HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Would you: Mason, Petro to Philly for Carter?

Old
06-12-2010, 04:57 PM
Prussian_Blue

vCash: 500
Would you: Mason, Petro to Philly for Carter?

Conditions:

1. Mason is re-signed to a reasonable contract.

2. The Blues like how Rundblad has progressed.

3. The Blues determine that Cole's concussions won't be an issue going forward.

4. The Blues then spend their pick at 14th overall on a Derek Forbort type on defense.

5. The Blues can persuade Philly to throw in a draft pick in the 121-180 range, to supplement the fact that they have only six picks in this draft. Keep in mind that's where they found Polak, and Anthony Nigro (my pick for breakout rookie on the Rivermen next season).

Blues deal from a strength (prospect defense depth) to shore up a weakness (size and scoring up front). Conklin and Bishop will have to handle the goaltending duties, or the Blues can get a second-tier UFA (think Niittymaki) to platoon with Conklin for a year or two.

Workable?

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 05:34 PM
kimzey59

No.

1) That package wouldn't be nearly enough to get Carter.
Carter is their best offensive player and is as important to that team as Richards is. It would take a massive overpayment to get him; and I'm not even remotely willing to overpay for somebody at this stage in our rebuild.

2) Mason's only real value is to the team he's on. Even if signed to a reasonable contract, Mason has practically no trade value. He's a goalie, he's getting up there in age and he's got no upside to speak of. His worth is only measured by his stats line, and teams don't pay anything for somebody like that.

3) I'm not in favor of moving any of our D prospects at this point in time.

Simply put, we just don't know what we have in them yet. Every one of these guys could end being a #1 caliber D man, and I don't trade that kind of defensive depth for anything short of a true PPG+ forward. Maybe at the Trade Deadline we'll have seen enough to know how they'll pan out; but right now I wouldn't make any of them available.

The D prospects that should be available are the 2nd and 3rd tier guys: Ponich, Fairchild, Warsofsky, Berglund, Cundari and Junland.

4) IMO, we shouldn't be looking to deal prospects just yet. I think the packages we should be throwing around this summer are one of our 3 albatross contracts(Brewer, Boyes, Jackman) packaged with a pick to get either a similar caliber player at a reduced cost or somebody who just fits the team better. Something like Jackman and a 2nd for Fleischmann or Fehr, Brewer and a 3rd for Malone, and/or Boyes and a 2nd for Kaberle(just examples; I'm sure there are many other scenario's that would make just as much sense).
I just don't think we're to that point yet where we should be going All-In for a Cup run next year. This team still has a lot of building to do, especially on the Blueline.

kimzey59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 06:14 PM
ibleedblue8

No, this team is not a finished product and is not ready for us to trade our young talent for players like Carter. We have used this approach when we acquired Tkachuk and Weight. We need to be patient and wait for our talent to develop. In a few years we may be ready to make a trade similar to this to round out our team when we are ready to compete. Carter would be great, but the only way I trade for him is a deal around Boyes which I don't see Philly liking. Making this trade is good for making the playoffs, but in the longterm it makes it more difficult for us to get a shot at the cup.

ibleedblue8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 06:58 PM
Sniper
It's learning...

I would say yes, but only if we can swing a seperate deal for a true #1 goaltender. This next season, it will be crucial for the Blues to make the playoffs and I'm not entirely confident in a duo of Conklin/Bishop. That would leave Allen as the #1 (unless you want Fallon starting most of the games) in Peoria and I'm not sure he's ready to take on that much in his first pro season.

Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 07:03 PM
Prussian_Blue

Fair enough, guys... but I don't necessarily consider trading Mason and Pietrangelo for a proven goal-scorer to be "going all-in for a Cup run."

Philly needs better goaltending than they have; one of their fans proposed trading Carter for Schneider, and I counter-offered with Mason and Pietrangelo, a package I would say would be far more attractive to Philly than Schneider alone.

The Blues have enoiugh depth on defense that they can probably afford to move Pietrangelo in order to address a scoring deficit, provided that the conditions I specified are met. If even one of those conditions isn't met, the Blues probably wouldn't make the deal, and I wouldn't be in favor of them making the deal unless all those conditions were met.

I'd like a good young goal-scoring forward on this team to supplement the ones they already have, and I though this deal would beat the Carter-for-Schneider proposal in the eyes of Philly fans, and not cause irreparable damage to the Blues. That's all.

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 07:46 PM
stlweir

Prussian, I would too. Carter has the size as well the Blues could use up front. Pie is a player the Blues NEED to become an allstar calibur DMan in the next 3-5 years and someone the Blues can depend on. They need he and EJ to become a stud PP duo. I just don't think you deal him unless you feel he will only be average.

stlweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 08:13 PM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

I gotta agree B. I'd do it as well.

Randall Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 08:23 PM
EOM

No. If we're trying to trade for a goal scorer and including Petro in the package, I'd rather go for someone more consistent than Carter.

EOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 07:37 PM
DMadd

I think the Flyers sould add Carle, Parent, and Tyler Hostetter, and the Blues should add Junland, Polak, and Berglund.

DMadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 07:38 PM
Stealth JD
Drexel's dead!!!

Nope. Petro goes nowhere.

Stealth JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 12:27 AM
SteenMachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMadd View Post
I think the Flyers sould add Carle, Parent, and Tyler Hostetter, and the Blues should add Junland, Polak, and Berglund.
I think you're trying too hard.

SteenMachine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 12:34 AM
SteenMachine

We're still at a fringe point just about everywhere in our system, guys breaking into the AHL, guys breaking into the NHL, guys breaking into their prime... it's all things that need to take a step forward before we can address long term needs with short term results (i.e. one or two seasons of pro or NHL play).

Our goaltending situation is an enigma, we're not sure who to count on for goals next year or in 3, we have all kinds of d-men with huge upside but EJ is the only one who we can consider on track and Polak is the only one ahead of himself.

It seems like we need to get a few years older and then go and add in the same way Chicago or Philly did, and Detroit has been; and bring in a difference maker when we know exactly which one we want for the Cup runs.

The only expendable assets we have, are our worst ones or in limbo as far as what kind of player they'll be next season or for the rest of their contract.

SteenMachine is online now   Reply With Quote