HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Flyers Unhappy with JVR?

Old
06-15-2010, 03:58 PM
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
I hate Eskin with a passion.. Whatever he says in his eyes is right.. Its hilarious listening to his show and hearing people prove him wrong and him saying "No thats enough, see ya" and hanging up on them...

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 06:48 PM
Viller

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
Maybe the Flyers watched JVR and Kane compete in the same Finals and grew chagrined. I know I would if I were them.

And considering that a) the window for this team grows short and b) JVR probably does have sizable value, it is not so ridiculous to speculate that the Flyers will listen to deals including him.
Your an idiot, good christ....

Viller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 08:35 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Meh. Doubtful.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 01:15 AM
mercury

I really don't want to trade JVR, either, but would this be fair?

JVR, Bourdon, and Parent for Halak and Gorges?

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 01:23 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
I actually saw like 3 or 4 people with your avy during the playoff run, I think you have alot of butt obsessed stalkers... I'm jealous.
If I could I would gladly give you my "butt-obsessed" stalkers, though it makes me wonder what you want them for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post

I think so, but I don't think they'd do it.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 01:37 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post

I wouldn't do that...

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 03:48 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-train View Post
I doubt JVR gets traded. More like they'll hire him a nutritionist and a personal trainer and make him bust his ass this summer.
You would hope he would be more self motivated here. Guys you have to light a fire under their butts always worries me.I just hope he is willing to pay the sacrifice to be a stud NHL'er and not a mama's boy, He has always disappeared for stretches in his career and that always leaves room for doubt. I am pulling for the guy so we shall see what happens this season as far as improvement goes,.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 07:31 AM
Chicken Chaser
Zaphod Beeblebrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
You would hope he would be more self motivated here. Guys you have to light a fire under their butts always worries me.I just hope he is willing to pay the sacrifice to be a stud NHL'er and not a mama's boy, He has always disappeared for stretches in his career and that always leaves room for doubt. I am pulling for the guy so we shall see what happens this season as far as improvement goes,.
couldn't have said it better myself. Not saying that's entirely his case after we've only seen him for one season to this point. But I think playing with that edge is either something you have as a player/person or you don't... Its a similar reason as to why people on here including myself are so confused over Coburn's play for example, specifically his lack of consistent physicality. Because given his natural size, that man should utterly dominate people in that department yet he plays softer than...

Chicken Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 08:32 AM
shamski7

Send a message via AIM to shamski7
How ya doin TOUGH GUY?!

shamski7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 09:39 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
I'm willing to cut him some slack in this department. He didn't play in the CHL so he didn't have to deal with a high number of games and the more physical brand of hockey. Not only that, John Stevens and Peter Laviolette have very different opinions of work ethic so I expect every player will come into camp in far better shape than they had been under Stevens' tenure. JvR knows what's expected of him so let's see how he deals with it.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 09:47 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viller View Post
You gotta be on point with your contractions if you're gonna go around calling people idiots. If not in general, then at least in the actual insulting post.

Anyway, nothing he said was that crazy (at least not in that post).

Old
06-16-2010, 11:17 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
nothing he said was that crazy (at least not in that post)
LOL, enjoyed it

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 11:19 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viller View Post
If you are in the Flyers organization and you watched Kane play and watched JVR play, you'd be unsettled.

And, as I said, the window is short.

If the Flyers had, say, Price instead of JVR during this past playoff run, we'd be celebrating.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 11:24 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
If you are in the Flyers organization and you watched Kane play and watched JVR play, you'd be unsettled.

And, as I said, the window is short.

If the Flyers had, say, Price instead of JVR during this past playoff run, we'd be celebrating.
If the Flyers had, say, Crosby instead of Giroux during this past playoff run, we'd be celebrating.

My god, everyone around here is a broken record.

It sucks we didn't win. Get over it. You can't control what happened, and you don't know what would've happened had you changed something.

Old
06-16-2010, 11:28 AM
reever29

Quote:
Maybe the Flyers watched JVR and Kane compete in the same Finals and grew chagrined. I know I would if I were them.

And considering that a) the window for this team grows short and b) JVR probably does have sizable value, it is not so ridiculous to speculate that the Flyers will listen to deals including him.
Leafs Fan, Coming in Peace. Just for the record, I am sick of all the Tomas Kaberle proposals, but I couldn't resist.

Would Flyers fans consider... Kaberle and Kulemin, for JVR? I would even think that Kaberle would probably negotiate an extension with the Stanley Cup finalist Flyers.

Just wondering, also, what a great run you guys had, I was pulling for you, mostly to keep Hossa from winning yet again!!

reever29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 11:30 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by reever29 View Post
Leafs Fan, Coming in Peace. Just for the record, I am sick of all the Tomas Kaberle proposals, but I couldn't resist.

Would Flyers fans consider... Kaberle and Kulemin, for JVR? I would even think that Kaberle would probably negotiate an extension with the Stanley Cup finalist Flyers.

Just wondering, also, what a great run you guys had, I was pulling for you, mostly to keep Hossa from winning yet again!!

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 11:38 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by reever29 View Post

Kaberle is a good player, but as far as defensemen are concerned I don't think the Flyers really need what he brings as much as they just need a steady hand on the third pairing and a goalie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
If the Flyers had, say, Crosby instead of Giroux during this past playoff run, we'd be celebrating.
I don't see anyone proposing Crosby for Giroux proposals. His comment pertains to a trade that is actually being proposed, and he is making a point about what the team needs are. He isn't trying to say Price > JVR, rather that we needed Price more than we needed JVR.

Quote:
You can't control what happened, and you don't know what would've happened had you changed something.
Abysmal goal tending most likely cost us a cup. That's about as close to a fact as a statement like that can get. That is not a personal attack on our goalies, they did their bests, they're just not very good. The quality of chances Chicago was scoring on were not, for the most part, grade-a shots. I'm not trying to say everything Leighton let in was a soft goal or anything, but a lot of them were stoppable.

Old
06-16-2010, 11:44 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Abysmal goal tending most likely cost us a cup. That's about as close to a fact as a statement like that can get. That is not a personal attack on our goalies, they did their bests, they're just not very good. The quality of chances Chicago was scoring on were not, for the most part, grade-a shots. I'm not trying to say everything Leighton let in was a soft goal or anything, but a lot of them were stoppable.
Oh, I completely agree, but I'm not okay with a pity party.

Hearing about how if we had given up a large part of our future at the trade deadline for a goalie when we didn't even know if we could put ourselves back into the postseason with all of our injuries is just ****ing annoying at a point. Right now everyone is citing the same ******** to rip off Carter or JVR or even Giroux. Seriously, we know it would've been nice to have a Stanley Cup right now, but at the time, holding pat was the correct decision.

Old
06-16-2010, 11:47 AM
Viller

Quote:

My god, everyone around here is a broken record.

It sucks we didn't win. Get over it. You can't control what happened, and you don't know what would've happened had you changed something.
Couldn't say it better myself.

I dont think I need to explain JXC's dumbass commenst anymore, fortunately.

edit: Kane's performance has nothing to do with what the Flyers decide to do with JVR, simple as that.

Last edited by Viller: 06-16-2010 at 11:59 AM.
Viller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 11:57 AM
Jester

Quote:

Hearing about how if we had given up a large part of our future at the trade deadline for a goalie when we didn't even know if we could put ourselves back into the postseason with all of our injuries is just ****ing annoying at a point. Right now everyone is citing the same ******** to rip off Carter or JVR or even Giroux. Seriously, we know it would've been nice to have a Stanley Cup right now, but at the time, holding pat was the correct decision.
What are you talking about? We were in quite comfortable position at the trade deadline.

The deadline was March 3rd, and on that date we were 8 games over .500, and had been consistently rising in the standings since the beginning of January. In fact, we'd gone 14-7-1 and looked like we had an outside shot at getting to the 4 seed. (Unfortunately, I don't know where we can find standings by date.) Indeed, the team at that point, outside of the 17 games of suck, had been playing at WELL OVER 100 point pace in all their other games.

Thus, why I was so furious at the deadline and prior to the deadline explicitly argued that Holmgren needed to approach the deadline as if we were a contender (because we were) and understand that we needed a goalie if we were going to cash in on that fact. He didn't. He stood pat, and our goalie *ed us in the end.

So, no, holding pat was not the correct decision.

Leighton got hurt March 16, and Carter got hurt March 21 (obviously both after the deadline). We went 4-7-1 the rest of the way, and that's the only reason the playoffs were in question at all.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 12:03 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
What are you talking about? We were in quite comfortable position at the trade deadline.

The deadline was March 3rd, and on that date we were 8 games over .500, and had been consistently rising in the standings since the beginning of January. In fact, we'd gone 14-7-1 and looked like we had an outside shot at getting to the 4 seed. (Unfortunately, I don't know where we can find standings by date.) Indeed, the team at that point, outside of the 17 games of suck, had been playing at WELL OVER 100 point pace in all their other games.

Thus, why I was so furious at the deadline and prior to the deadline explicitly argued that Holmgren needed to approach the deadline as if we were a contender (because we were) and understand that we needed a goalie if we were going to cash in on that fact. He didn't. He stood pat, and our goalie *ed us in the end.

So, no, holding pat was not the correct decision.

Leighton got hurt March 16, and Carter got hurt March 21 (obviously both after the deadline). We went 4-7-1 the rest of the way, and that's the only reason the playoffs were in question at all.
We were in the postseason, but at that point, we knew Emery wouldn't be returning. Our season was still fairly uncertain as far as I'm concerned. At that point, I also viewed Leighton far differently. I didn't think he'd keep it up after the break.

Old
06-16-2010, 12:07 PM
Jester

Quote:
We were in the postseason, but at that point, we knew Emery wouldn't be returning. Our season was still fairly uncertain as far as I'm concerned. At that point, I also viewed Leighton far differently. I didn't think he'd keep it up after the break.
...I'm completely confused how this is an argument in favor of Holmgren standing pat on the goaltending position.

1) Emery was hurt and not coming back.

2) You didn't believe Leighton would keep it up after the break (the deadline was immediately following the break).

Sounds like he should have made a trade for a goalie at the time, huh? Now, maybe he tried and couldn't get a deal done or whatever (though, he says he didn't). However, I simply don't understand how Biron couldn't have been had from the Isles for something... they had no incentive to keep him around.

Old
06-16-2010, 12:08 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:

He made a few points.

If we had Price instead of JVR, we're probably looking at a cup win.

Then he commented that the window is short.

When I read the two comments together I see it as an endorsement of a JVR for Price trade, to get us a grade-a goalie while the championship window is still open. I don't see any *****ing with the benefit of hindsight or anything else. He's just saying that JVR still looks a ways off, and Price could be the difference in the next few years (which he emphasized by his hypothetical assertion about this year).

Old
06-16-2010, 12:11 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
He made a few points.

If we had Price instead of JVR, we're probably looking at a cup win.

Then he commented that the window is short.

When I read the two comments together I see it as an endorsement of a JVR for Price trade, to get us a grade-a goalie while the championship window is still open. I don't see any *****ing with the benefit of hindsight or anything else. He's just saying that JVR still looks a ways off, and Price could be the difference in the next few years (which he emphasized by his hypothetical assertion about this year).
I guess that's possible, but by the time Emery got hurt, I had already tossed away this season. I think Holmgren thought the same. When Carter got hurt too, it looked like standing pat was the right move.

Then we blew everyone out of the water and even got healthier as the postseason went along believe it or not.

We can sit here and complain about hindsight, but I'd rather have not overpaid for Price with JVR had we missed the postseason.

Would I trade JVR for a Cup? You bet your ass I would, but I think Holmgren made the right decision based on the circumstances when he made it.

Old
06-16-2010, 12:13 PM
Jester

Quote:
I guess that's possible, but by the time Emery got hurt, I had already tossed away this season. I think Holmgren thought the same. When Carter got hurt too, it looked like standing pat was the right move.

Then we blew everyone out of the water and even got healthier as the postseason went along believe it or not.
Carter got hurt AFTER the trade deadline. His injury has ZERO BEARING on analyzing the decision Holmgren made at the trade deadline. Unless you're suggesting he can see the future.

Tossing away the season when Emery got hurt is ludicrous, as well. Why? Because you can make a trade for another goalie...

Quote:
Would I trade JVR for a Cup? You bet your ass I would, but I think Holmgren made the right decision based on the circumstances when he made it.
Given that JVR was a major zero down the stretch, and a big part of the reason we almost missed the playoffs was because Boucher absolutely blew when he first started making starts... I kind of doubt missing the playoffs would have been a real issue if Price came to the club on March 3rd.

If you want to do hindsight analysis, the real issue is that a deal for improvement in net down the stretch almost certainly alters our seed and that changes the dynamics of the playoffs considerably.