HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

As per Bob McKenzie's segment on the Team 990

Old
06-13-2010, 11:52 AM
RE-HABS

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
I think it was Weiss and Ballard that teams were calling about but were not available.

I doubt many teams are interested in Booth right now, he's a concussion waiting to happen. His value will be too low.
Actually Booth is still getting a lot of play from other GM's, he is a great player but needs to be more aware on the ice now because of his past concussions. Bergeron has proved he can come back from such an injury, as did Savard and Connolly.

Booth has had some history, but the Richards hit was suspendable under the new rules and out of Booth's control.

If healthy he is a top tier forward.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 12:26 PM
Zeroknowledge*

I can't understand how people still still rather trade Halak than Price, but then again this is HF boards where the only thing that matters is when did the player get picked and not how he performed

Zeroknowledge* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 12:29 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroknowledge View Post
I can't understand how people still still rather trade Halak than Price, but then again this is HF boards where the only thing that matters is when did the player get picked and not how he performed

Umm no. Halak is good. So is Price. You trade whoever makes your overall team better. price is an adequate goalie that can become even better. If moving Halak makes the rest of your team solid, then you do it.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 12:32 PM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Malone is a lot more physical and gritty. Horton is an enigma.
Malone is also 5 years older and is a 50 pts players at best. Horton is more productive now than Malone was at the same age which indicate that his upside is higher. I just think he need to come into his own and a change of scenery would do him well. He's also a RH shot and can play center if needed.

Malone was called an enigma as well during his first years with Pittsburgh.

All things considered i take Horton. However it is obvious that TB makes better trading partners than Florida so we may have better chances at landing Malone. Florida already has Vokun and Markstrom in the system so they don't really need a goalie. We would have to give other assets while TB is pretty much a perfect fit as they are looking for a goalie and we are shopping one.

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 12:33 PM
PyrettaBlaze*

McKenzie isn't even on on Sundays... Can anyone else confirm what McKenzie said?

PyrettaBlaze* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 12:34 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze View Post
McKenzie isn't even on on Sundays... Can anyone else confirm what McKenzie said?
Nope, taking a poster's on the trade rumors board word for granted.

Old
06-13-2010, 01:00 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
Actually Booth is still getting a lot of play from other GM's, he is a great player but needs to be more aware on the ice now because of his past concussions. Bergeron has proved he can come back from such an injury, as did Savard and Connolly.

Booth has had some history, but the Richards hit was suspendable under the new rules and out of Booth's control.

If healthy he is a top tier forward
Did you already forget about how Spacek rocked Booth's world and ended his season? Booth is a big time injury risk.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 01:09 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
Did you already forget about how Spacek rocked Booth's world and ended his season? Booth is a big time injury risk.
and it wasn't even a big time hit, booth just ran into him face first like an idiot.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 01:11 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
I didn't hear anything from Bob McKenzie but this afternoon I was listening to NHL Home Ice on XM radio and one of their 20 minute updates mentioned that Tampa Bay is considering submitting an offer sheet for either Price or Halak. If that happens, are we ok with early round draft picks in 2011? Or do we want a return that helps the team now?

Signing Halak or Price to an offer sheet actually makes good sense for a team that is interested in one of them. The Habs are vulnerable because they don't have the cap space to match a high salary offer (although I would think TBay would have equal difficulty given Vinny's contract). I'm thinking it's best for both teams (TB and Habs) if a trade is negotiated. If TBay does sign one of our goalies to an offer sheet, my money's on it being Price. I just have a hunch that Yzerman would love to land Price as a major building block for that team. Could we work out a trade for Price that is relatively similar to what Boston got for Kessel?

Other teams I could see being interested in Price or Halak are Chicago, St Louis, Edmonton and Philly. It's going to be an interesting few weeks between now and the free agent frenzy.

EDIT: Add San Jose to list of teams who could be interested in one of our goalies.

Last edited by Schooner Guy: 06-13-2010 at 01:45 PM.
Old
06-13-2010, 01:14 PM
Bieber fever

Penner > Malone

Bieber fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 01:14 PM
NLHabsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
If Campbell the best goalie in the draft is gone before that pick, I would not be surprised to see a deal centred around Tampa trading that pick for a another 1st rounder, starting goalie and top 6 forward.

Tampa has their core, but they need goaltending now.
Campbell won't go in the top 5. Top 2 are certain Hall & Seguin. Florida at 3 has Markstrom, Columbus at 4 has Mason, and NYI has a lot of good young goalies in their system that they are high on (though none probably at the caliber at Campbell) so they won't waste a top 5 pick when they have so many other needs.

NLHabsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 01:16 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Komi View Post
Horton is interesting, although as a reputation of being lazy.
Horton has the not-inconsiderable advantage of having worked under Martin, so the Habs would have excellent scouting on him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Petrov View Post
By acquiring Malone, AKOST does become expendable.
How so? AKost is a top-six player and for his salary the Habs are unlikely to find as good or better. Malone or Horton would only complete the top-six of Cammy-Gomez-Gionta-AKost-Pleks-whoever. I certainly wouldn't feel confident slotting Pouliot in a top-six role if I were Gauthier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Petrov View Post
I think that Desharnais could get the job done with Malone and Cammy on his wings.
Sorry, but knowing the matchups Plekanec gets, not a chance. Even if he gets sheltered and Gomez does the Plekanec work, it's still very unlikely.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 01:19 PM
PyrettaBlaze*

Imagine both Halak and Price get ridiculously high offer sheets? That would suck...

PyrettaBlaze* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 01:22 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Imagine both Halak and Price get ridiculously high offer sheets? That would suck...
I'd be cool with it if they were atleast RIDICULOUSLY high offer sheets from teams like tampa and edmonton. They've still got atleast one more year of sucking pretty bad.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 01:25 PM
Fire Brunet*

what im afraid is if they trade halak
The non-fans price haters(the ones that boo) will be mad at him and boo him so much if he makes any mistakes

I hate this situation

Fire Brunet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 01:26 PM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I'd be cool with it if they were atleast RIDICULOUSLY high offer sheets from teams like tampa and edmonton. They've still got atleast one more year of sucking pretty bad.
Ya

Getting 2 or 3 1sts from a bottom feeding team would be cool. Actually , i think i'd prefer that to trading a goalie for a guy like Malone or Horton as it would be much more beneficial for the future and would let us rebuild our prospect pool with blue chippers without tanking.

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 01:35 PM
m00ks

**** Ryan Malone. If Horton is available, I'd go after him hard.

Goalie + prospect + pick. Getter done.

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 01:41 PM
Mother Pucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackattack View Post
I still think a Carey Price for Devin Setoguchi trade makes a ton of sense for both teams.
It makes way more sense to go for Setoguchi than Malone imo. 1) We trade Price out of the conference 2) Setoguchi's upside hasn't been reached yet, and he already scored 30 goals in his 2nd season, while Malone never breaked 30 goals (more of a 20-25 goal scorer) in more seasons.

Horton would also be good, his skill level his above Malone's, but FL don't need a goaltender, and also, they are in the East.

Mother Pucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 01:44 PM
BoNeS42

Quote:
If that happen I'm gonna laugh, then cry...

BoNeS42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 01:44 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ks View Post
**** Ryan Malone. If Horton is available, I'd go after him hard.

Goalie + prospect + pick. Getter done.
I'm thinking Florida will go one more year with Vokoun (he's a UFA next summer) and then their goalie of the future, Markstrom, will be worked into their program in 2011-12. Markstrom could very well even see some late action in the upcoming season if Florida is out of it. If they trade Horton, I'm guessing it will be to fill organizational needs other than goaltending.

Old
06-13-2010, 01:45 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosss View Post
what im afraid is if they trade halak
The non-fans price haters(the ones that boo) will be mad at him and boo him so much if he makes any mistakes

I hate this situation
And also if we trade Price and he succeeds elsewhere every time Halak struggles he'd get booed.

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 01:49 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pernell Karl View Post
And also if we trade Price and he succeeds elsewhere every time Halak struggles he'd get booed.
doubt that, the hate for price is deep. goalie drafter 5th overall + huet situation + gainey hate

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 01:52 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Komi View Post
All very good points. I actually think we can get more than Malone for Halak if we include a little something else.

To TB: Halak, Mtl 2010 1st + A. Kost
To Mtl: Malone + TB 2010 1st

I'm willing to add something else (Pacioretty or whatever) to make this happen.
I'd do it. Although would've been nice to dump hamrlik in there.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 02:10 PM
LaurentHabs
Wat.

Malone would fit just perfectly in Habs Lockeroom. I just have a feeling his character will blend in on ice and off ice extremly well with the Habs.

LaurentHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 02:13 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurentHabs View Post
Malone would fit just perfectly in Habs Lockeroom. I just have a feeling his character will blend in on ice and off ice extremly well with the Habs.
Yup. Malone to Montreal just feels right(salary aside). It's the type of deal I would expect this team to make.

But I have a feeling that if Halak would be the one to go the other ya would be because of the potential salary he might get.

It just fits IMO. He has all thre criteria, great character, good defensive game and most important he's american .