HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Off-Season Game Plan

Old
06-15-2010, 01:54 PM
kernkraft

vCash: 500
Off-Season Game Plan

http://tsn.ca/columnists/scott_cullen/?id=324689

kernkraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 02:01 PM
Ceux de Montreal
Horrible proposal!!!

Well, good read. The more I think about it, adding a center isnt fundemantal even with Plekanec's likely departure. If we add two scoring wingers, and retains Moore, we can deal with that hole in the middle. But I'd prefer not.

Guy Boucher told many good things about Desharnais, who knows.

Ceux de Montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 02:08 PM
Rgolt

good read overall

this paragraph bothered me
"A knee injury contributed to Kostitsyn playing in just 59 games last season, but 15 goals and 33 points wasn't enough production and makes it at least conceivable that he's considered a potential trade or even buyout this summer if the Canadiens feel that they can get better production for the money."

I dont think the habs ever really considered buying out AK, and i personally i hope they dont

and also the player ratings are just terrible..
they have Darche ahead of Moore, pouliot and lapierre, they also have MAB ahead of all our dman except Markov and Subban (and 10 more points than Gorges)

it should be interesting to see what the Habs do this summer

Rgolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 02:13 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceux de Montreal View Post
Well, good read. The more I think about it, adding a center isnt fundemantal even with Plekanec's likely departure. If we add two scoring wingers, and retains Moore, we can deal with that hole in the middle. But I'd prefer not.
The Habs are already going to be life-and-death to make the playoffs and Plekanec's role is absolutely crucial. If they let Plekanec walk, they need to replace him with someone who can do the job (ie. not a Lombardi), and that kind of center is rare enough that it practically would have to come via trade. If they go with a hole, they aren't a playoff-caliber team, it's really that simple.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 02:16 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgolt View Post
and also the player ratings are just terrible..
they have Darche ahead of Moore, pouliot and lapierre, they also have MAB ahead of all our dman except Markov and Subban (and 10 more points than Gorges)

it should be interesting to see what the Habs do this summer
You have to consider the sample size. Darche played minimal time and had 10 points in 29 games. Moore may have had 11 points in 21 games with us, but he had 17 points in 48 games with florida. They took into account full NHL season. Lapierre didn't have a great regular season and pouliot dissapeared after a while. yes, many played better than darche, no question about it, but the sample size played a huge role, in the limited time we saw darche in the NHL he was more consistent than the others. BS i know, but I see where the ranking comes from.

LyricalLyricist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 02:20 PM
MathMan

Key quote: "If there is enough scoring, and that's a legitimate question for a team that tied for 25th in the league with 2.56 goals per game last season, then the Canadiens can be a playoff team again, but they need to establish a more controlling offensive game if they are indeed going to hold championship aspirations."

Way to put the finger on the problem. Regardless of the cause, this is the Habs' #1 weakness -- lack of a 'controlling offensive game' -- and it's absolutely killing them.

He also makes a good point about the strength of Montreal's farm.

Surprised he didn't consider the trade-Hamrlik-for-space scenario though.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 03:45 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Gauthier:
"Last year, we changed almost half the team," GM Pierre Gauthier told the Montreal Gazette at the end of the season. "You can't do this every year. We want to keep a good part of the core and continue to build."

He says "you can't do that every year" yet they do this one year and the team goes to the conference finals. Maybe it's not a bad concept.

I hope don't they don't keep too many people.

Kimota is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 03:56 PM
Ginu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Gauthier:
"Last year, we changed almost half the team," GM Pierre Gauthier told the Montreal Gazette at the end of the season. "You can't do this every year. We want to keep a good part of the core and continue to build."

He says "you can't do that every year" yet they do this one year and the team goes to the conference finals. Maybe it's not a bad concept.

I hope don't they don't keep too many people.
I'd say we're only 3 pieces away. That's not changing that many players. You really want them to get rid of the majority of the team that got to the conference finals? are you crazy?

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 04:10 PM
Sargent Pepper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernkraft View Post
Been waiting for this.....thanks for sharing!

Sargent Pepper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 04:18 PM
habsjunkie2*

If he really thinks AK has a chance of being bought out he shouldn't be writing columns for TSN.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 06:29 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
I'd say we're only 3 pieces away. That's not changing that many players. You really want them to get rid of the majority of the team that got to the conference finals? are you crazy?
What was your view of this team before the playoffs?

Kimota is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 06:51 PM
BigTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
You have to consider the sample size. Darche played minimal time and had 10 points in 29 games. Moore may have had 11 points in 21 games with us, but he had 17 points in 48 games with florida. They took into account full NHL season. Lapierre didn't have a great regular season and pouliot dissapeared after a while. yes, many played better than darche, no question about it, but the sample size played a huge role, in the limited time we saw darche in the NHL he was more consistent than the others. BS i know, but I see where the ranking comes from.
Darche fits great as a 13th foward kinda scenerio, works hard plays hard chips in a solid amount of points and is cheap

BigTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 06:56 PM
BigTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Key quote: "If there is enough scoring, and that's a legitimate question for a team that tied for 25th in the league with 2.56 goals per game last season, then the Canadiens can be a playoff team again, but they need to establish a more controlling offensive game if they are indeed going to hold championship aspirations."

Way to put the finger on the problem. Regardless of the cause, this is the Habs' #1 weakness -- lack of a 'controlling offensive game' -- and it's absolutely killing them.

He also makes a good point about the strength of Montreal's farm.

Surprised he didn't consider the trade-Hamrlik-for-space scenario though.

keeping hamrlik for the last season of his contract wouldnt be a bad idea, i know his cap hit looks bad in comparison but he is still a solid dman who can play 20+ minutes a game, would be wise to have him around with a young group of d-men still trying to get established on the habs....subban (less so), o'byrne, weber or carle whoever makes the jump since markov will potencially miss the beginning of the season

Old
Mats NAslund

vCash: 50
Montreal if they can retain Plekanec at 4.5 should be looking at moving Spacek AK SK and Halak.
They need to acquire two physical wingers. One who can score (Penner comes to mind) and another in the Ryan Clowe mould.

Here are my proposal (wishes, dreams whatever)

To Edmonton: AK SK and 3rd round pick - New top line in Edmonton - AK / Gagne / SK
To Montreal: Dustin Penner

Trade number two:

To SJ: Spacek, Halak
To Montreal: Clowe

Sj can use Spacek with the retirement of Blake and Halak will cost less then Nabokov allowing them to keep Marleau.

Montreal gets some grit who can play on the second line with Plekanec and Cammalleri

New top six in Montreal:

Penner Gomez Gionta
Clowe Plekanec Cammalleri

Mats NAslund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BigTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
If he really thinks AK has a chance of being bought out he shouldn't be writing columns for TSN.
agreed

Old
06-15-2010, 07:06 PM
Habs514

The only guy I hope we get in the off season is Patrick Sharp from Chicago.

Habs514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 08:56 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats NAslund View Post
Montreal if they can retain Plekanec at 4.5 should be looking at moving Spacek AK SK and Halak.
They need to acquire two physical wingers. One who can score (Penner comes to mind) and another in the Ryan Clowe mould.

To Edmonton: AK SK and 3rd round pick - New top line in Edmonton - AK / Gagne / SK

Trade number two:

Sj can use Spacek with the retirement of Blake and Halak will cost less then Nabokov allowing them to keep Marleau.

Montreal gets some grit who can play on the second line with Plekanec and Cammalleri

New top six in Montreal:

Penner Gomez Gionta
Both those deals are pretty horrible as far as the Habs are concerned. Hopefully we make neither one.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 10:28 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Please, Gauthier if you can land; Hanzal, Carter, Malone, Clowe, Byfuglien, Sharp, Bolland, or Jordan Staal, I will be very pleased with you. If you can also sign Armstrong and/or Artyukhin, I will also be pleased with you.

If you trade and acquire St. Louis, Nathan Gerbe, Derek Roy, or some other small player we have no need for, I hope you get fired.

Don't be an idiot, everyone knows Montréal needs a big top 6 forward and this better be the summer we get one, damn it.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 10:38 PM
Chomsky

The goal is to get as many quality top 6 players as possible first, then consider size. People don't seem to realize that we only had three top 6 forwards bringing offense past the 1st round; Gionta, Cammy and Gomez. We need to get more pretty damn fast. We need at least one or one and an upgrade over Plekanec. I'd even consider a guy like Umberger given his playoffs pedigree.

Chomsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 10:38 PM
Domenic

Quote:

Trade number two:

New top six in Montreal:

Penner Gomez Gionta
Wow - two horrible deals.

My wishlist:
D Paul Martin
D Zbynek Michalek
F Todd Bertuzzi.

Domenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 10:49 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domenic View Post
Wow - two horrible deals.

My wishlist:
D Paul Martin
D Zbynek Michalek
F Todd Bertuzzi.
lawlz. We already have 7 d.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 11:02 PM
Moester

Send a message via AIM to Moester Send a message via MSN to Moester
Quote:

Trade number two:

New top six in Montreal:

Penner Gomez Gionta
I don't see what either trade brings to these teams. Spacek would be buried on SJ who need cap space. Clowe is a great player and I don't see them giving him up for Halak when there are good goaltenders available on the market for much cheaper.

Edmonton is looking to dump out the under-performers and Penner is one of the bright spots in their lineup and is unavailable unless we're sending someone like Subhan back. I could see Edmonton as trading partners, but Penner is not in the cards.

Here's the type of trade I would see to Edmonton.

To Edmonton:

Sergei K

To Montreal:

Ethan Moreau, 4th round pick

Sergei gives them a young skilled winger who could get the opportunity for some top minutes on their squad. Moreau is on the outs for Edmonton, according to TSN they're considering buying him out. Moreau is big, can still move and has decent grit and leadership qualties. He would be a much nicer fit on our third line than Sergei and could play on the second line at need.

This gives Edmonton some cap relief, we get a player with some use and pick in return.

Moester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 08:01 AM
mtlhockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs514 View Post
The only guy I hope we get in the off season is Patrick Sharp from Chicago.
Agree 100%

mtlhockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 08:16 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEPG24 View Post
Darche fits great as a 13th foward kinda scenerio, works hard plays hard chips in a solid amount of points and is cheap
I agree, I'd like to see him re signed and battle the young guys for 13th and 14th spots up front, if the kids step up then having him in Hamilton as insurance for injuries as well as a good leadership presence.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 08:18 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

Trade number two:

New top six in Montreal:

Penner Gomez Gionta
I'm pretty sure Hemsky is miles and miles ahead of SK in terms of 1st line winger and he'd be ahead of AK also.

I'm pretty sure the Habs would do that but the Oilers would want more.

Also, as usual people overvalue Clowe, yeah he's a nice guy to have in those stretches where he plays well, but when he isn't he hurts the team with poor decisions and no offensive production, pl,us he is not worth Halak let alone throwing in Spacek.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote