HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Plekanec will leave ...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-11-2010, 12:07 PM
  #51
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban
 
Team_Spirit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 20,397
vCash: 700
Habs rules at losing assets for nothing. Ribeiro,Souray,Komisarek and soon Pleks and SK.

Team_Spirit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 12:18 PM
  #52
MathMan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 16,891
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
if they aren't suited to the system the coach is running, what in the world was management thinking???
Martin said he wanted a puck possession system. Management believed him and picked a roster on that basis.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 12:27 PM
  #53
jcpenny
Registered User
 
jcpenny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,878
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Spirit View Post
Habs rules at losing assets for nothing. Ribeiro,Souray,Komisarek and soon Pleks and SK.
In the case of Souray, Komi and maybe Pleks, you never trade key players when youre in a playoff race. Its always easy to say that after. As for SK, he shouldnt be even mentionned.


Last edited by jcpenny: 06-11-2010 at 12:48 PM.
jcpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 12:47 PM
  #54
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis
 
Blind Gardien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Four Winds Bar
Country: France
Posts: 19,405
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Spirit View Post
Habs rules at losing assets for nothing. Ribeiro,Souray,Komisarek and soon Pleks and SK.
Habs rule at getting assets for nothing? Gionta, Cammalleri, Hamrlik, and soon... whoever replaces Pleks and SK?

It's just the modern NHL.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 01:02 PM
  #55
Bobby12345
Registered User
 
Bobby12345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 214
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyshea View Post
I know it will be really hard to replace him but i'm tired of his play in the playoffs or lack there of so I really don't care if we resign him. But I doubt we find any replacement near his talent
Imagine if Detroit had been tired of Datsyuk's play in his first few playoffs...

Bobby12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 01:32 PM
  #56
Frozenice
the random dude
 
Frozenice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,177
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
the funny/scary thing about it is that 4 of those 6 players were brought in AFTER Martin was hired as coach...

if they aren't suited to the system the coach is running, what in the world was management thinking???
I think they went out and got the best players they could, players that had grit and had proven themselves. In the next couple of years as they draft, sign and trade for players that fill specific needs and wants we should get a clearer picture of the type of team that Martin and Gauthier prefer to have.

This whole "puck possession system" has as much meaning to me as "a new paradigm" or "computing in a cloud", or "fiscal conservative" or any other trendy saying.

When we were getting 45 - 50 shots on our goalies almost every game he was making the same claim which was bogus then because the other team had the puck for almost the entire game.

Frozenice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 01:45 PM
  #57
bipolarhabfan
Registered User
 
bipolarhabfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Burnaby, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,573
vCash: 500
If Pleks leave, the Habs will have a huge hole to fill. The only comparable player on the market is Marleau and he has played wing in the last few years. That means that the Habs will have to go via the trade route if they want a good center. However, we may not have the player assets to do so. And no, I do not think that trotter is an option.

bipolarhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 02:40 PM
  #58
Pleky Roks
Registered User
 
Pleky Roks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,227
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Spirit View Post
Habs rules at losing assets for nothing. Ribeiro,Souray,Komisarek and soon Pleks and SK.

Well...the only player I regret losing is Ribeiro...he had some serious talent. Souray had a career year and will never EVER be able to score as many points as he did in his last season as a Hab, Komisarek CHOSE to go play for the Leafs for the sake of $500,000....good riddence as far as I'm concerned. He had 1 good year as well.

Mark Streit was another player that I wish we had kept, but his poor defensive play meant he had to go.

Pleks will re-sign with the Habs....3 or 4 year deal between 4 and 5 million.

Sergei Kostitsyn can go fly a kite as far as I'm concerned. He has no heart and isn't willing to be part of the team and do what it takes to win.

So out of all those players, we actually only missed out on Ribeiro and Streit.....the rest of them are brutal players who either wanted too much money or didn't want to be part of the team.

Pleky Roks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 08:15 PM
  #59
habtastic
Registered User
 
habtastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mumbai via MTL
Country: India
Posts: 9,212
vCash: 500
First of all:
"good riddance" ? Are you serious? He was overall our best player this year (aside from the goalies) and that in includes the heroics of Gomez, Gionta and Cammy. At the very least he was as important as them. He was also quite good in the playoffs playing HIS ROLE. Yes, he could have scored one or two more, but he played great and he's a positive influence in the dressing room, a guy who likes to play for us, a smart player and I just don't get the non-love for him. What does he have to do?

I hope and think he will be signed (I wager 4.5).

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 09:32 PM
  #60
hogtownhabsfan*
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,727
vCash: 500
I really like Pleks, but I have my concerns about locking him up for 5mill plus.

1. He's too similar to Gomez who we are married to.
2. He's dissapeared in the playoffs the last few years.
3. He's another small scoring liner, on a team loaded with them.

I'd like to target a bigger player with some jam, but can play with cammy. Obviously this player would have to be had via trade, and I wouldn't like to lose pleks for nothing either.

Spezza, Stall, there are guys who fit this description out there. Hopefully Gautieur can get it done.

But worse case scenario is letting Pleks walk, and not replace him.

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 10:18 AM
  #61
Frozenice
the random dude
 
Frozenice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,177
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bipolarhabfan View Post
If Pleks leave, the Habs will have a huge hole to fill. The only comparable player on the market is Marleau and he has played wing in the last few years. That means that the Habs will have to go via the trade route if they want a good center. However, we may not have the player assets to do so. And no, I do not think that trotter is an option.
If Pleks leaves I am starting to come around to giving Pouliot a chance at being the #2 centre and move Cammy up to the 1st line. We would then have to trade for someone like Clowe or Ladd to play on the 2nd line with Benoit and AK. This should give us enough spare cash in the kitty to go after one of the better UFA defenseman out there (providing we trade Spacek).

The problem with going the trade route route is unless you go after someone like Robert Nilsson the only players the other teams will be interested in will be either Markov or Subban. The other teams may be willing to trade a decent center prospect or a draft pick for one of our goalies but that will be about it.

Frozenice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 10:25 AM
  #62
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle
 
JLP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,065
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Spirit View Post
Habs rules at losing assets for nothing. Ribeiro,Souray,Komisarek and soon Pleks and SK.
sadly, yeah.

JLP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 10:26 AM
  #63
Metropolitsky
Still 4x more cups
 
Metropolitsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,414
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Spirit View Post
Habs rules at losing assets for nothing. Ribeiro,Souray,Komisarek and soon Pleks and SK.
Every team that let UFA walk away are losing them for nothing.

I don't want to burst your bubble but some teams have let way better players walk away. I guess they rules more

Metropolitsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 11:20 AM
  #64
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 22,898
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpenny View Post
In the case of Souray, Komi and maybe Pleks, you never trade key players when youre in a playoff race. Its always easy to say that after. As for SK, he shouldnt be even mentionned.
Souray and Komi were offered contracts, but neither one wanted to re-sign here.
Management should have foreseen it. I was all for trading Souray and also wanted Ryder out. I understand why they didn't do it, but we can now say it was a mistake.
I would have also parted ways with Komi. It's absolutely important for you as a manager to know just how big the chances of re-signing one of your assets are.
You can't move everybody, I'm aware of that, but our asset management over the past years have been mediocre to say the least.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 11:29 AM
  #65
Mats NAslund
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 4,154
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
I really like Pleks, but I have my concerns about locking him up for 5mill plus.

1. He's too similar to Gomez who we are married to.
2. He's dissapeared in the playoffs the last few years.
3. He's another small scoring liner, on a team loaded with them.

I'd like to target a bigger player with some jam, but can play with cammy. Obviously this player would have to be had via trade, and I wouldn't like to lose pleks for nothing either.

Spezza, Stall, there are guys who fit this description out there. Hopefully Gautieur can get it done.

But worse case scenario is letting Pleks walk, and not replace him.
Whats even nuttier is that his Agent is looking for Plekanec to get paid bigger dollars then Staal (long term 4 mil) Kesler 6 years 5 mil per. Both guys mentioned are Pleks equal as two way players and both know how to get dirty and score those garbage goals. Something Plekanec will never be able to do!

Mats NAslund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 11:29 AM
  #66
jcpenny
Registered User
 
jcpenny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,878
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Souray and Komi were offered contracts, but neither one wanted to re-sign here.
Management should have foreseen it. I was all for trading Souray and also wanted Ryder out. I understand why they didn't do it, but we can now say it was a mistake.
I would have also parted ways with Komi. It's absolutely important for you as a manager to know just how big the chances of re-signing one of your assets are.
You can't move everybody, I'm aware of that, but our asset management over the past years have been mediocre to say the least.
When you decide not to trade your UFA assets at the trade deadline the % of losing them for nothing goes through the roof. Unless they really want to play here, the odds are against you. We can blame the management all we want but the Habs were always front runners for that 8-7 spot at that time so trading these guys would just make no sense. Like ive said, its easy to talk after when we get eliminate of the playoffs and we lose players after for nothing.

jcpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 11:46 AM
  #67
Corey
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,300
vCash: 500
The problem with letting Plekanec walk is twofold:

1) There are few obvious "big" replacements.

2) Those who might qualify, as I read in this thread (Spezza or Marleau), would be even more expensive. Besides, Marleau is quite a bit older than Plekanec and he hasn't shown any inclinination to play here. As for the Staals (either one who plays centre) wouldn't be available.

This is a dead end argument so far as I'm concerned. Plekanec stays, period.

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 12:54 PM
  #68
Mats NAslund
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 4,154
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
The problem with letting Plekanec walk is twofold:

1) There are few obvious "big" replacements.

2) Those who might qualify, as I read in this thread (Spezza or Marleau), would be even more expensive. Besides, Marleau is quite a bit older than Plekanec and he hasn't shown any inclinination to play here. As for the Staals (either one who plays centre) wouldn't be available.

This is a dead end argument so far as I'm concerned. Plekanec stays, period.

As far as I'm concerned I would not sign Plekanec at any more then 4 million. Even if he reproduced last seasons totals I would rather take my chances with a UFA / Trade or one of Trotter, Maxwell or Desharnais. 5 million is way too much for guy who can't bring it come playoff time.

For God sakes Kesler makes five Million and brings and extra aspect to his game that Plekanec can't, and that's play physical and score dirty goals.

Mats NAslund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 01:09 PM
  #69
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,191
vCash: 500
5 millions is also my personal limit for Plekanec. I just can't see him making more than Gionta, who had great playoffs, score more goals and is as good a two-way player as Plekanec.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 01:17 PM
  #70
Bieber fever
Registered User
 
Bieber fever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Westmount
Posts: 5,104
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
5 millions is also my personal limit for Plekanec. I just can't see him making more than Gionta, who had great playoffs, score more goals and is as good a two-way player as Plekanec.
Best comprable player to plekanec is Derek Roy IMO.....and he's making 4$M/years. So 5M$ ,I think is agood limite.

Bieber fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 02:00 PM
  #71
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 14,127
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats NAslund View Post
As far as I'm concerned I would not sign Plekanec at any more then 4 million. Even if he reproduced last seasons totals I would rather take my chances with a UFA / Trade or one of Trotter, Maxwell or Desharnais. 5 million is way too much for guy who can't bring it come playoff time.

For God sakes Kesler makes five Million and brings and extra aspect to his game that Plekanec can't, and that's play physical and score dirty goals.
Look at the list of upcoming UFAs. You don't have the remotest idea whom you'd replace him with. Last I heard, Kesler isn't availalable, so why even mention him? Trotter, Maxwell, and Desharnais are fringe players. Not one of them is worth $1M/yr, so all you could trade them for are other fringe players. You'd better learn to live with Plekanec. You already live with Gomez's bloated saklary. Besides, it's not your money, so don't fret about it.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 02:31 PM
  #72
AntonCH
Registered User
 
AntonCH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,683
vCash: 500
When will people learn?

First and foremost hockey is a business, a Money business!

UFA's walk because they do not re-sign, granted, however, teams do not get rid of them at the deadline if they are in a playoff drive.
Would the habs have made an estimated 20 million dollars in this year's playoffs if Plekanec had been dealt? I doubt they would have gone as far, so no as long as you have a chance you go for it.
Now ask the Molsons what they would have preferred in the case of pleks - the money or a pick/prospect.
The answer in my humble opinion is an easy one.

Same applies to Souray and others, so give it up its getting old and you're not seeing the game for what it really is, a money business

AntonCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 02:58 PM
  #73
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 22,898
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpenny View Post
When you decide not to trade your UFA assets at the trade deadline the % of losing them for nothing goes through the roof. Unless they really want to play here, the odds are against you. We can blame the management all we want but the Habs were always front runners for that 8-7 spot at that time so trading these guys would just make no sense. Like ive said, its easy to talk after when we get eliminate of the playoffs and we lose players after for nothing.
You also have to be a realist. For Souray, we were seriously battling through it although I'm sure moving him would not have effected us in one bit.
At some point, you have to start looking at the odds of us going for a long run in those POs.
Last year, it was an injury riddled team through the end of the year and complete mayhem in terms of attitude. We had no chance of upsetting any team.

I understand why we didn't move anybody. But we had a lot of upcoming UFAs, with all the drama surrounding our team last year, I would have put an ''X'' on it and try to load up on picks/prospects.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 03:11 PM
  #74
AntonCH
Registered User
 
AntonCH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,683
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
You also have to be a realist. For Souray, we were seriously battling through it although I'm sure moving him would not have effected us in one bit.
I beg to differ
Souray was the shooter on the PP
And if you may choose to recall, that year it was the only way we were scoring goals. I would've made one Helluva difference.

As for the picks and prospects, it's a case of varying returns. Last year we were praising BG for moving Rivet and getting back Pacioretty and that Gorges. This year it's more like - we got Gorges and that kid with potential.

As good as a pick or prospect might look you just don't know

AntonCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 03:13 PM
  #75
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston
 
Analyzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 40,786
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Spirit View Post
Habs rules at losing assets for nothing. Ribeiro,Souray,Komisarek and soon Pleks and SK.
One of these isn't like the other.

Though, we did get Conboy for Ribeiro.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:59 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.