HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Sweden
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

40-team European league soon set (for 2012-13)

Old
06-11-2010, 01:06 PM
PuckOut

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribban View Post

3. Also, am I the only one thinking that London, Paris and some site in Italy ought to have teams? I know those countries might not produce enough players to compete, but if this is truly going to be Euro league, I guess I'd like to see the biggest cities be included (Carolina, Tampa Bay, and San Jose aren't necessarily known for producing tons of hockey talent but they still draw great crowds).

EDIT: So, whereas we might not see many Brits or French people playing on these teams, they can still ice a quality product (team) with players from other countries. Pros will travel, and crowds seem to pay little attention to where the players come from a long as they help the team to win.

If anybody has some insight or thoughts on the points above, I'd love to hear it.
I would be very surprised if we see any british or french teams in this league. I don't think the league can afford to take gambles at this early stage. An Oslo and/or a Copenhagen team is probably as big a gamble as they would be willing to take. They need proven hockey markets.

If the league takes off and proves to be a success, then we might see some new markets tested. But that will probably be in 2015 at the earliest.

I like the fact that the teams will play something like 60% of the games against teams from their own division. That will preserve the traditions and rivalries, at least in my perspective being a DIF fan (and no, I don't want AIK in the new league...they can burn in hell...).

PuckOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 02:21 PM
Tomas W

Well, I will sure as hell not pay any money to follow this unless SSK is in.

Had there been a "neutral" Stockholm based team to cheer on, I might have picked that one, but no way I will ever root for either AIK or DIF.

Tomas W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 04:15 PM
PuckOut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas W View Post
Well, I will sure as hell not pay any money to follow this unless SSK is in.

Had there been a "neutral" Stockholm based team to cheer on, I might have picked that one, but no way I will ever root for either AIK or DIF.
I don't think anyone is counting on your money.

The upside for the clubs who would take part would be international sponsorship deals for the league, added international exposion for team sponsors and tv broadcast-rights.

Of course it won't feel very fair for the teams left out, like SSK, who will be sent into a second tier-like league. But that's the harsh economic reality I suppose.

PuckOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 05:47 PM
Ribban

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckOut View Post
I don't think anyone is counting on your money.

The upside for the clubs who would take part would be international sponsorship deals for the league, added international exposion for team sponsors and tv broadcast-rights.

Of course it won't feel very fair for the teams left out, like SSK, who will be sent into a second tier-like league. But that's the harsh economic reality I suppose.
I agree that financial reality is what it is, and it doesn't care about rivalries. However, TW's comment is not to be taken personally or in singular form. TV contracts MUST be what finances this league, and if I understand it correctly, the clubs will still be clubs, and not franchises that the league can move based on what is best for the league (maybe I'm wrong). So this brings me back to the followng concerns:

1. What major European broacast deal are we supposedly getting with about 40% of the teams coming from the "lilleputt" nation of "Scandinavia?" I just don't really see how the big TV markets of France, England, Italy, Spain, and Germany would really drop what they have in their hands to be consumers of this league unless they are somehow invested.

2. Thomas W's feelings and thoughts are shared by many of the fans whose teams aren't included in the league, so it would be a bit naive to think that the Swedish interest for this kind of leauge would dramatically surpass that of the SEL and generate drastically larger TV deals than what the SEL already has.

At any rate, I just turned my coat on this issue, as I said, and I am certain that Loob and the boyz, would not go out with this kind of info unless they had a plan. If you know anything about how they or others have reasoned or what they are projecting for, I'd love to hear it.

Ribban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 06:26 PM
KRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post
I think, team from Norway and Denmark should be invited.
Vålerengen and Malmö.

KRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 01:10 PM
Mackander

How come Leksand ain't in it?

Mackander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 01:26 PM
Rjinswand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackander View Post
How come Leksand ain't in it?
The club is interested.

Rjinswand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 01:32 PM
Mackander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjinswand View Post
Ah ok althought it says in the Swedish newspaper(Google translate) that it will be 32 teams not 40, has it changed or is my google translate not working?

Mackander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 01:42 PM
Rjinswand

In the article itself, they give 30-40 as the number of clubs. Expressen.se wrote about plans for 40 teams (4 divisions of 10 teams each). I think the 32 figure is a leftover from when ideas of expanding the European Trophy to a league surfaced - then it was talked about 32 teams. Aftonbladet just stuck to it, I think.

Last edited by Rjinswand: 06-13-2010 at 01:50 PM.
Old
06-13-2010, 06:44 PM
yunost

What are the taxes on salaries like in Sweden, and why dont the Swedes at Ikea(or other similar rich organizations) smarten up and sponsor a team that can actually compete with KHL?

yunost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 01:28 AM
Rjinswand

Because they don't want to waste money? The advertising effect would only be noticeable in Sweden and I don't think a company would want to sling several million € away for this.
Also, IKEA only sponsors social and environmental projects.

Old
06-14-2010, 10:37 AM
Alessandro Seren Rosso
Hockey's Future Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Alessandro Seren Rosso Send a message via MSN to Alessandro Seren Rosso
Quote:
3. Also, am I the only one thinking that London, Paris and some site in Italy ought to have teams? I know those countries might not produce enough players to compete, but if this is truly going to be Euro league, I guess I'd like to see the biggest cities be included (Carolina, Tampa Bay, and San Jose aren't necessarily known for producing tons of hockey talent but they still draw great crowds).
London, Paris and Milan can't have a team in their country's top league, let alone such a project...

06-14-2010, 11:07 AM
bottomofthefoodchain

I doubt big swedish companies such as Ikea, H&M or Ericsson have any kind of interest in sponsoring a hockey team. First off, I'm guessing they have no interest in hockey whatsoever, second of all, they already have enough exposure. The money put in most likely not come back.
No profit = no interest.

bottomofthefoodchain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 02:50 PM
Ribban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessandro Seren Rosso View Post
London, Paris and Milan can't have a team in their country's top league, let alone such a project...
I understand what you are saying. However, it sounds to me like looking in the rearview mirror when trying to move forward.

A Euro league like this will have a hard to time to succeed if we are only going to look at what is today. I thought the whole point is to build new rosters with better players, form new rivalries, and build new fan bases (with or without current fans) to allow for the new product to emerge. In such an environment, money seems to be the driving factor, not previous achievement.

I recognize that it might be easier if the league opens up in markets with strong fan bases and culture, provided those fans are open to see their "team" and identity change, but in large cities, such as London, where the current team is off the radar, there are still plenty of hockey fans to fill a decent sized arena. I think we saw an indication of that when the NHL played in London. Even if the potential fan base isn't excited about the hockey product offered by the local team today, it is my understanding that the whole idea of the league was to change that and increase the hockey quality no matter where you came from.

Old
06-15-2010, 04:55 AM
Alessandro Seren Rosso
Hockey's Future Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Alessandro Seren Rosso Send a message via MSN to Alessandro Seren Rosso
Quote:
I recognize that it might be easier if the league opens up in markets with strong fan bases and culture, provided those fans are open to see their "team" and identity change, but in large cities, such as London, where the current team is off the radar, there are still plenty of hockey fans to fill a decent sized arena. I think we saw an indication of that when the NHL played in London. Even if the potential fan base isn't excited about the hockey product offered by the local team today, it is my understanding that the whole idea of the league was to change that and increase the hockey quality no matter where you came from.
That people was there for the glamour, not for hockey. Well, not all of them of course, but it had many international visitors, and so on...

Alessandro Seren Rosso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 12:22 PM
Ribban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessandro Seren Rosso View Post
That people was there for the glamour, not for hockey. Well, not all of them of course, but it had many international visitors, and so on...
Got that, but money doesnt care. 1% of London's population is still a lot more than 30% of Gothenburg's (for example), and if people show up and have a good enough time to come back for whatever resdon, WHO cares if they are die hard puck fans?

Old
06-16-2010, 03:22 AM
Tomas W

Quote:
Got that, but money doesnt care. 1% of London's population is still a lot more than 30% of Gothenburg's (for example), and if people show up and have a good enough time to come back for whatever resdon, WHO cares if they are die hard puck fans?
"A lot more" how many people live in London? 30 million?

Tomas W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 02:50 AM
Ribban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas W View Post
"A lot more" how many people live in London? 30 million?
London:
Population (July 2007 est.)[2][3][4]
- London 7,556,900
- Density 12,331/sq mi (4,761/km2)
- Urban 8,278,251
- Metro 12,300,000 to 13,945,000

Gothenburg:
Population (2009)[2][1]
- City 508,714
- Density 1,130.5/km2 (2,927.9/sq mi)
- Urban 510,491
- Urban Density 2,576.2/km2 (6,672.2/sq mi)
- Metro 920,283
- Metro Density 247.6/km2 (641.2/sq mi)

Dunno for sure how much London has grown in the last two years, but I guess some. So, to all frustrated Goths, who really want Gothenburg to be considered a lot bigger than it is, 30% of the actual population was an exagguration. I stand corrected.

Furthermore, I'm not saying that Gothenburg should not have a team in the new league. I do however think that London might be considered a market with greater upside than Gothenburg, despite my careless semantics, given the fact that one team in England will attract other English hockey fans, and also have a greater number of people traveling through, who are hockey fans.

I doubt that you will grow the sport THAT much more in Gothenburg because you are playing a few extra games vs contental competition during the season, given that Gothenburg is a mature hockey market and still has to compete with Blåvitt, ÖIS, Häcken, and GAIS (Possibly Elfsborg and Halmstad too?) come spring and late fall )yes, England has a soccer team or two as well, but this is where the numbers game become even more accentuated).

Old
07-27-2010, 10:19 AM
pjuud

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRM View Post
Only ten teams and Luleå gets invited?
Yeah it's surprising to see Luleå in the bunch, no doubt. I'm so *****ing relieved we got to be a part of it. I don't even want to think about the scenario of playing in the second league, that would be devastating for both the team and the city as a whole.

pjuud is offline   Reply With Quote