HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks re-sign D Aaron Rome to 2-year deal ($750k per)

Old
06-15-2010, 01:32 PM
FruityPants3*

vCash: 500
Very strong signing.

FruityPants3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 01:36 PM
PRNuck

I like it a lot. Also it's reassuring to have more than one defenseman signed for 2011/2012 already

PRNuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 01:37 PM
fools russian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
750K a year over 2 years is a great signing IMO. Rome keeps it simple, brings some physicality, stays out of the penalty box and doesn't hurt the team - exactly what a #6-7 defenseman is suppose to do.

This should spell the end of Shane O'Brien. Comparable player to Rome but will want more than twice the salary.
I still wouldn't mind seeing O'Brien back at a reasonable price. aside from his off-ice issues, he's a solid D-man that brings a physical presence to the ice, something the Canucks need more of in their D imo. especially if we end up moving Bieksa.

fools russian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 01:40 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by fools russian View Post
I still wouldn't mind seeing O'Brien back at a reasonable price. aside from his off-ice issues, he's a solid D-man that brings a physical presence to the ice, something the Canucks need more of in their D imo. especially if we end up moving Bieksa.
As a player, I like SOB a lot. But his off ice antics have been side shows for this team for two years, and if the rumors about his current lifestyle/eating habits/partying since the end of the season are true, it doesn't appear the guy is ever going to learn. And it's not like he's 18 or a superstar--he's 27 and he's a bottom pairing defensemen. Not something the Canucks need to contend with.

Mr. Canucklehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 01:43 PM
xtr3m

And we still have Pope. Nice.

xtr3m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 01:43 PM
MTechnik
Clutch

vCash: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluninja View Post
2 year 1.5 million would be amazing.
Gillis reads HF!

MTechnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 01:51 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtr3m View Post
RFA. Could go unqualified.

And nice call, bluninja!

Old
06-15-2010, 01:52 PM
SaucyNavel
GinoGinoGino

12:45pm Aaron Rome on team1040

SaucyNavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 01:52 PM
Slashy McSlewfoot

Excellent signing. Rome is a perfect depth guy, and can play as a number 6 quite easily.

I don't really think him signing effects the status of Bieksa or SOB one way or another, though...depth is always needed.

Slashy McSlewfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 01:53 PM
Ernie

Great news! I only wish they added another year, I feel that this could be very good for the Canucks. Such little downside, and significant upside.

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 02:27 PM
LaVal

Great news. With Vancouver's injury prone defense, having a depth defensemen that can jump into a bigger role when needed is imperative.

LaVal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 02:29 PM
Bieksallent

I can dig this, thucka.

Bieksallent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 02:32 PM
Lard_Lad

Good, that's done without the UFA status costing us too much extra. Hansen up next?

Lard_Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 03:01 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lard_Lad View Post
Good, that's done without the UFA status costing us too much extra. Hansen up next?
Hansen and Raymond are two guys I'd like to see renewed sooner rather than later.

Old
06-15-2010, 03:04 PM
m9

Likely will battle it out with Alberts for the 6th spot in the lineup. Solid signing, good price.

m9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 03:18 PM
nuckfan insk

vCash: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark9 View Post
Likely will battle it out with Alberts for the 6th spot in the lineup. Solid signing, good price.
he rather outplayed alberts

nuckfan insk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 03:24 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluninja View Post
Gillis reads HF!
Good call indeed! Very good signing, at an excellent price. He'll probably start as the #6 guy, but could move up to play in the Top 4 if injuries call for it. I think he's better than Alberts, where he doesn't take stupid penalties or make boneheaded passes from his own zone. He seems to be a smart player, with very good value for money, which is classic Gillis-style moneypuck. Great move, I like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lard_Lad View Post
I'd love to see Hansen get re-signed. IMO he hasn't really been given a fair chance under AV to play regular Top 9 minutes. He's better than just another 4th line plug. And seriously though, those haters making all those stupid comments on the TSN link need to get a life.

What is really interesting though, is how Gillis seems to be finding these diamonds in the rough and being able to sign them for dirt cheap. It's a great way to get cost-efficient players in your roster. I think either our minor-league scouting seems to have improved, or Gillis is using some excellent statistical analysis to find players who are underrated but very effective.

vanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 03:24 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannoabram View Post
he rather outplayed alberts
Dana Murzyn coming out of retirement right now could probably give Alberts a good battle.

Barney Gumble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 03:26 PM
Proto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
As a player, I like SOB a lot. But his off ice antics have been side shows for this team for two years, and if the rumors about his current lifestyle/eating habits/partying since the end of the season are true, it doesn't appear the guy is ever going to learn. And it's not like he's 18 or a superstar--he's 27 and he's a bottom pairing defensemen. Not something the Canucks need to contend with.
I don't generally care about the personal lives of players and I rarely if ever comment on them, but as I said in another thread this morning, Shane O'Brien is a unique case. If he wants to go get drunk and have some fun about town, I really don't care. That's his business and it's not something I'd specifically comment on.

However, when I saw O'Brien out about town last weekend, he A) Looked like he'd already put on 20 pounds and B) Was smoking.

The first wouldn't concern me if not for his history and if not for the second. This guy simply doesn't take being an NHL player seriously. Case closed. I'm sure Gillis is aware of this and has no plans to hold on to SOB at this point. I'm hoping that's what this signing indicates.

Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 03:30 PM
BloatedGuppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtr3m View Post
Ben Bishop is probably available.

BloatedGuppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 03:31 PM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

vCash: 50
I haven't read through the entire thread but how do people think this well effect SOB? I have to think either him or Bieksa will be gone.

To me Gillis has to move both Bieksa and Bernier and consider moving SOB as well. It's over 6 million in savings if he can move them without taking on any contracts. Take them off the books and you have nearly 14 million to re-sign Raymond, revamp the D and plug in some bottom 6 forward holes.

Daniel Sedin $6,100,000
Henrik Sedin $6,100,000
Ryan Kesler $5,000,000
Mikael Samuelsson $2,500,000
Alexandre Burrows $2,000,000
Cody Hodgson ($850,000) $1,695,833
Michael Grabner $843,333
Darcy Hordichuk $775,000
Rick Rypien $550,000
DEFENSEMEN
Sami Salo $3,500,000
Alexander Edler $3,250,000
Christian Ehrhoff $3,100,000
Andrew Alberts $1,050,000
Aaron Rome $750,000
Nolan Baumgartner $550,000
GOALTENDERS
Roberto Luongo $5,333,333
Cory Schneider $900,000

ROSTER SIZE 17
SALARY CAP $56,800,000
PAYROLL $43,997,500
BONUSES $850,000
CAP SPACE $13,652,500

Canucks also need to consider that Ehrhoff is entering his final year before hitting UFA status and will be looking for a raise as well.

mrmyheadhurts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 03:32 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
I don't generally care about the personal lives of players and I rarely if ever comment on them, but as I said in another thread this morning, Shane O'Brien is a unique case. If he wants to go get drunk and have some fun about town, I really don't care. That's his business and it's not something I'd specifically comment on.

However, when I saw O'Brien out about town last weekend, he A) Looked like he'd already put on 20 pounds and B) Was smoking.

The first wouldn't concern me if not for his history and if not for the second. This guy simply doesn't take being an NHL player seriously. Case closed. I'm sure Gillis is aware of this and has no plans to hold on to SOB at this point. I'm hoping that's what this signing indicates.
When the player's off-ice antics begin to effect his performance(i.e.--his weight), I become concerned. Also when he starts running his mouth about management and coaching, etc., it creates an unnecessary distraction. The smoking is certainly an alarm bell as well, if true.

He just creates messes for himself, and while I'm sure he's a very good guy and his teammates like him, he has to help himself too. If he's not going to take his role and responsibility seriously, then he needs to be shipped out. I think Gillis and AV have been very patient with him, but frankly it's wearing thin.

Again, I really like SOB's style as a player. He's a decent hockey player with good size and toughness(although he didn't use the toughness so much this season). But the sideshow has to stop, and the reports are that it hasn't. He's stringing up the rope to hang himself with at this point.

Old
06-15-2010, 03:38 PM
Shane

Hopefully now we can dump Bieksa and Alberts and sign Hamhuis.

Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 03:39 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Dana Murzyn coming out of retirement right now could probably give Alberts a good battle.
Dana Murzyn

Vs

Andrew Alberts

Of course you would need the "Jason Allison" timing device to compare their relative footspeed:

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 03:43 PM
Proto

Mr. Canucklehead, that was kind of my point. I really do like SOB as a player (for the most part) and think he seems like a great guy. In fact, I bet he's the life of the party and a great guy to have as a friend. But he hasn't to this point learned how to balance his professional and private life -- after being suspended by the team for three games in the middle of a playoff drive, I would have hoped the message might have gotten through.

What I witnessed -- and have otherwise heard -- seems to suggest that it has not. If being suspended doesn't do it, I don't think much will.

Hopefully he can be moved for something at the draft.

Proto is offline   Reply With Quote