HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers Unhappy with JVR?

Old
06-14-2010, 05:19 PM
JCameron418

vCash: 500
You know Mike Richards only had 34 points in his rookie season. I guess we should have traded him away after that.

JCameron418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 05:32 PM
JonnyGaloshes

JVR needs:

1. Confidence - Whenever he scores (flukes included) he seems to go into beast mode. BeastVR has the potential to take over games. He's come close a few times this year.

2. To study film of his playing - This isn't peewees anymore, James. He has a lot of tricksy little dangles, but many of them just don't work at this level. He'll figure this out over time.

3. To grow into his body - A summer of raw eggs and medicine balls would do him just fine. He'll go from Shawn Bradley to Shaq soon enough...just give him a year or two.

JonnyGaloshes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 05:43 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyGaloshes View Post
JVR needs:
Time to adjust to more than 33 games a year. He averaged 33.5 games per season in two years of college.

He played 99 games this year; 3 seasons worth for him.

He was the leading rookie for PPG even without PP time and with very little ice time for the first 1/3rd of it.

You do the math...

NOTE: He scored 19 points in his first 21 games (October/November) before shutting down in December. It's easy to forget how awesome he was early in the year after such a long season.

Last edited by CS: 06-14-2010 at 05:51 PM.
CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 05:48 PM
Broad st phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
Take it with a grain of salt considering the source, but last night on Sports Final Howard Eskin said the Flyers may move JVR because they are unhappy with him and his style of play.
It's howard eskin, the dude complains if his ice cream is cold.

Broad st phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 05:53 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Moron. Is all i can say.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 05:58 PM
decadentia

I'd love to see JVR beef up as well, a la Carter.

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 07:01 PM
treeman

to quote another poster on a different board:

What Eskin knows about the Flyers can fit in an ants *******.

treeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 07:21 PM
dgaspari

i am not a howard eskin fan but he is tuned in to what is happening in the phila sport scene.

i believe Sam Carchidi has said the same thing on his on-line chats on philly .com

dgaspari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 07:53 PM
bauer

total bs. no one should believe a word of that. it was his first year, he will only get better.

bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 07:53 PM
kmblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post

kmblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 08:04 PM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgaspari View Post
i am not a howard eskin fan but he is tuned in to what is happening in the phila sport scene.

i believe Sam Carchidi has said the same thing on his on-line chats on philly .com
Sorry, but I wouldn't believe a word they say. Sad to say, but the only guys I trust are Hockeybuzz (to some extent) and then the CSN/WIP people like Morganti, but he never lets rumors fly anyway. The rumor comes from Eskin, so it's crap, and the rumor itself is hilariously dumb.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 08:20 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by might2mash View Post
Sorry, but I wouldn't believe a word they say. Sad to say, but the only guys I trust are Hockeybuzz (to some extent) and then the CSN/WIP people like Morganti, but he never lets rumors fly anyway. The rumor comes from Eskin, so it's crap, and the rumor itself is hilariously dumb.
SanFilippo (http://twitter.com/anthonysan37) and CSN (after everyone already knows, but they confirm it).

That's pretty much it.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 08:21 PM
TheDrizzle81

Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
Eskin sucks more than Eklund.

TheDrizzle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 10:03 PM
teegale
Hartnell Down!

I'd hope the Flyers give him more than a single season to show what he's got.

teegale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 10:22 PM
clodejirew

would you guys do a Jonathon Bernier for JVR swap?

clodejirew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 10:27 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by GilbertsGuns View Post
would you guys do a Jonathon Bernier for JVR swap?
Possibly. If I were open to trading JVR for a goalie, there are guys I would look at before Bernier though. If I had a gun to my head and were being forced to trade JVR for a goalie, I'd add a bit to him in order to get Price before I would trade for Bernier straight up.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 10:33 PM
clodejirew

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
Possibly. If I were open to trading JVR for a goalie, there are guys I would look at before Bernier though. If I had a gun to my head and were being forced to trade JVR for a goalie, I'd add a bit to him in order to get Price before I would trade for Bernier straight up.
I would be happy to have either goalie on the team but, I think that Bernier may have more upside than Price, seeing as Price has been in the league 3 years, broke down in the playoffs and hasn't done anything really remarkable. Bernier was a beast in the AHL and impressed in the few starts he had for the Kings.

clodejirew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 11:02 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
I would be happy to have either goalie on the team but, I think that Bernier may have more upside than Price, seeing as Price has been in the league 3 years, broke down in the playoffs and hasn't done anything really remarkable. Bernier was a beast in the AHL and impressed in the few starts he had for the Kings.
Carey Price is only 22 and Jonathan Bernier has done very little against NHL competition. I don't think that means Price is a guaranteed superstar in-the-making or that Bernier won't be able to hack it...but c'mon man. To try and use Bernier and Price's track records as an argument in Bernier's favor is a big reach. If Bernier was asked to do everything Price has been, from the time Price was Bernier's age up to now...it would be considered a success if he did as well as Price has.

Last edited by Giroux tha Damaja: 06-14-2010 at 11:08 PM.
Old
06-14-2010, 11:22 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
I think someone needs to change the tags from rumor to news article.
It was Howard Eskin for God sakes. he is about as clueless as they come.

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 11:28 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Carey Price is only 22 and Jonathan Bernier has done very little against NHL competition. I don't think that means Price is a guaranteed superstar in-the-making or that Bernier won't be able to hack it...but c'mon man. To try and use Bernier and Price's track records as an argument in Bernier's favor is a big reach. If Bernier was asked to do everything Price has been, from the time Price was Bernier's age up to now...it would be considered a success if he did as well as Price has.
Being average even at a young age doesnt mean success. What if he continues to do the same he has done in the past for the next 3 years? Do you still wait for him to turn into a franchise goaltender? How about 5-7 years? He is turning 23 in a few months. The "he is young" argument is gonna run out soon unless he steps his game up.

I do agree that the word franchise gets thrown around here to much, for JVR and Price.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 11:39 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Jonathan Bernier is going to end up being a better goaltender then Carey Price.

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 12:21 AM
decadentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Being average even at a young age doesnt mean success. What if he continues to do the same he has done in the past for the next 3 years? Do you still wait for him to turn into a franchise goaltender? How about 5-7 years? He is turning 23 in a few months. The "he is young" argument is gonna run out soon unless he steps his game up.

I do agree that the word franchise gets thrown around here to much, for JVR and Price.
Goalies generally take a bit more time to come into their own, and him getting out of Montreal I think could help his game considerably. I think your question is a bit leading, clearly no one would want a goalie that is simply average over his career. A young goaltender competing with decent stats however shows promise.

Quote:
Price has performed quite well for a goalie his age (feel free to compare). To say he's achieved nothing while Bernier has in the AHL is laughable at best. I'm not arguing that Bernier doesn't have more potential, but I would say Price is the safer bet at this point. I only say that because Bernier hasn't had much of a chance to prove himself in the NHL yet, I hope that changes soon because personally I like his game.

So I would agree that if we're trading JVR, let's go for the sure shot (average goalie at worst) instead of the possible dud. Though again, I do think he's legit, but i've seen amazing goalie prospects before fall short.

Last edited by decadentia: 06-15-2010 at 12:34 AM.
Old
06-15-2010, 12:38 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
Being average even at a young age doesnt mean success. What if he continues to do the same he has done in the past for the next 3 years?
Like Decadentia said, this is bit of a leading question, which in and of itself isn't unfair, but it is leading from the premise that Carey Price has only been average, which I disagree with. By what standard has Carey Price been average? I think he has been good.

So to answer your question, if that happens then I think you have a legitimate NHL starter playing in Philadelphia for 7 years. If we had Carey Price in nets this year, we would've been at a parade yesterday (only my opinion obviously). Never mind the caliber of goalie I think he could turn in to, he is good now.

Quote:
Do you still wait for him to turn into a franchise goaltender? How about 5-7 years? He is turning 23 in a few months. The "he is young" argument is gonna run out soon unless he steps his game up.
The "he is young argument" isn't being presented as an excuse for subpar play. Carey Price's play has been, by-and-large, just fine. I don't see why he necessarily needs to "step up his play". When I mention his youth, that is me saying why I think he has the potential to reach full-on pimp status, not making a plea for patience while he gets it together.

Quote:
For sure. There are fewer true franchise-making talents than there are franchises in the league IMO, yet on HFB every team seems to have a few franchise players on them .

Old
06-15-2010, 12:45 AM
decadentia

Quote:
For sure. There are fewer true franchise-making talents than there are franchises in the league IMO, yet on HFB every team seems to have a few franchise players on them .
Every team has their golden prospects, and on HFboards they are within a year or two's reach to lead us all to the promise land. It's pretty amusing really.

....Giroux-JVR, just you wait

Old
06-15-2010, 02:16 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
C'mon man, you could've gotten your own avatar. That and the fact that your user title is the old JVR-pirate thing I had at the start of the season sort of creeps me out.
haha, im sorry, i just saw the man boobs thing in the avatar thread and thought it was hilarious. And i swear the JVR thing is a complete coincidence, i've had that on there since the beginning of the season as well. My buddy started saying it when we were at the game vs. the panthers back in october, i had no idea it had been coined already. it shall be changed, my dear man.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote