HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blues start talking to Mason about a contract extension

Old
06-10-2010, 08:45 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
what is your prospect situation in goal?

Whoever said Turco might come because of Armstrong could be right if you have a player who is ready to be a backup/transition to starter and could use a mentor. But If your best prospect is more than a year away then Mason is probably a better option provided he's reasonable about $$.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 09:00 AM
ChicagoBlues

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
what is your prospect situation in goal?

Whoever said Turco might come because of Armstrong could be right if you have a player who is ready to be a backup/transition to starter and could use a mentor. But If your best prospect is more than a year away then Mason is probably a better option provided he's reasonable about $$.
The Blues' goaltending prospects are more than one year away.

ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 12:30 PM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustle and Flow View Post
I think the bottom line is the Blues would like to have him back, but there are a lot of viable options out there so they arent going to bend over backwards for him. Armstrong might want to put his stamp on this team in his first offseason in charge, and could bring in his guy in Turco or go after a young goalie to make his own. Nabakov and Ellis are other guys who could be brought in if Mason is too expensive.

So between the vets (Turco, Nabby, and Ellis) or young guys available via trade (Price/Halak, Schneider, Harding, Bernier, etc.), I could see the Blues playing hardball with Mason.
I don't see it that way. I think Mason is an average goalie but at the same time, he likely is (unfortunately) the best option for the Blues. Are Turco or Nabby really any better than Mason? They could very well cost more than Mason as well. All things considered, I'd take Mason over those two. I've never been too impressed with Ellis. Ellis is a good backup option IMO.

As for the young guys - I don't think they're nearly as much of an option as some think.

Schneider? He'll very likely be the Canucks backup next year. Besides, JD is already on record as saying that when they were interested in him, it wasn't as a starter, it was for his future. Even if the Blues did acquire Schnieder, there's no way they would risk just giving him the starter's role - this season is too important for that risky of a move. The ownership needs to make money and to do that, they need to make the playoffs. They're not going to put that much risk into a rookie goalie.

Bernier? He's not going anywhere. Not an option. People should stop mentioning his name. LA trading Bernier is about as likely as Boston trading Rask. There's absolutely no reason for them to do it. Cross him off your list. He'll likely play a good chunk of games in the NHL this season behind Quick but I don't think it'll be too long before he's the starter there. Perhaps Quick might be an option a year or so from now.

Harding? He's injured and will be coming back from surgery. It's very doubtful any team would want to trade for him until he can prove his hip is ok after returning to the lineup. Also, he's Minny's backup and they don't really have much of a reason to trade him nor do they really have anyone else to be Backstrom's backup already in their system. Only if Harding really plays hardball as he's a RFA this summer would the Wild even consider trading him at this point in time (while his trade value is low since he's injured). Of all of the options, he would be ok IMO as he would likely be a decent option to platoon with Conks but I don't see him leaving Minny quite yet.

Halak? He's going nowhere. No way MTL lets him go after the playoffs he just had.

Price? He'll likely get traded...although I'm hearing that now perhaps both Halak and Price are more comfortable with the idea of both of them returning to MTL. We'll see how that one shakes out. Perhaps the Blues have already inquired about Price and either aren't that interested in his services or aren't willing to part with what MTL would want in return.

Quite simply, I don't think the goalie market looks as good as some make it out to be. I wish there was a better option out there but I think that Mason is likely the Blues best option at this point in time.

Last edited by STL fan in IA: 06-10-2010 at 12:38 PM.
STL fan in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 05:14 PM
EOM

^ I agree with you. The way I see it, we have a good backup already in Conklin, so if we get a goalie via trade or free agency it would have to be a starter as an upgrade over Mason.

Trading for Schneider doesn't quite fit because he's likely not ready to be a starter, and Conklin isn't good enough to be a starter.

The goalies on the free agent market aren't much better, if at all, than Mason, and will be more expensive.

The only two good options for starters would be Price or Harding. I think there's a good chance they'll be better than Mason next season, and they are young with upside. I'd like to see the Blues go after Price but it doesn't look like that's going to happen since they're talking to Mason about an extension.

EOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 10:10 PM
theRedAce9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrokh View Post
I'm excited about this.

Because goal is not a weak area. Chris Mason is not elite, but he's better than average and he's better than either of the starting goalies in the finals. The only question is how long he will remain at this level and when Allen (or Bishop) will be ready, or when the Blues will need to seek out an alternative. If they re-sign Mason for a couple years, that buys them time to evaluate until the team, as a whole, is ready to take the next step.

Elite offense is great, but if you notice, the only elite offensive players on either team in the finals who were not drafted by the teams are Hossa and Pronger. And it's arguable in Hossa's case in the past few seasons.

Temper your expectations.

I'd like to point out that Philly and Chicago made it to the Finals with mediocre goatlending because they are STACKED at other positions in ways the Blues and most other teams are not. Don't mistake that for it meaning that goatlending is somehow less important all of a sudden because Philly and Chicago made it to the Finals. Great goatlending covers up for other weaknesses in your lineup faster than anything else.

theRedAce9* is offline   Reply With Quote