HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Would the Sharks trade Jumbo Joe?

Old
06-12-2010, 05:11 PM
seanlinden

vCash: 500
Would the Sharks trade Jumbo Joe?

Ordinarily, I would think this is a terrible idea, but the unique cap situation the Sharks are in could make this a relatively viable idea.

With the raises that are due to Pavelski and Setoguchi, at least one of the Sharks big 6 players up front will likely need to go in order to get replace Blake & Nabokov.

In looking at which of the 6, I think it actually may make sense for Thornton to be that player.

Marleau is the easy choice, but he will garner nothing in return and may sign one of those long term deals to keep him in a Sharks uni for the rest of his career, and at a cap hit in the low 5s or high 4s....which will be the best value the Sharks get out of any of those 6. The sharks also have Couture who is developing (deepest position is problably at centre) so Marleau can to centre in the shorter term.

Pavelski is problably the best of their "2nd line" guys and is also a centre. I don't think he is going anywhere.

Setoguchi has a ton of offensive potential at only 22 years old, and his new contract is likely to be the smallest of the big 6.

Clowe represents the only real size in teh top 6 beyond Thornton, and is also younger.

Trading Heatley only a year after getting him isn't really practical. So my question is, why not make a big shake up and trade Thornton? The cap space alone would allow for a big time acquisition on the blueline or in goal, and he'd problably fetch a pretty solid return from a team needing a big time centre. He's been a bit of a disappointment in the playoffs, so that kind of shake-up may just be the thing that the Sharks need.

So the question is, what would it take to get him?

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 05:14 PM
Force951

vCash: 50
More then it would take to get Ryan and you guys are already balking at his price.

Force951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 05:16 PM
goalsversusthreshold*

Doughty or Ovechkin. Maybe Crosby or Datsyuk.

In other words, no thanks.

Last edited by goalsversusthreshold*: 06-12-2010 at 05:26 PM.
goalsversusthreshold* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 05:17 PM
TheHotRock

would a top 6 forward, top 4 d-man, b-plus prospect and a mid first rounder be enough?

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 05:19 PM
nyr2417

Quote:
Originally Posted by Force951 View Post
More then it would take to get Ryan and you guys are already balking at his price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by goalsversusthreshold View Post

He only has 1 year left on his contract he's not going to fetch his true market value with only 1 year left on his contract. Rangers are going to sign him July 1 2011 book it

nyr2417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 05:23 PM
BillR10

vCash: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfried View Post
Ordinarily, I would think this is a terrible idea, but the unique cap situation the Sharks are in could make this a relatively viable idea.

With the raises that are due to Pavelski and Setoguchi, at least one of the Sharks big 6 players up front will likely need to go in order to get replace Blake & Nabokov.

In looking at which of the 6, I think it actually may make sense for Thornton to be that player.

Marleau is the easy choice, but he will garner nothing in return and may sign one of those long term deals to keep him in a Sharks uni for the rest of his career, and at a cap hit in the low 5s or high 4s....which will be the best value the Sharks get out of any of those 6. The sharks also have Couture who is developing (deepest position is problably at centre) so Marleau can to centre in the shorter term.

Pavelski is problably the best of their "2nd line" guys and is also a centre. I don't think he is going anywhere.

Setoguchi has a ton of offensive potential at only 22 years old, and his new contract is likely to be the smallest of the big 6.

Clowe represents the only real size in teh top 6 beyond Thornton, and is also younger.

Trading Heatley only a year after getting him isn't really practical. So my question is, why not make a big shake up and trade Thornton? The cap space alone would allow for a big time acquisition on the blueline or in goal, and he'd problably fetch a pretty solid return from a team needing a big time centre. He's been a bit of a disappointment in the playoffs, so that kind of shake-up may just be the thing that the Sharks need.

So the question is, what would it take to get him?
First let me start by saying the chances of jt getting traded are as good as Mario making another comeback. No reason to trade our franchise center that guarantees playoff revenue and an enthused fan base year after year. Everyone always talks about the Thornton effect and how players are better cause of him, so Without Joe do the sharks make the playoffs the past few years? But if they were to trade him I would think it would take an elite player of his caliber. They are not gonna trade the franchise player for prospects and picks. The sharks are not rebuilding.

BillR10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 05:27 PM
BillR10

vCash: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2417 View Post
He only has 1 year left on his contract he's not going to fetch his true market value with only 1 year left on his contract. Rangers are going to sign him July 1 2011 book it
Sharks will reup him before this offseason is over, book it. Same thing happened last time, they resigned him the offseason prior. No reason to think they won't reup him as soon as they take care of current business

BillR10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 05:29 PM
93gilmour93

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHotRock View Post
would a top 6 forward, top 4 d-man, b-plus prospect and a mid first rounder be enough?
it would cost something like sturm , stuart , primeau

93gilmour93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 05:34 PM
GE0

Barring an offer they cannot refuse, the only reason I can think of for the Sharks to trade Jumbo Joe is if they are quite confident he will leave in free agency next summer.

I don't that either he or they feel that way, though.

Last edited by GE0: 06-12-2010 at 05:43 PM.
GE0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 05:41 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillR10 View Post
First let me start by saying the chances of jt getting traded are as good as Mario making another comeback. No reason to trade our franchise center that guarantees playoff revenue and an enthused fan base year after year. Everyone always talks about the Thornton effect and how players are better cause of him, so Without Joe do the sharks make the playoffs the past few years? But if they were to trade him I would think it would take an elite player of his caliber. They are not gonna trade the franchise player for prospects and picks. The sharks are not rebuilding.
I'm not saying to trade him for prospects / picks, I'm saying to make a hockey trade. Let's say that one option is trade Clowe for a guy like JM Liles, and then sign UFA goalies / another defenceman with minimal cap space.

Another alternative may be trading him for something like a younger top 6 winger and top 4 defenceman, or quality goaltender, (all who make less then him combined) then going out and signing a free agent like Paul Martin with all of the extra cap space, it may make for a team better positioned to compete in the playoffs.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 06:10 PM
Rickety Cricket

I doubt it. Despite what people say, he actually played pretty well during the playoffs.

Rickety Cricket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 06:16 PM
goalsversusthreshold*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickety Cricket View Post
I doubt it. Despite what people say, he actually played pretty well during the playoffs.
Obviously you haven't read the oft-used, handy guide to saving time posting on HFBoards:
1. Don't watch Capitals, Penguins or Sharks games
2. Say Ovechkin's one dimensional, Crosby whines, Thornton's a choker, and Green can't play defense
3. Be agreed with and applauded for your insight

goalsversusthreshold* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 06:25 PM
DuckEatinShark
GET ALL THE PPs!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalsversusthreshold View Post

Um yeah, we can take any of those 4 players for Thornton

One year of Thornton is worth Drew Doughty!

DuckEatinShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 06:29 PM
Belak Attack
:walrus:

Send a message via MSN to Belak Attack
For the right price, sure they'd trade him. Will they get the right price? Probably not.

You'd definitely have to overpay for a player like Thornton. I doubt any team would want to pay the "asking" price, because it's too high for one guaranteed year of Thornton.

I doubt he ends up getting traded.

Belak Attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 06:32 PM
thrillermiller89

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillR10 View Post
Sharks will reup him before this offseason is over, book it. Same thing happened last time, they resigned him the offseason prior. No reason to think they won't reup him as soon as they take care of current business
glad someone said it, good post

thrillermiller89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 06:36 PM
hockeyball

Uhg.

No.

I will say this again, hopefully you'll listen this time.

Joe Thornton is good for business. Guarantee's a playoff berth every year. He sells a TON of merchandise, he makes other players look good who also sell a ton of merchandise.

If ownership allowed Joe to be traded they have no interest in making money. I find that highly doubtful.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 06:49 PM
Esoteric Ubiquity*

Yeah totally. I'd expect a return of Bailey Coulson and Streit.

Esoteric Ubiquity* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 06:59 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
Captain Tavares

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bridge View Post
Yeah totally. I'd expect a return of Bailey Coulson and Streit.

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 07:03 PM
Esoteric Ubiquity*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin27NYI View Post
I loved hearing that story about the reporter who kept getting his name wrong.

Esoteric Ubiquity* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 07:27 PM
gvkmedia
Preaching B's hockey

This is easy...

Sturm, Stuart (Mark - not Brad) and Primeau - no wait - uh how about Hamil. It ryhmes with Primeau. He's probably better than Primeau. Okay, it sort of ryhmes.. kinda.

See? Now, where's Mike O'connel to make this happen...

gvkmedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 07:30 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
Captain Tavares

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bridge View Post
I loved hearing that story about the reporter who kept getting his name wrong.
i loved hearing him ripping on the isles two years in a row and then they put the article in the locker room and beat teh nucks two years in a row.

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 07:46 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
To answer the OP, it is not a viable idea because of how Doug Wilson treats players he's given NTC's to. DW has never and will never put a player with an NTC on the trading block or discuss trades with them involved. Joe Thornton being one with an NTC will not be asked nor will be discussed in trade talks.

In general, I wouldn't mind Thornton being dealt for the right package because they're good enough taking him out to still be a good team. I do acknowledge the business side of things and what JT brings but the Sharks have shown they can succeed in the pocketbook as long as they put out winners. So as long as the trade would improve the team now, it would be fine. However, it's not going to happen given the circumstances.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote