HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

World Cup Talk

Closed Thread

Old
06-12-2010, 06:00 PM
Rust Heisenberg

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
altidore and findley played today. altidore is good but too lazy. findley was trash today...didnt utilize his speed at all.
there was a play where it was findley and 2 english defensemen running for a ball hit over their heads. findley easily outran i think it was terry but somehow couldn't outrun carragher who was running alongside him for the entire time. it was disappointing.

Old
06-12-2010, 06:03 PM
ecemleafs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjets36 View Post
there was a play where it was findley and 2 english defensemen running for a ball hit over their heads. findley easily outran i think it was terry but somehow couldn't outrun carragher who was running alongside him for the entire time. it was disappointing.
carragher is good at getting away with holding/fouling. carragher cut across findley and held him back. findley really needs to run more though. hes not in the squad for any other ability then his pace.

Old
06-12-2010, 06:04 PM
Dr. Ogrodnick

vCash: 661
Quote:
carragher is good at getting away with holding/fouling. carragher cut across findley and held him back. findley really needs to run more though. hes not in the squad for any other ability then his pace.
That was also the point that it was apparent that Findley was out of gas. Bradley subbed him out shortly after that play.

Old
06-12-2010, 06:08 PM
ecemleafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Ogrodnick View Post
That was also the point that it was apparent that Findley was out of gas. Bradley subbed him out shortly after that play.
thats where we really mis charlie davies. provides the pace findley does, but is actually good at other things such as finishing and making intelligent runs.

Old
06-12-2010, 06:25 PM
Dr. Ogrodnick

Quote:
thats where we really mis charlie davies. provides the pace findley does, but is actually good at other things such as finishing and making intelligent runs.
Very true. I thought Gomez should have come in for Findley around the 65th minute or so, but that's just me.

Old
06-12-2010, 07:35 PM
TomLaidlaw

I wrote up my thoughts on the game in the soccer thread because I forgot we made a World Cup Thread here on the Ranger board. I will just copy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
USA Thoughts:

-Can someone help me understand what Ricardo Clark does well? He never plays well, outside of the one excellent goal in qualifying. He was horrid in the rest of that game however. He looks like a deer in headlights and you simply can't have a player with that little confidence in the midfield if you expect to do anything.

-Good job by Bradley subbing Altidore. He looked exhausted.

-I was impressed with Findley, he looked dangerous. I thought he drew a foul against Carragher. Which would have given the US a free kick right outside the box.

-Howard played well and got the job done.

-Gooch and Demerit had some good moments and some not some good moments. I thought Gooch played outstanding the last 20 mins of the game. Playing really aggressive.

-Cherundolo was our best defender by a large margin. He played really well.

-Carlos Bocanegra was ok outside of the one time Lennon made him look silly. I am not a huge Bocanegra fan. I think he is horribly overrated.

-Donovan and Dempsey played decent but we are gonna need them to be better if we want to go anywhere in this tourney.

-Michael Bradley was not very good. All his touches were off. Either too hard or too soft. He needs to be better.

-Jozy, had me up off my couch the way he blew by Carragher. Big save by Green.

Overall: I wasn't real happy with our play. We gave up a ton of high quality scoring chances and leaned on Howard a little to much. The breakdowns early in games is something that is really frustrating and has been haunting us for a while. Not sure why it happens. This time I do know. Ricardo Clark lost his man because he is an awful player who does nothing well.

England Thoughts:

-Rooney looked half asleep the first 60 mins of the game. Then he woke up and looked dangerous creating a few high quality scoring chances.

-Gerrard and Johnson really impressed me. They both look confident and strong all game. Gerrard did get spun into the ground by Dempsey on the goal however.

-Heskey shouldn't be starting for England. He has no finishing touch. He had 3 or 4 golden opportunities and couldn't convert any.

-Did Lampard play? I didn't notice him.

-What happened with Milner? Was he playing hurt? He looked terrible. I don't blame Capello for subbing him out early on. Why did he start? Why isn't Joe Cole starting for England? Fitness or form?

-You gotta feel bad for Green. I thought he made a good save on Altidore but he will be remembered for that mishap.

-Carragher looked awful. He looked hungover. He got brutalized by Jozy. Then he should have been called for a foul right outside the box when he hip checked Findley off the ball.

Overall: They could have won this game even with the goaltender mistake if Heskey had any finishing ability. I still think they will win the group.
Gotta give credit to AJRanger who said England should start Hart over Green earlier in the thread. He called it right.

Old
06-12-2010, 07:44 PM
ecemleafs

Quote:
I wrote up my thoughts on the game in the soccer thread because I forgot we made a World Cup Thread here on the Ranger board. I will just copy it.

Gotta give credit to AJRanger who said England should start Hart over Green earlier in the thread. He called it right.
milner was coming back from being sick and didnt look up for the match. i agree clark was horrible, but wasnt impressed by findley either.

Old
06-12-2010, 07:46 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

I want to see;

Maurice Edu start over Ricardo Clark next game

Buddle start with Altidore, with Gomez and Finley as the first replacements.

Onyewu to play a little less aggressive, as his speed clearly isn't up to par and he isn't able to fully compensate from missed challenges.

The first U.S. goal was entirely on Onyewu, as well. I know Clark had some blame but if Onyewu is where he should be England never gets a clear shot on net in that situation.

Old
06-12-2010, 07:48 PM
Dr. Ogrodnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
I want to see;

Onyewu to play a little less aggressive, as his speed clearly isn't up to par and he isn't able to fully compensate from missed challenges.

The first U.S. goal was entirely on Onyewu, as well. I know Clark had some blame but if Onyewu is where he should be England never gets a clear shot on net in that situation.

Yep. Onyewu steps forward for the initial ball and got caught, which threw his teammates off and opened up all the space for Gerrard to run into. I'd like to see Torres out there, but I'm not sure how that happens since the coach's son never sits.

Old
06-12-2010, 07:49 PM
ecemleafs

Quote:
I want to see;

edu or torres. for the next two games against weaker teams i hope torres plays though since hes more likely to create a goal and sustain attacks then edu is.

Old
06-12-2010, 07:49 PM
ecemleafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Ogrodnick View Post
Yep. Onyewu steps forward for the initial ball and got caught, which threw his teammates off and opened up all the space for Gerrard to run into. I'd like to see Torres out there, but I'm not sure how that happens since the coach's son never sits.
coaches son shouldnt sit. hes miles better than any other CM we have.

Old
06-12-2010, 07:52 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
coaches son shouldnt sit. hes miles better than any other CM we have.
He's pretty solid both ends of the field. Not a playmaker or overly offensive but with Donovan and Dempsey on either side he does what we need.

I will be happy if Bornstein never sees the pitch this world cup.

Old
06-12-2010, 07:53 PM
ecemleafs

how do u get to the other sports section on HF?

Old
06-12-2010, 07:54 PM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
milner was coming back from being sick and didnt look up for the match. i agree clark was horrible, but wasnt impressed by findley either.
Ah, that makes sense then. He looked sick the way he played. Capello made some curious moves. Why start Milner if he was ill? Why replace him with Shaun Wright-Phillips and force him to play on the left where he isn't comfortable. What is the deal with Joe Cole? Why isn't he starting or at least the first sub off the bench? Is he hurt?

I just rewatched the game on DVR and Heskey played much better than I gave him credit for initially. He set up the early goal and actually created some chances. He still couldn't score in a brothel with a handful of hundred dollar bills though.

I am convinced Clark has compromising photos of Bob Bradley.

Old
06-12-2010, 07:56 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Well, Bradley likes the boys that helped them finish 2nd in the confederations cup.

I dont remember that roster verbatum, but I think Clark was there.

Dempsey has clutch big game ability. Donovan delivers the solid balls on set pieces and across the box. Now we need the D and strikers to perform better if the U.S. wants to make some noise in this tournament.

Old
06-12-2010, 07:57 PM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
how do u get to the other sports section on HF?
On the top right is a link called " Forum Jump". They have baseball, basketball, soccer etc. sections. It is right above the Vbookie link.

Old
06-12-2010, 07:57 PM
Dr. Ogrodnick

I'm not saying he shouldn't be on the team. There are just some scenarios where he may not be the best man for the job. I resent the fact that he was named starter for the world cup the day his father became coach. He wasn't particularly good today, although I thought most of the team was a little nervy. The good thing is, the US plays pretty poorly at least once during a tournament, if it comes against England and you still get the draw, you are in pretty good shape.

The key game is and always was Slovenia next. 3 points is crucial.

Old
06-12-2010, 07:59 PM
ecemleafs

Quote:
On the top right is a link called " Forum Jump". They have baseball, basketball, soccer etc. sections. It is right above the Vbookie link.
thanks dude

Old
06-12-2010, 08:00 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Yeah, rooting for either a tie or an Algeria win, for sure.

Old
06-12-2010, 08:07 PM
ecemleafs

lol, imagine if the USA was able to field a lineup with all the players eligible for them?

Altidore Rossi
Donovan Jones Bradley Dempsey
Boca Subotic Hangeland/Onyewu Cherundolo
Howard

.....damn traitors

Old
06-12-2010, 08:13 PM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
I actually think Gooch plays better when he isn't thinking as much and instead is just playing instinctually. The first goal he got caught flat footed and ended up in no mans land. I think the 2nd half of the game specifically the last 30 mins when England was lobbing balls into the box Gooch was really good. He was hard on the ball and taking charge and looked confident doing so. We are gonna need him and Demerit to play really strong if we are gonna have any chance. Especially since we may find ourselves in situations later in the tourney where we are holding 1 goal leads.

I thought Cherundolo was incredible. far and away our best defender. He was also giving Milner fits on the outside before he got subbed out.

Old
06-12-2010, 08:20 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Cherundolo >>>> Bocanegra that game, and it showed. I'd bet that 85% of England's chances were on Bocanegra's side of the field.

Im undecided on Demerit. As long as I dont hear or see him too much he's playing fine in my eyes.

Old
06-12-2010, 08:24 PM
ecemleafs

Quote:
Cherundolo >>>> Bocanegra that game, and it showed. I'd bet that 85% of England's chances were on Bocanegra's side of the field.

Im undecided on Demerit. As long as I dont hear or see him too much he's playing fine in my eyes.
cherundolo did outplay boca. but boca was dealing with players on their strong foot on the right rather then on the left with wright phillips, rooney, gerrard on their weaker left foot.

Old
06-12-2010, 08:27 PM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
lol, imagine if the USA was able to field a lineup with all the players eligible for them?

Altidore Rossi
Howard

.....damn traitors
Rossi would have been a sure fire starter for the USA. Instead he gets cut from the Italian team and gets to watch the World Cup on TV in NJ. Rossi's decision I can live with though because he made it known from the start that he wanted to play on the Italian side.

Subotic on the other hand really hurts. Especially since he played on the U-17 and U-20 teams. If Rongen doesn't publicly bash Subotic he would most likely have stayed within our system and be on the USMNT. Just a dumb situation that turned out awful for us.

If a kid has his heart set on playing for a different country like Rossi that is one thing but to lose a player of Subotic's quality over some coach comments is rough.

Old
06-12-2010, 11:00 PM
Vidic15

Quote:

Altidore Rossi
Howard

.....damn traitors
Everyone in this country is a traitor then. Subotic should have never considered playing for US after this country illegally bombed Srbija in 1998. Napred Srbija!

Closed Thread