HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Latendresse a l'antichambre

Old
06-03-2010, 10:01 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Age has nothing to do with it. Quoting a made up stat about preparedness of 19 year olds to be on the PP doesn't erase the fact that Guillaume DID play over 145 mins on the PP at 19 (again, 6th most on the team among forwards). You argued that he didn't have that "role" to begin with, thus couldn't have lost it. I showed you that he, in fact, did have that role and showed you how, in fact, it could be argued that he did lose it. What happened after he left the team and was used by a different coach directing different personnel is completely irrelevant.
Was Jacques Martin the coach in 06-07 or 07-08?

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 10:19 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Was Jacques Martin the coach in 06-07 or 07-08?
Does it really matter, or add significant context to the very narrow scope of what we're discussing here though (re: role on the PP)? I submit that it doesn't, given the hard ice-time and production numbers that most of us also witnessed first-hand. Obviously you can't just completely remove the coach, and his decision-making, from the equation. But at the same time, he spent time in that role, and the trends in production vs opportunity are there for everyone to see.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 10:32 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Does it really matter, or add significant context to the very narrow scope of what we're discussing here though (re: role on the PP)? I submit that it doesn't, given the hard ice-time and production numbers that most of us also witnessed first-hand. Obviously you can't just completely remove the coach, and his decision-making, from the equation. But at the same time, he spent time in that role, and the trends in production vs opportunity are there for everyone to see.
Then what are you trying to say? I doubt JM called Carbonneau and asked how he likes Lats on the PP 3 years before. As I said earlier, not many 19 or 20 year olds are ready to be on the PP anyways, the fact that his production was not that great is not a big shock.

No matter how you try to slice it, butter it up or put catsup on it, Latendresse was misused by JM from his arrival and was never given the same opportunities as less skilled players and as a result it led to losing a valuable asset for 50% of it's value. We could have likely for Pouliot for a 2nd rounder and had both if you are a fan of Pouliot. 1 for 1 it was a horrible trade at the time.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 10:39 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Then what are you trying to say? I doubt JM called Carbonneau and asked how he likes Lats on the PP 3 years before. As I said earlier, not many 19 or 20 year olds are ready to be on the PP anyways, the fact that his production was not that great is not a big shock.

No matter how you try to slice it, butter it up or put catsup on it, Latendresse was misused by JM from his arrival and was never given the same opportunities as less skilled players and as a result it led to losing a valuable asset for 50% of it's value. We could have likely for Pouliot for a 2nd rounder and had both if you are a fan of Pouliot. 1 for 1 it was a horrible trade at the time.
The same thing as when I started: regardless of who was coaching, Latendresse continued to be used (a lot) on the powerplay (you can argue in circles around who everyone's linemates like others have all you want, he WAS on the PP for all those minutes), yet his PP goal production declined from 5 to 2 to 1. I'm not definitively saying he played his way off the powerplay (I've never talked to any of the coaches personally about this), or shouldn't have been given more/different opportunities to succeed. But if someone points to the trend that I've continued to spell out out here, and says that it's possible his declining PP production led him to be used less frequently in that situation, I'm not going to say he's wrong, that's for sure.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 11:12 AM
Joe Cole

Quote:
The only place he was treated like a star was in the media when he had great camps at 18 and 19. Some fans jumped on board and had unrealistic expectations.
and that is why the media is still talking about him like "the one that got away", that is why there are still threads about losing him.... because no one treated him as a star. Was it the media that chanted "Gui Gui Gui"?

Do you really think that?
Quote:
I don't think the team at any point "caved in to the pressure". At 19 he was too good to be back in junior and he couldn't play AHL.

I don't think he is bitter at all, he seems happy to be where he is and having success.
I say the Habs did caved... he did not dominate the Q, did not dominate the World Juniors, was not sent to the AHL when/if they had a chance...but he stayed on the Pro team.

As an asset, he was not properly developed. He was promoted too fast. The team needed some size, and instead of trading for one or signing a free agent, they promoted a fan/media favorite.

If he was not bitter he would just say, "hey, I am in a new team now. I thank the Habs for bringing me as far as they did." Instead, he feels the need to dish.

So, is it bitter, or just lack of judgement?

Why can't he just play hard and leave the evidence on the ice. I thought he did a good job once he got to Minnesota, why not just let that do the talking?

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 11:46 AM
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

Lats score 27 goals last year, Kostitsyn score 26 goals 3 years ago. Kostitsyn score 23 the year after and 15 last year ,now almost every Habs fans want Kost out.

My point is we don't know what Lats will do next year maybe he will score 35 goals or maybe he will score 19 goals. His S% was 18.8 last year with the Wilds, that mean almost 1 of his 5 shot was a goal. Can he do that next year I have my doubt.

I hope the best for him and maybe this trade will be a mistake but right now it's way to early to know what he will do in the next years.

Quarantesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 12:43 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post
Guillaume is projected as a top 6, gets bumped. A top six player gets injured, Gui gets promoted. Player comes back from injury, Gui is bumped back down. Repeat.

THAT is how he gets his shot, he does not steal the spot and keep it. That is what all those people who you do not understand who say "he had more then 1 chance" are referring to.
He didn't steal the job, not because he didn't do it properly, check the stats, but because the organization preferred the fast moving legs of superstar Higgins. Lats stole it. The Habs took it back from him, Latendresse didn't hand that to them....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post
Was Guillaume a superstar? No.
Was he treated like one by the fans/media? Yes.
Was it a mistake by the Habs management to cave to that fan/media pressure? Yes.
Did the Habs waste an asset which they had been searching for? Yes.
Is Guillaume bitter and maybe naive/stupid enough to react in the media the way he has? My 2 cents, yes.
The only reason why he was treated like a superstar, the way Leblanc is already treated, it's because there's just a few of them. The idea that this organization will surround them with "fine" (not any Q player) quebecers, the "star" factor will be divided in so many players.

Yet, how was he really treated like a superstar? The Gui, gui, Gui chant? How many weeks did that last? Then, when he was playing his role in the 3rd line with Lapierre, people were happy for him. Yes, he was recognized by the people, yes he was invited in shows....but superstar? I would have love that the Habs management thought he was a superstar....they would have treated him differently, certainly not give his spot back to Higgins....

Does he always say the right things on TV? Probably not. I feel though that he speaks his mind. He doesn't seem to like the "I'll give my 100%" type of phrase but lately, he choose his words a little more carefully. Thing is....he might never come as the sharpest knife in the drawer but then who really cares? Score 30 goals, sing La Cucaracha and I'll be happy nonetheless. I'm looking for a hockey player. Not a future Nobel Prize....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 04:38 PM
Joe Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
He didn't steal the job, not because he didn't do it properly, check the stats, but because the organization preferred the fast moving legs of superstar Higgins. Lats stole it. The Habs took it back from him, Latendresse didn't hand that to them....
There is no conspiracy. Three coaches all came up with the same answer. He was not ready yet. and I am not saying the others were either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post

The only reason why he was treated like a superstar, the way Leblanc is already treated, it's because there's just a few of them. The idea that this organization will surround them with "fine" (not any Q player) quebecers, the "star" factor will be divided in so many players..
...and that is how a player is destroyed. Bad expectations.

I agree with your last comment too "Score 30 goals, sing La Cucaracha and I'll be happy nonetheless. I'm looking for a hockey player. Not a future Nobel Prize...." that is all I want to.

No politics, no language debate...just hockey.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 10:53 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Guillaume Latendresse is on "Sucré Salé" now

his favorite movie is the Lion king; lolwut?

That's the only thing I can laugh on him

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 03:29 AM
Komarov47

He's a ****** but he will be a good hockey player, bertuzzi type.

Komarov47 is offline   Reply With Quote