HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If YOU were the GM....

Old
06-05-2010, 01:10 AM
Laus723
Future Now

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jol View Post
Am I getting this dejavu sensation, Dudley all over again?

JOL
No, there's no pillar guys (both tall AND immobile) on the Hawks. Good mixture of guys.

06-05-2010, 01:32 AM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightmare View Post
Why would we get rid of nasty?
Yeah, that's strange. Nasty showed a lot of heart... something we need more of, not cut out. Not a great fighter but the willing is great in my book. This guy picked a fight with Orr after a clean hit on Kreps... I mean it was only Kreps. LOL

If you're going out and getting a Thornton (I know he just re-signed with Boston) or a Rypien, or something like that then sure, let Nasty go. But we need someone like him on this team. Especially if we aren't keeping Mac around.

-ghoste

Last edited by Ghoste: 06-05-2010 at 01:38 AM.
Ghoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 03:30 AM
Erick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoste View Post
Yeah, that's strange. Nasty showed a lot of heart... something we need more of, not cut out. Not a great fighter but the willing is great in my book. This guy picked a fight with Orr after a clean hit on Kreps... I mean it was only Kreps. LOL

If you're going out and getting a Thornton (I know he just re-signed with Boston) or a Rypien, or something like that then sure, let Nasty go. But we need someone like him on this team. Especially if we aren't keeping Mac around.

-ghoste
Duco is a smaller version of Tarnasky, I guess.

Erick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 03:35 AM
Erick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Dunno, I really don't like that we're not looking at bringing him back. He does everything you want from a 4th liner and we're going to bring Soupy back instead?? I mean, I know Soup is good on the PK, but I think Nasty's better than him at most things. And this is coming from a guy who wasn't happy we traded for him. He really won me over, and I think it's dumb to get rid of him.
I would have to disagree with that, really. I like Tarnasky...or at least toward the end I did (he was useless up until the point he decided he wanted to bring energy and fight everybody), but I think Tarnasky is easily replaceable. Perhaps they want to make room for a young guy like McArdle or Duco with Tarnasky's spot. Both of those guys are physical, and in Duco's case he plays the same agitator role that Tarnasky plays, only Duco is smaller of course. Tarnasky isn't really an enforcer, so we didn't lose one of those (not that it matters, since DeBoer pretty much hates enforcers, anyway).

Old
06-05-2010, 12:41 PM
Dread Clawz
Auston Matthews USA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great8Cam View Post
That's good because just what you all have been waiting for - Stumpy is in town. He's at Incredible Ice.

DT won't sign expensive free agents because he doesn't have to with Jozef being available and looking like he's in shape.
Are you sure about this? Are you sure he's not just skating at II like a lot of former Panthers do? I mean, Seidenberg was here just a few weeks ago, and he re-signed with Boston. Doesn't necessarily mean anything on it's own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightmare View Post
Why would we get rid of nasty?
I don't have a problem with it really. I liked how he played at the end of the season, but he's not a heavyweight. I'd rather get a guy who can play a little bit and can fare OK against the heavies. Jody Shelley would be ideal. Plus Nasty might have just been playing like that because his contract was up.

Dread Clawz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 07:45 PM
artilector

Caps fan here.

Divisional trade talk is a no-no, but what the hell.

Suppose the Caps have Semin, Fleischmann, and to a less extent, Varlamov/Neuvirth, Alzner available.

Panthers of interest could be Weiss, Horton, Ballard, maybe Vokoun. I'm not sure if Weiss/Ballard are considered untradeable, I assume Horton is.

Is there something we could "work out"? Basically the Caps are looking for 2C, good top-4 D. Semin is the major chip, and one of the goalies could probably be spared.

Semin, Alzner, Varlamov/Neuvirth for Weiss, Ballard, Vokoun? Caps can add..

Just spitballing, don't take offense.

Last edited by artilector: 06-06-2010 at 01:00 AM.
artilector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 03:34 AM
flapanthersfan

if it's varlamov, the value isnt bad. but with markstrom in the organization, we dont need the high-upside goalie and i don't think you'll find too many panthers fans willing to deal weiss or ballard. we only have a handful of guys on this team that play with heart, and trading two of them wont help solve that problem.

i'd keep it simple. vokoun and a pick for semin. if you want to make the deal bigger: olesz, reinprecht, stillman, mccabe, allen, dvorak are the guys you could probably get your hands on. horton too, but i'd be less inclined to deal him personally.

flapanthersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 01:28 PM
artilector

I understand that you'd be reluctant to deal Weiss/Ballard.. but what are your major needs, anyway?

Your other players are not individually bad, but the Caps have enough similar players. You have Olecz, we have Fleischmann, etc. At some point maybe a change of scenery move, but that's not very exciting.

How about Semin and Fleischmann for Horton + prospect/pick?

artilector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 01:46 PM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

Quote:
Originally Posted by artilector View Post
I understand that you'd be reluctant to deal Weiss/Ballard..
I personally wouldn't be against trading Ballard, depending on the deal of course. I don't think you can label him as untouchable.

-ghoste

Ghoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 02:44 PM
Great8Cam

[QUOTE=Markstrom Rules;26146864]Are you sure about this? Are you sure he's not just skating at II like a lot of former Panthers do? I mean, Seidenberg was here just a few weeks ago, and he re-signed with Boston. Doesn't necessarily mean anything on it's own.

I wanted to see what you guys would say. If you look at what I said it wasn't that he will be signed, or that he was skating at Incredible. He was actually there with his son who had just taken a private lesson (the son not Stumpy).

Great8Cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 03:27 PM
flapanthersfan

Quote:
I understand that you'd be reluctant to deal Weiss/Ballard.. but what are your major needs, anyway?

Your other players are not individually bad, but the Caps have enough similar players. You have Olecz, we have Fleischmann, etc. At some point maybe a change of scenery move, but that's not very exciting.

again, depending on the prospect, it's not bad, but the fact that Semin is a UFA after this season would likely lead me to keep Horton and his long-term deal around.

Semin and Fleishmann for Vokoun Allen and a second would be my counter offer. Caps could use Allen's physical presence, shot blocking, etc. They could turn around and flip Varlamov for a scoring forward if they plan to keep Vokoun around (he'd re-sign there, for sure. Good chance to win in WSH)

Old
06-06-2010, 03:30 PM
flapanthersfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoste View Post
I personally wouldn't be against trading Ballard, depending on the deal of course. I don't think you can label him as untouchable.

-ghoste
i wasnt really labeling him as untouchable. no one's untouchable, aside from maybe kulikov and markstrom. but he'd be tough to get imo.

Old
06-06-2010, 03:54 PM
flapanthersfan

here's what I do this offseason If I were tallon:

Trade Vokoun, Reinprecht (or Allen) and a second in this years draft to Ottawa for Spezza. I exlude Leclaire in this deal purposely, adding the second to hopefully persuade Ottawa to swallow the contract.

Trade Stillman for prospects/picks

Trade Allen for prospects/picks.

Trade Radek Dvorak for prospects/picks ( )

Draft Brett Connolly

Trade some of the assets acquired in this deals (along with what we already have) to the Hawks for Byfuglien/Versteeg

Sign Zybenek Michalek 5 years, 22 million.

Sign Dan Hamhuis 5 years, $22 million.

Sign Antero Niittymaki: 1 year, $2million

If my guesstimate math is correct, this would put us at about $54 million.

Connolly-Spezza-Versteeg
Booth-Weiss-Horton
Byfuglien-Matthias-Frolik
Bitz-Campbell-McArdle

Michalek-McCabe
Hamhuis-Kulikov
Ballard-Garrison

Niittymaki
Clemmensen

Connolly on the top line with Spezza to give him confidence (assuming he is ready for the NHL). Kulikov on the second pairing over Ballard as I don't like the two kids together on the same pairing (Garrison, Kulikov). This team would be a playoff team next year, IMO, and would be a legit contender when Markstrom establishes himself. Three actual scoring lines, a good mix of defensman. goaltending is iffy, but should be good enough.

Old
06-06-2010, 04:02 PM
flapanthersfan

seems as though i omitted olesz. maybe i should work on this a little bit...

Old
06-06-2010, 04:49 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by flapanthersfan View Post
here's what I do this offseason If I were tallon:

Trade Vokoun, Reinprecht (or Allen) and a second in this years draft to Ottawa for Spezza. I exlude Leclaire in this deal purposely, adding the second to hopefully persuade Ottawa to swallow the contract.

Trade Stillman for prospects/picks

Trade Allen for prospects/picks.

Trade Radek Dvorak for prospects/picks ( )

Draft Brett Connolly

Trade some of the assets acquired in this deals (along with what we already have) to the Hawks for Byfuglien/Versteeg

Sign Zybenek Michalek 5 years, 22 million.

Sign Dan Hamhuis 5 years, $22 million.

Sign Antero Niittymaki: 1 year, $2million

If my guesstimate math is correct, this would put us at about $54 million.

Connolly-Spezza-Versteeg
Booth-Weiss-Horton
Byfuglien-Matthias-Frolik
Bitz-Campbell-McArdle

Michalek-McCabe
Hamhuis-Kulikov
Ballard-Garrison

Niittymaki
Clemmensen

Connolly on the top line with Spezza to give him confidence (assuming he is ready for the NHL). Kulikov on the second pairing over Ballard as I don't like the two kids together on the same pairing (Garrison, Kulikov). This team would be a playoff team next year, IMO, and would be a legit contender when Markstrom establishes himself. Three actual scoring lines, a good mix of defensman. goaltending is iffy, but should be good enough.
That package wont get you Spezza, and nor do I want him here. And I think Tallon would feel the same way. He wants character on this team, and Spezza is someone who just doesnt exert that IMO.

Hamhuis and Michalek I like, but one, probably both, will get $5 million per. I actually think that Tallon goes after one of them in the offseason.

Versteeg and Byfuglien would cost us a lot, probably Vokoun, which I dont think will happen now because of the way Niemi has played.

The trades I can live with, aside from Allen. I like Allen a lot, and he displays that character that this team needs more of. He is a team first player, and he is our most physical player on the ice. I think he will have a much better season this year, since thats how it normally goes after a player has major surgery.

Im all for drafting Connolly as well. Or Johansen. Or Skinner. Or Nino. Or Gudbranson. Ugh, I wish we had more picks in the top 10

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 02:01 AM
Erick*

Quote:

That's actually the problem with your deal. Nothing else really, in terms of value, imo. But we're thin at center as it is, and Weiss is our #1 center. He's probably our future captain, as well, all things considered. Considering we're not getting a true center back in your deal, I'd never see that happening.

Old
06-07-2010, 10:13 AM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
That's actually the problem with your deal. Nothing else really, in terms of value, imo. But we're thin at center as it is, and Weiss is our #1 center. He's probably our future captain, as well, all things considered. Considering we're not getting a true center back in your deal, I'd never see that happening.
The only guys on Washington we'd really want are the guys they wouldn't give up anyway.

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 02:57 PM
Pantherfan12

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
That package wont get you Spezza, and nor do I want him here. And I think Tallon would feel the same way. He wants character on this team, and Spezza is someone who just doesnt exert that IMO.

Hamhuis and Michalek I like, but one, probably both, will get $5 million per. I actually think that Tallon goes after one of them in the offseason.

Versteeg and Byfuglien would cost us a lot, probably Vokoun, which I dont think will happen now because of the way Niemi has played.

The trades I can live with, aside from Allen. I like Allen a lot, and he displays that character that this team needs more of. He is a team first player, and he is our most physical player on the ice. I think he will have a much better season this year, since thats how it normally goes after a player has major surgery.

Im all for drafting Connolly as well. Or Johansen. Or Skinner. Or Nino. Or Gudbranson. Ugh, I wish we had more picks in the top 10

Do you think Frolik would do well at center? On the roster as well as NHL10(I know) he is listed as center, and I def. don't want to see him on the 3rd line. I wouldn't mind Spezza, but if he is indeed the opposite of a character player like you say( I don't know much about him other than he's a supurb hockey player) then I wouldn't want him either. Maybe somehow we're able to snag Thorton from San Jose, doubtful but I'd rather him then Spezza.

How about:

Booth-Weiss-Horton
Connolly-Frolik-Versteeg
Byfuglien-Matthias-Mcardle
Bitz-Campbell-MacIntyre

Pantherfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 03:05 PM
Boooooth10

^^^ Versteeg can play center.

Boooooth10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 03:29 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherfan12 View Post
Do you think Frolik would do well at center? On the roster as well as NHL10(I know) he is listed as center, and I def. don't want to see him on the 3rd line. I wouldn't mind Spezza, but if he is indeed the opposite of a character player like you say( I don't know much about him other than he's a supurb hockey player) then I wouldn't want him either. Maybe somehow we're able to snag Thorton from San Jose, doubtful but I'd rather him then Spezza.

How about:

Booth-Weiss-Horton
Connolly-Frolik-Versteeg
Byfuglien-Matthias-Mcardle
Bitz-Campbell-MacIntyre
I'd put Byf with Nate and Weiss.

We don't want Thorton. At all. PlayoffMarleau >>>PlayoffThorton

Thorton's forever show of physical effort makes Frolik look like Callahan.
Rather Spezza than Thorton because at least with Spezza, we wouldn't wrongfully count on him playing as a big forward situation.

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 04:29 PM
RCGP
Go Panthers

I think Connolly would probably spend another year in the WHL, especially coming off the injury plagued season.

RCGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 07:53 AM
SufferingCatFan

Strange days indeed. Tallon built the Blackhawks, who are now entering salary cap hell. Due to the impact of the bonuses that count against next year's cap, the Hawks are esentially already at next year's cap with only 14 players under contract. This presents a real opportunity for bargain hunting.

We are currently at about $46 million (i.e. 12 million under the cap). If we cut Olesz, or cap number falls to about $44 million. We have no major players to resign. We also have more than $14 million in contracts coming off the books at the end of the 2010-11 season. In other words, we are in a position to take on salary.

Thanks in part to Randy Sexton, we also have picks to trade to the Hawks, who are not really in a postion to take back much in the way of salary.

IMO we should be looking at young players, such as Bolland, Ladd, Buf, Hjalmarrson (RFA) and Skill(RFA).

SufferingCatFan is offline   Reply With Quote