HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

How much contact in pickup is too much?

Old
06-09-2010, 02:42 AM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

vCash: 500
How much contact in pickup is too much?

I took a day to think about an incident that occurred during a game of pickup yesterday. It's the first time I've seen someone legitimately retaliate against something they didn't like.

The puck was about 15 feet inside the blue line in my offensive zone and I was covering the point for a dman that pinched in. I was quicker than the forward covering me (about halfway in between myself and the puck) and managed to dart in front of him to hold the zone. I gained position and leaned in a little bit to protect the puck and his momentum to him into me and then he hit the ice. Upon doing so, he decides to take a fairly hard two-hand chop on my shin yelling all kinds of swear words along the lines of, "wtf is your problem, this is pickup. why would you ****ing do that?" granted, i rock some fairly large and protective shin guards, all I could do was, admittedly, smirk and try to explain. He just dropped a glove and went for his helmet like he wanted to settle it but ultimately other players just yelled out to stop him.

As far as his skills go, I'd put them about on par as mine across the board on average. He has better dangles and passes but I skate better and have a better shot. It all evens out.

My question, is this normal? Are adult leagues worse? On par? Depends? I wasn't worried, I did kind of like it. Just curious.

Hopefully, I explained myself well enough. If not, I can try to do better.

Splitbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 03:34 AM
no.95

Depends on who you're playing against. Some players are fine with a bit of physical play and can take a hit, as long as the person giving the hit can take one himself. Usually where I play we know each other and there's sort of an unspoken general agreement of who's hitable and who's not, who knows how to defend themselves properly and so on.

If there's basically no physical play at all where you play I can kind of understand that he'd be upset. Although I do think he definitely overreacted by swinging his stick at you, a bit of mouthing would have been enough. Or better yet, he could have tried to get back at you in a similar fashion.

no.95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 06:26 AM
Injektilo

Send a message via MSN to Injektilo
If it's just pickup, you should really only be making contact on people you're friends with and know well. Otherwise, you're a dick.

Injektilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 07:10 AM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Even if it's your friends you shouldn't be trying to lay huge open ice hits or check them hard into the boards. Giving a little shoulder to knock a guy off the puck isn't that bad though especially if you know him. Cross checks and slashes should never happen though.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 07:12 AM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Injektilo View Post
If it's just pickup, you should really only be making contact on people you're friends with and know well. Otherwise, you're a dick.
Ditto!

adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 08:06 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Pickup will have a mixed bag of people wanting to get different things out of it, with some individuals who believe in a little a contact, others a good deal of contact and others virtually no contact at all. Unless you know your man well, you probably assume none until you get to know him, then settle into whatever dynamic is tacitly agreed. If you're not crazy about that setup, you might want to look around for a contact league, although those can be harder to find sometimes.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 08:18 AM
noobman

There's usually a standard. Figure out what it is and stick to it.

I play with two groups. The first group doesn't like any contact at all. Even an errand stick or an incidental bump along the boards will get guys swearing at you. The second group is OK with you bumping guys, jossling for position, or battling along the boards, and the "better" players are considered fair game for full contact. The first group is mostly former AA guys and current C level players (aka a bunch of primma donnas who don't share the puck), while the second group ranges from some ex-AHL and OHL guys to D level players, all of whom seem to understand that everybody paid to play and deserves some time with the puck.

I don't see a problem with leaning on a guy. If he fell that easily, it's because he had a poor stance and wasn't very stable on his skates at the time. Either tell him to suck it up and get over it, or exolain to him why a little bump knocked him off his feet so easily, and what he could do to prevent that in the future.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 09:38 AM
Turboflex*

protecting the puck with your body is an essential part of the game who can you possibly consider that contact?? This sort of thing is legal in basketball even, or soccer!! What are you supposed to do just let him run in and take it?? It's not like you were throwing body checks around you had the puck for christ's sake. He bumped into you and fell onto his ass, he is an IDIOT for getting all excited and was probably just embarrassed he failed so hard and wanted to salvage his pride by acting all hamas like.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 09:39 AM
rinkrat22

the way I read it YOU had possesion of the puck and used your body to protect it? Could anyone please explain to me how you lay a CHECK when you have the puck on your stick. the whole point of the check (stick, body, sweep,etc) is to force the man in possesion of the puck to lose possesion. if this tool cannot skate well enough and you were in fact protecting the puck I'd tell the dbag to learn to skate.

rinkrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 10:27 AM
nesford2457

Yes adult leagues are worse. You always get a team that sucks and resorts to being ********. Every league is different though I play in one that allows contact along the boards but nothing in open ice, and another where you will get called for any contact.

nesford2457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 12:14 PM
fearitself

Sounds like hockey to me. As much as we might try to avoid it, contact is inevitable in any game.

I know in my case as a smaller player, if I know I am about to collide with a player whether it be we're both chasing a loose puck coming from opposite directions or we just don't see each other till the last second, If I take my foot off the gas I am going to get hurt. Not because im an *******, but because I don't trust other players to let up. I used to just let my body go limp and try and absorb the contact that way but more often than not the other player will put his shoulder down.

Sounds like you made a legit play to me... Nothing says you're not allow to protect the puck in pickup hockey.

fearitself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 04:22 PM
Steelhead16

If it was contact on a play where you were both going for the puck all is good. As long as it wasn't a check thrown on purpose then you are fine. The only guys who cry about it are ones who have never played contact hockey before and don't have a clue what real check is. Don't sweat it and just keep playing. If that guy doesn't like contact he will learn eventually and go find something else to do.

Steelhead16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 05:38 PM
Frankie Spankie

That guy just sounds like a little *****. Seriously, you're supposed to protect the puck with your body when you have to. Does he expect you to let him just grab the puck from you? If he can't handle you using your body to protect the puck, he shouldn't be playing hockey. Hell, you didn't even hit him, you said he skated into you, that's his problem.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 08:05 PM
sbkbghockey

Contact at pickup hockey does happen (usually quite often) in most pickup hockey "games" I've played in most people play similar to men's league rules I.E "No hitting"- a lot different from "no contact!"

I since being home from college I play with two pickup groups

1) one rink has advanced pickup hockey with lots of ACHA DII, ACHA DI, Jr B, Jr A, NCAA DIII and every now and then a NCAA DI and/or minor pro player. In that group contact happens very regularly and even some light hits. Everyone knows this, plays hard and fast more similar to scrimmages at team practices where hitting is more excepted but still shouldn’t completely level your teammate in a practice scrimmage. Its a lot more crowded on semester breaks and during the summer, I used to go when I was away at school and home on breaks, everyone there is there because they want to keep their skills up over breaks and a lot of ppl played against each other on rival college teams, played Jr Hockey together, etc.. so its fun seeing everyone.

2) The other group is a mix of some higher level players (usually no higher ACHA and Jr A/B ) but also some guys that are just learning the game. I and the majority of better players that have been around the game, try to avoid contact with the newbies- In one recent case I reached in and stole the puck from one at a high rate of speed, didn’t touch him except for lifting his stick to get the puck and that was enough to send him flying like he got rocked by Chris Pronger.

At my Type 2 pickup, and it may have been your case, some of the inexperienced players only know hockey from watching the NHL and minor pro hockey, and lack the knowledge of pickup etiquette etc... so if you do something they don't like, they'll get up from getting tripped or bumped into ("big check" for them) and start throwing. I've never had any problems but I've seen a few fights in pickup because of this.

sbkbghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 08:13 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Injektilo View Post
BS. Pickup means no hitting, not no contact. It's still hockey.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 08:55 PM
Hrad

At my pickup/shinny NOBODY wears ANY equipment, so no contact/pushing shoving is kind of obvious. It's basically just skating around because nobody wants to kill anyone

Anybody else find that it hurts more to fall on the ice then outside on concrete or something?

Hrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 10:47 PM
vinogradov8

Send a message via MSN to vinogradov8
My theory: If your a wimp and can't take a hit, you shouldn't be playing hockey! I understand that adult leagues may want to limit contact to reduce injury to working people, but if your playing on a team and complaining about contact, then just quit. Defenders should be defending the star players and the goalie, and if your not willing to do that then just play in your wimp league (except adult leagues ofcourse). I am all for sacrifice for the team.

vinogradov8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 12:01 AM
CuteHockeyBunny

When someone hits you first, it's probably just an invitation. Their way of telling you that they feel they're at your caliber of play and physicality and want you to turn up your game by a notch to add some excitement. If you don't hit back, they usually stop. If you hit back, woo, hockey time.

CuteHockeyBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 12:33 AM
Lario Melieux*

Pickup is usually more laid back. No shoulder/elbow pads and apologies if you knock someone over. I've seen some intensity in non-contact adult leagues though. Mostly older guys who approach adult league as an NHL game like they have something to prove.

Regardless, you don't swing your stick at someone.

Lario Melieux* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 01:05 AM
10 ft. pole

Had a roller hockey player try to go low on a hipcheck on me last weekend. He is about 5'10 165. I go about 6' and 205. I've been playing in this P/U for 5 years. He's been showing up once or twice a month for 6 months. I have had 3 knee operations. I gave him the whoa man what are you doing going for my knees. He skated away with his back turned and said" that's hockey." So I waited til he went to the front of the net and pounded his kidneys with cross checks until he moved. Dude didn't say a word. I skated to the bench and he butt ends me. Next shift I purposely look for him and when I see him come across the middle get as low as I can and floor the dude with the hardest hit I can.

Dude drops like a sack of taters. Gets up complaining to the rink manager who has been watching the entire scrimmage. He listens to him then says "that's hockey". Whether it be scrimmage, beer league, pick up, or an NHL game. Best philosophy to live by is. Don't start no ****. Won't be no ****.

Hockey is a mans game act accordingly.

10 ft. pole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 01:10 AM
Razzmatazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitbtw View Post
I took a day to think about an incident that occurred during a game of pickup yesterday. It's the first time I've seen someone legitimately retaliate against something they didn't like.

The puck was about 15 feet inside the blue line in my offensive zone and I was covering the point for a dman that pinched in. I was quicker than the forward covering me (about halfway in between myself and the puck) and managed to dart in front of him to hold the zone. I gained position and leaned in a little bit to protect the puck and his momentum to him into me and then he hit the ice. Upon doing so, he decides to take a fairly hard two-hand chop on my shin yelling all kinds of swear words along the lines of, "wtf is your problem, this is pickup. why would you ****ing do that?" granted, i rock some fairly large and protective shin guards, all I could do was, admittedly, smirk and try to explain. He just dropped a glove and went for his helmet like he wanted to settle it but ultimately other players just yelled out to stop him.

As far as his skills go, I'd put them about on par as mine across the board on average. He has better dangles and passes but I skate better and have a better shot. It all evens out.

My question, is this normal? Are adult leagues worse? On par? Depends? I wasn't worried, I did kind of like it. Just curious.

Hopefully, I explained myself well enough. If not, I can try to do better.
I don't see anything wrong with the antagonizing incident, if you are all in full pads. He's the one who should be thrown off the ice.

Razzmatazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 09:05 AM
Wease

If you had the puck and leaned in on him to protect it, that's all part of the game and happens at every pickup game I've ever played in. If he fell, that's his fault, not yours. You didn't purposely knock him down, you were protecting the puck with your body. That's hockey from D level all the way up to the Pros. Maybe he needs to feel what a real, actual body check is.

Wease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 09:14 AM
Chalupa Batman
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrad View Post
At my pickup/shinny NOBODY wears ANY equipment
Please define (as I don't believe that nobody wears any equipment at all).

Chalupa Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 04:55 PM
Hrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor No View Post
Please define (as I don't believe that nobody wears any equipment at all).
Normal attire consists of skates, gloves, helmet and stick.

You're allowed to wear equipment, but nobody does. It's ages 13-17 so I guess people are there just to kind of "chillax" and don't feel like dragging around all their equipment.

1 out of 20 guys has shin pads, 1 out of 75 guys has full equipment.

That's why it's just really easy going and "Oh crap! Sorry man!" if you accidentally hit/shoot someone.

Hrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 08:38 PM
rinkrat22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 ft. pole View Post
Had a roller hockey player try to go low on a hipcheck on me last weekend. He is about 5'10 165. I go about 6' and 205. I've been playing in this P/U for 5 years. He's been showing up once or twice a month for 6 months. I have had 3 knee operations. I gave him the whoa man what are you doing going for my knees. He skated away with his back turned and said" that's hockey." So I waited til he went to the front of the net and pounded his kidneys with cross checks until he moved. Dude didn't say a word. I skated to the bench and he butt ends me. Next shift I purposely look for him and when I see him come across the middle get as low as I can and floor the dude with the hardest hit I can.

Dude drops like a sack of taters. Gets up complaining to the rink manager who has been watching the entire scrimmage. He listens to him then says "that's hockey". Whether it be scrimmage, beer league, pick up, or an NHL game. Best philosophy to live by is. Don't start no ****. Won't be no ****.

Hockey is a mans game act accordingly.
it doesn't get any simpler than that, does it?

rinkrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote