HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Hiishawk's 40 1st round candidates (for what it's worth)

Old
06-08-2010, 10:22 PM
Hiishawk

vCash: 500
Hi Brock. I haven't focused on Polasek enough to give a fair comment here. I saw him at least once this year but wasn't really watching him...

I haven't heard his name mentioned but that certainly shouldn't be taken to mean that no one is. You probably know more than I do on this player.

Hiishawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 10:43 PM
Hiishawk

Two more players I would consider to be darkhorses- Yasin Cisse (USHL- Des Moines) and Patrick Nemeth (Sweden). Both could sneak into the 2nd round, as some clubs are very interested in these players but you don't hear much about them on HF.

Old
06-09-2010, 01:20 AM
Czechexpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiishawk View Post
Two more players I would consider to be darkhorses- Yasin Cisse (USHL- Des Moines) and Patrick Nemeth (Sweden). Both could sneak into the 2nd round, as some clubs are very interested in these players but you don't hear much about them on HF.
I would not be surprised at all seeing Nemeth in 2nd round.

Czechexpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 01:27 AM
Czechexpert

Quote:
More comments-

Kuenhackl- Saw him only twice (at 4 nations). He seemed to be a very mature player, well-coached, well-rounded. He reminded me of Austin Watson. Actually, I was hoping for, or expecting, a little more flash.

3rd round dark horses? I mentioned Bournival earlier. Q DF Gauthier-Leduc might be a good bet here too. Q players seem to mature later than O and W players (true of Finns it seems too) so a lot of Q players could be considered darkhorses. This makes the Q hard to scout (this is also a partial response to an earlier question). I'm betting that one of the goalies who is scheduled to go in this range will become a star but who? Maybe the Finn, Autik???? Also from Europe? Marcel Noebbels from Germany and Sorten Olden from Norway (playing in Sweden).
I have seen Noebels on several occasion and consider him personally as interesting sleeper.
I expected much more from Kühnhackl, I don´t think that he is top 6 forward. I would not select him in first two rounds. Still he has some potential, excellent size, solid skater, some scoring touch.

Czechexpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 08:39 AM
Jeff_Dyck_#1
Est. MMII

Quote:

Nemeth was a huge disappointment, this season.

Jeff_Dyck_#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 12:17 PM
felixd

Just want to say thanks for your insight. Very much appreciated.

If you don't mind taking one more question...what's the word regarding Brad Ross?

felixd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 11:40 PM
Hiishawk

Felixd- At the Combines I'll bet each team was asking Brad, "What's the word regarding Brad Ross?". I'll bet they asked teammates and coaches too. How much is his on-ice demeanor a reflection of his off-ice personality? The scouts are going to have to sort that one out.

Old
06-10-2010, 09:06 AM
Evgeny Oliker

vCash: 1140

Hiishawk, thanks for the great responses!

A few more questions if you dont mind:
1. Andrew Yogan - very little info. on this guy out there. What kind of skill set does he have? Does he have top 6 potential? Any major weaknesses?
where do you see him going? 2nd round? 3rd round?
2. Connor Brickley - same thing, what can you tell me about him? have you seen him play? top 6 or not really?
where do you see him going on the draft?
3. Joonas Donskoi - not much talk at all about him. have you seen him play? what kind of skill set? top 6 or not really?
where does he go in draft?
4. Jakub Culek - will he ever put it all together? top 6 or not really?
5. Kevin Sundher - still a lot of potential in him? top 6? what kind of skill set?
6. Greg McKegg - not sure if you spoke about him already? if so, I apologize. Just want to know more about him...top 6 or not, skill set, etc?
2nd rounder?

Thanks!

Evgeny Oliker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 07:04 PM
Hiishawk

2forsbergaura1-
Of the players you mentioned I'd say only Yogan and Sundher are top 6 types. This doesn't mean that they are better than the other players you mentioned or will go highwer in the draft, it's that they have a bit more top 6-type raw skill although they have both been noted for inconsistency and lacking a well-rounded game (Yogan by effort, Sundher by sense). The others are safer bets for 3rd/4th line duty. All of these players would seem to fall into the 3rd/4th round area.

Edit- I suppose McKegg has the offensive prowess to be a top 6 player as he manges to get points without seemingly doing much but I have trouble believing he can do that at the next level. I have, though, been proven wrong before when a player has that scoring sense despite their skating being mediocre, as McKegg's is.

Last edited by Hiishawk: 06-11-2010 at 02:56 AM.
Old
06-10-2010, 08:24 PM
Dooman

You had Kabanov in your top 40, but with everything which has went on (Especially with JP Barry dropping him as a client just before draft), what have you heard about his stock? I'd be surprised if he went in the first now, but what have you heard about him? Will he drop to a 2nd? 3rd? 4th? And what point do you feel that the rewards outweighs the risk?

Dooman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 09:55 PM
Hiishawk

Some teams are writing off Kabanov as 'not worth the trouble' (I've seen several big talents completely left off NHL team's draft charts on this basis) but we all know his talent. If you've got two picks or more in the top 40, then yes, I'd definitely go for him (Boston, in particular, could afford to). At least it seems that he's burned his Russian bridges and will stay in North America.

Old
06-11-2010, 02:17 PM
Tormentor

Quote:
Of the players you mentioned I'd say only Yogan and Sundher are top 6 types. This doesn't mean that they are better than the other players you mentioned or will go highwer in the draft, it's that they have a bit more top 6-type raw skill although they have both been noted for inconsistency and lacking a well-rounded game (Yogan by effort, Sundher by sense). The others are safer bets for 3rd/4th line duty. All of these players would seem to fall into the 3rd/4th round area.
I’d like to think that Donskoi has some potential to develop into a top-6 forward, because puck skills are the thing that separates him from many other prospects. On the other hand Donskoi is far from a safe bet for 3rd/4th line duty. He doesn’t have the best possible mentality for a checking role, his skating isn’t that explosive on a straight line, he isn’t exceptionally strong physically, doesn’t hit much and has quite a lot to learn defensively.

Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 06:26 PM
Hiishawk

Tormentor- Being Finnish you probably know Donskoi better than me but when I saw him he seemed to be a support player. He doesn't create plays out of nothing or have dazzling moves but supports his linemates well with smart plays, making space, effort and hustle (he looked good on the forecheck). I didn't see top 6 talent but a player who could fit in with anybody.

But that's only me.

Old
06-12-2010, 06:33 AM
Tormentor

Quote:
Tormentor- Being Finnish you probably know Donskoi better than me but when I saw him he seemed to be a support player. He doesn't create plays out of nothing or have dazzling moves but supports his linemates well with smart plays, making space, effort and hustle (he looked good on the forecheck). I didn't see top 6 talent but a player who could fit in with anybody.

But that's only me.
I get an impression that your observations are from the WU18C’s, since for the most part Donskoi was a supporting player for Granlund and Pulkkinen there. He moved a lot on the neutral zone, made himself available, had a lot of energy and kept things simple. Pretty much the only time that you saw him handling the puck for more than a few seconds at a time was when he was brining the puck through the neutral zone. On the powerplay he spent a lot of time in front of the net screening the goalie, making deflections and going to rebounds, while Granlund and Pulkkinen made plays and shot the puck on the perimeter. Donskoi’s game looks different when he has a more leading and free-er role.

I guess that you can say that Donskoi doesn’t make that many plays out of nothing, but in the end those kinds of players are rare even in the NHL. As far as Donskoi not having dazzling moves, I have to disagree with you. Even in SM-liiga while playing against pros, he made some moves that made defensemen look really silly. In juniors where he had a fairly free role in the offensive zone, you could see him sometimes overhandling the puck, trying new moves and keeping the puck for long periods of time. He definitely has skill, it just needs some refining in order to translate to a higher level.

Donskoi works hard and often looks fairly tired at the end of the shift. His skating style consumes quite a lot of energy as he tries to keep his feet moving for the most time. Donskoi’s forechecking looks pretty good in juniors, but it was a different story in SM-liiga. It’s not that he didn’t have the required effort, but overall it was just fairly ineffective. He sometimes forced the defenseman to make a quick decision, but it rarely caused much pressure or forced a turnover. Donskoi isn’t a physical player, doesn’t play physical style, and rarely hits. Donskoi’s style of skating is a bit unorthodox, and not optimal for puck pursuit and forechecking, as he doesn’t generate optimal amount of speed on a straight line.

In SM-liiga Donskoi played mostly with grinders and it didn’t suit him too well, you get a lot better result out of him by lining him up with other skilled players. He’s rarely used in short handed play, which is another indicator of his overall game. The reason why he got to play some games in SM-liiga was because he was able to create offence, not because his overall game was at the required level. I see Donskoi having potential to develop into a top6 forward with his ability to bring the puck to the zone, challenge defenseman and finish plays. If all goes well, a second line winger who scores 40-50 points a season is my thinking. On the other hand I don’t see him developing into a prototypical Finnish grinder, he’s just so much different than most Finnish players.

Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 05:56 PM
Hiishawk

Tormentor- Good analysis, thanks. It sounds authoritative. It's always a pleasure to read a description from someone who knows a player very well.

Old
06-13-2010, 11:07 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Not sure I agree with the assesment of Pulkkinen as "inconsistent" as he's been a pretty consistent scorer on junior levels, leagues and international tournaments. The 12 SM-lliga games I don't count into the equation yet, since hardly anyone was scoring for Jokerit during that period, Pulkkinen played mostly with offensively challenged players (Tomi Mäki and Juha Lind) and the whole team was a mess (more or less for the rest of the season too).

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 12:07 PM
doublechili

vCash: 600
Quote:
23. Jaden Schwartz: Reminds me of Mikael Granlund but on a smaller stage. Great hands, top notch vision. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him being a better player than many listed above him here in 5-10 years’ time.
Quote:
Weal vs. Schwartz- First, Schwartz' stats are quite excellent for a rookie in the low-scoring USHL (best since Vanek)- and without Jordan Eberle at his side. He's already a tad bigger than Weal and projects to be grow more (this is secondhand info. Anyone who knnows the family might want to confirm). The key factor may be that Schwartz is a bit more of a cerebral player than Weal (although Weal is no slouch in the hockey IQ department), which is more likely to compensate for size issues at the NHL level.
Hiishawk, thanks for all the great info in this thread.

I'm very intrigued by Jaden Schwartz and have a couple of questions. If you were a GM and really wanted him, what pick would you try to get so that you'd feel pretty sure you'd get him? Could we be surprised and see him go much higher than expected? Feel free to add any other insights you might have about him.

He seems to have that high hockey sense/determination/skill combo that I'd value most if I were a GM, and I'm not sure why he's generally not ranked higher. I realize the size and acceleration questions are there, but I'd take my chances on smart, passionate, talented kids every day of the week....

doublechili is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 08:19 PM
Hiishawk

Chili-
I'd consider trying to get Schwartz at about 17 or 18 to make sure I got him.

Jussi-
I didn't see Pulkinnen in regular season play but the word of inconsistency over the season came from a Finnish scout buddy. Perhaps that inconsistency was related to his injuries and subsequent recoveries.

Old
06-26-2010, 07:40 PM
Lowetide

Killer thread, thanks so much for the insight and the accuracy. All the best, hope to see your 2011 list next spring.

Lowetide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 08:23 PM
madman
Deadmarsh Deli Dills

Awesome.

madman is offline   Reply With Quote