Old
06-11-2010, 04:23 PM
StreakingRed
#unsustainable

vCash: 500
Cam Cunning re-signed

As per the Fan 960:

Quote:
Calgary Flames General Manager Darryl Sutter announced today the signing of forward Cam Cunning to a one-year contract.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 09:34 PM
flamesfan12

Send a message via AIM to flamesfan12 Send a message via MSN to flamesfan12 Send a message via Yahoo to flamesfan12
Good for Cunning. Always liked the kid. Good depth guy for the Heat and maybe he'll get a cup of coffee with the big team.

flamesfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 10:29 PM
Lunatik*

I had him pegged for being allowed to walk, guess I was wrong

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 02:51 AM
tfong

Who?

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 03:11 AM
flames123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
I had him pegged for being allowed to walk, guess I was wrong
I'm thinking it was more for the Heats sake than ours...

flames123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 12:24 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames123 View Post
I'm thinking it was more for the Heats sake than ours...
clearly, but with adding Cameron, Nemisz and Wahl next season as full-timers I thought he was a goner

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 01:21 PM
GoFlames

Yeah Cunning being signed could also be a cushion for injuries. I fully expect the new guys to get the major minutes.

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 01:54 AM
Qubax

To be honest, I saw Cunning live and I was fairly impressed.

Further he was what, like 3rd in points on their team?

Sure, Nemisz, Wahl, Cameron etc will be eating up some top 6 minutes....

but with 12 Forwards on the team I still think Cunning deserves a spot.

If anything this move, along with our junior graduates, just shows how much AHL depth we DO have now.

Cunning is a guy IMO that has been kind of under the radar and underated a bit.

Not sure what his NHL upside is, probably that a of a 3rd or 4th liner at best, but I do think it was safe to say this was his best AHL year, and could be a big part of the Heat next year.

With Brodie on the team aswell next year, I expect the Heat to be one of the better AHL teams.

Qubax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 02:15 AM
GoFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qubax View Post
To be honest, I saw Cunning live and I was fairly impressed.

Further he was what, like 3rd in points on their team?

Sure, Nemisz, Wahl, Cameron etc will be eating up some top 6 minutes....

but with 12 Forwards on the team I still think Cunning deserves a spot.

If anything this move, along with our junior graduates, just shows how much AHL depth we DO have now.

Cunning is a guy IMO that has been kind of under the radar and underated a bit.

Not sure what his NHL upside is, probably that a of a 3rd or 4th liner at best, but I do think it was safe to say this was his best AHL year, and could be a big part of the Heat next year.

With Brodie on the team aswell next year, I expect the Heat to be one of the better AHL teams.
But the Flames have no prospects of value lol

Old
06-13-2010, 02:45 AM
flames123

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFlames View Post
Clean house, fire Sutter and the scouting staff

Old
06-13-2010, 05:54 AM
Flames 1st pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames123 View Post
Clean house, fire Sutter and the scouting staff

We are Stanley cup contender

Flames 1st pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 11:58 AM
Qubax

Quote:
Yah I really agree that the Flames organizational lack of prospect depth has been overblown.

You look at the teams that have won with a series of Top 5 picks, Malkin/Crosby, Toews/Kane etc and what then you look at the Flames and we have NO good young players like that. Zero.

Even a guy like Backlund has probably been a pretty overated prospect for us over the last couple of years. Reasonable upside, but probably not as high as the overall prospect community on the whole was assuming.

Even on the Back end former First Rounder Irving has had some real development glitches and been overated.

BUT, the Flames secondary prospect depth. Our "B" Level guys are very underated.

For example between Erixon and Brodie, I really think the Flames are going to get 2 Top 4 defencemen in the NHL withen 3 years.

Also, between Howse and Wahl we should get some NHL Top 9 forward help in a few years. ...and even if Howse just becomes Kobasew and Wahl becomes a Lombardi level centremen, these are still excellent 3rd round draft picks.

Darryl has made some good transactions and some bad ones, but considering the DP's he left himself with he's drafted fairly admirable, minus Chuck I suppose

Old
06-13-2010, 11:59 AM
Qubax

Quote:
Yah I really agree that the Flames organizational lack of prospect depth has been overblown.

You look at the teams that have won with a series of Top 5 picks, Malkin/Crosby, Toews/Kane etc and what then you look at the Flames and we have NO good young players like that. Zero.

Even a guy like Backlund has probably been a pretty overated prospect for us over the last couple of years. Reasonable upside, but probably not as high as the overall prospect community on the whole was assuming.

Even on the Back end former First Rounder Irving has had some real development glitches and been overated.

BUT, the Flames secondary prospect depth. Our "B" Level guys are very underated.

For example between Erixon and Brodie, I really think the Flames are going to get 2 Top 4 defencemen in the NHL withen 3 years.

Also, between Howse and Wahl we should get some NHL Top 9 forward help in a few years. ...and even if Howse just becomes Kobasew and Wahl becomes a Lombardi level centremen, these are still excellent 3rd round draft picks.

Darryl has made some good transactions and some bad ones, but considering the DP's he left himself with he's drafted fairly admirable, minus Chucko I suppose

Old
06-13-2010, 02:02 PM
GoFlames

Lol! What have I started with the I am sarcastic about our prospect pool sucking. The last year the Flames' prospects are looking better than they have since I care to remember. I think at the end of the coming season more could be ready... who knows.

Old
06-13-2010, 10:22 PM
Qubax

Quote:
Lol! What have I started with the I am sarcastic about our prospect pool sucking. The last year the Flames' prospects are looking better than they have since I care to remember. I think at the end of the coming season more could be ready... who knows.
I understood you, I was agreeing with you.

You were agreeing that the Flames have better prospects on the whole then most people tend to indicate.

I was just agreeing with that notion.

Old
06-14-2010, 10:38 PM
GototheFlamestotheGo

Even though we don't have a 1st or a 2nd in this year's draft (as of yet...c'mon Sutter, surprise me...positively!), I do like that Darryl has gone out to sign some of the more successful junior and minor league players like Cameron and Cunning.

Who knows, with these signings and the graduation of guys like Niemez, Howse and Wahl, it might allow Sutter to trade away this years multiple 3rds and 4ths to try to move up in the draft or land some players through a draft day trade.

GototheFlamestotheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 12:26 AM
flames123

Quote:
Originally Posted by GototheFlamestotheGo View Post
Even though we don't have a 1st or a 2nd in this year's draft (as of yet...c'mon Sutter, surprise me...positively!), I do like that Darryl has gone out to sign some of the more successful junior and minor league players like Cameron and Cunning.

Who knows, with these signings and the graduation of guys like Niemez, Howse and Wahl, it might allow Sutter to trade away this years multiple 3rds and 4ths to try to move up in the draft or land some players through a draft day trade.
Cunning was signed to be a plug in the AHL, not in a "prospect" type role.

To be quite honest, I agree with Darryl on drafting after the 1st round. All of the players there are very similar. They are just at different stages in their development. Lots of players don't find their way until their 20 year season, but by then it is too late. So my point is that we can still find guys, like Howse, in the later rounds that have certain strengths, but other weakness's, that, if fixed, the player can turn out to be 1st round quality.

Old
06-15-2010, 12:52 AM
Qubax

Yah I agree that Darryl has done really well with picks after the first round in general.

Some of these are 2nd, 3rds or later...

but

Boyd, Wahl, Howse, Negrin, Brodie, Ortio etc...we have got a lot of mileage out of post 1st round selections.

One thing people can forget is that when Darryl took over the Farm was completely barren.

Nothin' in the cupboard.

And while we haven't had very many high picks, and some first rounders, namely Chucko seem suspect, Darryl HAS accumulated a lot more depth prospect wise then we had before his regime.

Now lets hope we can utilize those improving assets...Cause heavens knows this team over the last few years has had a litany of quality NHL assets to work with. I mean, that no sarcasm...

Flames are always pegged by the pundits as a team to watch that could go deep.

Well until this off season