HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Be all end all statistical comparison of Price vs. Halak 2009-2010 Regular Season

Old
06-15-2010, 08:29 PM
subbanged
Gal-Sub-Price-Pacio

vCash: 500
The Be all end all statistical comparison of Price vs. Halak 2009-2010 Regular Season

I've finally completed the Large scale graphs of the entire season for Carey Price and Jaroslav Halak, took me total like 4 hours to get done so please just appreciate that,

Some points of note the stats do taper to a point at the end and as ive said before in the earlier one I did of just the fall/ christmas season it gives a more indicative view of where there seasons where heading,

The injuries shown at the top and do show a spike in performance for Jaro as he took over at the point when players began returning.

Anyways guys, this is just to provide something for the board please don't fight im just showing there not that far off in reality

have fun
Attached Files
File Type: xls Carey Price vs. Halak Comparison.xls‎ (84.5 KB, 257 views)

subbanged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 08:35 PM
twosaints

Biased!

Joking aside, nice to see the breakdown game-by game and be able to scroll through the stats individually and chronologically. It gives a bit of an overall idea of the high, lows, and flow of their game throughout the season. Thanks for taking the time to do this

twosaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 08:36 PM
subbanged
Gal-Sub-Price-Pacio

Quote:
Originally Posted by twosaints View Post
Biased!

Joking aside, nice to see the breakdown game-by game and be able to scroll through the stats individually and chronologically. It gives a bit of an overall idea of the high, lows, and flow of their game throughout the season. Thanks for taking the time to do this
No problem man, its nice for it to be appreciated

Old
06-15-2010, 08:51 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACCIDENT View Post
Regardless of whatever the exact point was at the time, how anyone proceeds to interpret it, or to whatever ends this will be used in the future, I can certainly appreciate the time and effort it took to compile and display this much data.

One question though: Price's "line" doubles back on itself to a Jan. 12th data point. What's going on there?

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 09:04 PM
subbanged
Gal-Sub-Price-Pacio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Regardless of whatever the exact point was at the time, how anyone proceeds to interpret it, or to whatever ends this will be used in the future, I can certainly appreciate the time and effort it took to compile and display this much data.

One question though: Price's "line" doubles back on itself to a Jan. 12th data point. What's going on there?
No idea actually, I tried a few times to clean that up and no matter what I did it didn't fix it. At that point i was too tired to work anymore on it and hoped no one would call me out on it

******* jk

Old
06-15-2010, 09:09 PM
m00ks

Nice work.

So who should we trade?

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 09:26 PM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
gah i dont have Microsoft Office on my home computer and can't download files on my work computer i hate that

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 09:39 PM
anctilndg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
gah i dont have Microsoft Office on my home computer and can't download files on my work computer i hate that
get open office its free

Quote:
Good job man, thx for donating your time, too share this with us.

anctilndg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 10:09 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

As thrilled as I am to see yet another Price vs Halak thread

Thanks for taking the time to do this up ACCIDENT.

06-15-2010, 10:11 PM
otto bond

Nice work. It took me a bit to understand how you numbers worked but great job. I like both our goalie and we are or so it seems, in a position where one has to go but I don't like it. History has shown that goalies fetch minimum in a trade so why rush trading one of them but on the other hand, both goalies have potential to swing things the other way sort of speak.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 11:51 PM
macavoy

vCash: 243
all I see is numbers, who won?

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 12:15 AM
WhiskeySeven
Enlarged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
Halak but it's very slight. At least, that's from what I understood.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 12:25 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
The Montréal Canadiens.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 12:33 AM
InglewoodJack

vCash: 1340
Can we sticky this? I mean, anything you want to know about the damned debate is in the OP. And that's some serious hard work right there.

InglewoodJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 12:38 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
wow..I'm impressed. It took time to do it. I have nothing but respect and props to give.

While, the statistical data still leaves little in terms of finding a conclusion. It helps us understand the peaks of each player this season.

Unfortunately, it confused me more lol. You can easily make a case that Price's low is higher than halak's low, Price's high is also greater than halak's high(mind you, at this point, there was little data as it was beginning of season) and that price remained over .910(ish) for a longer period than Halak did. However, that being said, Halak clearly had a higher ceiling this year towards the end. Towards the end, both were fairly consistent, or, more likely, the drop off was not long enough to change an entire season's worth of statistical data.

The injuries also interest me. It seems Halak flourished when we started getting the players back, whereas Price wasn't effected as much as he had a .910(ish) save percentage even before they returned. One could make a case Price can work with less, and one can make a case Halak makes the most out of more.

I'd also like to point out, you have Markov returning for March 2nd(i didn't verify it, but i'll assume it's right), but contrary to what many argue Price and Halak DID NOT benefit as greatly as some suggest, in terms of Save Percentage and GAA anyway.

In the GAA side of things, it seems pretty clear that Halak was superior to price in this category throughout the season. It's interesting to consider that near october 26, 2009, Price and halak had very similar save percentages(both below .900 btw), yet, Price had a much higher GAA. He was clearly faced with more shots at this point in time.

I have more to say, but it's merely speculation unless I have a shots for, goals for, and other statistical data. I, nor can anyone else conclude, by these statistics and data that the team played better or took more chances in front of Price/Halak. One would suggest if price got more shots, the team played terrible in front of him, or perhaps, if the habs as well took more shots and scored more, they had more faith in Price(at that point in time) and took more chances in consequence. Like i said, speculation, and that part cannot be conclusive for me obviously.

Once again, thanks for the write up. Great job.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 01:09 AM
LesCanadiens

Quite impressive, ACCIDENT...all the credit in the world for doing that...but no offense, to me the only stat the counts, is how many games I watch. I seem to get the best idea of who I like better as a player that way.

LesCanadiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 08:05 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
The Montréal Canadiens.
Indeed.

Old
06-16-2010, 08:16 AM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
wow..I'm impressed. It took time to do it. I have nothing but respect and props to give.

While, the statistical data still leaves little in terms of finding a conclusion. It helps us understand the peaks of each player this season.

Unfortunately, it confused me more lol. You can easily make a case that Price's low is higher than halak's low, Price's high is also greater than halak's high(mind you, at this point, there was little data as it was beginning of season) and that price remained over .910(ish) for a longer period than Halak did. However, that being said, Halak clearly had a higher ceiling this year towards the end. Towards the end, both were fairly consistent, or, more likely, the drop off was not long enough to change an entire season's worth of statistical data.
The injuries also interest me. It seems Halak flourished when we started getting the players back, whereas Price wasn't effected as much as he had a .910(ish) save percentage even before they returned. One could make a case Price can work with less, and one can make a case Halak makes the most out of more.

I'd also like to point out, you have Markov returning for March 2nd(i didn't verify it, but i'll assume it's right), but contrary to what many argue Price and Halak DID NOT benefit as greatly as some suggest, in terms of Save Percentage and GAA anyway.

In the GAA side of things, it seems pretty clear that Halak was superior to price in this category throughout the season. It's interesting to consider that near october 26, 2009, Price and halak had very similar save percentages(both below .900 btw), yet, Price had a much higher GAA. He was clearly faced with more shots at this point in time.

I have more to say, but it's merely speculation unless I have a shots for, goals for, and other statistical data. I, nor can anyone else conclude, by these statistics and data that the team played better or took more chances in front of Price/Halak. One would suggest if price got more shots, the team played terrible in front of him, or perhaps, if the habs as well took more shots and scored more, they had more faith in Price(at that point in time) and took more chances in consequence. Like i said, speculation, and that part cannot be conclusive for me obviously.

Once again, thanks for the write up. Great job.
This is how I feel. I like both of them but if I was face with making a decision on who to keep, I keep Price. But hey nothing wrong with those who keeps Halak.

Buttom line is, charts or stats can be misleading at time for the good or the bad of the player.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 08:39 AM
Pleky Roks

Quote:
I've finally completed the Large scale graphs of the entire season for Carey Price and Jaroslav Halak, took me total like 4 hours to get done so please just appreciate that,

Some points of note the stats do taper to a point at the end and as ive said before in the earlier one I did of just the fall/ christmas season it gives a more indicative view of where there seasons where heading,

The injuries shown at the top and do show a spike in performance for Jaro as he took over at the point when players began returning.

Anyways guys, this is just to provide something for the board please don't fight im just showing there not that far off in reality

have fun

Great work on the spreadsheet!!! Its nice to see the numbers for both goalies....but as far as I'm concerned, Wins are the biggest stat that matters in my eyes.

The team just didn't win with Price in the net. I have no idea why, but the team just seemed to be more relaxed, they played better and seemed more comfortable when Halak was in the net as opposed to Price. Halak was consistantly good for the Habs all season. A goalie can't play perfectly every game and he can't make every save, but he consistantly provided solid goaltending for the Habs in every game he played....he didn't get blown out or lose games for the team. Price let in a lot of questionable goals....a lot of softies in my eyes....and it always seemed to get worse from there and the Habs would end up losing a game they should have won.

Anyways, people can say what they like about Halak and Price, but one thing is for sure.....when it mattered the most, Halak stepped up and EARNED the #1 job in Montreal....it wasn't given to him like it was to Price....Halak earned it and he deserves the chance to see what he can do with it. We've seen what Price can do over the last 3 seasons and it hasn't been awful, but it certainly hasn't been great either. Halak stole the #1 starters job in the first season he was given the chance to play on a consistant basis....thats all I need to support Halak.

Pleky Roks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 09:26 AM
Perrah

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalakRulz View Post
Price let in a lot of questionable goals....a lot of softies in my eyes....and it always seemed to get worse from there and the Habs would end up losing a game they should have won.

Anyways, people can say what they like about Halak and Price, but one thing is for sure.....when it mattered the most, Halak stepped up and EARNED the #1 job in Montreal....it wasn't given to him like it was to Price....Halak earned it and he deserves the chance to see what he can do with it. We've seen what Price can do over the last 3 seasons and it hasn't been awful, but it certainly hasn't been great either. Halak stole the #1 starters job in the first season he was given the chance to play on a consistant basis....thats all I need to support Halak.
I found that the team would fold on the first goal against price alot of the time regardless of if it was weak, the defenses fault or a ****** deflection in until february. He didnt give up as many weak ones after that, the only one I can think of is the philly game but he played great for the rest of the game.

Id be interested in what prices stats were before Huet was traded, to be said that he was given the job. He showed them no reason why he shouldnt have been given the job until after the all star game of 2009. This is the biggest whiny story out there from people saying halak got screwed for "3 years".

Another telling tale is that montreals goal scoring went up from 2.13/game to 2.73/game when markov came back. Not excuses just facts. 123 goals in 43 games with markov, 79 goals in 37 without. 2 games unaccounted for but I just took the scores from gamelogs with markov and from gomez's without markov. Even if they score 10 goals in the 2 games it raises it to 2.28 goals/game.

Edit:Well done on the excel file btw.

Perrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 09:34 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrah View Post
I found that the team would fold on the first goal against price alot of the time regardless of if it was weak, the defenses fault or a ****** deflection in until february. He didnt give up as many weak ones after that, the only one I can think of is the philly game but he played great for the rest of the game.

Id be interested in what prices stats were before Huet was traded, to be said that he was given the job. He showed them no reason why he shouldnt have been given the job until after the all star game of 2009. This is the biggest whiny story out there from people saying halak got screwed for "3 years".

Another telling tale is that montreals goal scoring went up from 2.13/game to 2.73/game when markov came back. Not excuses just facts. 123 goals in 43 games with markov, 79 goals in 37 without. 2 games unaccounted for but I just took the scores from gamelogs with markov and from gomez's without markov. Even if they score 10 goals in the 2 games it raises it to 2.28 goals/game.

Edit:Well done on the excel file btw.
I seem to remember them being similar, but not quite as good (I want to say both GAA and SV%, but I wouldn't put much money on that). All I know for sure, is that Huet had a 2.55 GAA and 0.916 SV% when he was traded and his last game was Feb. 21st. And for those who enjoyed the "Halak played against weaker opposition" discussions, that was much more the case when Price's starts were scheduled that season, if I remember correctly. I'm sure I could work up the motivation to get those numbers for you after the soccer game.

Obviously, though, they liked what they saw... and why not.

edit: Okay, save percentage didn't take that long. Price had 0.910 at the time (c.f. Huet's 0.916). GAA is gonna be dicier, as fractions of minutes->fractions of games->true/exact GAA is going to be annoying.

edit 2: Okay, I get 1446.9 mins played (24.115 games), and 68 GA, which gives Price a GAA of 2.82 at the time (c.f. Huet's 2.55).

edit 3: Halak's was much easier, lol. Over a whopping 39.983 minutes, he posted a "GAA" of 1.50, and a "SV%" of 0.947.

Last edited by Ohashi_Jouzu: 06-16-2010 at 09:55 AM.
Old
06-16-2010, 10:51 AM
Jakomyte

I think the proves what we already knew:

- Price had a good 2009/10
- Halak had a great 2009/10

If we really can't keep both, its up to management to figure out who will do best now that 2009/10 is over.

Jakomyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 10:59 AM
Perrah

Quote:
I seem to remember them being similar, but not quite as good (I want to say both GAA and SV%, but I wouldn't put much money on that). All I know for sure, is that Huet had a 2.55 GAA and 0.916 SV% when he was traded and his last game was Feb. 21st. And for those who enjoyed the "Halak played against weaker opposition" discussions, that was much more the case when Price's starts were scheduled that season, if I remember correctly. I'm sure I could work up the motivation to get those numbers for you after the soccer game.

Obviously, though, they liked what they saw... and why not.

edit: Okay, save percentage didn't take that long. Price had 0.910 at the time (c.f. Huet's 0.916). GAA is gonna be dicier, as fractions of minutes->fractions of games->true/exact GAA is going to be annoying.

edit 2: Okay, I get 1446.9 mins played (24.115 games), and 68 GA, which gives Price a GAA of 2.82 at the time (c.f. Huet's 2.55).

edit 3: Halak's was much easier, lol. Over a whopping 39.983 minutes, he posted a "GAA" of 1.50, and a "SV%" of 0.947.
Thanks.
His 2008 stats ended up being much better so I guess he must have hit stride after the trade .920 2.56. He didnt steal right out of Huet hands, but he didnt drop the ball afterwards. You could really argue that point either way and pretty much be right.

Perrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 11:08 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrah View Post
Thanks.
His 2008 stats ended up being much better so I guess he must have hit stride after the trade .920 2.56. He didnt steal right out of Huet hands, but he didnt drop the ball afterwards. You could really argue that point either way and pretty much be right.
Well, let's be honest. Look at those numbers, and tell me that Price wasn't given the job. What he did afterwards is irrelevant, but I'm glad he played well and to a large extent justified Gainey's faith in him. Just a bit too early, obviously, but Gainey had his plans and probably couldn't fit the contract length Huet was likely asking for into them.

Old
06-16-2010, 11:10 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Well, let's be honest. Look at those numbers, and tell me that Price wasn't given the job. What he did afterwards is irrelevant, but I'm glad he played well and to a large extent justified Gainey's faith in him. Just a bit too early, obviously, but Gainey had his plans and probably couldn't fit the contract length Huet was likely asking for into them.
Are you 100% sure on the #s? I thought they were deadlocked at .916.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote