HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Opinion: And the greatest spectator team sport of all is _________

Old
06-14-2010, 08:15 AM
Jiggernaut

vCash: 500
I'd have to say the biggest drawback about Hockey is the disconnect between the action on the field/ice and the fans in the stands. In all other major sports there isn't a 6 foot high ring of glass separating the fans from the action. (Yes, I know why it's there... )

And Hockey live is one of the sports where sitting closer usually means your view of the action is worse off than sitting at least 1/2 way up. Anyone that has sit relatively close to behind the bench, penalty box, along the glass on the side boards can attest to your field of view being cut off almost up to 40% in some places.

And people will argue that the best seats are in the 300's. However when you sit up there, although you can see everything fine, the sense of speed of the game is lost compared to sitting in the low 100's (which I know can be said about all sports).

Basketball probably has the best connection of players on the court and the fans in the lower bowl than any other sport. You get within the first 10 rows, and you're pretty much in the game.

I love hockey, but I'll admit it isn't the best spectator sport out there. Many of the reasons we love it so much, is it's biggest drawbacks as a spectator sport, especially for new fans.

Your criteria:
speed - may also be one of its biggest drawbacks as a spectator sport. blink, and you can miss something. new to the sport, good luck keeping up. plays are harder to execute (see: amount of turn-overs in a hockey game)

game flow - soccer probably wins out here. 45min+ non-stop. but sometimes continuous action can be a downside. want to take a piss, get some food, etc? you're gonna miss some of the game.

athletic agility - football. nothing beats a running-back busting up the middle through a seam, juking around players. Hockey very close second.

tactics - nfl football by a landslide. every play is a set play. college bball second, for pretty much same reason. Hockey is highly ad-libbed on a play by play basis, for its difficulty to execute.

danger and contact - football for sure. There's a reason there's pretty much an injury or a few every single game in the NFL. And we all know, players don't hit in the NHL until the playoffs roll around anyway.

I don't know, maybe I'm misunderstanding your question, as most people seem to be just answering what their favourite sport is. Hockey is by far my favourite as well, but I'll be the first to agree and point out the flaws it has as a spectator sport.

Jiggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 09:33 AM
Gros Bill

And the greatest spectator team sport of all is ...

Peeping through Mme Laguerre's bedroom window on a hot night.

Woops, team sport? Um, peeping through Mme Laguerre's hedge (shovel in hand) while her daughter and her cousin are sunbathing.

That just about settles it.

Last edited by Blind Gardien: 06-14-2010 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Abuse of Moderator power to add (shovel in hand)
Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 09:43 AM
Markovskaya

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
Soccer played at its highest level can be quite entertaining, the world cup is not Soccer's highest level, despite popular belief .. too many bad teams like South Africa, Algeria, Slovenia, North Korea, etc.. mediocre teams like Uruguay, Honduras, Paraguay, New Zealand, etc..

If you want to see a good tournament, watch the European Championships .. 16 teams and they are all very good teams .. think of

Italy, Spain, England, Germany, Holland, France, Serbia, Portugal, etc..

It is a much more competitive tournament with no easy games and a much higher level of soccer overall. Even the bottom 8 teams are teams like Sweden, Denmark, Slovakia, Switzerland ... good well structured teams.
I totally agree Euro as a whole is at a much, much higher level then the world cup. But wait on though...These are the "poules" as they say in France. So you still have to see bad American, african and asian teams. For me it all starts in the 1/4 finals. Then you see the best soccer of all, even better then the Euro. Also, it's very nice to see Brťsil and Argentine play !

Markovskaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 10:03 AM
Bud2790

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
and just when gary had you thinking he was making a serious post, BAM high stick to the face! 4 minutes in the box !

Bud2790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 10:07 AM
Doctor Perry Cox*

I love sports. I love for sports. I love any form of competition, really.

But hockey has a special place in my heart. They built a rink a five minute walk from my house this winter. I'm 17 and it's the first time I've ever had an outdoor rink available. I was there all day, every day for a couple months. It was great. I only went home to watch hockey on TV (because, you know, the Olympics are on).

Doctor Perry Cox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 11:18 AM
Mad Habber

I realize soccer (football) is the most popular sport in the world. But the only one for me is hockey. I donít watch any other.

Hockey - goals, action, momentum switch, etc, real athletes.
Baseball - boring, athletes with beer bellies
Football - too much standing around. Average play is 5-8 seconds long. Some good athletic guys in there too, except for a few 350 pounders who can hardly move. I know why they are there. I still won't call them athletes.
Basketball - like watching tennis almost. Back and fourth, score, score, score. Itís a bigger deal when they donít score.
Soccer - a goal is so rare, too many 0-0 ties. Field is too big. All the diving is annoying also

Other sports like rugby, pollo, field hockey, lacrosse just arenít mainstream enough for me to care.

So no CH or Canadian maple leaf (not that disgusting blue and white Toronto crap) and I donít care.

Mad Habber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 01:14 PM
Jiggernaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Habber View Post
I realize soccer (football) is the most popular sport in the world. But the only one for me is hockey. I donít watch any other.

Hockey - goals, action, momentum switch, etc, real athletes.
Baseball - boring, athletes with beer bellies
Football - too much standing around. Average play is 5-8 seconds long. Some good athletic guys in there too, except for a few 350 pounders who can hardly move. I know why they are there. I still won't call them athletes.
Basketball - like watching tennis almost. Back and fourth, score, score, score. Itís a bigger deal when they donít score.
Soccer - a goal is so rare, too many 0-0 ties. Field is too big. All the diving is annoying also

Other sports like rugby, pollo, field hockey, lacrosse just arenít mainstream enough for me to care.

So no CH or Canadian maple leaf (not that disgusting blue and white Toronto crap) and I donít care.
Watch a hockey game since the new rules came into play?

Only place you'll see a 420 gram stick tap a 6'4" 240lb person on the shin pads, and have them go down like they were shot...

Jiggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 01:21 PM
Claimed Off Waivers

For me it's

1. Habs game
2. English Premiership Soccer
3. NBA
4. NFL
5. Non Habs NHL game
6. MLB

Claimed Off Waivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 01:27 PM
Prudentius

It's easy to pick up Hockey when you have mediocre players and soccer leagues in North America. And it's too much of an annoyance to follow the leagues in Europe, but they would be there above the habs in my opinion if we had a league of the same caliber.

Prudentius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 01:32 PM
Fire Brunet*

1.Hockey because because. I like to play and watch

2.Basketball because of the action, skills/dunks etc, constantly moving and time possession makes it more interesting, I like to play and watch and I wish craptors move to Montreal

3.Soccer because of the skills, I love to play soccer more than basketball but dont like to watch it more than basketball, depending the teams tho

4.Football only when its Alouettes, I dont watch any other teams or nfl or anything else

6.Tennis only when its in Montreal, same for F1(Lewis Hamilton ftw)
Baseball I never watch, its so long and nothing happens, but its nice to play, would watch if Montreal still had a team

Fire Brunet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 03:11 PM
zzoo

For me:
Habs >> Soccer >>> hockey > volleyball > football >>>> everything else.

When Habs was eliminated, I didn't watch the Finals at all. I prefer to watch a non-HD recorded soccer game between two unknown teams than live HD Final game between the best two teams. It's weird, I find hockey quite boring although I love Habs to death.

zzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 03:57 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggernaut View Post
I'd have to say the biggest drawback about Hockey is the disconnect between the action on the field/ice and the fans in the stands. In all other major sports there isn't a 6 foot high ring of glass separating the fans from the action. (Yes, I know why it's there... )

And Hockey live is one of the sports where sitting closer usually means your view of the action is worse off than sitting at least 1/2 way up. Anyone that has sit relatively close to behind the bench, penalty box, along the glass on the side boards can attest to your field of view being cut off almost up to 40% in some places.

And people will argue that the best seats are in the 300's. However when you sit up there, although you can see everything fine, the sense of speed of the game is lost compared to sitting in the low 100's (which I know can be said about all sports).

Basketball probably has the best connection of players on the court and the fans in the lower bowl than any other sport. You get within the first 10 rows, and you're pretty much in the game.

I love hockey, but I'll admit it isn't the best spectator sport out there. Many of the reasons we love it so much, is it's biggest drawbacks as a spectator sport, especially for new fans.

Your criteria:
speed - may also be one of its biggest drawbacks as a spectator sport. blink, and you can miss something. new to the sport, good luck keeping up. plays are harder to execute (see: amount of turn-overs in a hockey game)

game flow - soccer probably wins out here. 45min+ non-stop. but sometimes continuous action can be a downside. want to take a piss, get some food, etc? you're gonna miss some of the game.

athletic agility - football. nothing beats a running-back busting up the middle through a seam, juking around players. Hockey very close second.

tactics - nfl football by a landslide. every play is a set play. college bball second, for pretty much same reason. Hockey is highly ad-libbed on a play by play basis, for its difficulty to execute.

danger and contact - football for sure. There's a reason there's pretty much an injury or a few every single game in the NFL. And we all know, players don't hit in the NHL until the playoffs roll around anyway.

I don't know, maybe I'm misunderstanding your question, as most people seem to be just answering what their favourite sport is. Hockey is by far my favourite as well, but I'll be the first to agree and point out the flaws it has as a spectator sport.
Excellent point by point analysis, btw

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote