HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pat Sharp

Old
06-15-2010, 10:47 AM
305Pantera

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther View Post
Don't want any part of Sopel and I think Sharp could be had for either Repik or Matthias, preferably Repik, and a second. As far as Reino goes, If a scoring line center is acquired, I think he could be dumped for the proverbial bag of pucks to save money and cap space. If not, you could always buy him out. By the way, the two week window to buy out contracts starts today so let the salary dumps begin!
Finally some off-season action. Be sure to keep us posted on any dumpings!!

Also, I would definitely prefer to move Repik over Matthias. IIRC didn't Repik have some character issues last season?

305Pantera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 11:54 AM
Great8Cam
CatsAren't Coming

Why would anyone ever suggest Matthias as a trade posibility. He only has upside and he will become a true second line Centre.

Repik I can understand, but not Matthias. I think that you will see a change that will reflect a North American roster going forward under DT. He will keep Kuli and he will more than likely keep Frolik, but he will get rid of the rest of Euro forwards and D.

It's already felt that we are too Euro right now. Koistenen, Repik, Dadanov, Frolik, Dvo, Olesz.

20 million coming off the cap hit next year sure does provide alot of possibilities.

Great8Cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 12:02 PM
Laus723
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great8Cam View Post
Why would anyone ever suggest Matthias as a trade posibility. He only has upside and he will become a true second line Centre.

Repik I can understand, but not Matthias. I think that you will see a change that will reflect a North American roster going forward under DT. He will keep Kuli and he will more than likely keep Frolik, but he will get rid of the rest of Euro forwards and D.

It's already felt that we are too Euro right now. Koistenen, Repik, Dadanov, Frolik, Dvo, Olesz.

20 million coming off the cap hit next year sure does provide alot of possibilities.
Thanks G8C! I like a good mix of Euros and NA players, but I tend to like the gritty style of the NA players a lot more.

Couldn't agree more on Matthias. I love the kid and think he'll only get better. I think it would be a big mistake to get rid of him.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 12:25 PM
Great8Cam
CatsAren't Coming

DT will keep 2 or 3 Euros (goalies not in the mix) just like what you see in CHI (Hossa, Kopecky, Hjalmarsson, Johnsson), but I don't think DT feels that you get alot of character from most Euros.

A Canadian Hockey saying is - Euros win scoring titles and Canadians win the Cup.

Old
06-15-2010, 12:29 PM
Laus723
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
DT will keep 2 or 3 Euros (goalies not in the mix) just like what you see in CHI (Hossa, Kopecky, Hjalmarsson, Johnsson), but I don't think DT feels that you get alot of character from most Euros.

A Canadian Hockey saying is - Euros win scoring titles and Canadians win the Cup.
Ha, true!

I know we like to vilify Richards, but I love the guy. He's exactly what a captain should be and is exactly what I'd love to have on this team. I don't like at all his hit on Booth and one or two other players, but this guy is captain material and wish we could find someone like him.

I love Chicago's mix of players. It's very well blended. Detroit got some of the best Euros at a time when most teams weren't looking that way.

Old
06-15-2010, 12:32 PM
Georgia Panther

Nah, what we need is to bring in some Asians!

You guys need to move to Arizona with your racial sterotyping!

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 02:15 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

vCash: 50
Quote:

Hossa and Kopecky were brought in after Tallon lost power struggle , Those were more Bowman moves

Johnsson was acquired by Bowman

Hjalmarsson along with Khabibulin/Havlat were the only Euro's really that Tallon brought in

In fact after he became GM he purged Hawks of almost every european prospect outside of Hammer and Makarov (Dudley guy in draft)

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 03:21 PM
Dread Clawz
Auston Matthews USA!

Quote:
Nah, what we need is to bring in some Asians!

You guys need to move to Arizona with your racial sterotyping!
It's not racial stereotyping really, it's just different styles of hockey. Has nothing to do with race or ethnicity, it's about where you are brought up and learn to play hockey.

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 03:28 PM
Laus723
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
It's not racial stereotyping really, it's just different styles of hockey. Has nothing to do with race or ethnicity, it's about where you are brought up and learn to play hockey.
Was GP serious?

Old
06-15-2010, 04:42 PM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
You must admit there are Europeans who play like NA's and North Americans that play like Europeans as well. Forsberg comes to mind. It's always wrong to lump someone into a group, racial or nationality, and say because he or she is such and such they're good at this and not at that.

Old
06-15-2010, 05:07 PM
FlaPanthers7

Quote:
You must admit there are Europeans who play like NA's and North Americans that play like Europeans as well. Forsberg comes to mind. It's always wrong to lump someone into a group, racial or nationality, and say because he or she is such and such they're good at this and not at that.
Canadiens and Europeans aren't "races" either; it's more of a xenophobia if anything.

FlaPanthers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 05:08 PM
Dread Clawz
Auston Matthews USA!

Quote:
Yes there are, but they are the exception not the rule. Chances are if you have a high Euro quotient on your team it's going to be a soft team.

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 05:49 PM
CoolburnIsGone

Quote:

Versteeg is 5-9 and 159lbs. Size doesn't matter as much as in the past but unless you're Martin St.Louis, and even he is 185lbs, that's too small

Don't want any part of Sopel and I think Sharp could be had for either Repik or Matthias, preferably Repik, and a second. As far as Reino goes, If a scoring line center is acquired, I think he could be dumped for the proverbial bag of pucks to save money and cap space. If not, you could always buy him out. By the way, the two week window to buy out contracts starts today so let the salary dumps begin!
I know where you got those size numbers from for Versteeg (ESPN) but its not accurate. He's listed on most websites as 5'10" 180 lbs. Patrick Kane on ESPN is listed at 5'9" 160 so you wouldnt want him?

Versteeg hasnt even played on a scoring line that much in Chicago so I dont think size is a huge concern with him. And trust me, I'm all about bringing in bigger players but I'm more about bringing in the "right" players. Versteeg IMO would be one of those "right" guys because he can play defense, but can still score and fits with the age demographic of the team. Anyone thinking it'll be cheap to acquire him should realize that several teams will be after him hoping to get a cheap deal so that will naturally help increase the cost to acquire him (rumors have already said that Atlanta may offer up a late 1st for him).

To you and everyone that doesnt want any part of Sopel, its understandable. But its not like he's signed for the next 3 yrs. He's got 1 yr remaining, just coming off a decent playoffs and has some leadership skills. Guys like Keith and Seabrook said they were glad he was around to help mentor them. That may help guys like Kulikov, Garrison, Ellerby moreso than everyone realizes. He'd only be a 3rd pairing d-man so not like he'd be portrayed as some top 4 defender. Plus as RGCP pointed out, he could be a good trade deadline chip to have for acquiring more picks/prospects.

As far as Sharp goes, I think ATF has the right point too. He's a tad older than I think we'd want in terms of guys on this team right now. And Reino wont be bought out IMO cause thats a cap hit of $745,000 for the next 4 yrs versus a cap hit of just $2 million for the next 2 yrs. Horrible move is the only thing I can say about that. I'm sure he could be dumped for even a prospect and farm player before doing something like that.

CoolburnIsGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 06:19 PM
Great8Cam
CatsAren't Coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPanthers7 View Post
Canadiens and Europeans aren't "races" either; it's more of a xenophobia if anything.
Absolotely true that this is NOT racial because as you said European is not a RACE.

I completely disagree with it being xenophobia. If that's the case then DT wouldn't even want Americans because of the definition.

Xenophobia is the uncontrollable fear of foreigners. It comes from the Greek words ξένος (xenos), meaning "stranger," "foreigner" and φόβος (phobos),

This is a style of play and a mentality difference. For example - Euros think pass first because that is how they are brought up in the system. You guys have heard many of our own Euros say this. Even the way that they are taught to start is different. They face forward and get up on the toe for the first few strides, whereas NAs usually start sideways and do crossover starts.

The North American style Euro is the exception and not the rule.

Old
06-16-2010, 12:38 AM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
Absolotely true that this is NOT racial because as you said European is not a RACE.

I completely disagree with it being xenophobia. If that's the case then DT wouldn't even want Americans because of the definition.

Xenophobia is the uncontrollable fear of foreigners. It comes from the Greek words ξένος (xenos), meaning "stranger," "foreigner" and φόβος (phobos),

This is a style of play and a mentality difference. For example - Euros think pass first because that is how they are brought up in the system. You guys have heard many of our own Euros say this. Even the way that they are taught to start is different. They face forward and get up on the toe for the first few strides, whereas NAs usually start sideways and do crossover starts.

The North American style Euro is the exception and not the rule.
And Kenyans are the best Marathon runners. Frank Shorter was the exception.