HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Tampa Making a Strong Pitch for Price?

Closed Thread

Old
06-14-2010, 02:05 PM
BigHabs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
When some notiable writers are suggesting that the Flyers need to offer Carter and a pick, I think the pick from Tampa isn't enough.

Carey Price - G
Montreal's 1st rounder 27th overall

Tampa Bay 1st Rounder 6th overall
Carter Ashton - RW
Dustin Tokarski - G
I wonder if it was possible to get a deal possibly maybe without moving our first though.

I like the fact if we could deal Price and still maintain our pick, possibly:

Tokarski
1st round pick'10

for

Price
Weber/Trotter
2nd round pick'10

This would help us more than picking up Ashton. Reason is we could get in the draft:

6th - Niederreiter, Connolly or take Gudbranson, Gormley and then forward for the late pick.
27th - Petrovic, Nelson

I would like to get a big center and fill Weber's spot in the prospect pool with a big body dman like Petrovic coming out of the west, like an O'byrne.

Last edited by BigHabs: 06-14-2010 at 02:32 PM.
Old
06-14-2010, 02:05 PM
Fire Brunet*

no Vincent Lecavalier mention yet?

Old
06-14-2010, 02:06 PM
goforit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Cross View Post
If TBL offered this, theres no doubt in my mind Habs would jump on it.
could habs add something to get tampas 2nd pick as well?

i doubt that TBL would like to give this up but if they wouldnt want to part with Ashton, i wouldnt mind Downie, a Downie/Ashton size/type of guy is what habs need

i see this trade benefiting both sides habs could grab Sheahan at 6th to play with ashton and draft Jared Knight or Beau Bennet in 2nd round which would be great too see
Did you make a mistake or you're serious? Cause, with what I read, maybe he'll fall to the 2nd. Far from being top10 stuff.

Old
06-14-2010, 02:06 PM
Fire Brunet*

Quote:
Think he may know something a little about players and hockey?
a little maybe

Old
06-14-2010, 02:07 PM
TankEller*

Quote:
Think he may know something a little about players and hockey?
Scotty Bowman also said Don Lever is a great coach, and the guy still hasn't even been considered for an NHL job since the Habs let him go. He might have been successful as a hockey coach, Bowman still doesn't know anything about the reality the Habs are facing, neither has he ever worked with both of them.

You're as big a Price-lover as ScottyG if your arguments come down to this. If Price fetches the best return, and this return makes our team better going forward, there are no reasons for us to decline such a proposal. ESPECIALLY if it involved the 6th overall pick.

Old
06-14-2010, 02:08 PM
Fire Brunet*

Quote:
Originally Posted by goforit View Post
Did you make a mistake or you're serious? Cause, with what I read, maybe he'll fall to the 2nd. Far from being top10 stuff.
Nino FTW

Old
06-14-2010, 02:09 PM
TankEller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosss View Post
a little maybe

He never even worked with Price or Halak... What is he basing his opinion on?

I still can't get over how Halak won't be treated fairly and at least as the equal of Price after all he's done this season.

Old
06-14-2010, 02:10 PM
Metropolitsky
Still 4x more cups

Yeah let's trade Price for the 6th overall pick

but people here probably won't like the bad attitude of that pick

Old
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by benji View Post
One thing the Habs should do is steal Zenon Konopka from the Lightning and the UFA market. Guy is tough as nails, annoying as anyone is the league, will fight and can keep up decently with the pace. I've got a soft spot for former Ottawa 67's too, and many coming from that system with Brian Kilrea know how to play hockey the right way. It'd be a slam dunk in my opinion, even if it's just a minor move in the grand scheme of things.

Pas rapport to the thread, I know, just thought of it with the Lightning and all.
He was a pain in the AHL against the Dogs.

Old
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotsauce514 View Post
If tampa start with their 1st , I would listen.

price vs 6th overall straigh up ?
It's a good starting point for a deal, IMHO. Except, to me, this isn't a really great draft to be picking #6... the value of the pick maybe isn't where it might be in other years... you've got some decent players, and maybe a couple of them will break through and become good top-level players, but it's not really possible from here to know which ones.

Price - when picked - was worth that kind of a pick. Except since then he has only gotten better, validated his draft status, progressed and removed some of the risk factor associated (with any draft pick). (Not all of it, but he has shown IMHO that he is/can/will be at least a decent #1 NHL goalie, still with upside for more than that too).

So to me, it would have to be more than the #6. But it's a solid starting point for talks, anyway.

Old
06-14-2010, 02:11 PM
Craig71

There are many on this board that criticize the Habs drafting ability......but there is no team in the NHL better at developing goalie talent. We always seem to have a great goalie or someone on the way to take the place of guys we already have. I wish management would focus on a big center and a rugged forward to compliment what we have now. Hopefully that is what comes back for either Price or Halak. We need some size at forward and we will be top 5 in the east.

Old
06-14-2010, 02:12 PM
Fire Brunet*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam A Larry View Post
Scotty Bowman also said Don Lever is a great coach, and the guy still hasn't even been considered for an NHL job since the Habs let him go. He might have been successful as a hockey coach, Bowman still doesn't know anything about the reality the Habs are facing, neither has he ever worked with both of them.

You're as big a Price-lover as ScottyG if your arguments come down to this. If Price fetches the best return, and this return makes our team better going forward, there are no reasons for us to decline such a proposal. ESPECIALLY if it involved the 6th overall pick.
Yea but he didnt say "Carey Price is a great goalie"
he warned MTL...
anyways I dont want to see any goalie goes for nothing, I want something BIG and I hope the 6th overall pick is involved
if we can get rid of Hammer in this trade &not sign Plek
and then sign Marleau...

ok ok im out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metropolitsky View Post
Yeah let's trade Price for the 6th overall pick

but people here probably won't like the bad attitude of that pick
He will party too much, I feel it

Old
06-14-2010, 02:18 PM
sukimono

No way they're trading the 6th overall, lols.

Old
06-14-2010, 02:18 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
No, trade Halak and keep Price. Simple as that.
No, trade Price and keep Halak. Simple as that too.

Old
06-14-2010, 02:19 PM
benji
Took too much, man.

Send a message via MSN to benji
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
He was a pain in the AHL against the Dogs.
I guess being the regular season league leader in PIM's will gain you some notoriety, but with only 5 points (about 8 minutes per game over 74 games), he would come cheap enough. Maybe around 1 million, assuming the Habs have to outbid other teams. But with a slightly bigger role, and with the attitude this guy has, in the Kilrea mold, he's the type of player that could improve well past his developmental years. Could well be worth the money and more.

Old
06-14-2010, 02:20 PM
TankEller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
It's a good starting point for a deal, IMHO. Except, to me, this isn't a really great draft to be picking #6... the value of the pick maybe isn't where it might be in other years... you've got some decent players, and maybe a couple of them will break through and become good top-level players, but it's not really possible from here to know which ones.

Price - when picked - was worth that kind of a pick. Except since then he has only gotten better, validated his draft status, progressed and removed some of the risk factor associated (with any draft pick). (Not all of it, but he has shown IMHO that he is/can/will be at least a decent #1 NHL goalie, still with upside for more than that too).

So to me, it would have to be more than the #6. But it's a solid starting point for talks, anyway.
Price might have proven he's capable of playing in the NHL, are you suggesting that, with insight, knowing Halak would progress that much, you still wouldn't have took a guy like Kopitar instead of him?

By dealing Price for the 6th overall pick, we could pick and choose a player who would fit better and actually improve our weaknesses.

I would deal any one of Price or Halak for that pick. Because you know you have a guy capable of playing regularly in the NHL in both of them. Any freaking team in the NHL would deal its 2nd goaltender for the 6th overall pick. If we had the chance of doing so, I would pull the trigger.

Hell, I'd even add our 1st round pick along with one goalie to get that 6th overall pick. Think about the guys we could use. Johansen... Neiderreiter...

Old
06-14-2010, 02:20 PM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Price for Tanguay

Old
06-14-2010, 02:21 PM
Craig71

Price for Mark Recchi straight up.

Old
06-14-2010, 02:22 PM
TankEller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
No, trade Halak and keep Price. Simple as that.
Price has done/proved NOTHING to warrant being kept instead of Halak. If he's the one fetching that kind of return, the team has to deal him. If Halak is the one, same thing.

Old
BigHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukimono View Post
No way they're trading the 6th overall, lols.
I think Tampa will trade it.

They wants to get pieces the past few years and did. They need a franchise goalie going forward who is young and can step in right away and that would be Price or Halak at this point.

They got their pieces for forward and defense in Stamkos, Hedman, and goaltender if this deal was made it would be Price.

3 franchise pieces at each position, forward, defense, and goaltender to build around for years to come. I think they don't need this pick as much as they need a goalie to come in for the #1 role.

Old
Bieber fever

Price vs Nino make sence.

Old
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
I find it a little retarded to trade Price for 6th overall pick straight up.

We got price at 5th, and he isn't a bust, he may end up as a good top 5 pick, and in return, we go back 5 years and have to redevelop a player who may end up a bust and we pick later.

I highly doubt TB wants to let go of 6th, but whatever, honestly, I'd rather get a proven young player than the 6th for the price.

I'd still like JVR from Philly for Price.

Old
06-14-2010, 02:24 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam A Larry View Post
Price has done/proved NOTHING to warrant being kept instead of Halak. If he's the one fetching that kind of return, the team has to deal him. If Halak is the one, same thing.
one season might change your mind, but i doubt people in the buisness have such short sight as most of us here.

Old
06-14-2010, 02:25 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

I would not make any trades with Tampa Bay this year, especially if it involves any prospects. I am positive Boucher has identified the players he wants in his circle and will advise Steve to try and get them.

waffledave
Old
06-14-2010, 02:26 PM
NLHabsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by benji View Post
I guess being the regular season league leader in PIM's will gain you some notoriety, but with only 5 points (about 8 minutes per game over 74 games), he would come cheap enough. Maybe around 1 million, assuming the Habs have to outbid other teams. But with a slightly bigger role, and with the attitude this guy has, in the Kilrea mold, he's the type of player that could improve well past his developmental years. Could well be worth the money and more.
He is a guy I would like to see the Habs go after in the offseason. IIRC he is decent in the FO circle too.

Closed Thread