HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Refs picking fights?

Old
06-13-2010, 01:19 PM
Ducksgo
#EtemUp

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Ducksgo
Refs picking fights?

Played a game the other night and while crashing the net, the ref blew the whistle and began to barrage me with cursing, and taunts and other slurrs at me. I'm not a chump, so I told him right back to f off and he gave me a unsportsmanlike penalty. So i'm like wtf man........if your gonna just go off on a player for simply crashing the net and getting physical downlow you shouldn't be reffing the game. This kid was like 20 years old, with a high school attitude. I almost wanted to go off on em right then and there.

Am I right or wrong on this one?, what the hell is up with high school kids reffing adult league games?, and having a nasty high school attitude towards PAYING players. It's not our fault that you didn't make a college team and take the game to a new level, instead your at a local ice hockey rink reffing house league games.

Ducksgo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 02:19 PM
takehisheadoff

Never argue with the ref it is like arguing with the cops you will never win. I personally could never be a ref I think I would be terrible it is one of the hardest things in my mind to do. Because no matter what you call or do you are always wrong or an idiot in someones eyes.

Its a little different for me now I play in a beer league where we don't know what backchecking is and we for sure would never crash the net. We have a ref that has downs syndrome and he is just out there to skate and hang out with us. Competitive hockey for me was fun in minor hockey and junior but at 30 now I could care less if I win or lose as long as I get to get out there and skate (and drink beers)

takehisheadoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 02:52 PM
blueberrydanish

Sadly in adult leagues there is not much you can do about the refs, but if your situation is like you described it then you can file a complaint and go from there. Wouldn't expect much to come of it. In my area we have limited refs and even have some in the same league refing our games which can make it a bit frustrating at times. Best thing you can do is try to stay calm and just accept whatever ruling they have, cause last thing you want is a ref with a grudge against your team which seems to be a problem my team has with one.

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 03:08 PM
Faute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksgo View Post
Played a game the other night and while crashing the net, the ref blew the whistle and began to barrage me with cursing, and taunts and other slurrs at me. I'm not a chump, so I told him right back to f off and he gave me a unsportsmanlike penalty. So i'm like wtf man........if your gonna just go off on a player for simply crashing the net and getting physical downlow you shouldn't be reffing the game. This kid was like 20 years old, with a high school attitude. I almost wanted to go off on em right then and there.

Am I right or wrong on this one?, what the hell is up with high school kids reffing adult league games?, and having a nasty high school attitude towards PAYING players. It's not our fault that you didn't make a college team and take the game to a new level, instead your at a local ice hockey rink reffing house league games.
Maybe, just maybe, only high school kids ref' adult games because not too many adults want to be paid rather cheaply to watch some very crappy hockey and be insulted by players half the time? Maybe? If they were treated nicely, referees would be better, it's that simple.

I'm not only judging your situation, as I obviously wasn't there, but the amount of adult players who are unable to realize they can do wrong is high, very very high.

Faute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 03:24 PM
Pierre Gotye

Dude I know how you feel-

Our last game an opposing player tried to take out my winger(I play defense) along the boards, and missed...he ended up hurting himself.

The play continued, my defenseman told the ref to blow the whistle and call the play dead.

Before we knew it, the play was blown dead and the ref gave my defenseman an unsportsmanlike penalty. Later on he decided to also give us an additional penalty AFTER they scored.

I was LIVID.

We were expecting the guy who charged to be assessed, because he intentionally tried to hurt my teammate(even though he missed) and he should have gotten the unsportsmanlike...and he didn't.

Later on my defenseman teammate explained to the ref that he had once gotten a neck injury, and he was just looking out for the safety of the player.

Needless to say this young buck ref said: "All I heard was you yelling at me."

It was complete b.s. and ended up costing us 2 goals early in the game, and 2 more later in the period. We lost 6-2, but we outplayed them the rest of the way through the game.

I hate it when refs decide games(and in Adult rec league hockey I've seen plenty and will see plenty more). But these aren't NHL officials keep in mind. Most of these guys have very limited experience.

Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 08:35 PM
densetsu

He might be warranted to do that, given the situation.

If one or both teams were being dicks and things were getting out of hand, or if he had prior knowledge of one or both of the teams having a habit of doing so... maybe.

Also, you say "oh, I just crashed the net" like it's a non-issue. At the best of times that's a dangerous thing to do, and maybe the ref just didn't want that tomfoolery in the hockey game. In the past four years, I've had a torn MCL and a torn groin in two separate incidents where players were "just crashing the net" and lost control, slamming right into me. In a third incident, I took a skate to the throat which got below my mask -- luckily, I had a throat guard on.

Again, I have no knowledge of the situation, and admittedly I'm a bit biased given my position and my history. But I wouldn't immediately get mad at the ref if he had to take things up a notch to get the situation in control.

Also, if you were nearly willing to fight the ref just because he swore at you, my feeling is that you're the one with the "high school attitude", not him.

densetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 08:59 PM
DevsFan84

Just skate away and turn your back to him. That seems to piss them off more than yelling back, and it prevents you from getting a penalty.

DevsFan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 10:01 PM
timekeep

Crashing the net is like bodychecking, grow up a bit yourself. I'm glad the ref gave you crap, you could have injured the goalie. Then since you're not a chump you tell him to F off.

It sounds like you're the one still living the dream.

timekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 10:45 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by timekeep View Post
Crashing the net is like bodychecking, grow up a bit yourself. I'm glad the ref gave you crap, you could have injured the goalie. Then since you're not a chump you tell him to F off.

It sounds like you're the one still living the dream.
Crashing the net refers to going to the net. If he's doing what you're thinking he did, he would have gotten a goaltender interference penalty and the other team would have beat him. He probably just knocked over some tool.

You were probably the ref.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 11:54 PM
timekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Crashing the net refers to going to the net. If he's doing what you're thinking he did, he would have gotten a goaltender interference penalty and the other team would have beat him. He probably just knocked over some tool.

You were probably the ref.
And not stopping. Usually the goalie is who stops the player crashing the net. If this is adult rec hockey no need for this.

timekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 12:19 AM
densetsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Crashing the net refers to going to the net.
Correction: going to the net hard and fast. And what happens when that player loses an edge or can't turn or stop as quickly as he thinks he can?

My knee, my groin, and my neck guard all know what happens. 99% of the time it's just idiotic. Why do players think they have to skate right at me full tilt, get a step in my crease, and make that last minute turn or give me a gigantic snow shower?

Hitting a player who isn't in a position to properly take a bodycheck, in a non-contact adult league where people have real jobs to go to the next day, just isn't cool.

Old
06-14-2010, 05:04 AM
IniNew

I hate posts like this. They're always so clearly one sided. I'm sure if we heard the refs recount of the events they'd be drastically different.

IniNew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 11:27 AM
Ducksgo
#EtemUp

Send a message via AIM to Ducksgo
Quote:
Originally Posted by timekeep View Post
And not stopping. Usually the goalie is who stops the player crashing the net. If this is adult rec hockey no need for this.
Well for one I would of included more details if this were to happen, and would of gotten a different penalty if it was for crashing the net and running him over. In which I did not do, this post was simply to gather thoughts of other people on whether its normal to be cussed out by a ref, bad experiences, and other issues while playing at a local rink.

Ducksgo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 12:09 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Refs shouldn't engage in any kind of argument, but it's not a surprise for a younger (read: less experienced) ref to do something like that. It's common in every sport, in every community for there to be a ref who hasn't quite learned how to screen out criticism.

The easiest way to avoid confrontation is to play clean and take your medicine when you get called. It's not like he's going to let you off with a citation if you keep yelling at him.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 02:08 PM
densetsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksgo View Post
Well for one I would of included more details if this were to happen, and would of gotten a different penalty if it was for crashing the net and running him over. In which I did not do, this post was simply to gather thoughts of other people on whether its normal to be cussed out by a ref, bad experiences, and other issues while playing at a local rink.
Fair enough.

I've known a few refs who've resorted to swearing to get things under control, even if it's just swearing at a single guy. Most often, it's in cases where the player is losing his temper, and the refs want him off the ice ASAP. Rarely have I ever seen a ref come up and start swearing at a guy for a routine, ho-hum penalty; it's only happened if something prior to the penalty happened, like the player ignoring the ref's warnings, or the player taking multiple stupid penalties beforehand.

More often, though, refs just hold grudges over the entire season. I've known many refs who do this. Once you've taken a major penalty and/or are thrown out of a game, they watch you like a hawk the rest of the season and throw the book at you whenever they can.

Old
06-14-2010, 03:53 PM
Pog Form

If you feel like it was unfair, file a formal complaint against the ref.

Pog Form is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 10:10 AM
JRZ DVLS
Try Brubag*****

Had a ref tell us about the GFO rule last night after some guys were talking smack.....

it's the Get the F Out rule.

No suspensions, no misconducts, just Get the F off the Ice.....

JRZ DVLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 02:54 PM
dabeechman

Had a guy grab my arm and try to pull me down the game before last. The guy lost his grip and he was the only one to go down. Ref calls the penalty on me. Afterwards I asked him what he saw on the play and he said he didn't really see the play, only that the guy went down. I told him if he had not seen the play, he shouldn't call anything. Afterwards he agreed and even mentioned the guy was a bit of a diver.

Least he owned up to the fact that he made a mistake. But it certainly doesn't make it right.

dabeechman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 03:58 PM
Moses Doughty
LA's offense offends

Had a ref try to give me a penalty and eject me for having someone on the other team sit on me during the play(Im a goalie).

But yea OP, you were hosed

Moses Doughty is offline   Reply With Quote