HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Seagates Momentus XT Solid State Hybrid

Old
06-12-2010, 10:31 PM
Led Zappa
Oy vey...

vCash: 500
Seagates Momentus XT Solid State Hybrid

This drive is a compromise to a full SSD drive, but at an almost standard disc drive cost. This looks like a great drive for the price though it isn't a panacea and a true SSD is still leaps and bounds better, but this looks to be a great compromise until SSD's prices come down.

I've been trying to get one since they were announced for release, but they sell out fast. I have one on order with Amazon, but I just got an email that says delivery is going to be anywhere between July 07 2010 - August 04 2010. Newegg had them on sale a couple days ago, but I thought that meant Amazon would ship mine soon. Now I'm signed up for notice with Newegg and hope they get some sooner than Amazon and I can cancel my order.

Quote:
Knowing how the adaptive memory on the Momentus XT works, reveals one of the drawbacks of a hybrid design such as this one—the flash memory will offer no performance benefit to infrequently accessed or new data. So, with large file copies, application installations, and the like, the Momentus XT will perform like a standard HD.

Performance Summary: The Seagate Momentus XT produced some interesting performance results. In the purely synthetic tests designed to look at raw throughput, the Momentus XT generally performed like a high-end,
7200 RPM hard drive--transfer rates typically fell between the WD Scorpio Blue and Seagate Barracuda desktop drive. In the system level benchmarks like those employed in PCMark Vantage, however, once the Momentus XT's adaptive memory technology learned the usage patterns and copied over the most commonly accessed bits of data to the solid state portion of the drive, performance improved dramatically. The Momentus XT was never able to truly match the performance of a true SSD, but its performance when the adaptive memory technology was used was far superior to a standard HD.
Here's the link to the whole review.

http://hothardware.com/Articles/Seag...review/?page=1

"This is not a nick or a scratch, this is an open wound" - Doug Wilson.
Led Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote