HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Notices

Wild's Fletcher has his work cut out for him

Old
06-10-2010, 01:07 PM
BigT2002

vCash: 50
Put bouchard on the wing on the 3rd line and you might be okay. We need a #2 center more than we need a Top 6 sniper I'm sorry. Koivu and Bruno can carry that line and Mittens can still shell in 20 goals a season out of it (pathetic I know). Put the right center between Mary and Lats and we may have a deadlier 2nd line than what our first line could ever come up with.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 01:17 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

vCash: 500
Rather than just toss out negatives...

I think the lines will have to be mixed up a lot more than that, if our roster will be about the same as it is now.

Barring any trades, if i were the coach, I would run the following:

LW - C - RW
1st line: Brunette - Koivu - Latendresse
2nd line: Miettinen - Bouchard - Havlat (have Miettinen take face-offs if Bouchard sucks, Mittens ain't half bad at them)
3rd line: Kobasew - Brodziak - Clutterbuck
4th line: Sheppard - Konopka - Wellman

For our fourth line, I still say sign Konopka in place of Boogaard.

Yes, I am advocating the splitting up of Latendresse and Havlat. Latendresse is a left shooting winger which played right wing most of the time in Montreal. When the trade was announced, I looked at him as a RW-er and didn't know where he would fit. There were also countless times when he was coming down the LW and the pass hand cuffed him because of where his stick was (on his left side and the pass came from his right). He would have to cut in front of the net hard or try the wrap around most of the time. If he were on the right, it would make for a better fit.

Putting Miettinen on the left side (which he can easily do and Butch can't play LW) of Bouchard - Havlat gives the second line at least SOME defense from a forward. He's also a right shot, so Bouchard or Havlat's pretty passes can hit his stick quicker. That way, Miettinen can miss the net more, but some will inevitably go in. Bouchard and Havlat can play "pass me pretty" all they want until someone shoots it.

Konopka doesn't have half-bad speed and our fourth line would consist of the speedy Wellman, somewhat fast Konopka and Sheppard to get behind the net and play-act Brunette.

The third line. Nuff said. It's a good third line.

For defense, I would run Burns and Barker more with the 2nd line (and 4th) than the first. Zanon and Zidlicky with the first. Schultz and Stoner/Prosser/Falk with the third.

The key for me in running Burns and Barker with the 2nd line is that both Havlat and Bouchard will have a tendency to pass the puck to the point. If Barker gets his confidence back, and Burns is his "old" self, neither one of them will shy away from shooting the puck. Miettinen can work his cycle of swinging from the circle, to the back of the net, back to the circle and then charging the net for rebounds (he does that a lot).

Just my thoughts. I am not the coach.

bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 01:58 PM
nickschultzfan

Miettinen should be on his way out.

Kovalchuk and Bouchard
Kovalchuk-Bouchard-Clutterbuck
Bruno-Koivu-Kobasew
Lats-Brodziak-Havlat

Kovalchuk and Plekanec, but no Bouchard
Kovalchuk-Plekanec-Clutterbuck
Bruno-Koivu-Kobasew
Lats-Brodziak-Havlat

Plekanec, Jokinen, and Bouchard
Lats-Plekanec-Havlat
Bruno-Koivu-Kobasew
Clutterbuck-Jokinen-Bouchard

Fletcher should have an idea whether Bouchard is playing three weeks from now. Fletcher should go after the first option, hope for the second, and fall back to the third if Kovalchuk is headed elsewhere.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 03:06 PM
saywut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozak911 View Post
Rather than just toss out negatives...

I think the lines will have to be mixed up a lot more than that, if our roster will be about the same as it is now.

Barring any trades, if i were the coach, I would run the following:

LW - C - RW
1st line: Brunette - Koivu - Latendresse
2nd line: Miettinen - Bouchard - Havlat (have Miettinen take face-offs if Bouchard sucks, Mittens ain't half bad at them)
3rd line: Kobasew - Brodziak - Clutterbuck
4th line: Sheppard - Konopka - Wellman

For our fourth line, I still say sign Konopka in place of Boogaard.

Yes, I am advocating the splitting up of Latendresse and Havlat. Latendresse is a left shooting winger which played right wing most of the time in Montreal. When the trade was announced, I looked at him as a RW-er and didn't know where he would fit. There were also countless times when he was coming down the LW and the pass hand cuffed him because of where his stick was (on his left side and the pass came from his right). He would have to cut in front of the net hard or try the wrap around most of the time. If he were on the right, it would make for a better fit.

Putting Miettinen on the left side (which he can easily do and Butch can't play LW) of Bouchard - Havlat gives the second line at least SOME defense from a forward. He's also a right shot, so Bouchard or Havlat's pretty passes can hit his stick quicker. That way, Miettinen can miss the net more, but some will inevitably go in. Bouchard and Havlat can play "pass me pretty" all they want until someone shoots it.

Konopka doesn't have half-bad speed and our fourth line would consist of the speedy Wellman, somewhat fast Konopka and Sheppard to get behind the net and play-act Brunette.

The third line. Nuff said. It's a good third line.

For defense, I would run Burns and Barker more with the 2nd line (and 4th) than the first. Zanon and Zidlicky with the first. Schultz and Stoner/Prosser/Falk with the third.

The key for me in running Burns and Barker with the 2nd line is that both Havlat and Bouchard will have a tendency to pass the puck to the point. If Barker gets his confidence back, and Burns is his "old" self, neither one of them will shy away from shooting the puck. Miettinen can work his cycle of swinging from the circle, to the back of the net, back to the circle and then charging the net for rebounds (he does that a lot).

Just my thoughts. I am not the coach.
Well, the names are realistic, but who fore-checks or shoots for our 2nd line, Burns? I'd say Kobasew would be a better fit with those 2, hes a better skater and shooter than Miettinen. Also would rather have Wellman in Houston than playing with Konopka and Sheppard.

saywut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 03:29 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Quote:
Originally Posted by saywut View Post
Well, the names are realistic, but who fore-checks or shoots for our 2nd line, Burns? I'd say Kobasew would be a better fit with those 2, hes a better skater and shooter than Miettinen. Also would rather have Wellman in Houston than playing with Konopka and Sheppard.
I'm still not entirely sold on Kobasew being as "defensive" as Miettinen. I agree with all of your points considering that Kobasew and Miettinen are basically interchangeable.

Who forechecked when Ebbett was centering Lats/Hav? I thought it horribly sad when it was little tiny Ebbett all by himself trying to pressure the puck.

Old
06-10-2010, 04:05 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I actually think Kobasew and Bouchard would be a good fit together. Kobasew scores all his goals by going to the net and burying rebounds. Bouchard loves to hold on to the puck until everyone's in position, then put it towards the net or pass it off for a one-timer. Find a third guy who can take that one-timer shot and that would be a pretty decent third line.

Keep in mind Richards doesn't use a traditional checking third line, so having three lines that can score, even if you use that term loosely, is realistic.

Then you can have a "fourth" line of Clutterbuck, Brodziak, and whoever.

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 04:06 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Lats did a decent job forechecking, I just remember that line trying to funnel that puck along the boards down to behind the net a lot.

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 04:23 PM
HamiltonOHL
BulldogsFan00

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...rade-talk.html

Quote:
• Michael Russo of the Star-Tribune recently observed the Minnesota Wild, hampered by salary constraints and “daunting contracts,” could find it difficult to address their need for offensive depth.

Russo suggested GM Chuck Fletcher might have to turn to the trade market to address those needs by shopping one of his blueliners. Russo believes the Wild are shopping defenseman Nick Schultz, but suggests the four years remaining on his current contract (at $3.6 million per) make him a tough sell.

Russo also suggested the possibility of moving Brent Burns, but only if the return brought the Wild a top-six winger or first-line center. Russo doesn’t believe shopping backup Josh Harding on his own would be enough.

With more than $47 million committed to next season already and Harding and forwards Guillaume Latendresse and James Sheppard to re-sign, shopping either Schultz or Burns could be the only viable options for Fletcher to bolster his offense.

HamiltonOHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 04:44 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Old news for Wild fans... What Russo "believes" runs contrary to what Fletcher has "said".

Paraphrasing:
Russo: Burns is on the table.
Fletcher: Burns is core.

Old
06-10-2010, 06:17 PM
saywut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozak911 View Post
I'm still not entirely sold on Kobasew being as "defensive" as Miettinen. I agree with all of your points considering that Kobasew and Miettinen are basically interchangeable.

Who forechecked when Ebbett was centering Lats/Hav? I thought it horribly sad when it was little tiny Ebbett all by himself trying to pressure the puck.
Miettinen is better defensively than Kobasew, but Antti is one of the better defensive forwards in the entire league. Kobasew is faster, with arguably a better shot, and is more aggressive on the fore-check. IMO he's a better fit given that situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I actually think Kobasew and Bouchard would be a good fit together. Kobasew scores all his goals by going to the net and burying rebounds. Bouchard loves to hold on to the puck until everyone's in position, then put it towards the net or pass it off for a one-timer. Find a third guy who can take that one-timer shot and that would be a pretty decent third line.
Rolston
But yes, I think Kobasew is the best fit on this team for a Bouchard centered line, because of PMB's physical, shooting, and defensive deficiencies. Wellman is said to have a good one timer, so he could be a fit on that line as well, assuming he puts on some muscle and makes the team, though hard to be sold on him as a defensive forward as well, which would put alot of pressure on Kobasew.
Bouchard at wing is just as difficult to place, as he doesn't fit with Havlat or Brunette on the opposite side.

saywut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 10:14 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifer View Post
Who/what would you give up?
I'm not really a fan of making trade proposals, mostly because I don't know much about how other teams' GM's view their players (it's usually pretty easy to see how the fans would react though).

Maybe something based around Cogliano. He's sort of a man without a place in Edmonton right now with their focus on getting bigger and his being stuck on the 4th line most of last year. Tambellini's interviews seem to suggest they're going to be looking at bringing in some help at center, and they've been talking about getting bigger for 2 years now.

I don't really know. What I do know is that Schultz fits the needs of the Oilers. He's young, he's good defensively and on the pk, he's big, and he's also durable. He doesn't appear to have any offense to speak of, but that's fine with me.

misfit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 10:16 PM
State of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
I don't really know. What I do know is that Schultz fits the needs of the Oilers. He's young, he's good defensively and on the pk, he's big, and he's also durable. He doesn't appear to have any offense to speak of, but that's fine with me.
He brings a lot of offense from the defensive zone. He's an efficient puck mover from his stick to the forwards. Edmonton needs that badly.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote