what Malkin makes very soon. That's why they can't/don't want to add Kovalchuk -- who's older and a lot less of a diverse talent than Malkin.

Also I wouldn't say trading a few pieces for a superstar center who turns 24 next month really blows up your youth movement. Malkin's only a few months older than Oshie, you realize that right?

Skk82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 10:46 AM
  #11
SteenMachine
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Fenton, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 4,109
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skk82 View Post
Wouldn't blame you for not wanting to "put all the eggs in one basket" by trading a bunch of very good talent for a great one.

Salary wise I don't think acquiring Malkin compares to adding a $9 million UFA. If the Blues keep Perron/EJ/Berglund, guess what, those guys are going to combine to make what Malkin makes very soon. That's why they can't/don't want to add Kovalchuk -- who's older and a lot less of a diverse talent than Malkin.

Also I wouldn't say trading a few pieces for a superstar center who turns 24 next month really blows up your youth movement. Malkin's only a few months older than Oshie, you realize that right?
Oh while I agree he'd make us a better team when it comes to proven talent, I just don't see this front office being the one to do it. MAYBE when the financial backing is solidified again with a new investor(s) they'll feel comfortable having another player making more than the 6MM they gave to Kariya. It just seems like right now they're in hold out mode and wouldn't be as quick to pull the trigger as one might imagine.

Again you're right this isn't about just talent or just age or just money I think it's about them feeling comfortable in moving on from all they've preached and putting up the assets to acquire elite / generational quality scoring talent.

(There's an innate fear of repeating past ownership mistakes of blockbuster trades biting us in the ass come playoff time and watching all of our assets succeed around the league rather than win a Cup collectively in the Blue Note)

SteenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 11:43 AM
  #12
Skk82
Registered User
 
Skk82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Arlington, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,107
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyesinBlue View Post
Oh while I agree he'd make us a better team when it comes to proven talent, I just don't see this front office being the one to do it. MAYBE when the financial backing is solidified again with a new investor(s) they'll feel comfortable having another player making more than the 6MM they gave to Kariya. It just seems like right now they're in hold out mode and wouldn't be as quick to pull the trigger as one might imagine.
At the same time, the Penguins aren't shopping Malkin. This wasn't an exercise in what any of us actually see's happening by the people with jobs -- they won't even come close to talking.

I was more interested to see what as Blues fan, you'd be interested as establishing as a fair value.

Skk82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 11:44 AM
  #13
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!
 
2 Minute Minor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Country: United States
Posts: 6,662
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skk82 View Post
Wouldn't blame you for not wanting to "put all the eggs in one basket" by trading a bunch of very good talent for a great one.

Salary wise I don't think acquiring Malkin compares to adding a $9 million UFA. If the Blues keep Perron/EJ/Berglund, guess what, those guys are going to combine to make what Malkin makes very soon. That's why they can't/don't want to add Kovalchuk -- who's older and a lot less of a diverse talent than Malkin.

Also I wouldn't say trading a few pieces for a superstar center who turns 24 next month really blows up your youth movement. Malkin's only a few months older than Oshie, you realize that right?
Getting a player like Malkin would be huge for the Blues. Trading some assets to get him is exactly the type of move I expect to see the team making in the next couple years. There's more young talent to bring in to replace the guys that go away.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 01:06 PM
  #14
ChicagoBlues
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,564
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
Getting a player like Malkin would be huge for the Blues. Trading some assets to get him is exactly the type of move I expect to see the team making in the next couple years. There's more young talent to bring in to replace the guys that go away.
Right again Doc! This is going to happen; it's only a matter of time. I just hope that Armstrong and JD don't pull a bunch of Palushaj-type trades.

ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 02:06 PM
  #15
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!
 
2 Minute Minor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Country: United States
Posts: 6,662
vCash: 50
Palushaj is exactly the type of player I expect to see sliding up into a vacated spot from trading a guy like, say Perron. I'm still pretty baffled by the trade there. Either D'Agostini has something they saw that hasn't surfaced yet, or Palushaj had some red flags they are being quiet about.

Now there's Sonne, McRae and Eller (though I'm already penciling him in the regular line-up).

I still think the timing is off for a trade like this for the Blues, but its the type of move they need to make at the right time. JD has pretty much been saying this for a couple years now.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 07:06 PM
  #16
Skk82
Registered User
 
Skk82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Arlington, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,107
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
Palushaj is exactly the type of player I expect to see sliding up into a vacated spot from trading a guy like, say Perron. I'm still pretty baffled by the trade there. Either D'Agostini has something they saw that hasn't surfaced yet, or Palushaj had some red flags they are being quiet about.

Now there's Sonne, McRae and Eller (though I'm already penciling him in the regular line-up).

I still think the timing is off for a trade like this for the Blues, but its the type of move they need to make at the right time. JD has pretty much been saying this for a couple years now.
I'd love to see a pure skill, slick winger the caliber of Perron to play on Crosby's line. It's a shame that the Pens don't have any useful trading chips for St. Louis for this.

I would say ask what happens if Pittsburgh signs Perron to an offer sheet, say $3.1 million for 4 years (right at the threshold where they only forfeit a 2nd rounder). Now Perron may not even sign that, since I heard he may be looking for more money....Hypothetically do you think STL would match on Perron for $3?

Skk82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 09:13 PM
  #17
SIU LAW
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 453
vCash: 500
I think the Blues would match that.

I wish the Blues could pry Staal out of the Pens. I think that would be a more realistic deal, and would give Staal a chance to play a bigger offensive role.

SIU LAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 10:36 PM
  #18
ibleedblue8
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: St. Louis, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 264
vCash: 500
Blues match that offer without hesitation

ibleedblue8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 11:30 PM
  #19
ChicagoBlues
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,564
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skk82 View Post
I'd love to see a pure skill, slick winger the caliber of Perron to play on Crosby's line. It's a shame that the Pens don't have any useful trading chips for St. Louis for this.

I would say ask what happens if Pittsburgh signs Perron to an offer sheet, say $3.1 million for 4 years (right at the threshold where they only forfeit a 2nd rounder). Now Perron may not even sign that, since I heard he may be looking for more money....Hypothetically do you think STL would match on Perron for $3?
If Perron signed an offer sheet from Pittsburgh for $3.1M, then I think all of Blues Nation would love Ray Shero for life. The Blues would match it in a heartbeat. And a deal like that would make Perron very tradeable.

ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 01:11 PM
  #20
SteenMachine
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Fenton, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 4,109
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoBlues View Post
If Perron signed an offer sheet from Pittsburgh for $3.1M, then I think all of Blues Nation would love Ray Shero for life. The Blues would match it in a heartbeat. And a deal like that would make Perron very tradeable.
Wouldn't we have to wait a whole year to do it though?

SteenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 04:34 PM
  #21
ChicagoBlues
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,564
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyesinBlue View Post
Wouldn't we have to wait a whole year to do it though?
Not sure. I was thinking that if it was a 4-year deal, then in a year or two Perron would be very tradeable. But let's hope that he busts out--like I think he will--next season with 30 goals.

ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:07 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.