HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Rumor Thread--Kings Rumor Mill IV

Closed Thread

Old
06-14-2010, 08:44 AM
Kingler

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
But any LAK fans that wants the team to go out and buy Kovey--they need to get a grip. Dean L is building the team properly and going out and tossing big money at a UFA is not a good thing.
The Kings will sign an UFA eventually. Whether its this year or whenever Dean feels its necessary. Actually, he tried tossing "big money" at Hossa this past summer but was unsuccessful

The question then is why not now? Why not sign Kovalchuk for $8m now? Why wait for an inferior UFA that the Kings would probably have to pay more money to? The lack of increase in cap has create problem for team to compete for top UFA. You wait a few years and you are liable to sign a player like Chris Drury for $9m-$10m. And the team with Kovy for $8-$9m would be laughing all the way to the bank

Also Kovalchuk is an oddity. There is virtually no UFA of his calibor and age for the next few years. All these long term contracts have dried up Unrestricted Free Agency for the foreseeable. THe next best UFA may be 2012 when Crosby, Getzlaf (who will probably resign), and Iginla (who will be gazillion years old) will be available.

People think Kovalchuk is a short term solution that would ruin the future because we won't be able to sign our RFA. But to the contrary, if you actually predict our player budget (with realistic cap increase), you would see that Kovalchuk fits very well

Old
06-14-2010, 11:06 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLB View Post
A. Philly is at the cap but their trouble is no where near Chicago's....imo Philly isn't in the "trouble" Chicago is.

B. It isn't a IF they drop half their roster its a When they drop half their roster...its happening, and the Hawks might have to eat 5mil+ in the minors (Huet)....do you think AEG would do that??

C. Ask Tampa or Calgary or Carolina or New Jersey or Ottawa or Edmonton if they thought they would get back....You never know what is gonna happen with teams.....after the Ducks won the cup they look set for years then Lowe makes an offer, they get in cap trouble and have to trade ppl, and boom they are the 8 seed one year and don't make the playoffs the next.

D. So let me reiterate...to get to the cup your most likely going to have to spend the cap...but spending cap space for the sake of "using" it doesn't make sense especially if you are getting glutenous now only to starve in the future. The were not spending were not trying philosophy really doesn't hold a lot of water with me....it's just one of many ways to build a team.
I love this guy.

Old
06-14-2010, 11:13 AM
onlyalad

I think the Kings will make an offer to Kovy, but he will look at the money in Russia plus being assured of playing in the 2014 Olympics and leave. The Kings will then look at adding a couple of mid level forwards and a character D-man to replace OD.

As much as we all want the superstar history has shown that DL will take the slow, safe route and say that the biggest improvement this team needs is for the players to look at themselves and say "what can I do better?"

I hope I am wrong.

Old
06-14-2010, 02:21 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
https://twitter.com/Real_ESPNLeBrun

Quote:
Devils and Kovalchuk still talking but he's headed to market. Brian Burke told me today Leafs won't be involved in Kovalchuk sweepskates
Quote:
LA still makes most sense to me for Kovalchuk. KHL's Medvedev also wants him but he also has to wait until July 1 to get an answer ...
Quote:
Kovalchuk doing right thing by weighting all options July 1. Still time to get back to Devils and Medvedev July 1 once all is on the table
Quote:
I've got a Kovalchuk blog coming later here's what Burke told me today: ``We’re not going to be involved in that race,” Burke said of Kovy.

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Old
06-14-2010, 04:40 PM
two out of three*

Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
It sounds like he's coming here and I'm definitely excited. Super pumped about our chances next year IF Kovy does get here.

Old
06-14-2010, 05:00 PM
nki

Quote:
Unless Kovalchuk gets lowballed on the NHL market July 1, which I doubt, I predict he stays in the NHL and politely turns down Medvedev's generosity.

I view the Los Angeles Kings as a prime landing spot for him. They have the cap space to accommodate his salary, they're a team on the rise, and there are people high up in the organization who view him as the missing piece in terms of star appeal.

A year ago, the rising Chicago Blackhawks added Marian Hossa to an already-stocked roster. This would be a similar move by a Kings team poised to take that next step toward Stanley Cup contention.

The thing is, I believe Kings GM Dean Lombardi also has an interest in Patrick Marleau should the veteran forward not re-sign in San Jose. (I think the Sharks want to keep Marleau if the money is right.)
http://espn.go.com/nhl/blog/_/name/l...s-gauge-market

Uh-oh. Hopefully that people high up in organization is not Leiweke...

Old
06-14-2010, 05:41 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by nki View Post
http://espn.go.com/nhl/blog/_/name/l...s-gauge-market

Uh-oh. Hopefully that people high up in organization is not Leiweke...
Yeah, the idiot thinks star power is all it's about. Leiweke just shutup and let Dean do his job.

Old
06-14-2010, 06:54 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Just like you guys are saying, I think Marleau is the DL guy. But pressure from Lieweekly could lead to him getting into a bidding war that he doesn't want.

Old
06-14-2010, 06:56 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Yeah, the idiot thinks star power is all it's about. Leiweke just shutup and let Dean do his job.
Leiweke is wrapped up in star power in soccer and thinks it's going to transfer to hockey. I think it just might this time.

Personally, Marleau or Kovy are going to be good fits.

Old
06-14-2010, 07:18 PM
KingLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Leiweke is wrapped up in star power in soccer and thinks it's going to transfer to hockey. I think it just might this time.

Personally, Marleau or Kovy are going to be good fits.
The sad part is, he might not have learned....I mean how well did the "Star Power" work out for the Galaxy...(on the field that is, financially MLS made out well)

Old
06-14-2010, 07:24 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLB View Post
The sad part is, he might not have learned....I mean how well did the "Star Power" work out for the Galaxy...(on the field that is, financially MLS made out well)
For ever miss there is a hit,

Miss: Ruud, Lalas
Hit: Arena, Donovan

Beckham was good for the league but bad for the team. Plus his star power mentallity has worked for the Galaxy for a long time. Cobi, Cienfuegos, etc, etc.

Old
06-14-2010, 09:37 PM
two out of three*

Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
Marleau is NOT the guy. I'm sorry, he's just not. If we add Marleau and NOT Kovalchuk.. Come on. One of these things is without a shadow of a doubt better than the other.

Old
06-14-2010, 09:39 PM
two out of three*

Another thing.. A part of it on the business end IS about star power and in this case the Star Power Player is BETTER than the other guy..

Old
06-15-2010, 01:10 AM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I will be happy if either Kovalchuk or Marleau are signed here. Obviously, I want Kovy but I will definitely settle for Patty. . .

Old
06-15-2010, 08:01 AM
Youngblood93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutty Sarkn3ss View Post
I will be happy if either Kovalchuk or Marleau are signed here. Obviously, I want Kovy but I will definitely settle for Patty. . .
I agree with you 100%

Old
06-15-2010, 08:59 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by two out of three View Post
Another thing.. A part of it on the business end IS about star power and in this case the Star Power Player is BETTER than the other guy..
Who around here gives a **** about the business end? Win games and the business end will be fine. And yeah, one player has proven that he is better than the other at that. For those of you that want to say Marleau hasn't done it, name the only San Jose forward that showed up in the series against Chicago.

I'm not saying that Kovalchuk can't become a winner. I just don't want to fund that experiment to the tune of $8M - $9M a season cap hit, and I don't think Lombardi will either.

Old
06-15-2010, 09:10 AM
saintsnsoldiers
The Nolanator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KopitarFAN View Post
Just like you guys are saying, I think Marleau is the DL guy. But pressure from Lieweekly could lead to him getting into a bidding war that he doesn't want.
What scares me is if we don't get STAR power soon, I can see Lieweekly having this team on the move. It would suck to root for the KC Kings. We need to fill seats. Kovy gets that done I guess.

Old
06-15-2010, 09:48 AM
Defgarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsnsoldiers View Post
What scares me is if we don't get STAR power soon, I can see Lieweekly having this team on the move. It would suck to root for the KC Kings. We need to fill seats. Kovy gets that done I guess.
wha? Even when we sucked more than a hoover, we still managed to be decent in attendance. Now that the team is winning, attendance will be fine.

I REALLY doubt anyone in ownership has even entertained the idea of moving this team. The team isn't in any trouble financially, and we've seen how badly the NHL hates teams moving, even when they probably should.

The Kings are going nowhere (well, geographically).

Old
06-15-2010, 10:06 AM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Who around here gives a **** about the business end? Win games and the business end will be fine. And yeah, one player has proven that he is better than the other at that. For those of you that want to say Marleau hasn't done it, name the only San Jose forward that showed up in the series against Chicago.

I'm not saying that Kovalchuk can't become a winner. I just don't want to fund that experiment to the tune of $8M - $9M a season cap hit, and I don't think Lombardi will either.
Marleau never scored more than 57 points until Joe Thornton became a Shark. He also has a tendency to go on long scoring droughts.

You think signing a guy like that, to a long 7M+ per year contract isn't risky?

Kovalchuk at 8M is the less risky option IMO.

Old
06-15-2010, 10:42 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
Marleau never scored more than 57 points until Joe Thornton became a Shark. He also has a tendency to go on long scoring droughts.

You think signing a guy like that, to a long 7M+ per year contract isn't risky?

Kovalchuk at 8M is the less risky option IMO.
Marleau isn't going to come here with a cap hit of more than $6M or he won't be here.

There is a ton of risk with Kovalchuk at $8M

Old
06-15-2010, 11:02 AM
johnjm22

The only way we get Marleau for under six million is if he signs a Hossa style contract, and I don't see that happening.

Kovy is 3 years younger so that type of deal makes more sense for him.

If the difference between the two players is 1M-1.5M per year, Kovalchuk is much lower risk IMO.

Old
06-15-2010, 11:12 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

Yeah I don't get why kovy is a risk if you consider marleau a sure thing. They both carry question marks. He'll patty m may even carry a curse!

Old
06-15-2010, 11:45 AM
DeeMeck

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by two out of three View Post
Yup...peoeple will be happy with a Marleau signing as a step forward. Nothing earth-shattering though. atl east for me.

Signing Kovy will sell alot more season ticket packages.

Old
06-15-2010, 11:52 AM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Yeah I don't get why kovy is a risk if you consider marleau a sure thing. They both carry question marks. He'll patty m may even carry a curse!
You know what you're going to get with Kovalchuk.

Marleau is a bigger question mark. He's had bouts of inconsistency, and has never been able to put up prolific numbers with out high end talent around him. He's also 3 years older than Kovy.

Old
06-15-2010, 11:52 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
I don't think Marleau is a sure thing if he signs with the Kings. Marleau does improve the Kings immediately and still leaves plenty of space for more additions. He doesn't come here unless it is on a Hossa-like deal. Don't see why Marleau wouldn't want to sign a contract like that. He gets paid up front and the team gets the cap space. It's a win/win.

Anyway as I said in another thread I am hoping the first option is some kind of trade with Chicago, and that could happen before July 1.

Closed Thread