HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Opinion: And the greatest spectator team sport of all is _________

Old
06-12-2010, 08:33 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

vCash: 500
Opinion: And the greatest spectator team sport of all is _________

Ok, so I'm checking out the FIFA World Cup and its ok... but only ok, imo

To me this game has nothing of the intensity and excitement of the recent Habs/Caps series...

With its combination of speed, game flow, athletic agility, tactics, danger and contact... Is hockey not the greatest of all spectator team sports?

I put this question out there...

ps. I think many more Americans may have caught on to the incredible allure of hockey with the Hawks/Flyers final.

pps. I realize that that as this is a hockey forum the results may be slightly biased

Ok.. my poll didn't get picked up

the choices: (please feel free to help, mods)

hockey
soccer
football
baseball
basketball
rugby
other

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 08:40 PM
Gary320

There is a difference between World Cup football and Club football, you can't expect 11 guys to right away off the bat, click and have great team chemistry. If you watch Club Football, the players know each other more well so it's alot faster and alot more fluid.. Internationally.. they dont see each other as much, so team chemistry is a bit harder to get in my opinion.

Every sport has a team approach of team work.. and everyone will argue their sport is better TBH.

And lots not compare the crowds. There is a difference between hearing a bunch of people in a huge opened stadium than 21 000 people in a closed smaller stadium. Obviously the smaller stadium will sound louder. Plus microphones on hanging from the roof as well... You should see club games though, crowd is amazing.

I love Canadiens, I love hockey.. but neither sport is better than the other.. Obviously if I could play one, its Hockey because I think I'm a smarter, better hockey player than I am a soccer player.. but besides that.. I like both sports.

Last edited by Gary320: 06-12-2010 at 08:46 PM.
Gary320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 08:42 PM
habtastic

Obviously anything that is pro-hockey will be seen as bias given the board and of course football has an insane following with cheers, rituals, fan support (good and bad), but I still cannot even compare watching hockey (and our beloved Habs) to watching football. Even if you have a team to cheer for and feel passionately about, IMO (which is bound to be in the minority) the Habs (or even the finals ftm) >>>>>world cup>other sports.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 08:49 PM
Gary320

Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
Obviously anything that is pro-hockey will be seen as bias given the board and of course football has an insane following with cheers, rituals, fan support (good and bad), but I still cannot even compare watching hockey (and our beloved Habs) to watching football. Even if you have a team to cheer for and feel passionately about, IMO (which is bound to be in the minority) the Habs (or even the finals ftm) >>>>>world cup>other sports.
For club, I would agree with this. Since I'm not a huge fan of the Impact yet, but when I cheered for Manchester United (part of the Ronaldo bandwagon) it's true that I did not feel as excited when they won the championship (both premiership/champions league) as I would if it was the Habs.

However, internationally.. when Portugal went all the way to the finals in 2004, you bet your ass I was excited as hell.. and disappointed as hell when they lost.

But yeah, I'd take Habs winning the cup over Portugal winning the cup ANY DAY.

Gary320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 08:57 PM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

The NFL has too much time between plays. Gets boring.
The MLB is like a pitch and minute and takes 5 hours. Gets boring.
The NBA have freak athletes and all it is is Isos 24/7. Gets dumb.
Soccer doesn't have enough action.

Hockey, Rugby and College Basketball are the best spectator sports.

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 09:04 PM
Vasculio
Booya !

I love hockey the most, but of all major team sports, I just dislike baseball, soooooo boring and slow...

Vasculio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 12:00 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary320 View Post
There is a difference between World Cup football and Club football, you can't expect 11 guys to right away off the bat, click and have great team chemistry. If you watch Club Football, the players know each other more well so it's alot faster and alot more fluid.. Internationally.. they dont see each other as much, so team chemistry is a bit harder to get in my opinion.

Every sport has a team approach of team work.. and everyone will argue their sport is better TBH.

And lots not compare the crowds. There is a difference between hearing a bunch of people in a huge opened stadium than 21 000 people in a closed smaller stadium. Obviously the smaller stadium will sound louder. Plus microphones on hanging from the roof as well... You should see club games though, crowd is amazing.

I love Canadiens, I love hockey.. but neither sport is better than the other.. Obviously if I could play one, its Hockey because I think I'm a smarter, better hockey player than I am a soccer player.. but besides that.. I like both sports.
and just when gary had you thinking he was making a serious post, BAM high stick to the face! 4 minutes in the box !

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 12:02 AM
Fire Brunet*

Hockey
Bball
Soccer

Baseball

Fire Brunet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 12:10 AM
Hank Scorpio

I only really been known to immerse myself in hockey but have been known to follow the NBA/March Madness and major soccer events (world cup, Euro's, finals). I've recently developed a taste for Rugby (union and league but union is better) and Aussie rules football (great game, very fast paced, involves a lot of skill) but that's mostly because I've been living in Australia for a little bit now. I can watch a NFL game passively but really have no invested interest in it, I watch the super bowl for water cooler talk if anything. I can't take baseball and cricket, they are both fun sports to play but I find watching the sport mind numbing and not in a good way. If I had to put it in order I guess it would look like this:

Hockey
March Madness/NBA
Soccer
Rugby Union
Aussie rules Football
Rugby League
Golf (with no invested interest)
Tennis (See golf.)
Other
One of those fishing shows
maybe darts if it's Sunday and I'm hungover
Trick shot pool is also kind of cool but I'm not sure if that counts as a sport
NFL but only if there's nothing else to do or it's the super bowl.
Baseball then Cricket but only because Cricket games go for days on end

At the end of the day though hockey, in my very biased opinion, is the greatest sport both to watch and to play. Also it's an easy sport to convert people too, it really caters to all kinds of sports fans in my opinion.

Hank Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 02:12 AM
LyricalLyricist

Hockey

I don't like any other sport.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 07:51 AM
TheBourkeIdentity

Hockey
Polo, body checking on horseback!
Hurling

TheBourkeIdentity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 07:58 AM
HomaridII

Soccer played at its highest level can be quite entertaining, the world cup is not Soccer's highest level, despite popular belief .. too many bad teams like South Africa, Algeria, Slovenia, North Korea, etc.. mediocre teams like Uruguay, Honduras, Paraguay, New Zealand, etc..

If you want to see a good tournament, watch the European Championships .. 16 teams and they are all very good teams .. think of

Italy, Spain, England, Germany, Holland, France, Serbia, Portugal, etc..

It is a much more competitive tournament with no easy games and a much higher level of soccer overall. Even the bottom 8 teams are teams like Sweden, Denmark, Slovakia, Switzerland ... good well structured teams.

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 08:32 AM
Pascal

NFL is boring
MLB is ultra boring
NBA is boring and repetitive and plus I can't get myself to cheer for most of their athletes
Football has one goal per game and people kicking the ball back and forth for 50 mins
Tennis is semi-interesting
Formula 1 is all about the money
Nascar left turns all day
UFC is exciting and fun

The only sports for me are hockey and UFC.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 08:58 AM
akalaM

Quote:
The only sports for me are hockey and UFC.
^This.

akalaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 11:33 AM
bipolarhabfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
Soccer played at its highest level can be quite entertaining, the world cup is not Soccer's highest level, despite popular belief .. too many bad teams like South Africa, Algeria, Slovenia, North Korea, etc.. mediocre teams like Uruguay, Honduras, Paraguay, New Zealand, etc..

If you want to see a good tournament, watch the European Championships .. 16 teams and they are all very good teams .. think of

Italy, Spain, England, Germany, Holland, France, Serbia, Portugal, etc..

It is a much more competitive tournament with no easy games and a much higher level of soccer overall. Even the bottom 8 teams are teams like Sweden, Denmark, Slovakia, Switzerland ... good well structured teams.
I think Europe can easily place sixteen to twenty teams in the World Cup. There are that many good teams. Heck, a country like Ireland could probably beat 20 teams at the WC and give the big teams you mentioned fits.

As for best spectator sport, it has to be football with hockey a close second. The atmosphere in the stadiums is insane. Unlike in NA, fans cheer throughout the game and not when they are told to by a set of clapping hands on the jumbotron. Here is the best example that I could find:

As for the argument of a lack of scoring in football, it is overstated. Just look at the Premiership this season. The top three teams ended up with 272 goals scored and the same trend can be seen in the La Liga. The WC has less goals because teams are coming together at the last minute and need a few games to gel. Look at Team Canada at the Olympics. They sucked during the group stage but turned it up later on in the tournament and scored in droves.

Lastly, there is no correlation between the number of goals scored in a game and the level of excitement. There were a lot of goals in the first game of the Stanley Cup Final but I did not find it exciting because of how bad the goalies were playing. A few years ago, Italy beat Germany 2-0 in one of the best football games in the last ten years. It was exciting despite so few goals.

PS: How quickly we forget the 10 years from 1995-2005 when there were practically no goals in the NHL. Team sports like football and hockey are cyclical; there are eras where offense dominates and others were defense is king.

bipolarhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 11:35 AM
Clumsyhab

Not a single mention of WWE and any wrestling fans? You can say whatever you want about wrestling, but their fans are passionate.

Clumsyhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 11:51 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylife View Post
Ok, so I'm checking out the FIFA World Cup and its ok... but only ok, imo

To me this game has nothing of the intensity and excitement of the recent Habs/Caps series...

With its combination of speed, game flow, athletic agility, tactics, danger and contact... Is hockey not the greatest of all spectator team sports?

I put this question out there...

ps. I think many more Americans may have caught on to the incredible allure of hockey with the Hawks/Flyers final.

pps. I realize that that as this is a hockey forum the results may be slightly biased

Ok.. my poll didn't get picked up

the choices: (please feel free to help, mods)

hockey
soccer
football
baseball
basketball
rugby
other
No kidding.

Put this poll in any other sports forum and each will find a way to put their favorite in the first place and find the reason why. Then proceed to discredit all the others (or most of them) from their biased opinion.

People already have their pre-determined idea of which they like best and find the reasons why after. Nothing wrong with it, but it's not going to get you anything else then people agreeing with each other on hockey.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 01:05 PM
Travis Moen

Hockey is a great sport, but I'd watch a game involving Manchester United over a Stanley Cup in which habs are involved.

Travis Moen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 08:26 PM
Mats NAslund

I love the Habs and I mean love......Spent almost 2000 in tickets in the playoffs!

Nothing compares to world Cup soccer though....

You think Habs fans are nutz, go to a game where 60 to 100 thousand fans are in attendance.

As for your comment about the games being just OKAY....Wait until the next round where the weaker teams are eliminated.

Think of the Group stage games in soccer as the last 10 games of the regular season (NHL) where there are a few races for those final spots!

Nothing like World Cup soccer!

Mats NAslund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 08:57 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Hockey (for obvious reasons: speed, skill, physicality, strategy)
Football (American. Some are turned off by the short bursts of action between long pauses, but I really appreciate the strategy/read/react aspect. Skill, physicality, and strategy)
Aussie Football (learn the rules and the scoring, and you'll love it; speed, skill, and physicality)
Basketball (speed, skill, physicality, strategy)
Football (Soccer. As a former high school and university keeper, I surprised myself by finding this at only #5 on my list)
Baseball (but mostly in Japan - very much like going to a soccer game in Europe. I like going to ballparks here, too, but otherwise only put MLB on as background on a Sunday if nothing else is on)

Last edited by Ohashi_Jouzu: 06-13-2010 at 09:03 PM.
Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 08:59 PM
timbitca

Hockey for me obviously, but then I'll watch the Red Sox or Patriots any day of the week too

timbitca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 07:15 AM
Corky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Moen View Post
Hockey is a great sport, but I'd watch a game involving Manchester United over a Stanley Cup in which habs are involved.
What?

Corky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 07:25 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
NHL
NFL
Soccer

Don't really watch or care for Baseball & Basketball.I also like tennis,watching and playing

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 07:27 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
so you would prefer a Man U vs Hull city instead of a Habs game in the SCF? Now that's crazy!!

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 07:36 AM
Kebekoi

Quote:
I'll get you a bucket of water for dousing those incoming flames

Kebekoi is offline   Reply With Quote