HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Great piece on Benoit Pouliot

Old
06-11-2010, 03:54 PM
j52

vCash: 500
The way that we draft, we will get the shaft, not the mine, regardless of when we pick.

j52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 06:33 PM
habtastic

Can we please keep track of who's whining about our team sucking and pouliot being a bust next year?

Put me down for:
- I'm still reeling from the amazing run, which I am HAPPY for
- Pouliot will be dominant, reg season and playoffs if healthy
- "realism" in sports is very subjective. We REALLY made the ECF. I'm sure being "real" wouldn't have allowed that to happen against Wash and then Pitt.

GO Pouliot!
GO Habs!

future is bright

ps I thought Pouls was far from soft. just couldn't generate offense

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 06:54 PM
Sargent Pepper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
About the injury. I said it many times on these boards and no one would ever take it into account. I saw the entire habs team 3 days after their elimination and Pouliot had is hand all taped up and bruised, which I'm sure affected his stick handling and shooting as well as overall confidence in his capabilities.
I actually believe he was more injured than we know and that he was probably playing at 60-70 percent of his capacity....I saw him shy away from contact a couple of times.....and I had not really noticed that in the regular season.....did not seem to be his habit.....

I like Pouliot, I think he is going to be a real one.....day in, day out.....but dont expect him to be Cam Neely or Bertuzzi....he will be Pouliot the offensive player with some roughness to his game, not the other way around.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
Can we please keep track of who's whining about our team sucking and pouliot being a bust next year?

Put me down for:
- I'm still reeling from the amazing run, which I am HAPPY for
- Pouliot will be dominant, reg season and playoffs if healthy
- "realism" in sports is very subjective. We REALLY made the ECF. I'm sure being "real" wouldn't have allowed that to happen against Wash and then Pitt.

GO Pouliot!
GO Habs!

future is bright

ps I thought Pouls was far from soft. just couldn't generate offense
Actually, if you pay attention, they are usually the same guys.....same guys whining at the trade last summer that brought Gomez, same guys that wanted to disband the team two months before the playoffs (for draftpicks as I recall) same guys saying that we wasted our time going deep into the playoff as now the team will not do the overhaul it needs....etc.......once you spotted them, you will see the come back on all the same negative issues

I think Pouliot will be dominent....I like him...

Sargent Pepper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 07:16 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargent Pepper View Post
Actually, if you pay attention, they are usually the same guys.....same guys whining at the trade last summer that brought Gomez, same guys that wanted to disband the team two months before the playoffs (for draftpicks as I recall) same guys saying that we wasted our time going deep into the playoff as now the team will not do the overhaul it needs....etc.......once you spotted them, you will see the come back on all the same negative issues

I think Pouliot will be dominent....I like him...
I've said this since we traded for him.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 08:17 PM
WeezyHabFan

If he comes into the season healthy and stronger I'd be so excited. He is a big guy with a good shot if he can turn it around next season he will be a dominant player in the league! I still got hopes for him and have a good feeling about him.

WeezyHabFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 11:53 AM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

You'd better work hard in the off-season, Pools... or you're a fool.

You have a chance to become a very rich man if you can bring out that talent.

Instead of becoming a penny-pinching schmo like most of the people of the world...

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 02:26 PM
Count of DannyKristo

For anyone who want to see an example of speed vs. agility, Benoit Pouliot is a good case. He has good speed, but his agility is awful. I hope there is some way he can work on his balance, because as soon as he has to cut a sharp corner he's on his butt. He falls on his own multiple times per game.

Yes, he was awful in the playoffs but some of that has to be attributed to an injury. Total no show. I hope we can get something in between his hot regular season streak and his playoff disappointment. The offensive tools are there.

Count of DannyKristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 02:45 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
I am not sure I agree. He may have not laid out any big hits, but Pouliot was one of the few forwards that could consistently finish his checks on the forechecks. I would like to see more from him, but in relation to the rest of the forwards, he was one of the better.
Pouliot has 3 hits more than Gionta. They are respectively 3rd and 4th for the forwards on our team.
I think that says a lot about our team's physical play. He needs to bulk up.

Quote:
I actually believe he was more injured than we know and that he was probably playing at 60-70 percent of his capacity....I saw him shy away from contact a couple of times.....and I had not really noticed that in the regular season.....did not seem to be his habit.....
Not really..That's just the way he played in Minny.
He had the usual high most players get after being traded. Once he settled in, he started to get back to his old ways little by little.

Like I previously said, everybody in the POs have bruises and small injuries, that's not a reason. And really, he created absolutely nothing, you certainly can't blame a minor injury for that.

He needs to bounce back next year, his chances are running out.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 02:47 PM
AntonCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by katatoniak View Post
Hope he comes back 10 lbs heavier.
25 even

AntonCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 03:01 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonCH View Post
25 even
That's too much of an addition. Over a 4months stretch, adding 25lbs means adding A LOT of fat.
This would be counterproductive.

Old
06-12-2010, 03:34 PM
le_sean

We have to remember that, not only was he injured, but he played 71 NHL games this season with quite a bit of icetime compared to his days in Minnesota. His conditioning is probably low and he will just have to work on building endurance.

He has great speed, hands and a great shot. Sometimes he lays a big hit and he even gave a tough guy like Redden a run for his money.

If he finds consistency, watch out.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 04:11 PM
markov`

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
That's too much of an addition. Over a 4months stretch, adding 25lbs means adding A LOT of fat.
Over 4 months, he can easily come back 10-12 pounds heavier tho

markov` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 04:28 PM
Sargent Pepper*

Quote:
Pouliot has 3 hits more than Gionta. They are respectively 3rd and 4th for the forwards on our team.
I think that says a lot about our team's physical play. He needs to bulk up.

Not really..That's just the way he played in Minny.
He had the usual high most players get after being traded. Once he settled in, he started to get back to his old ways little by little.

Like I previously said, everybody in the POs have bruises and small injuries, that's not a reason. And really, he created absolutely nothing, you certainly can't blame a minor injury for that.

He needs to bounce back next year, his chances are running out.
What are you talking about?....that was not the way he played in Minny and it surely wasnt how he played for us until about a month before the playoffs....Are you suggesting you know more inside information than the rest of us?.... His chances are running out? who said that? Do you have a link of anyone saying that about him? I seriously doubt that this is founded......

Quote:
Actually, any athlet will tell you that over 4 months you can add 25 lbs.....and not necessarily in fat but in muscle....the problem with that is that you will lose a lot of flexibility.....fat has little to do with it.....retaining flexibility while adding a lot of muscle is the real challenge.

Old
06-12-2010, 04:44 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Actually, any athlet will tell you that over 4 months you can add 25 lbs.....and not necessarily in fat but in muscle....the problem with that is that you will lose a lot of flexibility.....fat has little to do with it.....retaining flexibility while adding a lot of muscle is the real challenge.
I doubt this happens. The kid needs to rest a little after the playoffs, especially if he has an injury.

If David Fischer cannot add 25 lbs of muscle in 4 years of College, then I don't think Pouliot can do it in 3 months. Clearly they are different people, but Pouliot has to improve other aspects of his physicality too this summer.

10 lbs is a much more reasonable target.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 04:48 PM
Sargent Pepper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
I doubt this happens. The kid needs to rest a little after the playoffs, especially if he has an injury.

If David Fischer cannot add 25 lbs of muscle in 4 years of College, then I don't think Pouliot can do it in 3 months. Clearly they are different people, but Pouliot has to improve other aspects of his physicality too this summer.

10 lbs is a much more reasonable target.
Oh I am with you on the fact that it will not likely happen....I have no doubts about that....

but is it possible?....heck yeah....it is.....and not with fat as the poster was suggesting.....but at the end, it is too fast and you end up losing on flexibility...big time....

Yeah......7-10 lbs for a physical hockey player is a desirable target for the summer...if the objective is to increase your muscular mass...
During my days in the CDN Military, I seen guys on deployment gain this sort of mass on short period.....simply because they had the time and committment to do it... (not much to do during off hours when you are on deployment or temporary assignments away from home but drink or train....or both)

Last edited by Sargent Pepper*: 06-12-2010 at 04:58 PM.
Old
06-12-2010, 05:23 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
What are you talking about?....that was not the way he played in Minny and it surely wasnt how he played for us until about a month before the playoffs....Are you suggesting you know more inside information than the rest of us?.... His time running out? who said that? Do you have a link of anyone saying that about him? I seriously doubt that this is founded......
Yes, it is. He showed good bursts but was inconsistent. That was his main issue in Minny. After his post-trade high, he fell into a cold streak scoring once in 14GP. If you add his PO performance, then he's got 1G in his last 32GP. I'm not going to blame an injury for that long of a drought.

You don't have to be a genius to realize his time is running out. He'll be 24 at the start of next season and has been traded once already.
If he doesn't blossom in the next two years, then I have a hard time believing he will any time after that. It's only logical, I don't see why you have a hard time understanding this.

Quote:
I don't care which athlete tell me this, he'd clearly be misinformed.
There is absolutely no way anybody can put on 25lbs of lean muscle over 3-4months. IMPOSSIBLE.
When you gain weight, you will add on muscle, fat, water, stored cards, etc..
It also is different for everybody. Genetics and physical condition will be variables to take into consideration.

If you truly are a God's gift for physical activity, then you will at the most gain about 5lbs of lean muscle per month. Pouliot if you look at him without equipment resembles more the Ectomorph body type. So I strongly doubt he'd be able to reach gains of 5lbs of lean muscle per month.
There's also no possible way to reach those gains while having to do high cardiovascular training which, correct me if I'm wrong Mr.Expert, is extremely important to hockey.

He can put on 25lbs over 4months, anybody can. It just won't be of lean muscle. You clearly have no knowledge on the issue so don't argue about this with me. I study and work in that field.
Setting a 25lbs of lean muscle gain objective is usually done over a year.

10-15lbs is a great objective because you will be able to keep your cardio level while adding weight.

Retaining flexibility while adding muscle is far from being any type of challenge. You simply have to stretch regularly.

Old
06-12-2010, 05:42 PM
icerocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by goforit View Post
Sorry guys, I'm everything but optimist for the next(s) year(s), and this is why I didn't really want us to reach the ECF...
Some Habs fans are only happy when they are unhappy.

icerocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 05:52 PM
Sargent Pepper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by icerocket View Post
Some Habs fans are only happy when they are unhappy.

aint that a fact.....the most factual statement I read today....

Quote:
Yes, it is. He showed good bursts but was inconsistent. That was his main issue in Minny. After his post-trade high, he fell into a cold streak scoring once in 14GP. If you add his PO performance, then he's got 1G in his last 32GP. I'm not going to blame an injury for that long of a drought.

You don't have to be a genius to realize his time is running out. He'll be 24 at the start of next season and has been traded once already.
If he doesn't blossom in the next two years, then I have a hard time believing he will any time after that. It's only logical, I don't see why you have a hard time understanding this.

I don't care which athlete tell me this, he'd clearly be misinformed.
There is absolutely no way anybody can put on 25lbs of lean muscle over 3-4months. IMPOSSIBLE.
When you gain weight, you will add on muscle, fat, water, stored cards, etc..
It also is different for everybody. Genetics and physical condition will be variables to take into consideration.

If you truly are a God's gift for physical activity, then you will at the most gain about 5lbs of lean muscle per month. Pouliot if you look at him without equipment resembles more the Ectomorph body type. So I strongly doubt he'd be able to reach gains of 5lbs of lean muscle per month.
There's also no possible way to reach those gains while having to do high cardiovascular training which, correct me if I'm wrong Mr.Expert, is extremely important to hockey.

He can put on 25lbs over 4months, anybody can. It just won't be of lean muscle. You clearly have no knowledge on the issue so don't argue about this with me. I study and work in that field.
Setting a 25lbs of lean muscle gain objective is usually done over a year.

10-15lbs is a great objective because you will be able to keep your cardio level while adding weight.

Retaining flexibility while adding muscle is far from being any type of challenge. You simply have to stretch regularly.
Having played competitive hockey and having been around the gym most of my life, at nearly 50, I can assure you that it is done far more frequently than you suggest.....that being said, when it is done too fast, it typically comes at the expense of flexibility....There are a lot of examples of pro athlete who put on too much mass too quickly....Baseball players who could not catch up to the fastball anymore.....hockey players who lost of step on the ice....football players who could not "cut the corner" anymore without blowing a knee....boxers who could not "dance" anymore...etc...

So, a fast intake of 25 lbs in the gym is very doable (over a period 4 months)...but not desirable, especially for an athlete.....

Old
06-12-2010, 06:10 PM
AntonCH

Before a war breaks out over non-hockey issues

All I meant was that ideally at his size and frame Pouliot can stand to gain 25 lbs over the summer
Can it be done --- Absolutely
Will there be some fat added to that, probably, what percentage? depends on the athletes commitment to diet.
Will flexibility suffer? yup, to what extent? again depends on the athlete.
Is fat counter-productive for Pouliot? IMHO it all depends, how much and what muscles groups he targets. Making a broad sweeping remark is a little off-base, too many variables to make a proper assessment.
But it can be done, and as a pro athlete he has the resources to do it

AntonCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 11:22 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Having played competitive hockey and having been around the gym most of my life, at nearly 50, I can assure you that it is done far more frequently than you suggest.....that being said, when it is done too fast, it typically comes at the expense of flexibility....There are a lot of examples of pro athlete who put on too much mass too quickly....Baseball players who could not catch up to the fastball anymore.....hockey players who lost of step on the ice....football players who could not "cut the corner" anymore without blowing a knee....boxers who could not "dance" anymore...etc...

So, a fast intake of 25 lbs in the gym is very doable (over a period 4 months)...but not desirable, especially for an athlete.....
I don't care how often you've been around the gym you are WRONG.
It's not because you played ''competitive'' hockey and been a gym member your whole life that it makes you an expert on the matter.

The number of morons at the gym is incredible. Most members don't even know what they're doing and do it wrong. Can't blame them, their trainers are usually filled with crap and know even less what they're talking about.

Putting on 25lbs over 4months is possible.
Putting on 25lbs of lean muscle is IMPOSSIBLE.

There are limitations as to how much muscle your body can add over short periods (and long ones for that matter).
If you gain 25lbs over 4months that means you gain more than 6lbs of pure muscle a month, that's laughable.

Like you said, there are many examples of athletes putting on too much weight which made it more difficult to them. Those were not gains of pure muscle.
On the contrary though, there isn't any example of an athlete adding over 20lbs in the off season and benefiting from it.

It's just impossible and will be counterproductive.

If you want to add weight, quickly, you will need to limit your cardio vascular training and focus more towards a bodybuilding type of workout. Because, in a nutshell, how do you put on mass??..By eating more Kcal(calories) than spending them.
So, since adding fast weight is the objective, you will stock up on Carbs.
Over stocking on Carbs (not burning enough Kcal) means that those will essentially be converted into fat. Limiting burning calories, while continuously having a high intake of them through your nutrition means you will rarely use the energy given to you from fats (limiting your carb intake and focusing on spending the energy stored from fats is how you lean out).

So, over earting Carbs + not burning enough KCal = Adding weight (with a lot of Fat). (This is also very unhealthy, as you're playing with your insulin levels too much and over the long run could lead to hyperinsulinemia. High Carbs diet are extremely unhealthy, something the health department is completely oblivious to. )
Adding weight =/= Adding pure muscle.
Adding lean muscle over such a short period is impossible because of the nutrition and type of workout you want to do.
Add mass= High Carb diet, Low Cardio/intensity Workouts.
Lean Muscle=Low Carb diet(stock up on Fatty foods instead), High Cardio/Intensity WOs.
That's why it takes time for EVERYBODY to have big pure muscle gains and is impossible over 4months.
This is without even looking at the body type and physiology of the person.

Also, if you weigh 180lbs and add 5lbs of pure muscle, your weight on the scale won't be 185lbs. It'll be higher than that. You can't add muscle without adding a bit of far as well (they usually say for every 5lbs of pure muscle, you will add 2lbs of fat), and there's also water to take into consideration.

So adding 25lbs of pure muscle = adding more than 25lbs to your overall weight.

If you think you can add 25 of pure lean muscle over 4months then you live in LalaLand.

Last edited by Kriss E: 06-14-2010 at 11:50 AM.
Old
06-14-2010, 11:26 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Who cares how much weight at this point for him. It could come with time. What's CRUCIAL right now is leg strength and balance. Obviously stronger you are on your upper body, chances are you'd be more able to take hits and stop falling.....but lower body is the main problem.

Enough of seeing a freakin baby Chevreuil on the ice....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 11:31 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Who cares how much weight at this point for him. It could come with time. What's CRUCIAL right now is leg strength and balance. Obviously stronger you are on your upper body, chances are you'd be more able to take hits and stop falling.....but lower body is the main problem.

Enough of seeing a freakin baby Chevreuil on the ice....
Balance is neurologically affected. It comes from the mental side.
So it really doesn't have much to do with physical strength. That's why you never see a Bodybuilder with great coordination.

However, strength obviously becomes important when you need to resist to physical impact.
He needs to focus on his legs and midline stability (abs).

Old
06-14-2010, 11:32 AM
Basszor

Quote:
I don't care how often you've been around the gym you are WRONG.
It's not because you played ''competitive'' hockey and been a gym member your whole life that it makes you an expert on the matter.

The number of morons at the gym is incredible. Most members don't even know what they're doing and do it wrong. Can't blame them, their trainers are usually filled with crap and know even less what they're talking about.

Putting on 25lbs over 4months is possible.
Putting on 25lbs of lean muscle is IMPOSSIBLE.

There are limitations as to how much muscle your body can add over short periods (and long ones for that matter).
If you gain 25lbs over 4months that means you gain more than 6lbs of pure muscle a month, that's laughable.

Like you said, there are many examples of athletes putting on too much weight which made it more difficult to them. Those were not gains of pure muscle.
On the contrary though, there isn't any example of an athlete adding over 20lbs in the off season and benefiting from it.

It's just impossible and will be counterproductive.

If you want to add weight, quickly, you will need to limit your cardio vascular training and focus more towards a bodybuilding type of workout. Because, in a nutshell, how do you put on mass??..By eating more Kcal(calories) than spending them.
So, since adding fast weight is the objective, you will stock up on Carbs.
Over stocking on Carbs (not burning enough Kcal) means that those will essentially be converted into fat. Limiting burning calories, while continuously having a high intake of them through your nutrition means you will rarely use the energy given to you from fats (limiting your carb intake and focusing on spending the energy stored from fats is how you lean out).

So, over earting Carbs + not burning enough KCal = Adding weight (with a lot of Fat).
Adding weight =/= Adding pure muscle.
Adding lean muscle over such a short period is impossible because of the nutrition and type of workout you want to do.
Add mass= High Carb diet, Low Cardio/intensity Workouts.
Lean Muscle=Low Carb diet(stock up on Fatty foods instead), High Cardio/Intensity WOs.
That's why it takes time for EVERYBODY to have big pure muscle gains and is impossible over 4months.
This is without even looking at the body type and physiology of the person.

Also, if you weigh 180lbs and add 5lbs of pure muscle, your weight on the scale won't be 185lbs. It'll be higher than that. You can't add muscle without adding a bit of far as well (they usually say for every 5lbs of pure muscle, you will add 2lbs of fat), and there's also water to take into consideration.

So adding 25lbs of pure muscle = adding more than 25lbs to your overall weight.

If you think you can add 25 of pure lean muscle over 4months then you live in LalaLand.
Good to know all of this

Basszor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 11:48 AM
sgupca

What do u guys think he'll get for a contract?

2 years at 4mil? 2mil per season?

he is worth it? more or less?

sgupca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 11:50 AM
Andy

I like Pouliot, still young, has good potential offensively, lets hope we can stay patient with him for longer than half a season.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote