HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers Unhappy with JVR?

Old
06-15-2010, 02:22 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
haha, im sorry, i just saw the man boobs thing in the avatar thread and thought it was hilarious. And i swear the JVR thing is a complete coincidence, i've had that on there since the beginning of the season as well. My buddy started saying it when we were at the game vs. the panthers back in october, i had no idea it had been coined already. it shall be changed, my dear man.
Well the JV-Argh thing I can totally see both of us arriving at simultaneously, that was not exactly a stroke of genius on my part. It was that in concert with the man-boob avatar that threw me.

Cheers

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 08:32 AM
bluefleetwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Being average even at a young age doesnt mean success. What if he continues to do the same he has done in the past for the next 3 years? Do you still wait for him to turn into a franchise goaltender? How about 5-7 years? He is turning 23 in a few months. The "he is young" argument is gonna run out soon unless he steps his game up.

I do agree that the word franchise gets thrown around here to much, for JVR and Price.

"in 25 starts for Carey, team scored 26 goals.. so ya, you can't blame Price for the lack of wins, you blame the TEAM"

This quote is from the Habs board. Someplace else I read that in 6 games the Flyers had scored 22 goals and still lost. I don't think it's too much of a stretch to say that playing behind the Flyers defense and oh, yeah, the Flyers can actually score goals, too, Price would have won a lot more games than he did with the Habs. I'm sorry, but when a goalie makes 30+, 40+ and 50+ saves and the team still loses, the goalie is not the major problem.

bluefleetwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 08:58 AM
bennysflyers16

Price behind the Flyers defense challenges for the Veizna !

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 09:19 AM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHolmgrenDotCom View Post
Jonathan Bernier is going to end up being a better goaltender then Carey Price.

You may well be right. Pretty early to come to those types of conclusions though. Some of the Habs posters are correct, Carey gets shortchanged by that Montreal offense plenty. I'd like to see a little more of Bernier at the NHL level before I put him on a shelf above Price.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 09:21 AM
IrishSniper87

Leighton had better regular season numbers with the Flyers then Price had all season.

Price - 41 games 13-20-5 0.912 2.77
Leighton w/ Flyers - 27 games 16-5 0.918 2.48

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 09:31 AM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
Leighton had better regular season numbers with the Flyers then Price had all season.

Price - 41 games 13-20-5 0.912 2.77
Leighton w/ Flyers - 27 games 16-5 0.918 2.48

An example of why you don't want to be the goalie backstopping a team that gets outshot 40-20 every night. Price and Leighton aren't even in the same Universe skillwise.

Old
06-15-2010, 10:17 AM
RIPRichardsCarter

Philadelphia news coverage of the Flyers is simply awful.

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 10:29 AM
El Dandy*
...Menace To Society

JvR for Price

Get it done Holmer.

El Dandy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 10:32 AM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilbertsGuns View Post
would you guys do a Jonathon Bernier for JVR swap?
Yes. I would deal JVR for either Bernier or Price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilbertsGuns View Post
I would be happy to have either goalie on the team but, I think that Bernier may have more upside than Price, seeing as Price has been in the league 3 years, broke down in the playoffs and hasn't done anything really remarkable. Bernier was a beast in the AHL and impressed in the few starts he had for the Kings.
Price is only a year older than Bernier and will be going into his 4th season in the league while Bernier will be a rookie. IMO Price is better and is also closer to hitting his developmental prime. I'd take him before Bernier if I had to choose, but I'd be thrilled with either.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 10:35 AM
sa cyred
Offseason...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
Yes. I would deal JVR for either Bernier or Price.

Price is only a year older than Bernier and will be going into his 4th season in the league while Bernier will be a rookie. IMO Price is better and is also closer to hitting his developmental prime. I'd take him before Bernier if I had to choose, but I'd be thrilled with either.
Just because he started early absolutely doesnt mean he is better. If anything, it could have ruined Price's development, when Bernier could have taken a safer route and turn out better.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 10:42 AM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Just because he started early absolutely doesnt mean he is better. If anything, it could have ruined Price's development, when Bernier could have taken a safer route and turn out better.

Price is no less than a good NHL netminder at a very young age. the same can't be said of Bernier yet.

Old
06-15-2010, 10:49 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club View Post
An example of why you don't want to be the goalie backstopping a team that gets outshot 40-20 every night. Price and Leighton aren't even in the same Universe skillwise.
Price averaged 30.3 shots against a game.

Leighton averaged 25 shots against in his 27 Flyers games.

It's tough to gauge tho, because Leighton started 26 of his 27 and Price 39 of his 41, but that shouldnt hurt the numbers too much.

All in all, the shot totals are not THAT different.

Old
06-15-2010, 10:54 AM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
5 shots against per game is a very significant difference, that was the difference between 1st and 16th in SA ranking.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 10:59 AM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
BCFC is right, Price is absolutely the better goalie right now and is the safer bet in the future. Bernier could be the better goalie in the end, but I'd take the safe bet if I had the choice. The fact that Price has been able to hold his own in the NHL since 20 shows what a great talent he is. This is also becoming the youngest player to ever be named the AHL playoff MVP. Price > Bernier.

Quote:

It's tough to gauge tho, because Leighton started 26 of his 27 and Price 39 of his 41, but that shouldnt hurt the numbers too much.

They are a lot more different than you realize. AN average of 25 shots a game would be the #1 defense in the league. 30.3 shots a game would have been good for 16 in the league.

BTW the Flyers were ranked 4th in the league with 28.6 shots against and Montreal was 26th with 32.1. The Flyers were +03.0 in shot differential while Montreal was -03.5. There is a huge gap in the teams.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 11:00 AM
phlocky

Quote:

If you watched any of the Habs games then you'd know that the QUALITY of shots faced by the two is IMMENSELY different. Behind the Flyers defense, Price could have sleptwalked to 15 shutout or 1 goal wins instead of loosing 1-0 or 2-0 because the Habs didn't score for him and gave up a ton more odd man rushes than they did when Halak was in net for them.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 11:01 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
If you watched any of the Habs games then you'd know that the QUALITY of shots faced by the two is IMMENSELY different. Behind the Flyers defense, Price could have sleptwalked to 15 shutout or 1 goal wins instead of loosing 1-0 or 2-0 because the Habs didn't score for him and gave up a ton more odd man rushes than they did when Halak was in net for them.
Chris Pronger is our goalie.

Old
06-15-2010, 11:06 AM
phlocky

Quote:
Chris Pronger is our goalie.

He IS the Flyers MVP and there's no close 2nd. IMO Pronger should have won the Hart this year because there is nobody in the league (save possibly Brodeur) who is more important to their team than Chris Pronger.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 11:28 AM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:

With the kind of traffic Price battled those 5 shots a game might as well be 15. Price would destroy Leighton's numbers behind our team.

Old
06-15-2010, 11:52 AM
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club View Post
You may well be right. Pretty early to come to those types of conclusions though. Some of the Habs posters are correct, Carey gets shortchanged by that Montreal offense plenty. I'd like to see a little more of Bernier at the NHL level before I put him on a shelf above Price.
I know its early. Its just my opinion. I have seen this guy for the past 2 seasons. People worry about his size. but his lateral movement from post to post is as quick as I have seen. Outstanding glovehand. He is technically sound. He would of been in the NHL this year, but LA wanted to give him 55 or more starts and he wasnt going to get that in the NHL.
Now he is ready. LA is heading into the same goalie controversy Montreal has right now. They are going to have to make some decisions in the near future. I think Bernier and Quick will both be in LA for the 10-11 season. After that they will have to start think about dealing one of them. Call me impartial because I like Bernier and have been a fan of his since he arrived in Manchester but if I would want any young goalie in Philly it would be him.
Now dont get me wrong, if we trade for Price I would like it alot. I think he has really good upside. I think he can handle the pressure in Philly.

Last edited by GoneFullHextall: 06-15-2010 at 01:17 PM.
GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 12:20 PM
BernieParent

Between the two, I would rather Holmgren deal for Bernier. While Price should definitely grow into his significant potential, if brought along well, I do worry about his mental fabric. He was rushed way too fast into the undisputed #1 slot, punctuated by Bob Gainey dealing away Huet at the 2008 deadline, and was anointed as the next Roy/Dryden/Plante. After sputtering against guess who? the Flyers last year, Price rode the bench for pretty much all of this years playoffs.

Imagine if he is sent to the team that narrowly missed winning the Stanley Cup for want of stellar goaltending?

If Paul Holmgren trades for him, Price would need someone like Boucher to play mentor. Maybe Holmgren could keep 3 goalies on the active roster so Price and Leighton could split time and Boucher could show Price how to mature inside and outside the crease.

As well, neither goaltender would come cheaply, and Id rather send the player(s) it takes to the Western Conference.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 12:29 PM
sg12lw

JVR might have the most talent on this roster (him or giroux, than a big drop off - pepole who think that its clearly giroux,think again -this kid is nasty) - bigger guys take a little while to adjust to the league, and as people mentioned, hes not used to a full season yet

he showed me so many flashes of brilliance this year, theres now way i can give up on him. big , young, insanely skilled, and fast as lightning - keep that

JVR will lead our team in goals for 7 or 8 years in a row starting 2 years from now. him and giroux are destined to play together. they have more talent than 97% of the players in the world, and seem to be on the same page already. it will be fun to watch folks

PREDICTION: (seinfeld anyone? haha) roo and jvr will be one of the best duos in flyers history. leclair and lindros like, but a new, softer nhl version haha- forsberg/gags like, but jvr is more like leclair than gags

sg12lw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 12:50 PM
panayiotis

eskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
Take it with a grain of salt considering the source, but last night on Sports Final Howard Eskin said the Flyers may move JVR because they are unhappy with him and his style of play.
not a hockey guy....

panayiotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 02:15 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Maybe the Flyers watched JVR and Kane compete in the same Finals and grew chagrined. I know I would if I were them.

And considering that a) the window for this team grows short and b) JVR probably does have sizable value, it is not so ridiculous to speculate that the Flyers will listen to deals including him.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 03:45 PM
agrudez*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46zone View Post
There's a reason Mikey Miss is killing this guy right now....his act is stale.
I actually listened to WIP during my afternoon drive home the last 2 weeks for the SCF because Missanelli was absolutely brutal to listen to regarding hockey, Eskin was bad, but Reese actually sounded like he semi-researched something... and the two of them had better hockey related guests.

Actually, I lied, I listened to 104.5 90% of the time, they were all brutal. Just talk baseball during the Flyers playoff run if you're really that uneducated about hockey, don't pretend you give a **** and sound like an ***.

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 03:48 PM
agrudez*

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
C'mon man, you could've gotten your own avatar. That and the fact that your user title is the old JVR-pirate thing I had at the start of the season sort of creeps me out.
I actually saw like 3 or 4 people with your avy during the playoff run, I think you have alot of butt obsessed stalkers... I'm jealous.

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote