HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

World Cup Talk

Closed Thread

Old
06-12-2010, 08:36 AM
blue68

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to blue68
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjets36 View Post
exactly. i love that about us soccer. at least they arent diving all over the field like spain, portugal, brazil, argentina, etc... that's why ronaldo got his nuts stomped on last world cup by wayne rooney. he dove, rooney got a foul, and ronaldo got what he deserved.
Actually it was Carvalho that rooney "stomped" on and Ronaldo was the most vocal pointing it out to the refs -- And Ronaldo did get what he deserved - he scored the winning goal in the shoot out that knocked England out

Would love to see either Spain or Brazil win but as long as England and France (yes because of Henry) are out I am happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangersfan30 View Post
I think there will be a lot o people wearing these t-shirts here in Scotland

Still have my T-shirt from 1994 - "The Irish are coming; The Irish are coming; the British are staying home"

Old
06-12-2010, 09:46 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Ugh, I'm not a fan of this buzzing sound the South African fans make. Sounds like a swarm of bees flying over the place. Where's the singing and chanting?

Old
06-12-2010, 09:53 AM
yarre

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
Ugh, I'm not a fan of this buzzing sound the South African fans make. Sounds like a swarm of bees flying over the place. Where's the singing and chanting?
It is terrible... I thought that having it in africa would be great. We always hear about how they love rythm and drums and such, why then use the must monotone sound in the world? It is cool for 10 minutes but now it is really really getting old. Besides it sounds too much like F1 IMO.

Old
06-12-2010, 01:07 PM
Gaborik and the King

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarre View Post
It is terrible... I thought that having it in africa would be great. We always hear about how they love rythm and drums and such, why then use the must monotone sound in the world? It is cool for 10 minutes but now it is really really getting old. Besides it sounds too much like F1 IMO.
omg those stupid horns are killing the world cup. u cant even hear any crowd noise. they got old after the 2nd game of the confederations cup.

Old
06-12-2010, 01:09 PM
AJRanger

The Vuvuzela's are awful, but they were to be expected in Africa. The lack of attendance is a more worrying thing.

Old
06-12-2010, 02:23 PM
ecemleafs

Viva Rob Green!

Old
06-12-2010, 02:57 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 1000
Really an outstanding match played by a USA squad that was up against a very good England team.

Even though its only 68 min great match by USA.

Old
06-12-2010, 03:08 PM
broadwayblue

Assuming the US can earn a draw today what realistically do they need to do in the next two games to move on to the next round?

Old
06-12-2010, 03:25 PM
AJRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabborik View Post
Really an outstanding match played by a USA squad that was up against a very good England team.

Even though its only 68 min great match by USA.
Really good England team? No.

Solid performance from the USA, but we were - once again - awful.

Old
06-12-2010, 03:26 PM
17futurecap

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Assuming the US can earn a draw today what realistically do they need to do in the next two games to move on to the next round?
I think a draw and a win to get to 5 points would be enough, the problem is the USA now being favorites in the next two matches, I feel like they better when they are dogs. Interesting to see if Slovenia can get the win tomorrow, and make USA Slovenia Friday very tough. Slovenia plays very good defense, and a lot of low scoring matches.

Old
06-12-2010, 03:28 PM
ecemleafs

the USA actually played well below their best. Not a lot of composure and the strikers didnt make any off the ball runs to open anything up. Typical England though.....some of the best players in the world always look **** together.

Old
06-12-2010, 03:37 PM
Rust Heisenberg

the main culprit of this us team is bob bradley. he doesn't coach even adequately!

that being said fabio cappella didnt coach well either.

Old
06-12-2010, 04:02 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
the USA actually played well below their best. Not a lot of composure and the strikers didnt make any off the ball runs to open anything up. Typical England though.....some of the best players in the world always look **** together.
Sounds like the pre cap Rangers. lol

Old
06-12-2010, 04:15 PM
Valverde

Jesus, South Korea - Greece has been the most entertaining game so far...
Tonight's game was such a borefest, no offense to your players. Onyewu was solid battling with Heskey, plus dangerous at set-pieces. Good stuff from Donovan, too. England are, well, England. I really thought with Capello they can achieve something, they've had very good qualifications, but their team is so, uhhh, incomplete? They've got plenty of very good players, but they're overshadowed by awful players like Heskey, Johnson, Green, Terry, Phillips.

Well done to you, guys, I still think the hardest game in the group is behind you, the rest should be in your bag already, you're just too solid tactically and defensively. Looking good as far as making knock-out stages, wish you well.

Old
06-12-2010, 04:24 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

I have only a passing interest in soccer. The thing that has struck me the most about the World Cup is the incredible (and often shameless) promotion of the tournament and the events leading up to the actual games by ESPN. We can only wish that hockey could get that kind of pandering.

Old
06-12-2010, 04:25 PM
ecemleafs

I hope we play Torres over Clark and Buddle or Holden over Findley against Algeria and Slovenia. We should be dominating possession and territorially against them so we need to have players that are creative and can finish plays. Clark sucks. He doesnt defend as a DM particularly well and doesnt offer anything in terms of possession and attack.

Old
06-12-2010, 04:35 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Even with his days as a member of the Metrostars Clark was really nothing to write home about on the offensive side of things. What shocked me was how he got absolutely torched by Gerrard leading to the goal by England. His rock solid defense is the reason why he's on the team, and he commited a huge blunder today. I'd question Bradley if Clark starts next game.

Old
06-12-2010, 04:45 PM
AJRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valverde View Post
Jesus, South Korea - Greece has been the most entertaining game so far...
Tonight's game was such a borefest, no offense to your players. Onyewu was solid battling with Heskey, plus dangerous at set-pieces. Good stuff from Donovan, too. England are, well, England. I really thought with Capello they can achieve something, they've had very good qualifications, but their team is so, uhhh, incomplete? They've got plenty of very good players, but they're overshadowed by awful players like Heskey, Johnson, Green, Terry, Phillips.

Well done to you, guys, I still think the hardest game in the group is behind you, the rest should be in your bag already, you're just too solid tactically and defensively. Looking good as far as making knock-out stages, wish you well.
Heskey was probably our best player as shameful as that is to admit, and Terry's one of the best centre-backs in the world. Wright-Phillips, however, is ******* awful.

I fully expect England and the US to win both of their remaining games and go through, it'll just be interesting to see who can score more to win the breaker.

Old
06-12-2010, 04:49 PM
ecemleafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJRanger View Post
Heskey was probably our best player as shameful as that is to admit, and Terry's one of the best centre-backs in the world. Wright-Phillips, however, is ******* awful.

I fully expect England and the US to win both of their remaining games and go through, it'll just be interesting to see who can score more to win the breaker.
yeah heskey was solid today. has to bury that chance he had but most of ur attack was having players run off of heskey and that resulted in gerrards goal. ur wingers have absolutely no final ball though.

Old
06-12-2010, 04:58 PM
AJRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
yeah heskey was solid today. has to bury that chance he had but most of ur attack was having players run off of heskey and that resulted in gerrards goal. ur wingers have absolutely no final ball though.
Yeah, that's Plan A; lump it up to Heskey/Crouch and have them flick it on for Rooney/Gerrard. Unfortunately none of our wingers can cross outside of Beckham which makes his injury such a blow - either way, we'd have won today if it weren't for Green's clanger so I'm not too downbeat.

I like the US strikers; can't remember their names but they're both blindingly fast.

Old
06-12-2010, 05:17 PM
LeetchisGod
1 cup in 74 years

I am pleased with the result. England is my second favorite team after the US so I hope they both go far.

Old
06-12-2010, 05:19 PM
Valverde

Quote:
Yes, he was one of the best players which says its all really. And Terry? Give me a break, in Chelsea Carvalho is the guy who covers for Terry's mistakes, in England Ferdinand does the same. King's a much better defender than Terry. He's awful positionally, he always makes "last ditch" tackle and it makes him look tough and good, but come on. He's also pretty slow and has no idea how to pass, he usually just clears the ball. nothing else. The guy's opinion is on of the biggest football misconseptions.

Don't get me wrong, I wish Rooney well, but I don't see England making it far. They've no attacking ideas, not much support from wing backs, wingers don't deliver the ball at all, Rooney's isolated, Lampard and Gerrard - they provide no defensive coverage, and it's proven that they can't play together in a two-man midfield.

I see the main idea - fast wingers delivering the ball to a tall striker and Rooney having sort of a free role. But what's the role of Gerrard and Lampard then? Full backs can't attack too much as there's no defensive midfielder to cover for them, and there's little creativity out of that Gerrard/Lampard midflield.

I don't think it's going to work, as the tall striker working with Rooney is either Crouch or Heskey. The whole midfield is flawed - if Fabio wants to go with 4 4 2, he has to drop Gerrard or Lampard, preferably Steve as he's average in two-man mid and they need Barry/Carrick/Hargreaves (yeah, I know Hargo isn't there) with Lamps... If Fabio wants to go with 4 3 3, then he may combine Lampard, with Carrick/Hargo/Barry etc. and put Rooney as the main forward with hmm, Young, Agbonlahor.

As we can see Fabio went with the classical 4 4 2, so he needs to sort out his wingers and the center midfield, the rest will be more or less fine. Oh, wait, you're relying on Green.
(Hart is so much better!)

Good luck, Wayne.

Old
06-12-2010, 05:34 PM
ecemleafs

Quote:
Yeah, that's Plan A; lump it up to Heskey/Crouch and have them flick it on for Rooney/Gerrard. Unfortunately none of our wingers can cross outside of Beckham which makes his injury such a blow - either way, we'd have won today if it weren't for Green's clanger so I'm not too downbeat.

I like the US strikers; can't remember their names but they're both blindingly fast.
altidore and findley played today. altidore is good but too lazy. findley was trash today...didnt utilize his speed at all.

Old
06-12-2010, 05:45 PM
Theon
Registered Hobbit

i thought Nigeria-Argentina was the best game so far. Man Messi and Higuain are good but they missed some really good opportunities. Nigeria couldve tied it up late though. The USA-England game was pretty boring IMO. Rooney couldve done better, same goes for the rest of the team. Only noticeable players were Johnson and Gerrard..and of course Robert "Vaseline gloves" Green. USA's better than I expected. But, they shouldn't rely on their defense to hold leads. They're not Uruguay.

Old
06-12-2010, 05:54 PM
Senorchris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valverde View Post
Yes, he was one of the best players which says its all really. And Terry? Give me a break, in Chelsea Carvalho is the guy who covers for Terry's mistakes, in England Ferdinand does the same. King's a much better defender than Terry. He's awful positionally, he always makes "last ditch" tackle and it makes him look tough and good, but come on. He's also pretty slow and has no idea how to pass, he usually just clears the ball. nothing else. The guy's opinion is on of the biggest football misconseptions.

Don't get me wrong, I wish Rooney well, but I don't see England making it far. They've no attacking ideas, not much support from wing backs, wingers don't deliver the ball at all, Rooney's isolated, Lampard and Gerrard - they provide no defensive coverage, and it's proven that they can't play together in a two-man midfield.

I see the main idea - fast wingers delivering the ball to a tall striker and Rooney having sort of a free role. But what's the role of Gerrard and Lampard then? Full backs can't attack too much as there's no defensive midfielder to cover for them, and there's little creativity out of that Gerrard/Lampard midflield.

I don't think it's going to work, as the tall striker working with Rooney is either Crouch or Heskey. The whole midfield is flawed - if Fabio wants to go with 4 4 2, he has to drop Gerrard or Lampard, preferably Steve as he's average in two-man mid and they need Barry/Carrick/Hargreaves (yeah, I know Hargo isn't there) with Lamps... If Fabio wants to go with 4 3 3, then he may combine Lampard, with Carrick/Hargo/Barry etc. and put Rooney as the main forward with hmm, Young, Agbonlahor.

As we can see Fabio went with the classical 4 4 2, so he needs to sort out his wingers and the center midfield, the rest will be more or less fine. Oh, wait, you're relying on Green.
(Hart is so much better!)

Good luck, Wayne.
I'm pretty sure the only reason they went with a 4-4-2 was Barry's injury, and Carrick's awful form. Barry should be back from the next game onwards, which'll put them in a more familiar 4-1-2-1-2. The only issue is both Gerrard and Lampard going for the CAM role - we all know Frank will get it (has the better shot, can't long pass/cross for peanuts), but Gerrard always looks invisible as a LM/RM. Ho hum, nice problem to have, I guess.

I would've though Green has seen his last game in this World Cup - Hart is the gutsy choice (who has better form), but James is the safe bet. My money is on James - he's less flashy, but he shouldn't be tested a great deal against Algeria or Slovenia, so is probably the sensible option.

I thought Heskey had a great game - fair enough, most of the US defence were ignoring him and concentrating on Rooney in the 1st half, but his pass to set up the goal was excellent, as was his aerial presence against some underrated US centre backs.

Terry and Cole (Ashley) are the only world class defenders England has on the roster. Between paceless Carragher (international refs won't forgive the clawing he gets away with in the premiership), and 'I was born a striker' Johnson, our right hand flank is hideously poorly defended. If the US forwards had the quality that Dempsey and Donovan do in midfield - we'd have lost that game. Terry has made a few uncharacteristic positioning errors this season, both for Chelsea and England (as has Ferdinand), but he's still miles better than the other options - a one legged King, an in-poor-form Upson, or a green Dawson.

US played decently - enough to get through the group, as long as they keep it up against Algeria and Slovenia. I can't see any reason why England won't get through, unless Slovenia and Algeria both try and play them to draws (very possible).

Closed Thread