HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Rumor Thread--Kings Rumor Mill IV

Closed Thread

Old
06-13-2010, 06:34 PM
SFKingshomer

vCash: 500
Hartnell would be a better option than Malone because of contract length.

Old
06-13-2010, 06:47 PM
johnjm22

Terry is the best coach this team has had since Larry Robinson.

The Kings' 5-on-5 scoring problems were mostly because of our 1st line center. The team certainly wasn't having any even strength scoring problems when the aforementioned center was playing with hunger and aggression earlier in the season.

The whole thing about Smyth elevating Kopitar's game is a total myth. For a short period Kopitar was one of the best players in the world, and Smyth was lucky enough to be along for the ride.

Old
06-13-2010, 07:29 PM
two out of three*

Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
Wait. Are you saying Modin is a slow skater?
Well, I'm saying both of them are. Malone is better than Modin, but I don't see the need to have two of almost the same thing on the roster.

Old
06-13-2010, 08:17 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

The Kings should not be looking to add players like Hartnell or Malone, certainly not at 4-5 million a year.

This team needs a first line sniper to play with Kopitar, not more 50 pt blue collar players.

Brown, Smyth, Simmonds, Stoll, Handzus all fit that mold, we need to add a top end talent

Old
06-13-2010, 08:21 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

We need a shooter, so lets jut go get Marky Mark. Tell him its research for a new movie.

Old
06-13-2010, 08:30 PM
Johnny Utah

As much as I like Malone, Kings don't need that type of guy, we need a pure goal scorer. We could get use some grit on the bottom 4, but Lombardi mentioned Clune, Clifford and Westgarth wbeing there.

Old
06-13-2010, 09:52 PM
BigKing
Spot Picker

Of course, my talk of Malone is not as an "instead of" Kovalchuk/Marleau.

Old
06-13-2010, 10:02 PM
Ollie Weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKing View Post
Hence the appeal.

Old
06-13-2010, 10:08 PM
Youngblood93

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKing View Post
It would be nice to sign Kovy/Marleau and trade for Malone if you can deal Smyth.

Old
06-13-2010, 10:38 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
I can't see Yzerman dealing Malone. That'd be foolish.

Old
06-13-2010, 11:12 PM
Ollie Weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
I can't see Yzerman dealing Malone. That'd be foolish.
Didn't he say something about building through the draft? If my memory is correct, then its possible he'd be available for the right price - presumably picks and prospects.

Old
06-13-2010, 11:16 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Actually, Malone would make more sense if we could unload Smyth. Otherwise, we'd have a LW with a salary of 4.5M or 6.25M playing on the 3rd line.

There were lot of talks of Poni earlier in the season and his stock seem to have fizzled some since his trade to the pens, but I think he'd be a solid 3rd line LW. He's an ufa and he would makes sense.

Old
06-14-2010, 12:47 AM
BigKing
Spot Picker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
Actually, Malone would make more sense if we could unload Smyth. Otherwise, we'd have a LW with a salary of 4.5M or 6.25M playing on the 3rd line.

There were lot of talks of Poni earlier in the season and his stock seem to have fizzled some since his trade to the pens, but I think he'd be a solid 3rd line LW. He's an ufa and he would makes sense.
DL would have to be able to find him. Even his agent hasn't been able to locate him since the playoffs started.

The salary issue is why I brought up Stoll going the other way. With Stoll's money gone, you are in essence only adding an extra $1mm over the two years that Stoll would have left. At the end of those two years, that 6.25 of Smyth's will be gone. Hopefully by then, you are paying Malone $4.5mm as your 2nd line LW behind Kovy/Marleau.

He probably makes too much money which is why I threw his name out to see if anyone would want him and, if so, how would you get creative in making the contract fit.

Old
06-14-2010, 01:41 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

eh... I'd look to trade for Malone NEXT year. Trade him for Smyth and a mid round pick. That way Stevie Y still gets a good player and someone to teach and toughen up his youngsters. He is saddle with a big hit but a very small salary (which TB ownership will love), and then Stevie can let him go or keep him around for less.

I definitely want Smyth around this coming year, but I don't think he necessarily has to be here after next year. I also don't like having both those guys on the team at the same time.

I also have never had any real interest in trading Stoll. I see him as Zus' long term replacement. I like him, and like I've said before, Stoll is the kinda guy who I think will score the overtime game winner in a game 7.

Old
06-14-2010, 01:46 AM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Not from Hockeybuzz, but a rumor nonetheless.

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/lak100613.html

Old
06-14-2010, 01:52 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
DIEHARD's quote from previous thread:

Since we are arguably 1 year behind the Blackhawks, and as players of the caliber of Kovy and Marlene don't come around everyday, isnt NOW the right time?

And if not NOW, WHEN?

To use more one-liners: Sooner or later you got to pay the piper.
And as the Fram Oil commericial guy says: you can pay (me) now or pay (me) later.

IMHO, the RIGHT TIME IS JULY 1, 2010. Pay for Kovy now, and make it work!

I'm tired of the old refrains about why it hasn't happened or it cant happen. Chicago paid big for players that got them over the hump. Philly didnt really go the route of builf through the draft, they bought a team, and look where it got them.

ITS TIME FOR ACTION NOT A SINGLE MORE EXCUSE

My response:

The Kings are arguably at least 2 years behind the Blackhawks.

I am not against adding a piece via the UFA market now if the cost is reasonable. However, until we know more about guys like Schenn, Loktionov, Hickey, and Bernier, we don't even know what the missing piece might be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
This x 7

When we make The conference finals or almost make it to the 3rd round...THEN it's time to add Hossa or the piece to push us over the top.

without sounding too much like a troll

The kings and Hawks are built differently and the kings got to address a few issues.

But any LAK fans that wants the team to go out and buy Kovey--they need to get a grip. Dean L is building the team properly and going out and tossing big money at a UFA is not a good thing.

The hawks are in cap hell for doing such thing and it will cost them some of their kids who they have to move because they are already over the cap with only 15 players signed. The kings have postioned themselves perfectly to keep their core and pick up players who teams may not want to move but have to for cap reasons and get them for next to nothing

Dean L is a genious

Old
06-14-2010, 02:01 AM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

^ Sadly, your probably right. He'll add a solid top 6 wing(basically replacing Froloaf's production) and a #4-#5 D-Man. He will rely on the upgrade in goal(JQ/JB >>>> JQ/Ersberg) and the slight improvement on the backend to carry this team.

Old
06-14-2010, 02:03 AM
redcard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
The hawks are in cap hell for doing such thing and it will cost them some of their kids who they have to move because they are already over the cap with only 15 players signed.
What Kids are they losing? Versteeg or Buff? Those are great young players but neither of them are as great as Hossa. Meaning that going out and signing him was absolutely the right choice, because otherwise they'd be trying to keep them and unloading him. They chose Hossa over some of their kids, and rightfully so as he's better than them.

Going after Kovy won't cost us Kopitar or Doughty any more than Hossa will cost the hawks Kane and Toews. These guys like Gaborik and Hossa still have market value and can be moved in a trade (for more than a decent return i might add). As long as we sign Kovy to a similar contract as the aforementioned two and not something over the top, we do it.

Old
06-14-2010, 02:11 AM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

Quote:
Originally Posted by KopitarFAN View Post
Not from Hockeybuzz, but a rumor nonetheless.

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/lak100613.html
I think DL will keep both of them for atleast next season.

Plus I looked up the article in the Camden post or whatever its called and this is the only sentence that mentioned the two, "So the question may not be whether the Flyers should trade Carter, but for whom? Do they deal him for a young goalie, like Jonathan Bernier, Jonathan Quick, Carey Price or Jaroslav Halak? Or, do they trade him for a much-needed, top-line right wing like Florida's Nathan Horton ($4 million cap hit for three years) or Anaheim's Bobby Ryan ($1.9 cap hit for one year)?"

I dont see where it says the kings are shopping one of them, all it does is mention them as young goalies. So I dont know what TFP is talking about.

Old
06-14-2010, 02:26 AM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
without sounding too much like a troll

The kings and Hawks are built differently and the kings got to address a few issues.

But any LAK fans that wants the team to go out and buy Kovey--they need to get a grip. Dean L is building the team properly and going out and tossing big money at a UFA is not a good thing.

The hawks are in cap hell for doing such thing and it will cost them some of their kids who they have to move because they are already over the cap with only 15 players signed. The kings have postioned themselves perfectly to keep their core and pick up players who teams may not want to move but have to for cap reasons and get them for next to nothing

Dean L is a genious
Let me get this straight: Chicago is in CAP HELL and will lose some of their kids while LA is built by a genius because they can keep their core and pick up players on the cheap or by poaching CAP HELL teams.

Please remind me which team just won the cup, which is, after all, why all 30 teams play this game, right?

I mean DL has won so much to this point. Maybe you missed the Fan 590 interview with DL last week where he said he accept the trade off of having Chicago's problems for the Cup they now have. SO WOULD I. File it under "one in the hand is worth two in the bush."

As for poaching players, I have yet to see it happen and the Kings wont have the bonus problem that Chicago will suffer from because no one but Doughty is likely this year or next to have that kind of bonus in their ELC.

Like I have said before CAP SPACE is USELESS, like MONEY, unless it is SPENT. While Kovy or Marleau wont guarantee a cup, they markedly improve our team and fill gaping holes that arent likely to be filled easily otherwise without giving up assests and changing chemistry.

If the choice is keeping players or winning a Cup, I think thats a no-brainer, but reading some posts here, one could begin to wonder.

Old
06-14-2010, 04:09 AM
4ndr3y*

Send a message via MSN to 4ndr3y*
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
Let me get this straight: Chicago is in CAP HELL and will lose some of their kids while LA is built by a genius because they can keep their core and pick up players on the cheap or by poaching CAP HELL teams.

Please remind me which team just won the cup, which is, after all, why all 30 teams play this game, right?

I mean DL has won so much to this point. Maybe you missed the Fan 590 interview with DL last week where he said he accept the trade off of having Chicago's problems for the Cup they now have. SO WOULD I. File it under "one in the hand is worth two in the bush."

As for poaching players, I have yet to see it happen and the Kings wont have the bonus problem that Chicago will suffer from because no one but Doughty is likely this year or next to have that kind of bonus in their ELC.

Like I have said before CAP SPACE is USELESS, like MONEY, unless it is SPENT. While Kovy or Marleau wont guarantee a cup, they markedly improve our team and fill gaping holes that aren't likely to be filled easily otherwise without giving up assets and changing chemistry.

If the choice is keeping players or winning a Cup, I think that's a no-brainer, but reading some posts here, one could begin to wonder.
I want to be signed under your post.
Sircely,
Loktionov

Old
06-14-2010, 04:23 AM
KingLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post

Like I have said before CAP SPACE is USELESS, like MONEY, unless it is SPENT. While Kovy or Marleau wont guarantee a cup, they markedly improve our team and fill gaping holes that arent likely to be filled easily otherwise without giving up assests and changing chemistry.

If the choice is keeping players or winning a Cup, I think thats a no-brainer, but reading some posts here, one could begin to wonder.
I knew this board had a lot of old people on it, but damn there is a lot of nearsighted people on here. First off nobody....NOBODY is saying Chicago screwed up up...I mean they won a cup. BUT what if Chicago had lost to Philly in the finals this year and after having to drop half their roster for next season didn't make it back ever again....would you say they were in Salary Cap "hell" then, and that they screwed up?. The point is while Chicago's method "worked" it is risky...really risky and if you blow your whole wad and don't win it can really backfire....where if you build a little slower you may have more chances at the cup.

Old
06-14-2010, 07:06 AM
nki

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLB View Post
I knew this board had a lot of old people on it, but damn there is a lot of nearsighted people on here. First off nobody....NOBODY is saying Chicago screwed up up...I mean they won a cup. BUT what if Chicago had lost to Philly in the finals this year and after having to drop half their roster for next season didn't make it back ever again....would you say they were in Salary Cap "hell" then, and that they screwed up?. The point is while Chicago's method "worked" it is risky...really risky and if you blow your whole wad and don't win it can really backfire....where if you build a little slower you may have more chances at the cup.
So IF Chicago didn't win the Cup (the other capped out team would BTW) and IF they have to drop half their roster and IF they never make it back ever? Did I get this right? You seriously think Chicago won't have other chances at the cup in the near future?

Old
06-14-2010, 07:26 AM
KingLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by nki View Post
So IF Chicago didn't win the Cup (the other capped out team would BTW) and IF they have to drop half their roster and IF they never make it back ever? Did I get this right? You seriously think Chicago won't have other chances at the cup in the near future?
A. Philly is at the cap but their trouble is no where near Chicago's....imo Philly isn't in the "trouble" Chicago is.

B. It isn't a IF they drop half their roster its a When they drop half their roster...its happening, and the Hawks might have to eat 5mil+ in the minors (Huet)....do you think AEG would do that??

C. Ask Tampa or Calgary or Carolina or New Jersey or Ottawa or Edmonton if they thought they would get back....You never know what is gonna happen with teams.....after the Ducks won the cup they look set for years then Lowe makes an offer, they get in cap trouble and have to trade ppl, and boom they are the 8 seed one year and don't make the playoffs the next.

D. So let me reiterate...to get to the cup your most likely going to have to spend the cap...but spending cap space for the sake of "using" it doesn't make sense especially if you are getting glutenous now only to starve in the future. The were not spending were not trying philosophy really doesn't hold a lot of water with me....it's just one of many ways to build a team.

Old
06-14-2010, 08:06 AM
nki

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLB View Post
A. Philly is at the cap but their trouble is no where near Chicago's....imo Philly isn't in the "trouble" Chicago is.

B. It isn't a IF they drop half their roster its a When they drop half their roster...its happening, and the Hawks might have to eat 5mil+ in the minors (Huet)....do you think AEG would do that??

C. Ask Tampa or Calgary or Carolina or New Jersey or Ottawa or Edmonton if they thought they would get back....You never know what is gonna happen with teams.....after the Ducks won the cup they look set for years then Lowe makes an offer, they get in cap trouble and have to trade ppl, and boom they are the 8 seed one year and don't make the playoffs the next.

D. So let me reiterate...to get to the cup your most likely going to have to spend the cap...but spending cap space for the sake of "using" it doesn't make sense especially if you are getting glutenous now only to starve in the future. The were not spending were not trying philosophy really doesn't hold a lot of water with me....it's just one of many ways to build a team.
A. Really now? Cause I could have sworn there were people here convinced Philly was in big trouble just a year ago.

B. Their core is locked up, it's arguably better than the Kings core and it might be even cheaper. They might lose an extra player this year that they otherwise would like to keep, although that in itself is not certain. Again, if you just won the Stanley Cup chances are you're going to be losing some depth players. There are countless ways and avenues to replace those players. Do I think AEG would put Huet in the minors? If they are serious about winning and if it was necessary, they better be prepared to do it. Otherwise we're just spinning our wheels with an ownership not willing to do whatever it takes to win.

C. Yes, you never know what's going to happen. What we do know is that Chicago has it's core of Toews, Kane, Keith and Bolland (add Hossa if you want) locked up for very reasonable prices, Seabrook is the only one in need of an extension next year. That is a core that is as good as any in the league and will enable them to compete for the Cup for a long time. The core stays the same, the rest of the team you tweak and retool as needed. Out of those teams you named not one scared me or struck me as a team that was going to be good for a long time. Anaheim looked set up for years? With Pronger and Niedermayer being as old as they are?

D. Agreed.

Closed Thread