HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CBJ Off-Season 2010 Thread (All general speculation/blog rumors/proposals in here)

Closed Thread

Old
06-14-2010, 08:06 PM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadman View Post
And you know GMSH is going to give no inkling of what he is about. We won't know anything until it's signed, sealed, delivered, and filed with NHL offices. Even then he'll probably have no comment until the scheduled news conference.
Ah, the fun thing about GMSH...will we get the Red Ryder BB Gun or nothing under the 1st of July tree? We won't know until then.

Old
06-14-2010, 08:17 PM
punk_o_holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJSprague24 View Post
I've been saying for a while I'd take Byfuglien and/or Versteeg if we could get them, but Orpik was the first thing that came to mind just now. Would Byfuglien be able to keep his play up (I didn't see all that much in the regular season), or is it the whole deal where one monster shift (like Orpik's wrecking ball shift in the SCF with like 5 hits in 10 seconds) instantly increasing value?
I can't say for sure but I think he is more of a playoff performer. I think last year he did nothing during the regular season but had a good playoff. This year, looked like he was ok during the regular season but had a monster playoff. Another good thing about him is he can play both forward and on defense.

As for Sharp, I would love to get him. Signed for two more years and has a cap hit of $4million. The guys on sportsnet said alot of teams would want him because he is captain material and the his cap hit is fair for what he brings so the demand might be high. Only problem is the Hawks want to dump salary. I can't see the Hawks trading Sharp and wanting much salary in return. Won't be worth it for them to trade him and to only save like $2million or so, especially to a divisional rival. With that said, do the Blue Jackets want to add $4million onto it's current roster, even if it improves the team? Would the Hawks be willing to trade Sharp/Byfuglien to a divisional rival, knowing that one or both of those players could potentially come back to haunt them? If the Blue Jackets had the best offer on the table, while another non divisional team had the second best offer, I can see the Hawks taking the second best offer. Lastly, I heard Sharp isn't as good at center. Would he be the number 1 center or would he play on the wing if we got him?

Old
06-14-2010, 08:21 PM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJSprague24 View Post
Ah, the fun thing about GMSH...will we get the Red Ryder BB Gun or nothing under the 1st of July tree? We won't know until then.
I don't think it will be nothing. I do believe there will be something under the tree. What we don't know is whether it's that Red Ryder or new socks and underwear . You know that you need them but just not what you wanted under the tree.

Old
06-14-2010, 09:42 PM
stevemason1

we need all new scouts. I don't need an explaination look at our draft history :nopi ty:

Old
06-14-2010, 09:43 PM
CBJWennberg41
Formerly CBJBrassard

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemason1 View Post
we need all new scouts. I don't need an explaination look at our draft history :nopi ty:
Yeah, those idiots suck. Why would they pick Nash,Voracek,Mason,Brassard,Moore,Russell.

Old
06-14-2010, 09:50 PM
stevemason1

[QUOTE=CBJBrassard16;26291414]Yeah, those idiots suck. Why would they pick Nash,Voracek,Mason,Brassard,Moore,Russell.
[/QUO

ya those idiots also drafted
picard,brule,zheredev who was good but traded after 4 seasons,leclaire who was inconsistent,klesla whos been a minus player his entire career!!

edit: brassard hasnt showed yet true signs of a franchis player, getting 9 goals in a year wont do that!

Old
06-14-2010, 09:52 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
I'm not going to justify the 2000-2004 drafts. Bottom line, they were for the most part, ****. Way too much emphasis on big guys with minimal talent.

But 05-08 so far doesn't look too shabby. Dorsett, Boll, Russell, Mason. The Jackets could have done a lot worse. And with all the college guys that the Jackets took, there's still plenty of time for them to reemerge at 22-24, ala Clitsome/Murray.

I guess all I'm saying is, don't look at some of the crap in the early drafts.

06-14-2010, 10:05 PM
CBJWennberg41
Formerly CBJBrassard

[QUOTE=stevemason1;26291495]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
Yeah, those idiots suck. Why would they pick Nash,Voracek,Mason,Brassard,Moore,Russell.
[/QUO

picard,brule,zheredev who was good but traded after 4 seasons,leclaire who was inconsistent,klesla whos been a minus player his entire career!!

edit: brassard hasnt showed yet true signs of a franchis player, getting 9 goals in a year wont do that!
Brule is doing great in Edmonton, Leclaire netted us Vermette. and Klesla showed signs of a good Dman before he got hurt this year.

To early to give up on Brass after 1 and a half years in the NHL, and hes a playmaker. Hes supposed to get Nash the goals.

Old
06-14-2010, 10:27 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Any chance you guys would go for a

Sharp for Voracek

Old
06-14-2010, 10:31 PM
Monk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post

Sharp for Voracek
Good lord, no.

Old
06-14-2010, 10:37 PM
Nanabijou
Drop the puck

Quote:

Sharp for Voracek
I think that, second only to maybe Nash, Voracek is untouchable in Howson's mind. It would have to be a crazy over-payment (more than Sharp, even though I'd love to have him) to even start the conversation.

Old
06-14-2010, 10:52 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:

Sharp for Voracek
NOT A CHANCE!

Old
06-14-2010, 10:53 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
NOT A CHANCE!
Sharp is pretty damn good. Voracek gets pretty overrated around here.

Old
06-14-2010, 11:06 PM
CBJWennberg41
Formerly CBJBrassard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
Thats because he's untouchable

Old
06-14-2010, 11:08 PM
Palinka

Quote:

Sharp for Voracek
Only if you'd do Huselius for one of Kane or Toews.

Old
06-14-2010, 11:11 PM
Palinka

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemason1 View Post
[QUOTE=stevemason1;26291495]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
[/QUO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
I'm not going to justify the 2000-2004 drafts. Bottom line, they were for the most part, ****. Way too much emphasis on big guys with minimal talent.

But 05-08 so far doesn't look too shabby. Dorsett, Boll, Russell, Mason. The Jackets could have done a lot worse. And with all the college guys that the Jackets took, there's still plenty of time for them to reemerge at 22-24, ala Clitsome/Murray.

I guess all I'm saying is, don't look at some of the crap in the early drafts.
The same scouts have largely been around for the duration, so why have the last three drafts been infinitely more successful than the previous seven? There have been a great deal fewer "What the HELL is he doing?" picks since 2007, which goes back to Scott Howson using his head and Doug MacLean needing to show everyone around the league what a smart and crafty guy he was. There were so many unbelievable off-the-board picks, combined with a totally inexcusable refusal to shore up the defensive and goalie prospects.

Old
06-14-2010, 11:16 PM
Pata93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
Don't you think Jake will do better than 66 points per season?

True, Sharp is a really really good player. Great defensively. But I'm pretty sure Jake will be able to put up more than 70 points per season.

Currently that would be a fair trade though. But probably not in the future.

Old
06-14-2010, 11:21 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by pata26 View Post
Don't you think Jake will do better than 66 points per season?

True, Sharp is a really really good player. Great defensively. But I'm pretty sure Jake will be able to put up more than 70 points per season.

Currently that would be a fair trade though. But probably not in the future.
It's possible he can hit 66 in a year or two, but you can never expect big things from young players on this franchise, or you will be disappointed every time.
So far Jake has only hit 50, which is okay I guess, he can't really score goals, and doesn't shoot, so if he's not getting assists he's not doing much.
I guess my point was, it didn't matter what the offer was for Voracek, it would've gotten the same response whether it was Sharp, or Ovechkin.

Old
06-14-2010, 11:35 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

I was originally interested in Brassard but then I saw his contract extension , How on earth did he get that? He hasn't done much at NHL level yet

Old
06-14-2010, 11:39 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Quote:
He hasn't done much at NHL level yet
That's what I keep saying. He was horrible this entire season, since 2006 he's played well for a total of 2 months. You can put him in the 'overrated' category too. It's nice to get an unbiased view in here.

Old
06-14-2010, 11:59 PM
Renion

Quote:
I was originally interested in Brassard but then I saw his contract extension , How on earth did he get that? He hasn't done much at NHL level yet
He was signed to that extension based on his 2008-2009 season. That season, of course, was shortened by injury; however, when he was with the club, he was at times its most effective offensive threat (and at others its second-most-effective threat), as well as its heart and soul. The Chimera--Brassard--Voracek line was the most effective/consistent line for the first couple of months of that season, with Brassard the driving force behind it, and it's unlikely the club would have even made the playoffs if not for that line starting off so well. It's difficult to determine how the rest of that season would have gone for Brassard, though, because the line started to falter before his injury.

So far we have seen one excellent quarter season from Brassard and one "meh" full season from Brassard. Who knows what we really have in him? As I've said before, though, I don't doubt he has the drive to become a top center, and he's already shown he has the skill.

I suppose that was a completely biased account

Old
06-15-2010, 06:18 AM
Skraut

Quote:
We were trying to sign our kids early and not get into a Chicago Cap situation.

(though of course we wouldn't mind the Chicago Cup situation)

Closed Thread