HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Canucks re-sign D Aaron Rome to 2-year deal ($750k per)

Old
06-13-2010, 11:41 AM
BleedCanucks

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF23 View Post
Apparently he played 7 games for the Moose this year?

When did that happen?

He scored 6 goals in those 7 games.
Got sent down on a conditioning stint after he had been sit for a bunch of games in a row.

BleedCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 11:41 AM
CCF23

Send a message via MSN to CCF23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
If you bothered to read the TSB thread you would've known (inside joke folks).

I don't follow the Moose as closely as I should sometimes.

CCF23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 11:51 AM
NCPokey

I hope they can get something done, as others have said, he was a great bottom-pairing defenseman. Hopefully they can sign a couple of bargain players like Rome so they can spend more of their available cap space on an impact player.

NCPokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 12:01 PM
Alexistheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
People often talk about SOB and his need to grow up and mature.

The guy will be 27 years old on 9 August and he is going into his 8th pro season. He is not a kid although he seems to act like one sometimes.
Age is just a number, he has to get IT. Though I think he's a lost cause at this point, its too bad I really liked him.

Alexistheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 12:37 PM
Crows*

Hopefully this spells the end for Shane obrien in Vancouver. Rome was incredibly solid last year. It's hard to think of any times you watched a game and had a Facepalm moment with Rome. He rarely made any mistakes. Unlike primadonna Shane, he knows his role on the team and plays it very solid

Give the guy a 2 year deal . You're not only grtting a better d man over obrien, you're saving money to go sign hamhuis.

Crows* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 12:48 PM
Ernie

I'd actually look to lock up Rome for 3 years. At worst he's 7th or 8th defenseman, at best he 5th or 6th. But the team needs stability.

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 12:56 PM
Placebo Effect

I'd be fine with Rome for 3 years, he might be willing to take a little less for a longer term (3 years at 750k per?). He gives us a solid 5-6-7 D-man until our prospects are hopefully ready to step in. We don't know when/if each of them will be ready so the longer have Rome around the better. I'm hoping Oberg can make big strides this coming year and make the jump for 2011-12. Connauton, Sauve and Andersson in 2011-12 would be ideal but 2012-13 is extremely possible as well. Really hard to try and estimate when they will/could be ready.

Placebo Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 03:21 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
I'd like Rome to be back; he was a pretty cheap and effective option for us during all that stretch of all those injuries we had.
IMO he could be a regular No. 6 guy.

Btw, you don't post on CDC anymore then, Wetcoaster?

vanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 04:47 PM
Anonymous User

I like Rome and think he is a good replacement for O'Brien. I like his physical play and his passes are usually crisp. There was a handful of games where AV gave Rome more ice time than O'Brien, so if he is given the no.6 defender role, we could see O'Brien getting shipped out of town.

I would have no problem with that as his new cap hit will be about 2 million which is too much for a bottom pairing d-man and this team has been lucky that his off and on ice incidents hasn't effected the team. It may not be the case if he does it the third time, and with the rumours of him gaining weight already in the offseason, its best to move him.

Anonymous User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 06:45 PM
Kagee*

He'll be a solid #8 guy - a 2 year 1.4 million dollar contract should suffice.

Kagee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 06:55 PM
anguscertified
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
I'd actually look to lock up Rome for 3 years. At worst he's 7th or 8th defenseman, at best he 5th or 6th. But the team needs stability.
Could give him a similar sort of deal as Burrows received back in 2006. Guarantee of one way, some security as well. The risk is that he declines, but based on what we saw with his progression last year, I think it would be a low risk, high reward kind of move. Could probably get him for something between 800k-1 mill per season too.

anguscertified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 06:55 PM
The Big Foot

I'm with whoever brought up the stability point - having our 6-7-8 guys entrenched in our system has got to be a good idea, instead of this endless rotation of one-and-out guys (Miller, Fitzpatrick, Davison, etal)
Rome did well and showed he's dependable in a 13-18 minute a night role.

The Big Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 06:57 PM
alternate

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoHo777 View Post
He'll be a solid #8 guy - a 2 year 1.4 million dollar contract should suffice.
he'll be a top 6 guy and do a solid job for us. probably be a bit more than .7m per, more like 800-850k.

alternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 07:06 PM
alternate

Quote:
Originally Posted by banana phone View Post
Could give him a similar sort of deal as Burrows received back in 2006. Guarantee of one way, some security as well. The risk is that he declines, but based on what we saw with his progression last year, I think it would be a low risk, high reward kind of move. Could probably get him for something between 800k-1 mill per season too.
and iirc Gillis signed Rome early in the UFA season last year, which was a bit of a surprise. but that means Gillis targeted Rome, not that he was just cheap and available. nothing in Rome's play this season would make Gillis second guess their previous scouting, so there's no reason not to lock him up early for 2-3 years.

Rome also played some forward last season, albeit due to injury more than anything else. but he did all right that game, in a "third dman" type role. if he (or Alberts for that matter) can be as effective as Hordichuk as a 4th line winger, it would allow Gillis/AV to carry a 22 man roster to save cap space for the deadline.

alternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 10:23 PM
David Booth Fan

Send a message via MSN to David Booth Fan
He sucks get rid of him. Gone with Bieksa please.

David Booth Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 01:41 AM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by alternate View Post
and iirc Gillis signed Rome early in the UFA season last year, which was a bit of a surprise. but that means Gillis targeted Rome, not that he was just cheap and available. nothing in Rome's play this season would make Gillis second guess their previous scouting, so there's no reason not to lock him up early for 2-3 years.

Rome also played some forward last season, albeit due to injury more than anything else. but he did all right that game, in a "third dman" type role. if he (or Alberts for that matter) can be as effective as Hordichuk as a 4th line winger, it would allow Gillis/AV to carry a 22 man roster to save cap space for the deadline.
I like the way you think; that actually says something about Gillis' approach about signing Rome last year, and that he wasn't just some cheap low-end option that just happened to be a UFA.

vanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 03:29 PM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

vCash: 796
Rome instead of SOB probably makes sense for the team - saves $1M of cap space for use to sign a top 4, and SOB could fetch a decent pick. Alternatively, one could argue that 3 Romes = 1 SOB so you have 3 6's instead of 1 6 for the same money.

By the way, Rome struggled early in the year playing the right side as his improvement coincided with switching over to the left.

Outside99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 07:02 PM
Hammer79

There were times, especially early in the season, that I felt the amount of ice time he received wasn't warranted by his performance. Later on in the season, he became a bit more reliable and looked more like an NHL defenseman. I still think he has a lot of work to do though, but considering the amount of ice time we invested in him, I'd have to think that he's in future plans.

Hammer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 07:24 PM
cyrisweb

Mitchell wont be ready to come back till late novemeber, early december at the earliest. So Rome might be the perfect guy to hold the spot until Mitchell is healthy and in shape again.

cyrisweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 07:44 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer79 View Post
There were times, especially early in the season, that I felt the amount of ice time he received wasn't warranted by his performance. Later on in the season, he became a bit more reliable and looked more like an NHL defenseman. I still think he has a lot of work to do though, but considering the amount of ice time we invested in him, I'd have to think that he's in future plans.
Agreed. I thought he was playing his best hockey just before this hit, and played fairly well when he returned to the line up:

LostMyGlasses* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 08:21 PM
shortshorts
broken athlete

And bringing that up. I loved the hit. But does anyone think that'll be called with the new 'blindside hit' penalty/rule?

shortshorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 08:28 PM
PRNuck
Wow. What a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMyGlasses View Post
Agreed. I thought he was playing his best hockey just before this hit, and played fairly well when he returned to the line up:
Uggh, just what Gillis was talking about the other day, a lot of these injuries are coming from the helmets getting dislodged. Strap that sucker on Aaron!

PRNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 08:50 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer79 View Post
Rome had a great camp/pre-season. IMHO, he outplayed both SOB or Lukowich. For whatever reason, he didn't seem the same player once 'the season' started (at least for a while).

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 09:46 PM
Ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by quysauce View Post
And bringing that up. I loved the hit. But does anyone think that'll be called with the new 'blindside hit' penalty/rule?
nope, Pyatt hit him fair and square in the body, Rome went face first into the ice. Blindside rule is only for hits "where the head is targeted and/or the principal point of contact."

Now, it's hard to know how the referees will call it on the ice, but there's no way that Pyatt would receive supplementary discipline after video review.

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 10:28 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Rome had a great camp/pre-season. IMHO, he outplayed both SOB or Lukowich. For whatever reason, he didn't seem the same player once 'the season' started (at least for a while).
At the start of the season he wasn't playing at all. When he did, it was sporadic action. Once he got a few consecutive games in and got into a groove, he was solid from then on out.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote