HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

World Cup Talk

Closed Thread

Old
06-10-2010, 04:54 PM
AJRanger

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
AJ, has Capello announced who will be in net for England on Saturday yet?
Not yet, no. Rumoured to be Rob Green from what I heard on talksport (our main national sports radio station) this morning, though personally I'd like to see him throw Joe Hart in at the deep end as he's clearly the best goalie we've got.

Old
06-10-2010, 05:05 PM
nyrmetros

Massive mega viewing party for all USA games

http://www.njbrigade.com/world_cup_watch_parties.html

Old
06-10-2010, 05:16 PM
Swagelin
aka Bienvenue a ny

USA doesn't even have a chance to win. I don't even see them making the 2nd round. Spain/portugals probably going to win imo.

Old
06-10-2010, 06:00 PM
ecemleafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAB0RIK View Post
USA doesn't even have a chance to win. I don't even see them making the 2nd round. Spain/portugals probably going to win imo.
u dont see us possibly coming in the top 2 of our group with the powerhouses of algeria and slovenia in it?

Old
06-10-2010, 06:11 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Since my country Armenia hasn't even sniffed the chance to play in the world cup ever since i've been watching; I'm rooting for U.S.A/ Argentina/ France. I'm a huge Messi fan. I think when it's all said and done he may in fact come down to be the best futbol player in the history of the sport.

Italy has a fairly weak club this go around. As does France.

It begins tomorrow. Mexico and S AFRICA. Should be a good one.

Old
06-10-2010, 06:29 PM
Synergy27

I don't care who wins, I'm just pumped to watch some awesome soccer. 2:30PM Saturday can't get here soon enough.

Old
06-10-2010, 06:33 PM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAB0RIK View Post
don't give up hope yet. howard is an amazing goalie. think of how many games henrik has stolen for us over his career and think of howard as a slightly worse version of henrik but for soccer.

i think we'll make it at least to the quarters. if we meet portugal i think we'll be in for a tough match up, probably a 3-1 or 4-1 loss or maybe a 3-2 upset if their defense fails them and howard plays godly. you never know. US made it to the finals i believe in the world cup, if not the semi's but im pretty sure the finals against spain. that's pretty good if you ask me. i'm hoping for a repeat.

Old
06-10-2010, 07:06 PM
riverside11

Send a message via AIM to riverside11
US made it to the finals i believe in the world cup, if not the semi's but im pretty sure the finals against spain. that's pretty good if you ask me. i'm hoping for a repeat.[/QUOTE]

I think you mean last summer's Confederation's Cup?? Beat Spain in the Semi's and Lost to Brazil 3-2 in the final. They have one third place finish in the world cup(1930) and that was their best result.

Old
06-10-2010, 07:22 PM
BrandNewDream

Heading to Zeppelin Hall in Jersey City for Saturday's game. Should be awesome.

Old
06-10-2010, 07:30 PM
z1co80
The Incredible Hank

I think there will be a lot o people wearing these t-shirts here in Scotland

Old
06-10-2010, 07:41 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangersfan30 View Post
Pure gold.

Old
06-10-2010, 08:42 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
Russia and Egypt have to go through the European and African qualifying groupings. North Korea is in the Asian qualifying group. Much tougher road to qualify in the Euro/African groups compared to the Asian group. Look at a team like New Zealand. They are in the Oceania group. They had to get through such powerhouses as Fiji, New Caledonia, and Vanuatu to qualify. If they had to go through the European qualifying group they wouldn't stand a chance. The USA would most likely have a tough time qualifying through the European group. Fortunately we are in CONCACAF which makes qualifying much easier every world cup.
Yeah, but isn't Russia mostly in Asia?

Old
06-10-2010, 08:50 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
Yeah, but isn't Russia mostly in Asia?
The vast majority of the population of Russia (along with its Capital) are in Europe.

Old
06-10-2010, 09:41 PM
NYRSchrute217

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
I usually root for the USA, Italy, and any crazy underdog as it's always fun to see a team like Ghana or Paraguay upset a powerhouse like Germany or France. Does anyone know why teams like Egypt or Russia aren't in the World Cup but freaking North Korea is? They are the only team I want to see get pummeled, those poor malnourished hobbits. There will be no censoring that embarrassment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
For some reason I have such a strong feeling that the US is going to beat England Saturday, and make a lot of noise in this tournament, kind of like they did in the Hockey at the Olympics this year...

I don't know, I'm just feeling it.

Lucky for me, I'm working 10-6 on Saturday, if anyone ruins the game for me I'm going to lose it.
The US won 2-1.

Germany/USA should be a solid matchup if they do meet.

Old
06-10-2010, 11:08 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

The U.S. game against England is huge. Assuming all other games go according to seed (U.S. wins other group games, so do England) It would mean the likely difference between playing Germany in the first round, or playing Australia.

This is of course considering everything goes according to plan, which it rarely does. I think the U.S. could make some noise this year, or at least get into the elimination round unless they choke.

Old
06-11-2010, 03:25 AM
AJRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangersfan30 View Post

But they'd look so much better in this;

Old
06-11-2010, 06:21 AM
IceBear86
Broadway Pride

Deutschlaaaaand, Deutschlaaaand, Deutschlaaaaand, Deutschlaaand

Pumped up as hell......it's gonna be interesting to see how we play w/out Ballack. Could be a complete mess w/out any leadership, could be a huge success with the young guys and Lahm, Schweinsteiger showing up. Goaltender may become a problem, very young, unexperienced guy.

This whole thing is a big big chance for Africa. I like the WC to be down there, actually. Something new. I saw the Kick-Off celebration yesterday, very lovely and passionate people. We're in for some great weeks I think. Let's get this party started!

Old
06-11-2010, 08:19 AM
King of cool
The winning hat

The good news about this World cup is that Team France will get rid of Raymon Domenech after the competition... About time.

Old
06-11-2010, 10:44 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceBear86 View Post
Deutschlaaaaand, Deutschlaaaand, Deutschlaaaaand, Deutschlaaand

Pumped up as hell......it's gonna be interesting to see how we play w/out Ballack. Could be a complete mess w/out any leadership, could be a huge success with the young guys and Lahm, Schweinsteiger showing up. Goaltender may become a problem, very young, unexperienced guy.

This whole thing is a big big chance for Africa. I like the WC to be down there, actually. Something new. I saw the Kick-Off celebration yesterday, very lovely and passionate people. We're in for some great weeks I think. Let's get this party started!
yeah but guys like Schweinsteiger, Klose etc do have valuable experience because of the Euro Cup two years ago. Which the finals were a mess though.

Old
06-11-2010, 10:47 AM
NYR Viper

I was really hoping South Africa would beat Mexico......Still possible but it may take a while.

Old
06-11-2010, 10:59 AM
Vidic15*

Dreadful first game. Too many over-hit passes. I wonder if the new ball has anything to do with it. Time for the Europeans to show everyone how to play football.

Old
06-11-2010, 10:59 AM
Rust Heisenberg

at least we now know 2 teams that won't make it to the world cup final...

Old
06-11-2010, 11:24 AM
ecemleafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidic15 View Post
Dreadful first game. Too many over-hit passes. I wonder if the new ball has anything to do with it. Time for the Europeans to show everyone how to play football.
altitude of around 5,000 feet and a new ball will result in over hit passes. might see this until the 2nd or 3rd game for each team.

Old
06-11-2010, 11:29 AM
AJRanger

The ball was bouncing all over the shop too, skidding on and generally looking pretty deceptive. Still, dire game but pretty happy for SA to have something to shout about.

I just hope Uruguay can do over the French tonight, preferably with a late handball'd winner for laughs.

Old
06-11-2010, 11:30 AM
Loffen
Hadouken!

Soccer used to be a blast to watch. Now'a days it's filled with diving and lame flops every minute... Pretty sad.

Closed Thread