HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

WWDC 2010 - 10am PST/ 1pm EST

Old
06-09-2010, 05:34 PM
FruityPants3*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSeven View Post
I used the 50 minutes included in my monthly plan.
How much do you use it now? Also, how do you think the number of N95 users on video chat compares with the amount of iPhone users? Pick a network...

FruityPants3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 06:02 PM
Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by FruityPants3 View Post
How much do you use it now? Also, how do you think the number of N95 users on video chat compares with the amount of iPhone users? Pick a network...
If you're going down this road, might as well take it to the logical extreme. How many computers are video chat capable, and how much do users with said capabilities actually use it?

Regardless, I'm sure this will be popular because it has the Apple name attached to it.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 06:06 PM
SilverSeven

Quote:
I use a N1 now. My N95 was stolen.

And unlike the iphone, the N95 can video chat with any phone with a front facing camera, just like every other phone on the market.

So if you are asking me how many people own phones with front facing cameras vs prospective Iphone4s? Id say Iphone loses out there.

Last edited by SilverSeven: 06-09-2010 at 06:16 PM.
SilverSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 06:19 PM
Cone

Send a message via AIM to Cone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
If you're going down this road, might as well take it to the logical extreme. How many computers are video chat capable, and how much do users with said capabilities actually use it?

Regardless, I'm sure this will be popular because it has the Apple name attached to it.
the extra camera didn't increase the retail price so it's all good with me.

it really does seem like a great package for such a low price. the build quality looks amazing. the screen resolution, processor speed/multi-tasking, battery life.

faaarrrrrr more impressive than those ipads. the ipad feels like it should have been released sometime around the iphone 3g, or maybe 3gs. the iphone 4 actually seems like something worth the hype.

Cone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 06:28 PM
FruityPants3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post

Not where I'm going at all. I'm pointing out the network limitations associated, and trying to flesh out the reason it isn't successful in NA. How popular is videochatting in the US? There is a reason AT&T won't let the iPhone do it, and that reason is because it will be extremely popular. Where as video chatting on devices like the N95 was a niche market at best, poorly marketed, and never fully realized. So comparing iPhone video chat on a congested AT&T network to anecdotal experience with an N95 on Rogers 2 years ago is a bit of a faulty comparison. Apple hasn't half-assed it, the network they have in the US can't support it. Of course it's not always going to be WiFi only.

Old
06-09-2010, 06:31 PM
SilverSeven

Quote:
Not where I'm going at all. I'm pointing out the network limitations associated, and trying to flesh out the reason it isn't successful in NA. How popular is videochatting in the US? There is a reason AT&T won't let the iPhone do it, and that reason is because it will be extremely popular. Where as video chatting on devices like the N95 was a niche market at best, poorly marketed, and never fully realized. So comparing iPhone video chat on a congested AT&T network to anecdotal experience with an N95 on Rogers 2 years ago is a bit of a faulty comparison. Apple hasn't half-assed it, the network they have in the US can't support it.
Again, I commented in response to someone noticing how bad the video chat was on WiFi. Not AT&T. WiFi. So I compared that to my experiences using a phone on a network, which was much better.

SilverSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 06:34 PM
FruityPants3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSeven View Post
Again, I commented in response to someone noticing how bad the video chat was on WiFi. Not AT&T. WiFi. So I compared that to my experiences using a phone on a network, which was much better.
You are referring to the same WiFi network that couldn't load the New York Times website, correct?

Old
06-10-2010, 11:48 AM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Don't get into that. You'll be sorely disappointed. Nokia, only one of many manufacturers that make phones with front facing cameras, EASILY outclasses ALL iPhones (Original, 3G, 3GS combined) in world sales.

So you put all of those video callers together they VASTLY outnumber the small pool of people with iPhone 4s who will Facetime.

Sined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 01:27 PM
FruityPants3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
Don't get into that. You'll be sorely disappointed. Nokia, only one of many manufacturers that make phones with front facing cameras, EASILY outclasses ALL iPhones (Original, 3G, 3GS combined) in world sales.

So you put all of those video callers together they VASTLY outnumber the small pool of people with iPhone 4s who will Facetime.
I'm talking about in North America. We've already conceded video chat is not, currently, popular in NA. Why aren't more people using the N95 or other devices to video chat in NA?

Old
06-10-2010, 02:17 PM
McSorleyStick
CYBORK

Hands on, hands on, hands on !!!!!!!!!!

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/07/i...irst-hands-on/

McSorleyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 07:39 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/TECH/mob...red/index.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5on3 View Post
Hands on, hands on, hands on !!!!!!!!!!

Your URL is broken

Old
06-10-2010, 07:45 PM
FruityPants3*

Quote:
Hilarious non-story. I mean if you bought the marketing hype, you are probably the type that lacks critical thinking anyways (not directed at Sined, obviously). It doesn't change the fact that it's probably best screen on a mobile phone out there.

Old
06-10-2010, 07:54 PM
Cherepanisimov

Quote:
Apparently the 477 number is the definitive limit on differentiating the pixels, but that is for absolute perfect eyesight. 300 is the cutoff for the average sighted person, so what Jobs said does apply to most people.

But as you know, Apple, and every other company, is known to stretch the truth a little. But if Jobs had the knowledge of this and flatout lied, that's just taking too far. I'm sure most people would be perfectly fine with him saying that is the limit for normal people, he didn't have lie about it.

Quote:
Hilarious non-story. I mean if you bought the marketing hype, you are probably the type that lacks critical thinking anyways (not directed at Sined, obviously). It doesn't change the fact that it's probably best screen on a mobile phone out there.
Doesn't make it OK to lie to get your point across, though.

Cherepanisimov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 08:07 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Best Resolution and pixel density without a doubt.

But IPS > AMOLED/Super AMOLED is quite arguable.

Old
06-10-2010, 08:50 PM
McSorleyStick
CYBORK

Quote:

McSorleyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 01:39 PM
FruityPants3*

Quote:
Best Resolution and pixel density without a doubt.

But IPS > AMOLED/Super AMOLED is quite arguable.

Yup, for sure. The reason I love Apple's focus on this screen isn't because I necessarily want an iPhone, but because the attention for other manufacturers will immediately shift to providing an undisputedly better screen in the next few months.

Samsung's response

Old
06-11-2010, 03:54 PM
invictus

This competition sure is great for consumers. I mean, think of the difference from 2005 to now compared to 2000 to 2005. Hooray for progress.

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 12:34 AM
guinness
those were the days

I just saw this pic on engadget, and something about it looks completely ridiculous. Basically, while Folders reduces the number of pages that you have to wade through, multiple folders looks ugly as sin, not to mention all those itty bitty icons.

Maybe part of the reason for the screen res upgrade too, so people can still make out some of those...and I read another point about the Home button having to to many things now, in order to navigate, like multasking, etc. Some one compared it to being like Morse code.

What started out really simple, is turning somewhat more convoluted and complex.

guinness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 12:51 AM
awesomo
HARD!

after thinking about it some more, i really think that new iphone is quite attractive; however, i think i would be happier with an android phone

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 01:48 AM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness View Post

I just saw this pic on engadget, and something about it looks completely ridiculous. Basically, while Folders reduces the number of pages that you have to wade through, multiple folders looks ugly as sin, not to mention all those itty bitty icons.

Maybe part of the reason for the screen res upgrade too, so people can still make out some of those...and I read another point about the Home button having to to many things now, in order to navigate, like multasking, etc. Some one compared it to being like Morse code.

What started out really simple, is turning somewhat more convoluted and complex.
That's a really good point.

Old
06-12-2010, 07:07 AM
Le Tricolore
Franchise Players

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
Quote:

You don't have to use folders...

Le Tricolore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 11:56 AM
FruityPants3*

Quote:

Yes on both. The home button is now following the path of the single button mouse. They are too stubborn to improve the control, and now instead of being a simple interface, it's outgrown the OS and become more complicated. Not much different from having to hit keyboard combos like you are playing Tekken just to accomplish simple tasks like right clicking.