HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Anyone else feel equipment costs hinder the growth of the sport in NA?

Old
06-09-2010, 06:04 PM
RainbowDash
20% Cooler

vCash: 500
Anyone else feel equipment costs hinder the growth of the sport in NA?

I love this sport, but anyone else feel that the equipment costs stop this sport from growing?

You can't suggest it to friends cause they'd rather buy an Xbox and join a GYM instead.
You can't suggest the sport for their kids because every other sport is cheaper to get into.

Correct me if I'm wrong, Sharks GM Doug Wilson expressed these equipment costs concerns at the professional level in a GM meeting this year.
This is a problem for the sport. Comments? Suggestions? Experiences to share?

RainbowDash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 06:06 PM
Ducks

I think the cost and availability of ice time is far worse than equipment costs long term.

Ducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 06:10 PM
RainbowDash
20% Cooler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks View Post
I think the cost and availability of ice time is far worse than equipment costs long term.
Thats why street hockey exists. But thats another pair of skates you need to buy.

RainbowDash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 06:11 PM
raygunpk
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

and it's not really a "play anywhere" sport like basketball or soccer.

edit i mean for ice/roller.

Last edited by raygunpk: 06-09-2010 at 06:17 PM.
raygunpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 06:24 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

I think it's a legit concern. While pros and people with money to waste like me can spring on occasion for a $200 stick or pair of gloves, kids are constantly growing and growing means new gear is necessary. The companies should consider this, perhaps it would cost them short term but reward them long term by generating more youthful participation.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 06:39 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Maybe, but that's not my problem.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 07:54 PM
MNWild9

Thats why i look for equipment on Ebay. I have found some great buys. Like Pro Stock RBK 9 Gloves for 40.00 thats really cheap. I only play beer league hockey and I don't complain about buying a 200.00 stick cause I know I have a warrenty through my LHS.

MNWild9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 08:21 PM
raygunpk
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Maybe, but that's not my problem.
BALLIN!

Old
06-09-2010, 08:29 PM
nickerjones

Send a message via AIM to nickerjones Send a message via Yahoo to nickerjones
Quote:
Originally Posted by raygunpk View Post
BALLIN!

No one has to buy the best of the best to play.. There are tons of places on line to find deals ... Hockeymonkey has clearance as do most of the online places. I use places like Dailyhockeydeal.blogspot.com ... they find cheap gear and post it so you dont have to scour the web.....

I am sure there are tons of other options.. I mean even my local rink in Oklahoma helps younger kids get into the sport. They have a program called Kids FIrst... They outfit the kid in everything they need to play for free, give them practices and ice times for like a month or two. If they like it , the parents pay 200 bucks for the equipment , if not then they return the equipment.

nickerjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 08:40 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerjones View Post
No one has to buy the best of the best to play.. There are tons of places on line to find deals ... Hockeymonkey has clearance as do most of the online places. I use places like Dailyhockeydeal.blogspot.com ... they find cheap gear and post it so you dont have to scour the web.....

I am sure there are tons of other options.. I mean even my local rink in Oklahoma helps younger kids get into the sport. They have a program called Kids FIrst... They outfit the kid in everything they need to play for free, give them practices and ice times for like a month or two. If they like it , the parents pay 200 bucks for the equipment , if not then they return the equipment.
I agree to a point. If you have money and just wait a year you can get all the greatest stuff from last year at about half off. Not that big of a deal since most of your equipment doesn't need to be replaced. But, now they're selling $800 skates. $170 helmets. If you were to look at the cost of equipment on a graph and the cost of the materials that are used to make this gear I think you would see a stunning spike while the costs remain pretty flat. I would like to know how Easton can justify the $170 cost of their top of the line helmet compared to the $120 M11. Where is that extra $50 in their helmet? So, basically, like everything else you buy it comes down to the consumer. You can be a baller and spend on whatever you want as long as you can afford it. And if you cannot afford it there are places like Ebay and Play It Again where you can get equipment. If nobody buys $800 skates Bauer won't make anymore.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 08:47 PM
raygunpk
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerjones View Post

i know where to look for deals, but doesn't mean it's not expensive. a top of the line stick on clearance for $100 is still a hundred bucks.

Old
06-09-2010, 09:00 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Yes.

That's the long and short answer.

Ice time is expensive. Often, to offset that cost your kid will have to play very early in the morning.

Equipment is expensive. Even if you're buying lower end and looking for deals, a growing child will need new equipment every couple of years at least.

Basketball requires shoes, team fees and maybe a uniform fee.
Baseball requires cleats, a glove and a bat (doesn't even require a bat, really, my little league team shared about 5-6 for the whole lineup), league fee and maybe a uniform fee.
Football requires cleats and usually the shoulders and helmet are provided, but even if they're not, that's an additional two pieces, league fee and maybe uniform fee.
Soccer requires cleats, maybe a ball, league fee and uniform fee.

Even Lacrosse requires only gloves, a stick, cleats, many times the team provides the helmet and shoulders, a league fee and a uniform fee.

Hockey requires skates (probably more expensive than any one piece of equipment mentioned so far), gloves, stick(s), helmet, shoulders, shins, pants, elbows, a league fee (definitely more expensive than for any other team) and a uniform fee. Teams don't provide any of it unless it's an elite/sponsored team, so to get a start in the sport you have to buy it all yourself.

Very simply, the cost to play hockey is prohibitive when trying to grow the game in many areas. Where there is natural ice most of the year you only need skates and gloves and are likely to find hand-me-down skates because of where you live and previous generations having played. Once your hooked, you'll spend the money or nag your parents until they do, even if it's all bargain gear. Where there isn't ice year round and you don't get the chance to experience the game before you buy all the gear, it's tough to get parents to commit to the expenses associated with playing. No question about it.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 09:01 PM
nickerjones

Send a message via AIM to nickerjones Send a message via Yahoo to nickerjones
Who needs top of the line equipment if they are just starting? I mean really a wooden stick is gonna work just the same as a composite to someone just learning. Even cheaper composites work for them.... There are so many people, and I am guilty as well , who think it only works if its the biggest and best. Its not true, you can buy a rbk 6k helmet for 40 bucks instead of buying the 10k for 130.

Used equipment from craigslist and ebay can also be used. If they like the game, they can upgrade as they want!

nickerjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 09:07 PM
vinogradov8

Send a message via MSN to vinogradov8
I think thats the only thing preventing it from taking over the US. Both the cost of ice rinks and the cost of equipment. I spent $660 several weeks ago to get decent equipment! And some of it was necessary because my elbow pads were not doing anything. For basketball all you need if $200 and you have some very high end basketball shoes, for hockey, you need around $700-$800 to just get high end skates! And $200 to get a good helmet. And another $180 to get some good gloves. I think the companies are making a HUGE profit of of each piece of equipment.

vinogradov8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 09:14 PM
stick9

Ice and ice-time is what is prohibiting the growth of the sport. Even in areas where ice comes naturally, it's only for a few months out of the year. You need ice to practice the most important skill needed to play hockey. GM's complaining about the cost of gear really doesn't relate to the amateur level. Pros go through so much gear over the course of the year.

I don't think the cost of gear is what is preventing the sport from growing. The NHL does a crappy job at marketing their game. The lack of any real TV contract doesn't help them either. The NHL would be better served putting teams in hockey rich markets instead of forcing them into markets that can't support it.

Hockey is doing fine in Canada and other parts of the world. It's pretty big here in New England and I know it's huge in the Great Lakes region.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 10:19 PM
budster
Schoolyard Puck

People spend money on hobbies they want to pursue. The hard part is giving someone a taste of hockey so they can fall in love with it. Over a year ago I organized a street hockey group and it's grown steadily. Some guys played roller in high school and others are just getting into it. Now there are seven of us that have started playing ice and we all agree it's worth it.

I started a website this year: SchoolyardPuck.com in an effort to make the sport more widely available to those who can't afford (or aren't committed) to joining a league just yet.

Just let people borrow gear for the first few times and usually they will want to buy their own. Playing street hockey only requires a stick and skates, but usually gloves and shin guards are preferred. Buy that equipment and you're almost half way there. Baby steps!

budster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 10:48 PM
nullterm

Ice and ice time is the biggest problem here. 11:30pm start times for men's league games suck when you gotta work in the morning.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 10:57 PM
nycking23

as someone who is trying to start playing hockey myself, its definitely ice time and cost that prohibits growth

i haven't bought my equipment yet, other than skates, as i want to really feel comfortable skating before i go all out, but i know that when the time comes im expecting to lay down a decent bit of money, but i also know that its going to last me, and that its to protect my body from injury

however, ice time is difficult to come by. with my schedule, and im sure im not the only one, i cant seem to find ice time that is easy to get to while maintaining school and work. however, other sports allow pickup games and practice without limits on times

and while the equipment may be more money initially, the ice time keeps adding up and gets pretty expensive, i know when i was on spring break and was skating at two rinks every day, i was spending ~75 during the week just to skate. add in league fees (when i start), stick and puck sessions, open hockey, and im spending a ton of money just to get on the ice

nycking23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 11:57 PM
raygunpk
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullterm View Post
Ice and ice time is the biggest problem here. 11:30pm start times for men's league games suck when you gotta work in the morning.
oh hello ice604 winter league player

Old
06-10-2010, 02:22 AM
Defgarden

I think most of the nails have been hit here, including lack of ice time, expenses incurred with getting said ice time, and equipment costs. But beyond that, there is also the amount of time investment required to play.

I think many people have tried public skating, and either like it, or they absolutely hate it because it's such an unnatural way of moving. If people like it, and then get interested in hockey, then they run into the above issues, but many people don't even get to that point because they find the concept of playing hockey quite absurd. I don't know, just an idea.

Defgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 02:32 AM
10 ft. pole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defgarden View Post
I think most of the nails have been hit here, including lack of ice time, expenses incurred with getting said ice time, and equipment costs. But beyond that, there is also the amount of time investment required to play.

I think many people have tried public skating, and either like it, or they absolutely hate it because it's such an unnatural way of moving. If people like it, and then get interested in hockey, then they run into the above issues, but many people don't even get to that point because they find the concept of playing hockey quite absurd. I don't know, just an idea.
Hockey is the private school of sports. It keeps inner city youth and lesser desirables out for the most part.

10 ft. pole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 05:28 AM
CJV123

No. There's plenty of used equipment. It's the cost of the ice time that is the barrier to entry.

CJV123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 06:59 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

It's both, but as I said before, I'm fine with hockey being the way it is.

Right now, there's probably 50+ rinks in the metro area around here, and ice is already expensive at well over $100 an hour. All the prime time ice is taken up by youth leagues, so the only available times are late night and early morning. If hockey exploded in popularity, ice costs would shoot up even more.

There's no reason kids can't play shinny outside in the winter just like they've been doing for the last 100+ years. That's where the love of the game is born.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 07:10 AM
usahockey22flyers
Classic Coburn...

I think it may affect some people, but most parents in America and definatly in Canada are willing to pay the extra 100-200 dollars

usahockey22flyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 09:15 AM
Rob Brown
Way She Goes

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniversalRemonster View Post
Thats why street hockey exists. But thats another pair of skates you need to buy.
You don't need skates for street hockey.

Rob Brown is offline   Reply With Quote