HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Stafford for rights to Wheeler

Old
06-08-2010, 03:29 PM
Zeke14

vCash: 500
Stafford for rights to Wheeler

I'm a displaced Sabre fan now living near Boston, as such, I hear what Bruins fans think of their teams players. Wheeler is thought of in the same way that we look at Staff and not really wanted back (by the fan base at least), it seems like some kind of deal could be worked out to give both players a fresh start.

Both were 1st round picks and are still young.
Both are underacchieving with their current clubs and posting similar numbers. I think both would benefit from a trade.

Stafford is a cap hit of 1.9M and a RFA after next year (easy fit for boston, a team with cap concerns), Wheeler is a RFA in the current year and could be signed for under 3 mil.

I would think they have very similar values.

If a second round pick had to go to boston due to Wheelers RFA status it might not be worth it but then again, Blake is the better player... and we wouldn't have drew anymore.

Thoughts?

Zeke14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 03:54 PM
SiriusBizinuez
Jakub might kill you

What, in your opinion, is Wheeler's biggest flaw? I see he has size, does he use it effectively? Does it seem to be a lack of effort, lack of skill, lack of hockey smarts? Just curious what it is that makes Bruins Nation sour on him.

SiriusBizinuez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 04:03 PM
Better Call Saul

I'd do it. Keep in mind Vanek and Wheeler are very close friends. Wheeler wears 26 because of Vanek and TV named his son Blake. Having them on the same team -- maybe even the same line -- could light a fire under both.

Better Call Saul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 04:13 PM
Ron Barr
Doing it to Death

Wheeler and Stafford are basically the same player, but maybe a change of scenery would work for both.

Ron Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 06:13 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffnoceros View Post
I'd do it. Keep in mind Vanek and Wheeler are very close friends. Wheeler wears 26 because of Vanek and TV named his son Blake. Having them on the same team -- maybe even the same line -- could light a fire under both.
I didn't know that. Do you have any articles about that? Not that I don't believe you.

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 07:04 PM
letsgobuffalo16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeGiftingMan View Post
I didn't know that. Do you have any articles about that? Not that I don't believe you.
here ya go.

The back story: Wheeler idolized Vanek as a teenager and followed the Sabres winger to the University of Minnesota. His man-crush on Vanek was so intense that when somebody suggested in Boston he wear No. 18 get it, 18 Wheeler? the rookie insisted on wearing No. 26 because that was Vanek's number with the Sabres.

http://www.buffalonews.com/2010/04/1...animosity.html

letsgobuffalo16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 07:29 PM
Kruschiki

I don't think you'd need to give up Stafford for the rights to Wheeler. I like him as a player, though.

Kruschiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 08:18 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

I'd much rather move Stafford for help down the middle or at D than for another winger, where (especially if Vanek moves to RW) we are pretty deep with Hecht/Ennis/Kennedy/Gerbe at LW and Vanek/Pominville/Grier/Stafford/Kaleta at RW. I don't think getting a winger back for Stafford makes a ton of sense without shipping away one of those other wingers.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 10:10 PM
Zeke14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusBizinuez View Post
What, in your opinion, is Wheeler's biggest flaw? I see he has size, does he use it effectively? Does it seem to be a lack of effort, lack of skill, lack of hockey smarts? Just curious what it is that makes Bruins Nation sour on him.
He isn't physical in the least, most bruins fans don't like that. His other main knock is the same as stafford: underacchieving, so its construed as a lack of effort.

Last edited by Zeke14: 06-08-2010 at 10:29 PM.
Old
06-08-2010, 10:12 PM
Zeke14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2189 View Post
Wheeler and Stafford are basically the same player, but maybe a change of scenery would work for both.
Exactly my point, a trade would help both teams/players IMO

Old
06-08-2010, 10:27 PM
Zeke14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
I'd much rather move Stafford for help down the middle or at D than for another winger, where (especially if Vanek moves to RW) we are pretty deep with Hecht/Ennis/Kennedy/Gerbe at LW and Vanek/Pominville/Grier/Stafford/Kaleta at RW. I don't think getting a winger back for Stafford makes a ton of sense without shipping away one of those other wingers.
Personally, i wouldn't be comfortable with gerbe, roy, and ennis all being in the lineup - too small of a group of forwards for a team with little physical presence.

Wheeler would be a big body (allbeit not physical) who would not only replace stafford, but free up the option to move another winger in a trade. I'd move a small forward like gerbe (preferable) or ennis and hopefully get deeper in one of the positions you mentioned (C or D).

Old
06-08-2010, 11:04 PM
Ron Barr
Doing it to Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke14 View Post
Personally, i wouldn't be comfortable with gerbe, roy, and ennis all being in the lineup - too small of a group of forwards for a team with little physical presence.

Wheeler would be a big body (allbeit not physical) who would not only replace stafford, but free up the option to move another winger in a trade. I'd move a small forward like gerbe (preferable) or ennis and hopefully get deeper in one of the positions you mentioned (C or D).
Trading Ennis is not an option IMO. He worked too hard and played too well in his first 16 NHL games to be in any sort of trade discussion. Plus he's becoming good friends with Myers. If your two top prospects are good friends, you keep them together as long as possible, not trade one of them away.

If Ennis keeps playing like he did late last year he'll be our best forward easily.

Ron Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 09:30 AM
zbubble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke14 View Post
I'm a displaced Sabre fan now living near Boston, as such, I hear what Bruins fans think of their teams players. Wheeler is thought of in the same way that we look at Staff and not really wanted back (by the fan base at least), it seems like some kind of deal could be worked out to give both players a fresh start.

Both were 1st round picks and are still young.
Both are underacchieving with their current clubs and posting similar numbers. I think both would benefit from a trade.

Stafford is a cap hit of 1.9M and a RFA after next year (easy fit for boston, a team with cap concerns), Wheeler is a RFA in the current year and could be signed for under 3 mil.

I would think they have very similar values.

If a second round pick had to go to boston due to Wheelers RFA status it might not be worth it but then again, Blake is the better player... and we wouldn't have drew anymore.

Thoughts?
Stafford and Wheeler are pretty much equals in terms of average point production. Sending Stafford and a 2nd for essentially the same player but with a higher price tag just doesn't make any sense at all.

zbubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 09:41 AM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgobuffalo16 View Post
here ya go.

The back story: Wheeler idolized Vanek as a teenager and followed the Sabres winger to the University of Minnesota. His man-crush on Vanek was so intense that when somebody suggested in Boston he wear No. 18 get it, 18 Wheeler? the rookie insisted on wearing No. 26 because that was Vanek's number with the Sabres.

http://www.buffalonews.com/2010/04/1...animosity.html
Creepy. I don't want Wheeler at all now.

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 10:33 AM
fightclubber25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffnoceros View Post
or it could propel this teams core even further into a buddy buddy nonchalant state of mind

but, with the prospect of getting stafford off the team and seeing what wheeler could be able to do with a more talented group of guys than he has in boston.. id do it in a heartbeat. change of scenery trades are often some of the best ones. you dont always have to hose another team for a star player for a trade to be good. you can trade crap for crap and end up getting gold.. but you dont know unless you try!

fightclubber25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 11:38 AM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeGiftingMan View Post
Creepy. I don't want Wheeler at all now.
if Wheeler is acquired by Buffalo, can't wear 26 as long as Vanek is still a Sabre.....

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 11:50 AM
Stanford

didn't Vanek lay Wheeler out pretty good in the playoffs right after that story came out?

Stanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 12:00 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
didn't Vanek lay Wheeler out pretty good in the playoffs right after that story came out?
If you mean, run him face-first into the boards then yes.

06-09-2010, 12:34 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
It was right after the hit if you read Bucky's column that was linked to earlier.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 09:53 AM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1390
I'd be extremely wary of a player who left dollars on the table not to sign with the team that drafted him. At least Stafford wants to be here. I'm not so sure that would be the case with Wheeler. I think he's a spoiled rich kid a la Comrie.

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote