HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tampa Making a Strong Pitch for Price?

Closed Thread

Old
06-14-2010, 02:26 PM
CoupeStanley

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CoupeStanley
Price
Gomez
Hamrlik

vs

Lecavalier
1st
+ a little something

Someone had to say it.

Old
06-14-2010, 02:27 PM
TankEller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I find it a little retarded to trade Price for 6th overall pick straight up.

We got price at 5th, and he isn't a bust, he may end up as a good top 5 pick, and in return, we go back 5 years and have to redevelop a player who may end up a bust and we pick later.

I highly doubt TB wants to let go of 6th, but whatever, honestly, I'd rather get a proven young player than the 6th for the price.

I'd still like JVR from Philly for Price.
You can't look at it this way.

Goaltending isn't like other positions in hockey. When one guy plays, the other doesn't.

This, and Halak's progression just changes the landscape so much.

I know that, if Gainey knew how good Halak was set to become, he probably wouldn't have taken Price at #5 back in 2005.

However, things change, and now, you have the opportunity to choose a player and try to develop him into something you've lacked for many years, all that by giving a player playing at your deepest position. This is something you just CAN'T overlook. Not with two goalies of that quality.

Old
06-14-2010, 02:28 PM
Max Levine

I'm certainly not hot for Downie. I'm hoping PG will be able to grab a good scorer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
If it was the salary cap would call and say hi.
We got a long way to go still. Lots of potential moves.

Old
06-14-2010, 02:28 PM
TankEller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeStanley View Post
Price
Gomez
Hamrlik

vs

Lecavalier
1st
+ a little something

Someone had to say it.
Why am I not surprised to see a Quebec flag besides your name?

Honestly, LET. IT. GO. with Lecavalier. Yzerman met him. He's not going anywhere. Thanks god.

Old
06-14-2010, 02:30 PM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
When some notiable writers are suggesting that the Flyers need to offer Carter and a pick, I think the pick from Tampa isn't enough.

Carey Price - G
Montreal's 1st rounder 27th overall

Tampa Bay 1st Rounder 6th overall
Carter Ashton - RW
Dustin Tokarski - G
I'd seriously consider that even if i'd be more inclined to trade Halak than Price.

With the 6th we could draft one of Gormley/Gudbranson/Fowler and be set up for years with that pick + Subban as far as puck moving and reliable defensemen are concerned. And then there is Ashton who is a pretty nice power forward prospect and Tokarski who is TB best goalie prospect.

That would be very tempting

Old
06-14-2010, 02:30 PM
tigerman111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam A Larry View Post

Honestly, LET. IT. GO. with Lecavalier. Yzerman met him. He's not going anywhere. Thanks god.
Im pretty sure he was being funny. lighten up geez

Old
06-14-2010, 02:32 PM
Max Levine

Quote:
Originally Posted by benji View Post
One thing the Habs should do is steal Zenon Konopka from the Lightning and the UFA market. Guy is tough as nails, annoying as anyone is the league, will fight and can keep up decently with the pace. I've got a soft spot for former Ottawa 67's too, and many coming from that system with Brian Kilrea know how to play hockey the right way. It'd be a slam dunk in my opinion, even if it's just a minor move in the grand scheme of things.

Pas rapport to the thread, I know, just thought of it with the Lightning and all.
Interesting. Could help on the 4th with Moen/White.

Old
06-14-2010, 02:33 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Levine View Post
I'm certainly not hot for Downie. I'm hoping PG will be able to grab a good scorer.

11 mill for about 8 players.

Old
06-14-2010, 02:33 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Price might have proven he's capable of playing in the NHL, are you suggesting that, with insight, knowing Halak would progress that much, you still wouldn't have took a guy like Kopitar instead of him?
A guy like Kopitar? Or Pouliot? Or Brule maybe? Skille?

Quote:
By dealing Price for the 6th overall pick, we could pick and choose a player who would fit better and actually improve our weaknesses.
Or a guy who is just a fringe/decent player, not an impact player like Price seems likely to be.

That's the whole point about the risk factor. #6 this year gets you uncertainty, and even if it does pan out, it's probably for at least a couple years down the road.

Price is worth a lot more than that right now.

Quote:
Hell, I'd even add our 1st round pick along with one goalie to get that 6th overall pick. Think about the guys we could use. Johansen... Neiderreiter...
Neither of those guys would make our team next season. Even if Price is "just" our backup playing 30 games, he's worth more than they are to us. Having the insurance policy and trade options in our pocket for when teams maybe get a little more desperate is worth waiting for too.

But if you gave me a solid player like Malone, to go along with the 1st (or swap in 1sts), then I'd get interested. If the cap part of it could be figured out.

From the Habs POV, anyway. I still don't really know why the Bolts would want to give up anything at all for Price, Halak, or any other goalie in a trade. Trades for goalies don't make sense to me. I'd just sign somebody until my internal options emerged.

Old
06-14-2010, 02:35 PM
goforit

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamblor506 View Post
I think Tampa will trade it.

They wants to get pieces the past few years and did. They need a franchise goalie going forward who is young and can step in right away and that would be Price or Halak at this point.

They got their pieces for forward and defense in Stamkos, Hedman, and goaltender if this deal was made it would be Price.

3 franchise pieces at each position, forward, defense, and goaltender to build around for years to come. I think they don't need this pick as much as they need a goalie to come in for the #1 role.
You know that the GM is no longer Lawton, right? So past don't tell the futur anymore.

I don't think they'll make dumb trades like they did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Levine View Post

Yeah, I hope we can get more, for sure, but Downie is getting better. He's the kind of player you need on a top6! He's gritty, has talent and is young. Look at his past season. He can score.

Old
06-14-2010, 02:42 PM
CoupeStanley

Send a message via MSN to CoupeStanley
Quote:

1) I'm not really holding by breath and I was joking.

2) It's a Martinique flag, it's missing the awesomely pretty Fleur de lys.

3) It's a thread on a Internet forum based on a rumour posted on a highly unreliable website. Our crap is equally crappy.

Old
06-14-2010, 02:45 PM
TankEller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
A guy like Kopitar? Or Pouliot? Or Brule maybe? Skille?

Or a guy who is just a fringe/decent player, not an impact player like Price seems likely to be.

That's the whole point about the risk factor. #6 this year gets you uncertainty, and even if it does pan out, it's probably for at least a couple years down the road.

Price is worth a lot more than that right now.

Neither of those guys would make our team next season. Even if Price is "just" our backup playing 30 games, he's worth more than they are to us. Having the insurance policy and trade options in our pocket for when teams maybe get a little more desperate is worth waiting for too.

But if you gave me a solid player like Malone, to go along with the 1st (or swap in 1sts), then I'd get interested. If the cap part of it could be figured out.

From the Habs POV, anyway. I still don't really know why the Bolts would want to give up anything at all for Price, Halak, or any other goalie in a trade. Trades for goalies don't make sense to me. I'd just sign somebody until my internal options emerged.
If either of those players evolved to their full potential, you know damn right they'd be more useful than a goalie who has started one game in last season's playoffs.

This is nothing against Price. But knowing Halak is capable of being great and of playing in those #1 shoes, I wonder why people wouldn't deal Price - or any of our goalies for that matter - for a guy that could potentially be the guy we've been looking for in the last DECADES. This is a deal that could potentially be a cornerstone in the retooling of our franchise, and in the process of making it a top-tier team in the NHL.

Not dealing Price for the 6th overall pick would be crazy at that point. So would be not dealing Halak for the same package.

Old
06-14-2010, 02:46 PM
Canadian_Brewtality

which host said this anyway? Mckenna?

same guy who said Emelin was coming to the habs

yep

Old
06-14-2010, 02:48 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Scotty Bowman also said Don Lever is a great coach, and the guy still hasn't even been considered for an NHL job since the Habs let him go. He might have been successful as a hockey coach, Bowman still doesn't know anything about the reality the Habs are facing, neither has he ever worked with both of them.

You're as big a Price-lover as ScottyG if your arguments come down to this. If Price fetches the best return, and this return makes our team better going forward, there are no reasons for us to decline such a proposal. ESPECIALLY if it involved the 6th overall pick.
I like Price and believe he has a lot of potential. Saying that I also like Halak as well as he has proven his worth this past season and playoffs.

Would Price net a higher return, probably as he is a young goalie with a lot of potential.

Halak would also net some good return as well as he has shown he can play.

I would rather keep Price as I know he is going to be a great goalie, but unfortunately it may take place in another organization.

Am I not allowed to think that???

Yes I am.

Did I not make a proposal with Price involved for the 6th overall???

I believe I did.

Old
06-14-2010, 02:49 PM
durojean

I'm pretty sure that if there's a trade involving tampa bay and montreal.

David Desharnais or Brock Trotter will be included and if it happens. I am gonna be MAD. !!

Old
06-14-2010, 02:50 PM
NLHabsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ground And Pound View Post
I'd seriously consider that even if i'd be more inclined to trade Halak than Price.

With the 6th we could draft one of Gormley/Gudbranson/Fowler and be set up for years with that pick + Subban as far as puck moving and reliable defensemen are concerned. And then there is Ashton who is a pretty nice power forward prospect and Tokarski who is TB best goalie prospect.

That would be very tempting
Ya I think this is the most interesting proposal I've seen yet. The Habs can't take any more big contracts. Ashton (though still a ways away) would be a very good fit for the organization and Tokarski is a good young goalie to continue to develop. And I think the 3 dmen will go 3-4-5 I would be very happy with the pick being Connolly. I think he has high end potential.

Old
06-14-2010, 02:51 PM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosss View Post
Nino FTW
If it's 6th Overall I want some Derek Forbort up in hur

Old
06-14-2010, 02:53 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Price has done/proved NOTHING to warrant being kept instead of Halak. If he's the one fetching that kind of return, the team has to deal him. If Halak is the one, same thing.
I don't get how you can say Price has proven nothing, Halak had a strong showing and good playoff...I don't want to trade Price on one good season (Halak) with Price being the fuel to his fire and drive.

With no Price there how will Halak play, will he have that same fear of losing the top spot to a younger goalie hungry for that spot?

If he falters and Price is gone we are screwed.

It is funny how some people here can't like Price, but you can ooze passion and a crazy man crush for Halak?

Last edited by RE-HABS: 06-14-2010 at 03:00 PM.
Old
06-14-2010, 02:54 PM
NLHabsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by durojean View Post
I'm pretty sure that if there's a trade involving tampa bay and montreal.

David Desharnais or Brock Trotter will be included and if it happens. I am gonna be MAD. !!
Why? As long as the Habs get good pieces in return to strengthen the team/prospect pool it would be fine.

They're both fine players but the last thing the Habs need are more small skilled forwards.

Old
06-14-2010, 02:57 PM
Theosis
11, 27, 31, 67, 76 ♥

vCash: 50
Lecavalier!

Old
06-14-2010, 02:59 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
If either of those players evolved to their full potential, you know damn right they'd be more useful than a goalie who has started one game in last season's playoffs.

This is nothing against Price.
But knowing Halak is capable of being great and of playing in those #1 shoes, I wonder why people wouldn't deal Price - or any of our goalies for that matter - for a guy that could potentially be the guy we've been looking for in the last DECADES. This is a deal that could potentially be a cornerstone in the retooling of our franchise, and in the process of making it a top-tier team in the NHL.

Not dealing Price for the 6th overall pick would be crazy at that point. So would be not dealing Halak for the same package.
So it nothing against Price, but you totally say he is useless cause he had one start in the playoffs and that a 18 year old "may be better" than a guy who has already made the NHL and has shown he can be a #1 goalie???

Your arguments are so flawed = fail, massively.

Old
06-14-2010, 02:59 PM
Pleky Roks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarfangor View Post
appearently on the team990 one of the hosts said Tampa Was making a strong pitch for Price, one of his sources was the 4th period, and said that Tampa is putting a very strong enticing package.

Anyone hear this? if its Price for St.Louis no ****ing way.

Price + Hamrlik

for

Malone + Downie

I wouldn't even talk to the Lightning unless they started with a proposal like this.

The money works out pretty decent, Tampa gets a veteran defensemen for Hedman to learn from, they get a #1 goalie and Montreal gets 2 big, gritty wingers that can play on the top 2 lines and Subban fills Hamrliks spot on defence and gives us another right-handed shot.

Old
06-14-2010, 03:01 PM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

If we get their first round picks, i hope that Gudbranson will fall to us!

Old
06-14-2010, 03:03 PM
NLHabsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
So it nothing against Price, but you totally say he is useless cause he had one start in the playoffs and that a 18 year old "may be better" than a guy who has already made the NHL and has shown he can be a #1 goalie???

Your arguments are so flawed = fail, massively.
I believe his argument is getting guys with high end potential for the future to help strengthen the organization for Price who is (as of right now) playing behind Halak. He is not going to help the team win sitting on the bench. This is not a knock against Price, he is a good young goalie who is going to get better.

Old
06-14-2010, 03:03 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:

This is nothing against Price. But knowing Halak is capable of being great and of playing in those #1 shoes, I wonder why people wouldn't deal Price - or any of our goalies for that matter - for a guy that could potentially be the guy we've been looking for in the last DECADES. This is a deal that could potentially be a cornerstone in the retooling of our franchise, and in the process of making it a top-tier team in the NHL.

Well, I don't know if it's just people on this site placing premium focus on prospects, or what... but to me you just outlined exactly why we couldn't possibly make this deal. It all begins with the letters "I F".

The odds of getting a cornerstone franchise player at #6 in this year's draft are small IMHO. The odds of getting a marginal/mini-bust kind of player (like the aforementioned Pouliot types) are higher than those of getting a cornerstone player. I'd rather trade Halak or Price for something else if I was going to trade one. Or at least mitigate those odds by also getting a solid present-tense player like Malone in addition to the pick.

And if such a deal wasn't available this year (I don't think it would be)... I would be very content to just sit back and see if it became available later... mid-season when some team loses a goalie to injury... trade deadline... next year's draft. We don't have to be in any hurry. Eventually the clock will run out and we'll have to move one, but there's no pressure to do it now. Especially not if the only thing we'd be getting back was futures that wouldn't play for us immediately.

Closed Thread