HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2010 Draft Talk Part III

Closed Thread

Old
06-11-2010, 08:03 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
He reminds me a lot more of a slightly less solidly-built Perezhogin. Brought over to North America based on the strength of his scoring/offensive play, and convinces someone he's worth a late 1st/early 2nd round pick. Could go on to score 20+ goals in the AHL, but struggle to get the offense going against NHL checking and defenses, forcing him to adapt and try to incorporate/develop different aspects into his style to maintain a spot in a team's top 12, probably with mixed success, and what happens from there is anyone's guess.

He's probably not as likely to jump ship to the KHL if he struggles at first, but I'm not sure if I'd use a 1st rounder on him unless I had multiple picks in the 2nd/3rd round to fall back on. I don't see a player who is able to control/dictate the flow of the game enough in junior to project to be a can't-miss top-6 player within a couple of years, but maybe that's just me (fwiw, I've seen him play a few times here in Halifax, and even in one game where he scored a screen goal with a pretty good wrister, he wasn't very noticeable otherwise).
I'm not sure where you're going to find can't miss top 6 players that late in the 1st round. There just isn't any.

Getting a guy like Galiev or Straka is probably as good as it gets in that department if you're not dipping in the KHL pool.

As you have, I have concerns about his ability to play his skilled game consistently, but hey, it's a late 1st, those are the types of guys you can really get good value out of. They either pay off or don't. But it's not like we'd be passing on elite top 6 prospects.

Old
06-11-2010, 08:26 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLPacman67 View Post
I'm not sure where you're going to find can't miss top 6 players that late in the 1st round. There just isn't any.

Getting a guy like Galiev or Straka is probably as good as it gets in that department if you're not dipping in the KHL pool.

As you have, I have concerns about his ability to play his skilled game consistently, but hey, it's a late 1st, those are the types of guys you can really get good value out of. They either pay off or don't. But it's not like we'd be passing on elite top 6 prospects.
The concern isn't with him being a "can't miss top-6" guy or not. It's more with what he has to offer a team IF his offense doesn't translate in such a way that he lands in a top-6 role. My concern is that he doesn't offer the safety net of skills required to be effective in bottom-6 duties that other potential 1st round picks have. There are harder-working and stronger (if not bigger) guys in that range with at least similar/equal or even greater offensive potential (many have already been listed here) than Galiev in this year's group. The Habs would be best served going after one of them instead, imo.

Old
06-11-2010, 09:49 AM
JeromeHP
HFBoards Sponsor

http://nhldraftnotes.blogspot.com/

new scouting report have been added

Old
06-11-2010, 10:01 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
The concern isn't with him being a "can't miss top-6" guy or not. It's more with what he has to offer a team IF his offense doesn't translate in such a way that he lands in a top-6 role. My concern is that he doesn't offer the safety net of skills required to be effective in bottom-6 duties that other potential 1st round picks have. There are harder-working and stronger (if not bigger) guys in that range with at least similar/equal or even greater offensive potential (many have already been listed here) than Galiev in this year's group. The Habs would be best served going after one of them instead, imo.
Maybe, but when drafting late 1st, I'd rather go for boom-or-bust guys than role players. You can find guys that bring a bottom 6 skillset a lot later in the draft, guys with big time skillsets that are still key players for their teams at 17 are quite rarer in rounds 3+.

By the way, does anyone know if Galiev will be swapped to center for next season?

Old
06-11-2010, 11:42 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLPacman67 View Post
Maybe, but when drafting late 1st, I'd rather go for boom-or-bust guys than role players. You can find guys that bring a bottom 6 skillset a lot later in the draft, guys with big time skillsets that are still key players for their teams at 17 are quite rarer in rounds 3+.

By the way, does anyone know if Galiev will be swapped to center for next season?
I'd prefer to go a safer route...a guy who has offensive ability who could make some noise at some point, but if his offense don't translate well, he's still going to be a good bottom line player. I fell there's plenty of players like that around our spot.

Old
06-11-2010, 11:46 AM
Rogie21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikelechien View Post
BU and Cisse have agreed that Cisse will not be joining BU until 2011 as Cisse will be spending at least part of next season in rehab. Cisse recently met with Les Habitants and should be condidered a very, very strong draft choice if the Habs doctors think he will fully recover. He is a late 1st to early 2nd draft choice without the injury - with the injury, he may last till 4th but don't count on it as several teams are very, very interested in this guy - a personal favourite of mine because he is a power forward who likes to score goals and does - shooting, going around people, going through people, tipping in while screening the goalie, down on one knee a la Camel Larry, hard on the boards; a difficult guy to play against. It all comes down to the doctors report.
In fact, Cisse was recently cleared to resume skating and it's looking increasingly likely he'll be at BU in September. BU will soon announce its 2010 recruit class (which also include Charlie Coyle, Matt Nieto and Sahir Gill, plus Adam Clendening). Whatever perceived weaknesses there are in his game, at BU, he'll be playing in a system that insists on tough, finish-your-checks, two-way hockey, and he'll be working with Mike Boyle, recognized as the best strength and conditioning coach in amateur hockey.

Old
06-11-2010, 12:55 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
I'd prefer to go a safer route...a guy who has offensive ability who could make some noise at some point, but if his offense don't translate well, he's still going to be a good bottom line player. I fell there's plenty of players like that around our spot.
I don't really think Galiev is really too risky. Production wasn't great, but he was 4th in points on a stacked team.

Guys with great hockey sense and vision rarely have problems translating their game to the NHL. How productive could he be? Don't know. There's a lot of guys I'd rather see drafted, but I'd much rather pick Galiev over, say, Nelson. Yeah, he's got size, he's got an offensive game and whatnot, but he played high school hockey. It's a much bigger risk.

Last edited by Em Ancien: 06-11-2010 at 01:03 PM.
Old
06-11-2010, 01:54 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...rospects_N.htm

Redline's top 10 defensemen of the draft. Justin Faulk is 5th, McIlrath is 6th.

Old
06-11-2010, 01:56 PM
le_sean

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...rospects_N.htm

Redline's top 10 defensemen of the draft. Justin Faulk is 5th, McIlrath is 6th.
And to make a note, this is just their personal rankings as to how they think these players will develop and not where they believe they will be drafted.

Old
06-11-2010, 02:47 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
And to make a note, this is just their personal rankings as to how they think these players will develop and not where they believe they will be drafted.
Interesting to see Faulk projected as a first round pick though. We may have to consider him with our first pick. I'm still working on my list, but this guy is interesting.

Old
06-11-2010, 04:54 PM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
A little timeout before we go back to serious business.....If you had to choose a good open-ice hitter in the mid to late rounds....who would you go for?

Radko Gudas

How about that fight with Beach.....how polite are those guys anyway....

Or Tyler Stahl

Old
06-11-2010, 05:57 PM
JeromeHP
HFBoards Sponsor

gotta love the way Stahl can hit but can he play the game too ? i have no idea where he's ranked ? only 6assist this year

Gudas look like the better hockey player but doesn't have the ideal size to play that way in the nhl. plus he's 2 years older than Stahl (Gudas is a 90)

Old
06-11-2010, 09:22 PM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markov79fan View Post
gotta love the way Stahl can hit but can he play the game too ? i have no idea where he's ranked ? only 6assist this year

Gudas look like the better hockey player but doesn't have the ideal size to play that way in the nhl. plus he's 2 years older than Stahl (Gudas is a 90)
Honestly, I have no idea. Those players are usually just better suited for that level and after that, they're done. It's like Labrie.

So honestly, I have no idea about their "other"skills. Gudas to me looks like another Bouillon though. You wonder if he'd be well taken care of, what he could be doing. He doesn't seem to be afraid of nobody.

Old
06-12-2010, 08:55 AM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

For whoever wants to see Beau Bennett....#78 Whites.

Old
06-12-2010, 09:33 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
From what I understand, Beau Bennett is packed and overflowing with offensive potential, flair, talent, but tends to play the cruise control mode in the game. When he had the puck I was like holy ****, but when he didn't I didn't notice him, maybe he wasn't on the ice.

Old
06-12-2010, 02:34 PM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
Stahl looks to be the better hitter and fighter. Right handed d too.

Old
06-12-2010, 03:39 PM
le_sean

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarfangor View Post
From what I understand, Beau Bennett is packed and overflowing with offensive potential, flair, talent, but tends to play the cruise control mode in the game. When he had the puck I was like holy ****, but when he didn't I didn't notice him, maybe he wasn't on the ice.
I'm also concerned by the fact that 25 of his 41 goals were on the PP.

Is he just leeching off of mediocre BCHL goalies with a man down?

I think scouts need to watch players even strength and how they play in traffic to gain a good understanding of potential. I have not seen Beau play live so I can't make a strong judgment.

Old
06-12-2010, 05:10 PM
parachutist

How would guys compare Jerome Gauthier-Leduc to guys like Roussel, Mathieu Carle and David Savard at the same age? In terms of denfensive/offensive skill and potential...

Old
06-12-2010, 08:26 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
I'm also concerned by the fact that 25 of his 41 goals were on the PP.

Is he just leeching off of mediocre BCHL goalies with a man down?

I think scouts need to watch players even strength and how they play in traffic to gain a good understanding of potential. I have not seen Beau play live so I can't make a strong judgment.
That's what the critics said about Mike Cammelleri when we signed him. They said all his goals were scored on the PP and/or at home.

Old
06-13-2010, 02:43 AM
Darz

thread closed due to number of posts. Please post in thread IV