Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Notices

Random Talk 101

Closed Thread

Old
06-15-2010, 08:54 AM
vofty

vCash: 500
The A&M to the SEC idea had quite a bit of momentum around here, good thing they decided not to go A&M would have gotten destroyed.

Old
06-15-2010, 11:26 AM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

vCash: 1425
All big xii fans should thank Texas for saving their conference

Old
06-15-2010, 11:29 AM
piqued
Global Moderator
victory green?

vCash: 27750
Excuse my ignorance, but why doesn't TCU just join the Big 12?

Old
06-15-2010, 01:08 PM
Chad_

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaStars99 View Post
It's a temporary stop-gap. The conference will implode within three years because of the unequal revenue sharing and UT playing the role of a bull in a china shop. As an example, the five schools that were going to be left behind forfeited all rights to receive buyout money from Nebraska and Colorado. Their share went unequally to the five who were thought to leave the conference. Those five didn't negotiate from positions of strength and got bent over, along with TTU and OSU (those two to a lessor degree). UT got the most money from the alleged new television deal and the right to have their own TV network. UT, OU and TAMU will receive the most television revenue, followed by TTU and OSU then the other five. Unequal revenue sharing was one of the biggest reasons for the problems to begin with, and since that hasn't changed but gotten and will continue to get worse, the future of the Big XII is non-existent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued1457 View Post
Excuse my ignorance, but why doesn't TCU just join the Big 12?
What would TCU add to the Big XII? TCU carries no market that isn't already saturated with fans of one of the Big XII universities. They can't fill their stadium. I went to a game at Amon Carter a couple of years ago and, while it was a sell out or close enough, 60-70 percent of the fans were sporting the colors of the opposing school.

While it's admirable what TCU football has done in recent years, as an institution they don't add anything to the Big XII that isn't already there. Houston would be a much better add, but if the conference wants to truly expand and maintain the annual Red River Shootout, and both UT and OU certainly do, they need to somehow find two or more schools capable of playing in a north division that can somehow compete with the big five (UT, OU, TTU, TAMU and OSU) in the south. That's not going to happen.

Old
06-15-2010, 01:56 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_ View Post
They can't fill their stadium. I went to a game at Amon Carter a couple of years ago and, while it was a sell out or close enough, 60-70 percent of the fans were sporting the colors of the opposing school..
They still can't unless College Game Day is there (ala Utah last year or year before whichever)

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Old
06-15-2010, 02:13 PM
Chad_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
They still can't unless College Game Day is there (ala Utah last year or year before whichever)
I know. I was trying not to be as negative towards TCU as I've been in other places on this specific aspect. There just aren't many TCU fans, be they alumni or just fans in general.

When I was in school, there was never a question whether the Jones would be packed for all but the cream puff non-conference games (there were less then than now). Fans of opposing teams did come into town, just as they do in every town for every sporting event, but it was never, ever close to even being 70-30 home to visitor fans. Believe it or not, Kansas State traveled the best (oh those purple buses playing the K State fight song) and I have much admiration for Kansas State fans.

None of this mentions the fact I don't know if TCU wants to join the Big XII. They feel like they got shafted when the Big XII formed, thinking the political wrangling in Austin pushed Baylor ahead of them in line. What they don't seem to grasp is that the original Big 8 expansion was to only include UT and TAMU, but the political wrangling added TTU and Baylor to the mix.

A couple of months ago, TCU's head coach Patterson (I can't stand his constant whining) was on ESPN College Gameday (or whatever the off-season version is called) and asked specifically if the Big X took both Missouri and Nebraska if TCU would be interested in joining the Big XII. His response was the only way TCU would be interested is if they were placed in the North so they wouldn't have to play UT, OU, OSU, TTU and TAMU on a yearly basis.

Old
06-15-2010, 02:32 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
They feel like they got shafted when the Big XII formed, thinking the political wrangling in Austin pushed Baylor ahead of them in line. What they don't seem to grasp is that the original Big 8 expansion was to only include UT and TAMU, but the political wrangling added TTU and Baylor to the mix.
So do the other former SWC schools.

How Baylor continues to luck out in this conference realignment things is beyond me. They had absolutely no more reason to head into the Big 12 at the time it came about than SMU, TCU, Houston, or Rice did.

But I'm biased.

Old
06-15-2010, 02:36 PM
Chad_

Quote:
I should note, how would you like it if Purdue's agreement in the Big Ten included non-equal revenue sharing where the conference's power house teams (Ohio State and Michigan) received almost 50 percent more television revenue than Purdue? That's what the alleged (it still hasn't been actually negotiated) new television contract in the Big XII calls for. Add in the fact two other Big XII universities will receive 25 percent more revenue than the third tier (TTU and OSU), and the lower five teams will be knocked further down to get less than half what the tier two teams get.

To add injury to insult, let's think of when Purdue had a very good football team (I'm not saying their team is bad today) with a huge national draw in a potential top NFL draft pick in Drew Brees (I fully understand Purdue had better teams before Brees too). Purdue football was televised six times, the most within the Big Ten other than Ohio State and Michigan, three times on ABC prime-time Saturday night football, had three of the most watched football games within one season infringing upon the most watched of all time and the rather meaningless bowl game they did play in was one of the most watched non-BCS bowls of all time. Now consider Michigan State, surely a good program but not on the same measuring stick as Ohio State or Michigan, has been hovering just above .500 for the past 8 or so years, been routinely beaten by Purdue and was on television three times in the same season. The Big Ten decides to do unequal revenue sharing and gives Ohio State the most followed closely by Michigan and Michigan State. Wouldn't you, as a Purdue student, be upset Purdue didn't get as much as or more than Michigan State?

That is what has happened with respect to TTU and TAMU. And don't give me the market crap either. The combined Amarillo, Lubbock and Midland/Odessa markets, not counting the many viewers from the surrounding towns and into New Mexico (and believe me they are all TTU markets) outnumber Bryan. TTU has the second largest alumni group in DFW, second only to UT. No, I'm not arguing TTU has a bigger market share than TAMU, but if they don't, it's very, very close.

The PAC-10 deal would have increased television revenue for all invited schools, helped push academic stands, increased research grants that are scarce for Texas schools not named UT or TAMU, put pressure upon the Texas Legislature to remove the antiquated mineral rights agreement, barred individual schools from having their own network and had equal revenue sharing.

With all of this in mind, if the same thing happened with the Big Ten, would you, as a Purdue student, thank Ohio State for taking a larger piece of the pie while increasing Purdue's television revenue a scant $4 million, knowing full well the same unequal revenue sharing that was a major cause of all of this would still be in existence and going to get worse when Ohio State launched its own network?

Old
06-15-2010, 02:50 PM
Chad_

Quote:
So do the other former SWC schools.

How Baylor continues to luck out in this conference realignment things is beyond me. They had absolutely no more reason to head into the Big 12 at the time it came about than SMU, TCU, Houston, or Rice did.

But I'm biased.
Well, I am too, but both Baylor and TTU had a bit of luck in getting into the Big XII. While TTU did have more going for them than the other schools you mentioned, with the possible exception of Houston, Baylor did not.

TCU doesn't come close to capturing even a respectable portion of the Ft. Worth market, and that same market is saturated with alumni/fans of UT, TTU, TAMU and Baylor, in that order as it happens. They just don't add anything a conference looks at when expanding.

If the Big XII were to expand in the future, and I don't think the conference will last more than a few years, they'll look at Utah/BYU, New Mexico, Arkansas, Houston/UTEP, Air Force/Colorado State and maybe Louisiana Tech. The Big XII already owns the entire Texas market so why would it want to grab another Texas team at the expense of adding another market to the conference?

Sorry for the long, drawn out responses, but I'm really passionate about this type of stuff and am not happy with how the Big XII ended up when I feel my alma mater got the shaft due to five schools voting for anything rather than nothing and one other university getting its biggest piece of the pie before the conference implodes. I don't blame those six of doing what was in their best interest, but it's only delaying the inevitable both within the conference and within college football in general. There will be 'super conferences' soon, and there was a chance for five Big XII members to be in one, not to mention if Beebe had any foresight he could have started his own push to create one, but now only OU and UT are assured of being included in those super conferences in the future. The rest of the remaining Big XII stand a decent chance of being left out.

Old
06-15-2010, 03:33 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
If the Big XII were to expand in the future, and I don't think the conference will last more than a few years, they'll look at Utah/BYU, New Mexico, Arkansas, Houston/UTEP, Air Force/Colorado State and maybe Louisiana Tech. The Big XII already owns the entire Texas market so why would it want to grab another Texas team at the expense of adding another market to the conference?
Before I touch the rest...if Arkansas moves out of the SEC, it'll be the stupidest decision they could have ever made.

The only possible reason for the Big 12 to add another Texas team would be because that program was willing to sit in the back seat of Texas...which is what the other Big 12 schools are pretty much doing. A team like Iowa State or Baylor is the only team I could see them possibly adding.

It's the only thing that makes sense in terms of adding another Texas school. As you said, it obviously has nothing to do with capturing the Texas market.

Old
06-15-2010, 03:44 PM
Chad_

Quote:
Before I touch the rest...if Arkansas moves out of the SEC, it'll be the stupidest decision they could have ever made.
Except that Arkansas hasn't exactly flourished in the SEC and since they left the SWC they've cut off Texas as a recruiting base, which is crucial for any school in football. I only mentioned Arkansas due to geography, not that I think they are a realistic target. However, at this point any team joining the Big XII would be making an incredibly stupid decision because the conference won't last.

Also keep in mind the Big XII essentially has to find two 'North' schools in order to keep the Red River game in place on an annual basis. But the prospects of 'North' teams don't look good. The Big XII will die a rather quick death due in large part to Beebe and the five 'leftovers' just voting for anything rather than nothing which ensured the crap sandwich that was served by Beebe in Austin.

Missouri helped start this entire mess, were found to not have a foot in the Big Ten door and promptly bent over to allow UT to give it to them repeatedly. They will continue to look elsewhere, not that I blame them, and once they go, others will go elsewhere.

I can tell you I have not heard from one TTU alumni who is happy, most are outright pissed off, and the news from my TAMU friends isn't much better. My UT friends, that pay attention at all to sports or non-UT specific sports, wonder why TTU shouldn't be happy with an increase in money and leave it at that. They don't get the entire unequal share and how that creates an imbalance in something that should have balance. I can't imagine OSU alumni being happy with the deal either.

Does it tell you something that Beebe wouldn't and hasn't returned the phone call from TTU Chancellor Kent Hance?

Old
06-15-2010, 08:13 PM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

Quote:
I should note, how would you like it if Purdue's agreement in the Big Ten included non-equal revenue sharing where the conference's power house teams (Ohio State and Michigan) received almost 50 percent more television revenue than Purdue? That's what the alleged (it still hasn't been actually negotiated) new television contract in the Big XII calls for. Add in the fact two other Big XII universities will receive 25 percent more revenue than the third tier (TTU and OSU), and the lower five teams will be knocked further down to get less than half what the tier two teams get.

To add injury to insult, let's think of when Purdue had a very good football team (I'm not saying their team is bad today) with a huge national draw in a potential top NFL draft pick in Drew Brees (I fully understand Purdue had better teams before Brees too). Purdue football was televised six times, the most within the Big Ten other than Ohio State and Michigan, three times on ABC prime-time Saturday night football, had three of the most watched football games within one season infringing upon the most watched of all time and the rather meaningless bowl game they did play in was one of the most watched non-BCS bowls of all time. Now consider Michigan State, surely a good program but not on the same measuring stick as Ohio State or Michigan, has been hovering just above .500 for the past 8 or so years, been routinely beaten by Purdue and was on television three times in the same season. The Big Ten decides to do unequal revenue sharing and gives Ohio State the most followed closely by Michigan and Michigan State. Wouldn't you, as a Purdue student, be upset Purdue didn't get as much as or more than Michigan State?

That is what has happened with respect to TTU and TAMU. And don't give me the market crap either. The combined Amarillo, Lubbock and Midland/Odessa markets, not counting the many viewers from the surrounding towns and into New Mexico (and believe me they are all TTU markets) outnumber Bryan. TTU has the second largest alumni group in DFW, second only to UT. No, I'm not arguing TTU has a bigger market share than TAMU, but if they don't, it's very, very close.

The PAC-10 deal would have increased television revenue for all invited schools, helped push academic stands, increased research grants that are scarce for Texas schools not named UT or TAMU, put pressure upon the Texas Legislature to remove the antiquated mineral rights agreement, barred individual schools from having their own network and had equal revenue sharing.

With all of this in mind, if the same thing happened with the Big Ten, would you, as a Purdue student, thank Ohio State for taking a larger piece of the pie while increasing Purdue's television revenue a scant $4 million, knowing full well the same unequal revenue sharing that was a major cause of all of this would still be in existence and going to get worse when Ohio State launched its own network?
I was more talking to Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Baylor, and Mizzou, but of course I would be angry because that is just not fair. I also do agree that as you stated in an earlier post that this is only saving the Big XII for a temporary time because of the horrible percentages that are being tossed around. That being said I do think it is possible survive with unequal revenue sharing though, because lets face it Iowa State doesn't bring nearly as much to the table as Texas. However it would be very hard to decide how to allocate who gets what fairly, as it will inherently never be fair, ever. The ridiculous break downs aren't the way to do it.

I fully believe that equal revenue sharing is the best thing for any conferences well being. The BTN pays out $22 million to each school and everybody seems to be okay. As a Purdue student, I am glad the Big Ten uses equal revenue sharing because I being real it has been a decade since Purdue has been to a BCS bowl that pays ~$13 million but when tOSU and another Big Ten school goes that is ~$26 million + other bowl earnings that is divided by 11 which means money that otherwise wouldn't be coming our way is now coming.

Old
06-15-2010, 09:33 PM
Chad_

Quote:
I was more talking to Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Baylor, and Mizzou . . .
Yeah, they should be thankful and I'm personally happy for fans/students/alumni of those institutions. Well, outside of Missouri who was one major heel in this entire fiasco. As for the rest, OSU and TTU got boned.

Old
06-16-2010, 03:27 PM
Chad_

I guess this is as good a place to put this as any other. It's a prank video of a woman continually turning off her boyfriend's television during the Stanley Cup Finals (that's what it says, but I don't know if was the Finals or not as I was too busy laughing).

Maybe someone more enterprising than I will know how to embed this video.

Old
06-16-2010, 04:19 PM
vofty

When it started I didn't think that I could watch 4 minutes of that, but I did and it was dang funny!! Poor guy. Surely that wasn't the only tv in the house though right? Or maybe that it is just inconceivable to me that someone only has 1 tv after growing up in my parents house where every room gets its own tv

Old
06-16-2010, 04:52 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Ok so I'm moving to Denton tomorrow and won't have cable or anything to watch the US World Cup game on Friday. Anyone know where a good place to watch the game would be??

Old
06-16-2010, 05:19 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
victory green?

You call Denton part of the Metroplex? I don't know. We need a ruling on that.

Old
06-16-2010, 07:08 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Closer than a hour and a half to Dallas = Metroplex.

For me at least

Old
06-16-2010, 07:23 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
victory green?

You were a STH last year, right? Where were you commuting from?

And Wikipedia seems to think Denton is in the Metroplex and I believe everything it tells me so your story checks out.

Old
06-16-2010, 07:48 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Was driving from Longview...too and from almost every game.

Yea, never again. Ever.

Old
06-18-2010, 07:48 PM
vofty

Bonus: one of the backup dancers looks like Strangis

Old
06-23-2010, 07:28 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Beat Algeria.

Old
06-23-2010, 10:42 AM
starsfan24
#17 "Keep Rollin"

vCash: 995
It just wasn't meant to be.

Old
06-23-2010, 11:07 AM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by starsfan24 View Post
It just wasn't meant to be.
spoke a little to soon

Old
06-23-2010, 11:07 AM
piqued
Global Moderator
victory green?

Who cares? We're just going to get ****ed over by the officiating in the next round too.

Closed Thread