HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why can't Brock Trotter become the #2 center?

Old
06-11-2010, 07:01 PM
Sargent Pepper*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
Marian Hossa, 2008, signs one-year deal with Detroit Red Wings.

We are not the Detroit Red Wings though...
I had forgotten that one......great pick up! Thanks!

Yet, I still think that if you are a prime UFA with tons of negotiating power (such as Marleau this year, Hossa last year, etc...) you will probably not accept the risk of a one year contract.....but milk your negotiation power for all its worth.....I think, anyway....

Sargent Pepper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 09:52 PM
Ubercron9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
He's not ready for a big role like that anyways. The only centre in the system who could be a second centre is probably Maxwell, and I don't think he could do the job. There's always Desharnaies, but he's so small so it would be a huge risk. We can't enter next season without Plakanec or finding a good replacement for him if he leaves.
It is reasons like this that montreal cannot develop players and trade them when they are young. We need to give trotter a chance but we will over pay to get a center and be stuck with him for awhile.

Ubercron9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 10:24 PM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
lol because (disregarding the fact that is not even his position), you don't throw a rookie on your top-6 when he's not exactly done anything to warrant that magnitude of confidence. why not trade Hamrlik and play Carle on the 2nd pairing? Because it's irrational

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 12:04 AM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargent Pepper View Post
I dont remember ever seeing a prime UFA sign a one year....doest not stand to reason....
Hossa

Really......Marleau signing a one year deal?????I agree with you on this one, doesn't stand a chance.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 12:22 AM
Habs13

Just when I think we can't get any smaller ...somebody wants Trotter as 2nd line center. Holy cow!

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 12:37 AM
Habs13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarto View Post
Clowe - Gomez - Gionta
Cammalleri - Pouliot - Armstrong
Pacioretty - Moore - Moen
Lapierre - Pyatt - White
I like it! As long as we can improve the D a bit, too.

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 12:45 AM
NewHabsEra*

lol cant believe some people think Pleks can be replaced with ease..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 01:27 AM
InglewoodJack

vCash: 1340
Quote:
Originally Posted by riders on the storm View Post
Only the biggest habs optimist thinks that Plekanec is coming back. Columbus, even the Leafs are looking for a center.

If we keep Moore as our third line center and put a skilled center like Trotter with Cammy and Akost in a contract year, why can't we make this work?

$51.56k Salary Cap

Pouliot 1 Gomez 7.3 Gionta 5
Cammalleri 6 Trotter 1 AKost 3.2
Moen 1.5 Moore 1.2 Lapierre 1
Pacioretty .9 White .8 Pyatt .8

Darche .6 Maxwell .85 or Conboy .5

Markov 5.7 O'Byrne .94
Subban .87 Spacek 3.8
Gorges 1.1 Gill 2.25
Carle .8

Halak 2.5 Price 2.5
And only the biggest habs optimist thinks that Trotter has top 6 skills.
We need Pleks, plain and simple.

InglewoodJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 02:07 AM
Komarov47

Because he haven't got the talent, simply as that !

Komarov47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 06:01 AM
ReVeuF

If starting next season Trotter is our 2nd centre, we are in big trouble, even Maxwell as our 2nd centre I will feel the same thing

ReVeuF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 07:45 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodJack View Post
And only the biggest habs optimist thinks that Trotter has top 6 skills.
We need Pleks, plain and simple.
It's not just about skills, you don't pencil in an unproven rookie in your top 6. Maybe if he had an NHL year under his belt and had shown he could possibly handle it, then fine.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 10:52 AM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
He's not ready for a big role like that anyways. The only centre in the system who could be a second centre is probably Maxwell, and I don't think he could do the job. There's always Desharnaies, but he's so small so it would be a huge risk. We can't enter next season without Plakanec or finding a good replacement for him if he leaves.
He would be a huge risk in Montreal BECAUSE we don't have big wingers. But put him with a couple of bigger wingers and the guy will produce as he has done at EVERY levels since he's playing hockey.

This guy has a real hockey sense and loads of courage.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 10:53 AM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
It's not just about skills, you don't pencil in an unproven rookie in your top 6. Maybe if he had an NHL year under his belt and had shown he could possibly handle it, then fine.
I see this has a fan who would love for this to happen and it pure fantasy. Sure if it came down to it, I'm sure he would make a different lineup. It's a bit of homer ism that we has fan suffer from time to time. Take me for example, I would love for Avstin to come to MTL and play top line. Although I know it's morerlikely not happening and the chance at success are slim, that is what I would love to see and it's purely fantasy.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 11:51 AM
24Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by riders on the storm View Post
$51.56k Salary Cap

Pouliot 1 Gomez 7.3 Gionta 5
Cammalleri 6 Trotter 1 AKost 3.2
Moen 1.5 Moore 1.2 Lapierre 1
Pacioretty .9 White .8 Pyatt .8

Darche .6 Maxwell .85 or Conboy .5

Markov 5.7 O'Byrne .94
Subban .87 Spacek 3.8
Gorges 1.1 Gill 2.25
Carle .8

Halak 2.5 Price 2.5
How did you make Hamrlik and his $5.5m salary disappear? Has everyone given up hope on Weber? I'd have him at #7 ahead of Carle. I'd also be surprised to see Halak at less than $3.5m. As for Trotter, if he can earn a spot in training camp, let's see what he can do. I wouldn't be annointing him #2 center right now.

I don't want to derail the thread but would Koivu at $3m be a potential #2 center to replace Plekanec is he signs elsewhere? I know this was discussed in another thread but this might work. He'd be the two-way center to fill Plekanec' skates on the PP and PK.

24Cups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 11:57 AM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24Cups View Post
How did you make Hamrlik and his $5.5m salary disappear? Has everyone given up hope on Weber? I'd have him at #7 ahead of Carle. I'd also be surprised to see Halak at less than $3.5m. As for Trotter, if he can earn a spot in training camp, let's see what he can do. I wouldn't be annointing him #2 center right now.

I don't want to derail the thread but would Koivu at $3m be a potential #2 center to replace Plekanec is he signs elsewhere? I know this was discussed in another thread but this might work. He'd be the two-way center to fill Plekanec' skates on the PP and PK.
Carle has to clear waivers to go down to the AHL next year, so he'll likely either be our #7 D or traded.

YMCMBeaulieu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 01:22 PM
AllCanadienFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Trotter has been a LW the entire time he's been with us. He was mostly a LW at DU as well I believe.

Why would you pay him 1M?
Exactly, if he's proven one thing over the last two ears it's that he can score big time during the season and disappear in the playoffs. bsides how many smurfs do you need.

AllCanadienFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 03:55 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pernell Karl View Post
Carle has to clear waivers to go down to the AHL next year, so he'll likely either be our #7 D or traded.
Has also Hamilton's best defenseman at the time of his injury and didn't look out of place in the games he played with us this season.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 03:58 PM
go_habs_go

Send a message via MSN to go_habs_go
Sergei Kostitsyn + 1st RD Pick for Patrick Sharp

Andrei Kostitsyn + Jaroslav Halak for Dustin Penner + Gilbert Brule

Roman Hamrlik to Columbus for 3rd RD Pick

Cammalleri - Plekanec - Sharp
Penner - Gomez - Gionta
Pouliot - Brule - Armstrong
Lapierre - Pyatt - Moen

go_habs_go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 04:23 PM
markov`

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_habs_go View Post

Andrei Kostitsyn + Jaroslav Halak for Dustin Penner + Gilbert Brule
This trade would be even be worst than Patrick Roy trade.

markov` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 07:43 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pernell Karl View Post
I think Carle would pass through waivers no problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Big Bear View Post
Because he haven't got the talent, simply as that !
Not sure I agree, the one thing I'd say he does have is the talent, he's very skilled with the puck. Can pick the corners, even though his shot isn't heavy, he can setup plays well, and he has some slick moves. My concern with him is that he's not strong, he's not very quick, he's not physical, he's not very good in his own end, and he doesn't always work hard. He has made good strides since joining the Dogs but to me he has a lot of holes in his game, so for him to be a regular with us seems far fetched as we don't need to get smaller/softer. But I do like him as a guy to fill in if injuries hit, I like Desharnais more and I have no clue if Trotter can be successful at the NHL level but in the AHL and NCAA he's been very good for the most part.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 08:03 PM
OneSharpMarble

God this team is pathetic at centre, having it laid out there and our upcoming options are Maxwell and Desharnais really drives home how inept our scouting has been.

Yup really glad we picked all those american dmen before a centre with size. We are reaping the rewards.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 08:35 PM
kent_carlson

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Not sure I agree, the one thing I'd say he does have is the talent, he's very skilled with the puck. Can pick the corners, even though his shot isn't heavy, he can setup plays well, and he has some slick moves. My concern with him is that he's not strong, he's not very quick, he's not physical, he's not very good in his own end, and he doesn't always work hard. He has made good strides since joining the Dogs but to me he has a lot of holes in his game, so for him to be a regular with us seems far fetched as we don't need to get smaller/softer. But I do like him as a guy to fill in if injuries hit, I like Desharnais more and I have no clue if Trotter can be successful at the NHL level but in the AHL and NCAA he's been very good for the most part.
Wow that was quite an honest opinion. So, should the Habs trade the guy for someone with less flaws or should they wait because the guy is still young and helping the AHL team being successful?

kent_carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 08:53 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
God this team is pathetic at centre, having it laid out there and our upcoming options are Maxwell and Desharnais really drives home how inept our scouting has been.

Yup really glad we picked all those american dmen before a centre with size. We are reaping the rewards.
Maxwell was a second round pick..

Desharnais was signed as an overage UFA

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 08:47 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Trotter may not even make it to the NHL and suddenly he's ready to be our number 2 center?

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 07:10 PM
InglewoodJack

vCash: 1340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Well yeah, that's true too. I mean, I see Trotter being able to be like Bozak, but we're A) not bad enough to allow Trotter top 6 time like the Leafs did with Bozak, and B) Not good enough to cover his rookie mistakes. Honestly, we don't have the room to give him that one year. But I'd like to see Trotter get his chance.

InglewoodJack is offline   Reply With Quote