HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Burke: No Kovalchuk for Leafs

Old
06-14-2010, 03:47 PM
glucker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaryshuskies View Post
Yes, but what if Toronto finished (lets say 8th) and got the 15th pick, and finished (lets say 6th next year) and got the 19th pick.. Who would have won the deal then?
and what if Seguin never becomes a 30 goal scorer like Kessel, and turns out not to be as good?

What happens if the Leafs win the cup with Kessel before Boston wins it with Seguin?

lots of what-ifs. the outcome of this trade won't be known for some time

glucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 03:48 PM
Samsquanch
Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaryshuskies View Post
Yes, but what if Toronto finished (lets say 8th) and got the 15th pick, and finished (lets say 6th next year) and got the 19th pick.. Who would have won the deal then?
Thats alot of hypothetical ifs my friend. Im sorry but your as foolish (or blind with blue) as Burke if you believe last years Leafs team was playoff bound. Thats what this comes down to for me.

That team looked bad on paper, and even worse on ice. It didnt take an expert to see or predict how this would turn out.

Signing Kovalchuk to big money long term would not surprise me in the least, as Burke doesnt think hes far off. Maybe in the end hes right and Im wrong, but if we are keeping tabs im up 1-0 after the debacle that was last season

Samsquanch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 03:53 PM
sparxx87

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgyotes View Post
That sentence describes Phil Kessel to a T...
Ok, let me rephrase that. They will not contain one dimensional players making 9-10m.

A 22 year old back to back 30 goal Phil Kessel at 5.5 + a 3-4m player>>9-10m/per Kovalchuk

sparxx87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 03:56 PM
Samsquanch
Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparxx87 View Post
Ok, let me rephrase that. They will not contain one dimensional players making 9-10m.

A 22 year old back to back 30 goal Phil Kessel at 5.5 + a 3-4m player>>9-10m/per Kovalchuk
But still not really a Burkie kinda player right? Why did he go out on such a limb for this kid?

Samsquanch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 03:58 PM
outofrange

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLeafs View Post
A lot of Leaf fans smoke home grown weed. Please excuse them for being delusional. As for LA fans being certain that Kovy's going there...well is LA willing to offer a 3 year 42m deal with little income tax?
Very few LA fans are certain of anything, especially getting Kovalchuk. The media outlets and blogs keep on pimping LA more than anything. We feel like DL might not sign any of the big name players and just make smaller trades to fill up some holes.

I've got a feeling that he might not go to Russia but the team he ends up on might be a surprise. I actually think he might just go back to Atlanta as crazy as that sounds.

outofrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 04:03 PM
sickest flow bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Sambo View Post
Thats alot of hypothetical ifs my friend. Im sorry but your as foolish (or blind with blue) as Burke if you believe last years Leafs team was playoff bound. Thats what this comes down to for me.

That team looked bad on paper, and even worse on ice. It didnt take an expert to see or predict how this would turn out.

Signing Kovalchuk to big money long term would not surprise me in the least, as Burke doesnt think hes far off. Maybe in the end hes right and Im wrong, but if we are keeping tabs im up 1-0 after the debacle that was last season
To me Colorado looked bad on PAPER too..look how that turned out. The deal wasnt for the 2nd overall pick which most leaf-bashers fail to understand. Who knows what Seguin will even do in the NHL. He could never make it, or he could be a 50 goal scorer. Maybe you are mad you didn't get the same return for Heatley..I mean a second liner and an AHLer whos about to be a cap hit in a buyout is a decent return

sickest flow bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 04:05 PM
sparxx87

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Sambo View Post
But still not really a Burkie kinda player right? Why did he go out on such a limb for this kid?
Because clearly he sees a lot of potential.

I'm not gonna sit here and try and justify the trade because I didn't like it from day one. Nothing against Kessel, but I just think it was too much to pay, and this was before we knew where the picks would be.....With that said, we got a great young player and there is no denying Kessel's offensive ability, and at 22 years old-potential.

This thread is about Kovalchuk, so trolls can go derail another thread with Kessel bashing.

sparxx87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 05:30 PM
93gilmour93

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
burke sending more bullcrap through the media. he's interested in ilya.

93gilmour93 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 05:39 PM
Moobles

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93gilmour93 View Post
burke sending more bullcrap through the media. he's interested in ilya.
o...m...GGGGGG WHAT TO BELIEVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?

Moobles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 06:02 PM
GE0

Go with the direct quote from Burke.

The children playing EA Sports, feel free to ignore.

GE0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 06:06 PM
MountainGoat
McDavid/Eichel

not sure why people thought Kovy would end up in Toronto to begin with, he's already said he wont play or live in Canada because of the media

MountainGoat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 06:20 PM
93gilmour93

lets put it this way. i'm sure we can agree that burke is a smart man when it comes to the media, now there has been talk in kovalchuk would play in toronto and some that say he wouldn't. for a moment lets say he does want to play in toronto and burke has heard through the grapevine he wants to play there. without tampering he says he will not sign him for the $9 million a year he's reportedly looking for. the only players deserving of that are crosby/ovechkin. the whole contract thing with atlanta was a bunch of smoke and mirrors. he just didn't want to play there. if he wanted the money and a small market to play in there it was and he turned it down. he gets traded to a much better team with the devils , a team that makes the playoffs year after year,multiple stanley cups , martin brodeur , a small market and yet no contract extension. kovalchuk says he's going to july 1st. he takes burke's comment as if i take 7 - 7.5 for 5 years i can play in the biggest market of them all,TORONTO.

he turned down big money in small markets 1} atlanta 2} new jersey. because he wants the big market spotlight.

july 1st kovalchuk will be a leaf

Old
06-14-2010, 06:20 PM
sickest flow bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie1987 View Post
not sure why people thought Kovy would end up in Toronto to begin with, he's already said he wont play or live in Canada because of the media
And the gold medal

sickest flow bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 06:25 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Kovalchuk wouldn't make the Leafs a winner. I'm glad Burke isn't going to pursue this guy and his Crosby/Ovechkin/Malkin-like salary demands

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 07:42 PM
Shinsuke Nakamura
King of Strong Style

Quote:
he turned down big money in small markets 1} atlanta 2} new jersey. because he wants the big market spotlight.

july 1st kovalchuk will be a leaf
He also wants to win.

Shinsuke Nakamura is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 07:52 PM
gotmonte

The Leafs are the NEW Rangers. Remember when EVER player was rumored to go to the Rangers. No matter what the cost, who the player. Small, big, medium. Didnt matter. Someone on the block was always the BIG RUMOR TO THE RANGERS.

Now the Leafs seem to be that Team. Every player is "rumored" to go to the leafs.

About time ONE player is NOT on the fans list of "rumored" players coming to Toronto. It used to ANNOY the hell out of me when everyone said the rangers were going after everyone. I wonder how the "real" Leafs fans feel about all the b.s rumors.

Anyways, that was a TAD off topic. Good for Burkie not going after a huge cap hit in Kovy. Stay the course leafs fans. I see good things for you in the not so distant future if you stick to the cheaper guys. But ENOUGH with the "player 'X' is a BURKE TYPE PLAYER". Thats getting annoying now. Not EVERY PLAYER on your team needs to be a third line grinder or wanting that 4th line grinder.

Just my opinion though. And I am sure it is worth squat to most people.

I see LA for Kovy or even the Devils.

gotmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 08:03 PM
93gilmour93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary Habs Fan View Post
He also wants to win.
then why hasn't he signed with the devils. they are a top team in the east that has a shot every year.no room in wash or pit so why not stay with the devil's

Old
06-14-2010, 08:07 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
then why hasn't he signed with the devils. they are a top team in the east that has a shot every year.no room in wash or pit so why not stay with the devil's
Because Marty isn't going to play forever and who do they have as a replacement in the foreseeable future?

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 08:26 PM
Kamal007
A$VP

Ah, would have been nice to have Kovalchuk in Toronto but realistically speaking, I think we all knew that we couldn't get him and would probably be smarter not to get him.

Kamal007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 08:26 PM
Hertl Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobermay View Post
There has been a couple articles written months ago, saying there is no current tension between Marleau and WIlson. Marleau has said that he'd enjoy playing for Ron Wilson again, and Wilson said the same about Marleau
Marleau is not the kind of guy that says much to the media. If he had a problem with a guy he would keep his mouth shut about it and say everything is perfectly fine. He is too nice a guy to go to the media and badmouth anyone. RW tossed marleau under the bus at every chance he could and changed the lines whenever he was developing chemistry with his linemates.

So sure he may say he would play for RW again, but I doubt he is telling the truth.

Hertl Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 08:29 PM
ComeAtMeBro*

I dont need ESPN too know Burke would not be interested in Kovalchuk... Seems pretty obvious too me.

ComeAtMeBro* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 08:32 PM
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatterson View Post
This is why Burke is the greatest GM to ever live
yeah he sure fleeced boston on the kessel raask deals

Oilmageddon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 08:35 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Belvedere View Post
The Leafs are an absolute mess. I see things getting slightly better for 1, maybe 2 seaons, then the wheels will come off again and the team will be worse off than it currently is.

Throwing away draft picks has abolutely decimated this franchise. They are 4 years into a rebuild and it's already time for another rebuild. You can't keep pissing away draft picks.
you are confusing a rebuild with plain sucking. The Leafs have only been openly rebuilding for 18 months. Before that they were still trading first rounders for Toskala.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
93gilmour93

Quote:
Originally Posted by oils4hallseyesonly View Post
he didn't make the rask deal

Old
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by oils4hallseyesonly View Post
Burke had nothing to do with the Rask trade.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote