HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Philadelphia Street Hockey

Old
06-14-2010, 11:00 PM
JonnyGaloshes

vCash: 500
Philadelphia Street Hockey

This run, devastating loss and all, has provided me with more than a couple months of passive entertainment - it has allowed me fall in love all over again with playing a game I've obsessed over since I was 4 years old.

Hockey was the sport in my neighborhood growing up. Almost everyday after school, my friends and I would drag our rollerblades, pvc goals, and Mylec balls to our alley and play until the sun went down and our parents dragged us inside for dinner.

Once a year we would challenge the kids from the neighborhood next to ours to a game. Girls came to watch, brothers and sisters came to support, and whichever team won would have bragging rights at school until the next big game.

These annual games became so big, with so many kids informally playing the sport, that our town was pretty much forced to form a legitimate league. I'm pretty sure that league exists to this day.

In any case, playing hockey was a huge part of my childhood - a part that I've always regretted letting slip away.

With this year's run inspiring so many in this city, my roommates and I were finally able to convince a bunch of people to pick up the sport again. We've played about five games in the past few weeks at the beautiful rink at Front and Washington, with turnouts of around 10-15 people each time.

I want to play more. I want to see people playing on the streets of this city again. Everyone here is obviously a huge hockey fan - let's participate in the sport we value enough to spend hours talking about with strangers.

I hope this thread will turn into a place where pickup games are planned and good friends are made.

Who wants to play some ****ing hockey?

JonnyGaloshes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 01:47 AM
F L Y E R S
Orange & Black

Yea, Rizzo Rink is nice. I live a couple blocks from there. I've decided I'm going to buy roller skates again and get back into it. I haven't played roller in 6 years. I am a dek(foot) hockey player now traveling all over for tournaments. If you see a real tall kid, it will probably be me. I'm probably like 6'9 on skates lol

F L Y E R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 02:42 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by F L Y E R S View Post
Yea, Rizzo Rink is nice. I live a couple blocks from there. I've decided I'm going to buy roller skates again and get back into it. I haven't played roller in 6 years. I am a dek(foot) hockey player now traveling all over for tournaments. If you see a real tall kid, it will probably be me. I'm probably like 6'9 on skates lol
this is coincidental, as i live about 4 blocks from rizzo rink and am also about 6'9'' on skates... well, realistically about 6'7''

we better not play at the same time... that's how worlds collide

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 11:07 AM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

I live in South Jersey, but Ill make the drive up to play if we can get enough people, for sure.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 11:13 AM
F L Y E R S
Orange & Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
this is coincidental, as i live about 4 blocks from rizzo rink and am also about 6'9'' on skates... well, realistically about 6'7''

we better not play at the same time... that's how worlds collide
We could be on the same line. That would be a sight to see....win through intimidation lol. It's not everyday you see 2 6'5+ guys on the rink.

F L Y E R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 11:43 AM
jb**

provide a date and time. your brought it up, orginize it. a ball or puck? never layer roller with a ball before. always used a ball when on foot

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 12:20 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
provide a date and time. your brought it up, orginize it. a ball or puck? never layer roller with a ball before. always used a ball when on foot
I like using the ball better outside. Indoor is a different story, but it is hard to find the right puck to glide on outdoor surfaces. Then again, you have to find a ball that is not too soft to play out in these temperatures. The red ones usually do pretty well outside.

Old
06-15-2010, 01:33 PM
Mylec 22

When I was a kid and lived up in the northeast section of the city, we would play right in the middle of the street all the time...."Car!"....then we moved to Manayunk and played down at Venice Island street hockey rink. I wish I was back up in Philly to get up a game again :-P

Mylec 22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 02:23 PM
JSTAFF

I would play too, just let me know when.

JSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 04:58 PM
JonnyGaloshes

I honestly expected to get home from work today and find this thread on the third page with no responses... glad I was wrong.

This might be short notice, but we have about 10 people ready to play tomorrow night at around 6:30-7 if the weather holds out. If you want to play, feel free to just show up or PM me and I'll add you to the email chain we have going.

I think we're going to play on Saturday as well, which might be easier for people living outside the city. There's no time set as of yet, but I'll post it when we figure it out.

For those who were wondering, we use a ball (one of those weighted red-orange Mylecs) and all play on skates. Some of us wear gloves and a couple people have been wearing shin guards, but other than that no real pads are involved.

Old
06-15-2010, 06:02 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyGaloshes View Post
I honestly expected to get home from work today and find this thread on the third page with no responses... glad I was wrong.

This might be short notice, but we have about 10 people ready to play tomorrow night at around 6:30-7 if the weather holds out. If you want to play, feel free to just show up or PM me and I'll add you to the email chain we have going.

I think we're going to play on Saturday as well, which might be easier for people living outside the city. There's no time set as of yet, but I'll post it when we figure it out.

For those who were wondering, we use a ball (one of those weighted red-orange Mylecs) and all play on skates. Some of us wear gloves and a couple people have been wearing shin guards, but other than that no real pads are involved.
I might just be able to make it. Where is it exactly located?

Old
06-15-2010, 07:27 PM
JonnyGaloshes

Front and Washington in South Philly. Right under 95.

The actual address is 1001 South Front Street Philadelphia, Pa. 19147...if you need to mapquest it or whatever

Hope to see you there

Old
06-16-2010, 11:46 PM
JonnyGaloshes

My apologies to anyone who came out tonight. There were some guys already on the rink when we got there who were claiming permits and refusing to play us. We had to move the game to a spot in Darby just outside of the city.

Even with the confusion and change of location, we still managed 11 people...so things are looking good.

A few of the regulars can't make it on Saturday, so with Sunday being Fathers' day we decided to try to set up a game for Monday night. If anyone wants in let me know.

Old
06-17-2010, 07:38 AM
JSTAFF

Quote:
My apologies to anyone who came out tonight. There were some guys already on the rink when we got there who were claiming permits and refusing to play us. We had to move the game to a spot in Darby just outside of the city.

Even with the confusion and change of location, we still managed 11 people...so things are looking good.

A few of the regulars can't make it on Saturday, so with Sunday being Fathers' day we decided to try to set up a game for Monday night. If anyone wants in let me know.
I can't play on Mondays as my league games are on mondays. Let me know the time after that and I'll make it appoint to come by.

JSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 09:43 PM

how old are the guys playing?

143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 09:58 PM
Cartered

Send a message via AIM to Cartered Send a message via MSN to Cartered
Quote:

Wow, what dicks. That's the first I've ever heard of people already on a rink not wanting to let others join in (minus league games). Where I'm from, the handful of people who go to the rinks would be absolutely thrilled to have more people join in (provided they weren't dicks themselves). Pickup hockey is such a small niche, so the more the merrier.

It's a bit in the opposite direction, but I know a group of guys who play Monday and/or Tuesday nights at a rink in Bensalem. I don't know what it's called, but it's next to an outdoor skate park and I pass it on the way to Neshaminy Mall from NE Philly (about 10 minutes away). It's a relaxed game, some guys skate, some wear shoes, but it's pretty fun. I played for the first time this week and I'm gonna try to get back up next week.

Cartered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 10:03 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

If you guys wanted to come over to Marlton, I have 3 hockey rinks behind my house. The Spring roller hockey league for kids is over so the rinks are free to play on. The rinks are just about NHL size. Maybe a bit smaller, but not by much. Each has there own benches. They just resurfaced and repainted them, so they are in good condition except for maybe a few rough spots.

Old
06-17-2010, 11:04 PM
JonnyGaloshes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 143 View Post
how old are the guys playing?
We range from about 22 to 30.

I'd love to play at some other rinks and try to merge pickup games. I'll ask around and see if I can get a caravan together.

I lied in my last post about a Monday game...I meant Tuesday. It would probably be around 7. If you think you want to/can make it, post a reply so I can get an idea of how many people we might have.

Last edited by JonnyGaloshes: 06-17-2010 at 11:11 PM.
Old
06-25-2010, 09:51 AM
JonnyGaloshes

Anyone interested in playing tomorrow around 3 or 4?

Old
06-25-2010, 12:31 PM
Danglous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pronger is a robot View Post
Wow, what dicks. That's the first I've ever heard of people already on a rink not wanting to let others join in (minus league games). Where I'm from, the handful of people who go to the rinks would be absolutely thrilled to have more people join in (provided they weren't dicks themselves). Pickup hockey is such a small niche, so the more the merrier.

It's a bit in the opposite direction, but I know a group of guys who play Monday and/or Tuesday nights at a rink in Bensalem. I don't know what it's called, but it's next to an outdoor skate park and I pass it on the way to Neshaminy Mall from NE Philly (about 10 minutes away). It's a relaxed game, some guys skate, some wear shoes, but it's pretty fun. I played for the first time this week and I'm gonna try to get back up next week.
I played there before. Its called Bensalem Park lol. The surface is crap though, straight asphalt but I guess the rink itself is nice. I play my pickup at Forsythia mostly. Its a nice outdoor rink with a good surface, just bring your own nets. Its in Levittown about a 5 minute drive from my house. I actually play with the same group of people I have been for 6 years every weekend at 8am Sat and Sun.

Also, it costs money ($150) but we could always rent out the Sportsplex in Feasterville for an hour and a half or more (the guy who runs it is pretty cool, if noones scheduled after you he will let you stay late). Awesome rinks, I play in a couple leagues there.

Ive also played at a place in Delran, NJ with good surface, nets, and lighting. Its right over the Burlington Bristol Bridge.

Im also down for ice hockey if anyones ever looking to play. My home rink is Grundy but I can drive to NE Skatezone.

Danglous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 12:45 PM
ihatebraydenschenn

Hockey was the only sport I didn't play and it turned out to be my favorite sport.

I need to get my skating down before playing in any league, but I'll get in a rollerball league sooner or later.

ihatebraydenschenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 02:28 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Quote:
Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 View Post
If you guys wanted to come over to Marlton, I have 3 hockey rinks behind my house. The Spring roller hockey league for kids is over so the rinks are free to play on. The rinks are just about NHL size. Maybe a bit smaller, but not by much. Each has there own benches. They just resurfaced and repainted them, so they are in good condition except for maybe a few rough spots.
Really, the rinks that im talking about in this post are PERFECT for pickup hockey. Let me know if you guys ever wanted to hold a pickup game here. I live 20 minutes from center city so it shouldnt be a bad drive for most of you.

Old
07-08-2010, 10:05 PM
nintendoxtapes

i've been looking to jump in on a pick up game. has anyone verified a weekly game down at the rizzo rink? if so, details?

nintendoxtapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 12:36 AM
NYRMatt

vCash: 1275
The real question is... Would a Ranger fan in Philadelphia be welcomed at such an event?

NYRMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 12:52 AM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRMatt View Post
The real question is... Would a Ranger fan in Philadelphia be welcomed at such an event?
god no.