HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Skates too sharp

Old
06-14-2010, 01:27 PM
jlnjcb

vCash: 500
Skates too sharp

Hi all:

I recently got my skates sharpened up and they are way too sharp. Since I'm a beginner I'm having a hard time stopping with them. I've heard a few guys say to scrape them over a piece of wood, but a few guys have advised against it. Any opinions on how to dull them?

Also,

For future reference, what do I say to the skate sharpener guy the next time I go to get them sharpened? I've looked at different threads and they all use measurements (1/2", 3/8") but i have no idea whatsoever on how to "read" those measurements. Care to give an explanation?

Thanks.

jlnjcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 01:54 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Ask what hollow they sharpen skates to, and get 1/8" shallower next time (i.e. if they have 1/2", go 5/8", etc).

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 01:55 PM
DJnet65

I would not advise you to try to dull your skates using a piece of wood or plastic. While it may dull your skates it will probably be uneven and even then dulling them is not what the problem is anyway.

You need to change your skate bladed Radius of hollow. This is how deep or shallow the cut of you skate blade is. the deeper the hollow the more bite it has(it will feel sharper). the shallower the hollow the more glide and less bite it will have( it will feel duller).

Hollows are measured in 1/16" increments

These are the most common

11/16" 5/8" 9/16" 1/2" 7/16" 3/8" 5/16"
<-- less bite more glide More bite less glide -->

The only real way to know what your radius of hollow is right for you is to try different sharpenings.

Hope thsi makes sense.

Take a look at these webpages. They should give you some good info on how to choose the right skate sharpening for you.

http://www.redi-edgeice.com/skate-sharpening-tips.aspx

http://noicingsports.com/skate_sharpening_radius.html

Last edited by DJnet65: 06-14-2010 at 02:03 PM.
DJnet65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 02:05 PM
SouthpawTRK

The skates will eventually get dull the more you skate on them; the amount of time may vary from individual to individual.

Some may recommend that you take a copper penny (I believe it needs to be prior to 1968 or have a wheat leaf on it) and lightly rub the penny (on the flat side of the penny) along the length of your blade to slightly dull the edges.

While you might have an easier time stopping on your skates when they are dull, you might be losing some valuable edge control since the edges are dull and might feel like your edges are slipping a bit.

The cut that is fairly common is 1/2" on skates, but it obviously varies from person to person. For someone getting started, I would say that a 1/2" is good place to start. Going with a smaller cut, say 3/8", you will feel like you can make tighter turns, but you may lose a bit of stability.

Hopefully this information is helpful, I too am a beginner, so hopefully I am correct with this information.

SouthpawTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 02:30 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Speaking of which, how much time/usage does it take to dull a skate blade? Are we talking days, weeks...

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 02:41 PM
kr580

Send a message via AIM to kr580
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
Speaking of which, how much time/usage does it take to dull a skate blade? Are we talking days, weeks...
Depends on how much and how hard you skate on them. I can get away with about 2 weeks or so before my skates start slipping out from under me. That includes 2 stick times, and maybe 10 hours of public skate during that time. It's all personal preference though. You'll start to know when they need to be sharpened.

To jlnjcb: How many times have you skated on that sharpness? If you've only skated a time or two with it, personally, I would suggest giving it a few more skates if possible. When I was first learning to skate the first few sharpenings I got were pretty dull (didn't notice at the time). When I got a quality 1/2" cut for the first time I nearly snapped my ankle and broke my neck on my first hockey stop attempt on the new blades. Since then I've gotten used to the sharpness and love it, I don't even think of them as particularly sharp anymore.

kr580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 02:43 PM
Jive Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
That depends on how much wood you apply to the blade (I kid, I kid !!).

Really depends on how much you thrash them. If you feel you are losing an edge too easily, take them in. For me sometimes it's months, some times weeks.

After a while you will get a feel for it.

Jive Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 02:49 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

My skates usually last 10-12 ice times, unless it's winter and I skate outside (closer to 3-4) or if I get a nick in the blade.

Also, cheap skates have crappy steel that needs more frequent sharpening. I used to only get a few hours out of my crappy $80 skates.

Old
06-14-2010, 04:20 PM
jlnjcb

Quote:
Originally Posted by kr580 View Post
To jlnjcb: How many times have you skated on that sharpness? If you've only skated a time or two with it, personally, I would suggest giving it a few more skates if possible. When I was first learning to skate the first few sharpenings I got were pretty dull (didn't notice at the time). When I got a quality 1/2" cut for the first time I nearly snapped my ankle and broke my neck on my first hockey stop attempt on the new blades. Since then I've gotten used to the sharpness and love it, I don't even think of them as particularly sharp anymore.
I've skated probably 4 hours worth with it being "too sharp". The thing that annoys me the most is I can't stop with them. Everything else is pretty much fine.

Old
06-14-2010, 04:28 PM
jlnjcb

So basically I should just say to the sharpener:

"Can I get a 5/8" hallow"? if the usually do 1/2"; or a 1/2" if they do a 3/8"

i dont want to sound like a idiot lol.

Old
06-14-2010, 04:31 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlnjcb View Post
So basically I should just say to the sharpener:

"Can I get a 5/8" hallow"? if the usually do 1/2"; or a 1/2" if they do a 3/8"

i dont want to sound like a idiot lol.
That's correct, and you'll probably sound smarter than 95% of the people

When you're stopping, are the skates "chattering", as in skipping along the ice?

Old
06-14-2010, 04:49 PM
jlnjcb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
That's correct, and you'll probably sound smarter than 95% of the people

When you're stopping, are the skates "chattering", as in skipping along the ice?
Ya, thats how I would describe it. Like it has too much "grip"

Old
06-14-2010, 04:53 PM
blueberrydanish

I get a 7/16 cut and if I dont have a session or two before a game to wear em down I will use the metal door handle at the benches as a way to help speed up the process. Works perfect for me =]

Also to the part of stopping, I am the same way at first when they are fresh cut thats why I gotta wear em down before a game. They catch too much for my liking/style of play, learned that the hard way first time I got that cut and didn't get in any stick sessions before a game.

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 04:58 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Sounds like it would help then, just take those first few corners slow (from personal experience...ouch!)

Old
06-14-2010, 04:59 PM
kr580

Send a message via AIM to kr580
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlnjcb View Post
I've skated probably 4 hours worth with it being "too sharp". The thing that annoys me the most is I can't stop with them. Everything else is pretty much fine.
Well nevermind then. Definitely time to try a bit shallower of a hollow.

kr580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 07:43 PM
timekeep

Take them back to where you go them sharpend and tell them that they are too sharp. I'm am sure that they will 'dull' them for you.

timekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 07:59 PM
budster
Schoolyard Puck

You can grind them down on the threshold of where the gate opens to the bench. In the meantime check out this guide to skate sharpening

budster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 08:16 PM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

use a penny and lay it flat on the business part of the blade then slide it up and down once or twice.

I use a 1/2" sharp and I like my skates very sharp. I like them best the day I get them cut.
I know 1/2" slows you down but you should see my turns. hahaha

adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 11:12 PM
BVC

When I get my skates sharpened I do what you see goalies do in their crease before games. Skate side to side in one place several times. Takes enough edge off to stop properly.

BVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 03:52 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueberrydanish View Post
I get a 7/16 cut and if I dont have a session or two before a game to wear em down I will use the metal door handle at the benches as a way to help speed up the process. Works perfect for me =]

Also to the part of stopping, I am the same way at first when they are fresh cut thats why I gotta wear em down before a game. They catch too much for my liking/style of play, learned that the hard way first time I got that cut and didn't get in any stick sessions before a game.
And you, like the OP, need a shallower hollow.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 03:59 PM
blueberrydanish

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
And you, like the OP, need a shallower hollow.
Probably so, I am going for a 1/2 next sharp but thats mostly because a guy Im gonna use now can only do that. I really like the 7/16 besides how sharp it as at first like I said. Besides that I have no performance issues because of the cut.

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote