HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

World Cup Talk

Closed Thread

Old
06-10-2010, 04:26 PM
ecemleafs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjets36 View Post
god help the US defense containing ronaldo if they play portugal.
same ronaldo that hasnt scored for portugal in 3 years?

Old
06-10-2010, 04:27 PM
Callahan Auto
Rational Police

I always support the United States in sports and I plan on watching as much of the World Cup as I can. If we get knocked out, it'll be England for me, maybe France (I'm a quarter French but 50% Irish so I'm kind of conflicted on that one, lol).

Old
06-10-2010, 04:28 PM
AJRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
For some reason I have such a strong feeling that the US is going to beat England Saturday,
Wouldn't be surprised if that happened at all, we've been abysmal in our warm-up matches, scraping past Mexico and Japan undeservedly.

It'll be England and the US out of that group either way.

Old
06-10-2010, 04:30 PM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by LamoTheKid View Post
At least they don't dive all over the field and whine like little babies. I'm looking at you Italy.
exactly. i love that about us soccer. at least they arent diving all over the field like spain, portugal, brazil, argentina, etc... that's why ronaldo got his nuts stomped on last world cup by wayne rooney. he dove, rooney got a foul, and ronaldo got what he deserved.

Old
06-10-2010, 04:30 PM
LamoTheKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJRanger View Post
Wouldn't be surprised if that happened at all, we've been abysmal in our warm-up matches, scraping past Mexico and Japan undeservedly.

It'll be England and the US out of that group either way.
That Japan game was nuts. My dad calle me and said "Japan scored all the goals against England" I said "That's awesome I'm pulling for Japan as an underdog this year" he said "Yeah, but they still lost".

I laughed pretty hard at that one.

Old
06-10-2010, 04:31 PM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
same ronaldo that hasnt scored for portugal in 3 years?
has the us played portugal in those 3 years?

Old
06-10-2010, 04:34 PM
LamoTheKid

Quote:
exactly. i love that about us soccer. at least they arent diving all over the field like spain, portugal, brazil, argentina, etc... that's why ronaldo got his nuts stomped on last world cup by wayne rooney. he dove, rooney got a foul, and ronaldo got what he deserved.
I always get funny looks when I say that I cant stand how S. Americans and the Italians play (Portugal and Spain pull the same thing, but to a slightly lesser extent).

I know Argentina and Brazil play the "beautiful game" but it's just painful to watch. I'll be paying very close attention to the Refs nationality in this World Cup. If I see Brazilian, Italian or Argentinian listed, I'll know that game is going to be pretty hard to watch.

I grew up watching English, Scottish (GO 'GERS!), and German leagues so I prefer the power high energy style they play.

Old
06-10-2010, 04:37 PM
ecemleafs

Quote:
has the us played portugal in those 3 years?
lol ridiculous statement. portugal has played some ****ing minnows in 3 years and he hasnt terrorized defenses.

Old
06-10-2010, 04:38 PM
AJRanger

Quote:
That Japan game was nuts. My dad calle me and said "Japan scored all the goals against England" I said "That's awesome I'm pulling for Japan as an underdog this year" he said "Yeah, but they still lost".

I laughed pretty hard at that one.
Haha. Yeah, was pretty odd. I'd rather we'd just lost and at least learnt something from it, instead Capello will still get the formation wrong come Saturday.

I should add too that I'm pulling for the US to get out of the group with us, always feel people tend to underrate you guys for some reason. It's no fluke that there's a lot of top American guys doing well in our league.

Old
06-10-2010, 04:41 PM
LamoTheKid

Quote:
Haha. Yeah, was pretty odd. I'd rather we'd just lost and at least learnt something from it, instead Capello will still get the formation wrong come Saturday.

I should add too that I'm pulling for the US to get out of the group with us, always feel people tend to underrate you guys for some reason. It's no fluke that there's a lot of top American guys doing well in our league.
After our last showing, I don't think we deserve any respect. We have to earn it this time around. Hopefully with guys playing over in Europe, they'll at least help us deal with England in the group round.

Here's to some good fitbah between cousin nations!

Old
06-10-2010, 04:43 PM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
I always get funny looks when I say that I cant stand how S. Americans and the Italians play (Portugal and Spain pull the same thing, but to a slightly lesser extent).

I know Argentina and Brazil play the "beautiful game" but it's just painful to watch. I'll be paying very close attention to the Refs nationality in this World Cup. If I see Brazilian, Italian or Argentinian listed, I'll know that game is going to be pretty hard to watch.

I grew up watching English, Scottish (GO 'GERS!), and German leagues so I prefer the power high energy style they play.
i find that the us team and the english team play incorrectly against the south american and other european teams which is why they usually find limited success in big events like these.

i played soccer when i was growing up, from when i was 3 to mid-way through high school. we are taught to get the ball up the wing and cross it when we are parallel to the 6 yard box in hopes of heading hte ball in. while it may give some scares to the opposing defense it doesn't work out often at all. S. American and other European teams besides England work on passing the ball quickly and efficiently through the center of the pitch so that the opposing defense collapses. they not only get the defense to collapse but they also end up with better shooting angles and more scoring chances than a simple cross into the box.

i'm a big fan of manchester united, and while they still cross quite frequently they are also one of the few team's in the premiership which sports a slightly more south american style of play... which is why they are usually one of hte most successful team's in the premiership, along with the fact that they might have the highest or 2nd highest payroll in the premiership as well lol.

Old
06-10-2010, 04:45 PM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
lol ridiculous statement. portugal has played some ****ing minnows in 3 years and he hasnt terrorized defenses.
true, ronaldo's been a big choke in major international events. i still believe that he'll blow past the US defense either way if portugal faces the US during this tourney.

Old
06-10-2010, 04:47 PM
ecemleafs

Quote:
i find that the us team and the english team play incorrectly against the south american and other european teams which is why they usually find limited success in big events like these.

i played soccer when i was growing up, from when i was 3 to mid-way through high school. we are taught to get the ball up the wing and cross it when we are parallel to the 6 yard box in hopes of heading hte ball in. while it may give some scares to the opposing defense it doesn't work out often at all. S. American and other European teams besides England work on passing the ball quickly and efficiently through the center of the pitch so that the opposing defense collapses. they not only get the defense to collapse but they also end up with better shooting angles and more scoring chances than a simple cross into the box.

i'm a big fan of manchester united, and while they still cross quite frequently they are also one of the few team's in the premiership which sports a slightly more south american style of play... which is why they are usually one of hte most successful team's in the premiership, along with the fact that they might have the highest or 2nd highest payroll in the premiership as well lol.
the reason the USA struggles against top south american teams is because we arent near as good as they are. manchester united dont succeed in the premier league because they play south american style....they do well because they have some of the best players in the EPL, stability with SAF, and have long established a winning mentality at the club.

Old
06-10-2010, 04:50 PM
ecemleafs

Quote:
true, ronaldo's been a big choke in major international events. i still believe that he'll blow past the US defense either way if portugal faces the US during this tourney.
they cant meet until the semis or final/3rd place game.

Old
06-10-2010, 04:52 PM
AJRanger

Quote:
manchester united dont succeed in the premier league because they play south american style....they do well because they have some of the best players in the EPL, stability with SAF, and have long established a winning mentality at the club.
Spot-on. The future's very bleak for United as it stands though.

'South American' style doesn't necessarily get you anywhere; Arsenal play a glorious quick-flowing game but haven't won a pot in 5 years.

Old
06-10-2010, 04:55 PM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
the reason the USA struggles against top south american teams is because we arent near as good as they are. manchester united dont succeed in the premier league because they play south american style....they do well because they have some of the best players in the EPL, stability with SAF, and have long established a winning mentality at the club.
lol. the us isn't as good as south american team's because they are taught incorrectly from every level of competitive soccer up. south american countries don't have nearly as much equipment or resources to compete with the US.... yet however they are clearly the better soccer nation. how? they are taught how to play a particular style of soccer. one that sports team unity. look at the us midfielders and strikers. they go on joy rides with the ball until they lose it. they'd rather lose the ball than pass it. also soccer is not as popular in the us as it is anywhere else in the world. therefore less kids will grow up giving it there all playing soccer to develop their skills. whereas everywhere else in the world soccer is the dominant sport and thus players develop their skills for that sport more so than any other sport. which is why brazilians are so much more talented at soccer than players for the us are.

manchester city has one of the highest payrolls in the entire EPL. they still haven't found a consistent winning formula. that is because they play incorrectly. good players mean nothing when you don't find an effective way to beat opposing teams. manchester united on the other hand has a similar payroll to manchester city. they play a style slightly different than most other english clubs and thus are better with their game plans. however, that being said, without their world class players they wouldn't be anything more than a top 10 team. i guess it's the combination of the 2.

Old
06-10-2010, 04:57 PM
ecemleafs

Quote:
Spot-on. The future's very bleak for United as it stands though.

'South American' style doesn't necessarily get you anywhere; Arsenal play a glorious quick-flowing game but haven't won a pot in 5 years.
and if anything, their style in recent years was "portuguese" because of queiroz and ronaldo.

Old
06-10-2010, 05:02 PM
ecemleafs

Quote:
lol. the us isn't as good as south american team's because they are taught incorrectly from every level of competitive soccer up. south american countries don't have nearly as much equipment or resources to compete with the US.... yet however they are clearly the better soccer nation. how? they are taught how to play a particular style of soccer. one that sports team unity. look at the us midfielders and strikers. they go on joy rides with the ball until they lose it. they'd rather lose the ball than pass it. also soccer is not as popular in the us as it is anywhere else in the world. therefore less kids will grow up giving it there all playing soccer to develop their skills. whereas everywhere else in the world soccer is the dominant sport and thus players develop their skills for that sport more so than any other sport. which is why brazilians are so much more talented at soccer than players for the us are.

manchester city has one of the highest payrolls in the entire EPL. they still haven't found a consistent winning formula. that is because they play incorrectly. good players mean nothing when you don't find an effective way to beat opposing teams. manchester united on the other hand has a similar payroll to manchester city. they play a style slightly different than most other english clubs and thus are better with their game plans. however, that being said, without their world class players they wouldn't be anything more than a top 10 team. i guess it's the combination of the 2.
American youth teams have actually beaten many of the best youth teams in the world. The United States doesnt have a good set up to progress on that though. No club youth systems to the professional ranks and although popular on a basic youth level, soccer isnt "big" for kids as they get older. Citeh arent as good as United because they just signed a **** load of random players and have gone through 3 managers in the past 2 years.

Old
06-10-2010, 05:09 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

GROUP A
SOUTH AFRICA83
MEXICO17
URUGUAY16
FRANCE9

[ URUGUAYa1 Vs NIGERIAb2]

GROUP B
ARGENTINA7
NIGERIA21
SOUTH KOREA47
GREECE13

[ARGENTINAb1 Vs FRANCEa2]

GROUP C
ENGLAND8
USA14
ALGERIA30
SlOVENIA25

[ENGLANDc1 Vs SERBIAd2]

GROUP D
GERMANY6
AUSTRALIA20
SERBIA15
GHANA32

[GERMANYd1 Vs USAa2]

QUARTERFINALS
[URUGUAYa1 VS ENGLANDc1]
[ARGENTINAb1 VS GERMANYd1]

GROUP E
NETHERLANDS4
DENMARK36
JAPAN45
CAMEROON19

[NETHERLANDSe1 Vs ITALYf2]

GROUP F
ITALY5
PARAGUAY31
NEW ZEALAND78
SLOVAKIA34

[ PARAGUAYf1 Vs CAMEROONe2]

GROUP G
BRAZIL1
NORTH KOREA105
IVORY COAST27
PORTUGAL3

[BRAZILg1 Vs CHILEh2]

GROUP H
SPAIN2
SWITZERLAND24
HONDURAS38
CHILE18

[SPAINh1 vs PORTUGALg2]

QUARTERFINALS
[ITALYf2 VS BRAZILg1]
[PARAGUAYf1 VS SPAINh1]

SEMIFINALS
[ENGLANDc1 VS BRAZILg1]
[ARGENTINAb1 VS PARAGUAYf1]

FINALS
[ENGLANDc1 VS PARAGUAYf1]

I'll be pulling for USA and GREECE, but I think Paraguay pulls off a massive upset and steals it.

Old
06-10-2010, 05:23 PM
AJRanger

I haven't figured out their potential path yet, but I think Spain will win it all. Won the European Championships at a canter and have only got better since - Torres, Villa, Silva, Fabregas, Iniesta, Xavi... I'd like to see someone lock that attack up. Holland as dark horses.

Old
06-10-2010, 05:30 PM
mullichicken25

i always wondered what could make the casual fan more interested in hockey

i mean, i understand why the sport is so awesome, its clear as day! why doesn't everybod else get it?

i used to always think if it got more attention on ESPN and stuff if would help....but now i dont think thats the case because i recently thought to myself..."Soccer is incrediblly popular around the world...has the most intense and diehard fanbase of anything....what would make me start following soccer, even just watch a casual game here or there?"

after i thought about it for a while i came to the conclusion that absuletely nothing in the world could ever make me watch the sport, even just casually

that was the momment in which i gave up on the dream that the NHL would ever appraoch the popularity of baseball or football

i might watch a few minutes of the world cup, or at least not change the channel when they talk about it on sports center, but i'll never give a crap about it or sit through a full game

and i guess thats how the rest of the country feels about hockey....

Old
06-10-2010, 05:41 PM
Vidic15

Srbija, Spain, England, Argentina. My money's on Spain, though.

Old
06-10-2010, 05:47 PM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
I haven't figured out their potential path yet, but I think Spain will win it all. Won the European Championships at a canter and have only got better since - Torres, Villa, Silva, Fabregas, Iniesta, Xavi... I'd like to see someone lock that attack up. Holland as dark horses.
AJ, has Capello announced who will be in net for England on Saturday yet?

Old
06-10-2010, 05:47 PM
DontStepanMe

Lets Go USA and Germany

Old
06-10-2010, 05:50 PM
z1co80
The Incredible Hank

Stuck my money on Brazil today

I think its the first Brazil squad that i have seen thats stronger at the back than up front.

Closed Thread