HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Screw Patrick Sharp, I want Ryan Malone

Old
06-13-2010, 10:34 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Screw Patrick Sharp, I want Ryan Malone

Say what you want about the elite speed of our team, it was obvious in the postseason that we needed more size, up front and on defense.

We simply couldn't match the Sharks physically, not that many teams could.

According to a post on here, Bob MacKenzie of TSN has said that Ryan Malone will be available for the right price. This is very intriguing for me, because I think he would be a great fit for our young team. According to this post, Sharp is not on the market, while guys like Versteeg, Campbell and Huet ARE.

Malone's just over 30 years old, only 2 years older than Patrick Sharp (who would also be a good fit).

His contract could be a concern for most teams, but not for us who have the most space available of anyone (i think). Malone is set to make 6 million dollars next season, but that number goes down for the next three seasons, which would fit perfectly for us because we need to sign our young guns to extensions.

He provides, size, grit, experience and solid point totals. He had 47 points in 69 games this past season, and is a safe bet for 20 goals per season. Sharp is less expensive, and provides more offense, but isn't physical and will be more expensive to resign in two years.

So, what would it take to get Malone? With Yzerman taking over TB, I don't think he's going to rebuild bc they have stars in Lecavalier, St. Louis and wonder boy Stamkos.

They do lack in goal, but we don't have a top prospect to even offer them there.

So what could we offer to get a deal done? Liles or Cumiskey could probably be a starting point, along with a good prospect or good pick.

Last edited by R S: 06-13-2010 at 11:05 AM.
R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 11:34 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 50
I would say Sharp has a better shot, but Malone definitely brings the size we need infront of the net and the corners.

I'm very sure Tampa will draft a forward in the draft, so defense it is. I would say,

Malone

for

Liles (Cumiskey if TB rebuilding)
3rd round

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 11:35 AM
NWAvsFan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Say what you want about the elite speed of our team, it was obvious in the postseason that we needed more size, up front and on defense.

We simply couldn't match the Sharks physically, not that many teams could.

According to a post on here, Bob MacKenzie of TSN has said that Ryan Malone will be available for the right price. This is very intriguing for me, because I think he would be a great fit for our young team. According to this post, Sharp is not on the market, while guys like Versteeg, Campbell and Huet ARE.

Malone's just over 30 years old, only 2 years older than Patrick Sharp (who would also be a good fit).

His contract could be a concern for most teams, but not for us who have the most space available of anyone (i think). Malone is set to make 6 million dollars next season, but that number goes down for the next three seasons, which would fit perfectly for us because we need to sign our young guns to extensions.

He provides, size, grit, experience and solid point totals. He had 47 points in 69 games this past season, and is a safe bet for 20 goals per season. Sharp is less expensive, and provides more offense, but isn't physical and will be more expensive to resign in two years.

So, what would it take to get Malone? With Yzerman taking over TB, I don't think he's going to rebuild bc they have stars in Lecavalier, St. Louis and wonder boy Stamkos.

They do lack in goal, but we don't have a top prospect to even offer them there.

So what could we offer to get a deal done? Liles or Cumiskey could probably be a starting point, along with a good prospect or good pick.
I am not a big fan. I thought he was overvalued when he was signed and still think that. If he filled more of a need it would be OK but I think we are OK from a forward perspective. I wouldn't mind bailing someone out of a bad defensive contract because it fills a need. With Malone or a trade for Sharp I just don't see it helping the team that much.

NWAvsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 11:48 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWAvsFan View Post
I am not a big fan. I thought he was overvalued when he was signed and still think that. If he filled more of a need it would be OK but I think we are OK from a forward perspective. I wouldn't mind bailing someone out of a bad defensive contract because it fills a need. With Malone or a trade for Sharp I just don't see it helping the team that much.
He might be overpayed, but I don't think he's overvalued. Remember how good he was at the Olympics.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 11:48 AM
Starrlinx

Malone is a solid player but solid enough for a 4.5 cap hit for the next FIVE years? I don't think so.

Heh, and people complain about Hannan being overpaid for one more season.

Starrlinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 12:16 PM
NWAvsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph VII View Post
He might be overpayed, but I don't think he's overvalued. Remember how good he was at the Olympics.
The guy is essentially a .6PPG player with good grit and character who has a $4.5M cap hit. That isn't the most ridiculous thing I have heard of but given that he really doesn't fill a need for us (are we lacking character guys who can score some?) I just don't see the trade. It is an overpayment by a fair amount and if we are going to do that let's address our real area of weakness: defense.

NWAvsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 12:44 PM
chewey
dmitri

vCash: 136
I wonder how the Avs might have done in the series vs. the sharks had they not had injuries to Duke and Mueller. I am not saying we would have won but all of the

- 'we need a defensive dman' (tho this is true generally)
- 'we need size'
- 'we need leadership/vet experience'

etc. etc. etc. is getting annoying. Its one series in the playoffs against a team that had something to prove. Even if we added size, or defensive dman we are still years away from being a legit contender.

We are rebuidling and I'd rather not take his salary no matter how much our cap allows us to. I'd also not want Sharp either regardless of how many goals he can score. Scoring isn't a problem. Defense on the other hand, I have no quarrel about seeking since we need that going into next season and the future.

chewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 12:56 PM
quesosauce

ive always been a fan of malone, liles seems a good trade bait for him, i say go for it, it could give us 2 solid power forwards with stewie and malone to go alone with our snipers (duchene, hejduk, mueller)

quesosauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 01:05 PM
Pure

vCash: 665
no freaken way. you would have to pay me to take on that 4.5 mill cap hit for five years.

Pure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 01:06 PM
DRL
Streak killers!

Send a message via MSN to DRL Send a message via Yahoo to DRL
id only trade for malone if liles was going the other way.

DRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 01:07 PM
shadow1

vCash: 1210
Good player, but the Bolts aren't going to trade a quality power forward like Malone for Liles.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 01:08 PM
Pure

vCash: 665
All of our resources should be devoted to getting a quality two-way defender. If we're going to overpay for anyone it should be a Paul Martin type player.

Pure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 01:21 PM
detrude
(╯□)╯ ︵ ┻━┻

This new obsession with "we must add size!!!1!!111" is getting ridiculous. Can't we just admit our young, inexperienced, and injured team was a little over-matched by a team that was better top to bottom? Adding size, or grit, or whatever happens to be the flavor of the week wouldn't have changed the outcome of the series.

detrude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 01:23 PM
chewey
dmitri

vCash: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by detrude View Post
This new obsession with "we must add size!!!1!!111" is getting ridiculous. Can't we just admit our young, inexperienced, and injured team was a little over-matched by a team that was better top to bottom? Adding size, or grit, or whatever happens to be the flavor of the week wouldn't have changed the outcome of the series.
KOVALCHUCK?!!!!!!!!!!11111ONEEEE!!

chewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 02:17 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
No thanks to Malone. But I will take Versteeg

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 02:43 PM
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan

vCash: 69
I don't think malone is really that overpaid.

A scoring winger who can grind it out?

I think he's probably only overpaid by 500K-1M. I'd take him.

Helton4Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 03:23 PM
Drij

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailbait View Post
I don't think malone is really that overpaid.

A scoring winger who can grind it out?

I think he's probably only overpaid by 500K-1M. I'd take him.
Liles is also overpaid by 500K-1M, yet people want him traded. Malone would just become another scapegoat for Avs fans.

Drij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 03:31 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drij View Post
Liles is also overpaid by 500K-1M, yet people want him traded. Malone would just become another scapegoat for Avs fans.
Not everyone want's Liles traded

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 03:36 PM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

I want more 1st & 2nd round picks. And I'm willing to eat a bad contract (on Stan's bill, of course) to get them.

Bubba Thudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 11:32 AM
robbyjr04

I think he is overpaid but I'd like to have him on my team.

Couple of quick questions: Does his dad take/keep a job in the organization? Does his prospect cousin (Brad) play a similar role already?

robbyjr04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 11:59 AM
electricjib

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbyjr04 View Post
I think he is overpaid but I'd like to have him on my team.

Couple of quick questions: Does his dad take/keep a job in the organization? Does his prospect cousin (Brad) play a similar role already?
I'm sure Jori has seen more of Brad.

But from what I've seen as a CC fan and hockey fan, he's a smart player, and a pretty good skater. He reminds me of yip in a way but with better passing and a quicker release on his shot. He has alot of jump in his step when he skates, which is a pretty common attribute of North Dakota players. He comes to play every night. He hasn't put up the most points in the NCAA but I could see him as a 20 goal scorer in the NHL. He's been buried behind the top 2 lines for the Sioux. His shot is accurate and stick handling is above average. From what I remember seeing he did seem to play with a bit of a physical edge. I don't remember seeing to much of his defensive game as North Dakota tends to play a pretty run and gun style of play. But he could make an effective 3rd liner possibly 2nd liner. He is smart and does go to the front of the net and can use his hands effectively there. Not saying he's a first liner, just what I noticed from him this year. He's one of my favorite college players though.

Mostly because of the effort he puts in night in, night out, he's fun to watch on the ice.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwTR4Jap9X8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKUGl...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODMYb...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uE9E9...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMEVy...eature=related

There are some more on youtube in game highlights just though I'd post what I could find.

electricjib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 03:52 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

While his caphit is $4.5M, his actual salary for these five years is on average $3.9M. Not that it makes a huge difference but might affect a team not at the cap anyway.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 04:27 PM
bohlmeister
$$ For Sale $$

vCash: 400
I have always liked Malone but he really doesn't fit the team mold and that contract is too long. In the last few years I think it may be an albatross. We do need another physical LW'er, but we need someone who can skate with our team.

What about Andrew Ladd? He will be available and could play on any of the top 3 lines.

bohlmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 04:37 PM
thedoctor
                    

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohlmeister View Post
I have always liked Malone but he really doesn't fit the team mold and that contract is too long. In the last few years I think it may be an albatross. We do need another physical LW'er, but we need someone who can skate with our team.

What about Andrew Ladd? He will be available and could play on any of the top 3 lines.
eh, I like Ladd, but he's not really the answer to what we need either. More 2nd/3rd tweeners without top end offensive talent does little for me. Especially since he will cost a fair amount in trade.

If we go that route I'd prefer Brunnstrom -- more offensive potential, waaay cheaper in trade.

thedoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 05:01 PM
bait

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoctor View Post
eh, I like Ladd, but he's not really the answer to what we need either. More 2nd/3rd tweeners without top end offensive talent does little for me. Especially since he will cost a fair amount in trade.

If we go that route I'd prefer Brunnstrom -- more offensive potential, waaay cheaper in trade.
But it's a little bit risky going for Brunnstrom since he didn't produced like he did last season and the foot injury may be a problem in the future.

I'd rather take a chance on Frolov, Ladd or Tanguay. But then it's next problem. Tanguay is slowly sinking to the bottom of the ice and haven't had a good season since his first in Calgary, and I'm guessing he want 2,5-3 per season. Frolov on the other hand is a good scorer, but he will probably be looking for a raise to around 3.5-4 per season in caphit.

bait is offline   Reply With Quote