Pics of the new Penguins Arena

Old
06-09-2010, 02:05 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

vCash: 500
Pics of the new Penguins Arena

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/gallery...id=DL|PIT|home

Looks very nice although one thing bothers me. I know that HOK/Populous carry over a lot of things from one project to another - for example the split deck in the upper level of a lot of new ballparks (including NYS and Target Field) - but is anyone else surprised at how many small and large details are similar to the X?

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 02:27 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Yeah it looks exactly like the X! Except the locker room, I don't think the Wild's is anywhere near as nice and I'm fairly sure it's box and not oval. But the views from the bench and on the ice look exactly the same (although I haven't played any other pro arenas except the X, and the Mariucci was way different).

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 02:38 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

It's different than both Verizon and Wachovia Center.

Old
06-09-2010, 09:22 PM
Lifer

During one of the VS broadcasts of a Penguins game this year they said their new barn had parts that were specifically designed to be like the X. I would think that's flattering rather than a bother.

Lifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 09:29 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifer View Post
During one of the VS broadcasts of a Penguins game this year they said their new barn had parts that were specifically designed to be like the X. I would think that's flattering rather than a bother.
It's just something about how Populous continues to re-use certain aspects to build the same arena over and over again. I don't really know how to explain it.

Old
06-09-2010, 09:43 PM
Lifer

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Lifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 10:24 PM
State of Hockey

Glendale was really the Arena that was modeled after the X.

I don't see much of the X in Consol. I see more of a smaller, open-concourse version of Staples Center/United Center. It has a small lower bowl and exterior views like the UC, and the big-wig levels have the look of Staples.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 12:05 AM
shleeban

looked almost identical to me.... but who wouldnt wanna look like the x, its won the best sports stadium in the world numerous times.

shleeban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 01:19 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Hockey View Post

I don't see much of the X in Consol. I see more of a smaller, open-concourse version of Staples Center/United Center. It has a small lower bowl and exterior views like the UC, and the big-wig levels have the look of Staples.
Glendale missed the most important part when copying the X though, they do NOT have the open concourse to the ice, the Pens new arena does... thus it looks almost identical.

As for the Wild lockerroom, that was a JL decision if you recall. He wanted it to be as small as it is, so the players would be closer as a team.

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 06:26 PM
North Metro Peewees

The X is the standard all others are measured by. According to ESPN it was the best arena in the NHL with the best fan experience. Now if we could just hang some banners in there

North Metro Peewees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 08:55 PM
State of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
Glendale missed the most important part when copying the X though, they do NOT have the open concourse to the ice, the Pens new arena does... thus it looks almost identical.
I believe Jobing has open concourses. At least that's what the I've seen and read about the arena. Either way I remember all the hubbub about the people sent to the X to see what they wanted to copy.

Old
06-10-2010, 09:21 PM
Timothy Freitag

Quote:
Glendale missed the most important part when copying the X though, they put the stadium in the friggin desert.

As for the Wild lockerroom, that was a JL decision if you recall. He wanted it to be as small as it is, so the players would be closer as a team.
FIFY

Timothy Freitag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 10:49 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
I believe Jobing has open concourses. At least that's what the I've seen and read about the arena. Either way I remember all the hubbub about the people sent to the X to see what they wanted to copy.
As you can see here...

They clearly have tunnels for the fans to walk through, not open concourses.

Though the concourses are closed, they do look very X like otherwise...

I think the difference is the lower level boxes they have on the sides, where as the only boxes the lower level has at the X is on the end the Wild shoot twice. Sides are completely open, with rail tickets at the top instead of boxes.

Last edited by TaLoN: 06-10-2010 at 11:00 PM.
Old
06-10-2010, 10:59 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NM Squirts View Post
The X is the standard all others are measured by. According to ESPN it was the best arena in the NHL with the best fan experience. Now if we could just hang some banners in there
Agreed, although it's a young team. Plus it could be worse. At the Verizon Center, the Washington Mystics have "Attendance Champions" banners.

Old
06-10-2010, 11:16 PM
State of Hockey

Talon, you sure those aren't curtains in the second picture? Everything in the setup appears to be conducive to open concourses. Yeah I see that the one upper end is closed, but technicality the X has an end that way too.

Old
06-10-2010, 11:27 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Talon, you sure those aren't curtains in the second picture? Everything in the setup appears to be conducive to open concourses. Yeah I see that the one upper end is closed, but technicality the X has an end that way too.
At the top of the sections on the sides is a seating area called the Commercial Bank Club. Those are box seats, concourses can't be open to boxes, as they have individual doors to access them.

Old
06-10-2010, 11:42 PM
MK9

Quote:

Structurally, yes. But, not even kidding. The place looks like you could bust ass and remove everything in under 24 hours and no one would ever know they [the Coyotes] were there. It's a very cold, impersonal feeling arena. Whereas the X has so much to give it a much more homey feeling to it. Now, I will say Westgate Pavillion has built up so much outside of Jobbing.com arena that it's by FAR a nicer area to go before or after the games than downtown St. Paul is.

MK9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 11:45 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Even if the concourses were open behind the box seats on the sides, simply having top of the lower level boxes would completely defeat the purpose of the open concourse to begin with.

Old
06-10-2010, 11:45 PM
State of Hockey

Quote:
At the top of the sections on the sides is a seating area called the Commercial Bank Club. Those are box seats, concourses can't be open to boxes, as they have individual doors to access them.
Ah, so that's like building a deluxe ice cream sundae and forgetting the cherry on top. I'd chalk that up into the "stupid" category then.

Old
06-10-2010, 11:46 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Ah, so that's like building a deluxe ice cream sundae and forgetting the cherry on top. I'd chalk that up into the "stupid" category then.
Agree completely. How they can copy the X so much, but forget the single most important feature is astounding!

Old
06-11-2010, 12:06 AM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
What a Coyotes fan wrote about the matter:
Quote:
Well, yes and no. If you walk around the arena along the concourse you'll walk past entire walls or concessions that are in between the concourse and seating/rink area. Then are long stretches where you will walk along an opening that lets you view the entire rink.

It all depends on where you're at, but it's not very sight restricting at all. There are TV monitors all along the concourse as well which shows the action on the ice pretty much no matter where your at, if that helps.

Old
06-11-2010, 12:57 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

It sounds to me like they are happy with monitors showing the action, not realizing what they are missing! The open concourses are not only about seeing the action...

Old
06-16-2010, 12:18 AM
usernam*
#TeamSuccess

The new locker room in Pitt is dirty...

usernam* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 01:56 AM
Big McLargehuge
Diving in Head First

vCash: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
It's just something about how Populous continues to re-use certain aspects to build the same arena over and over again. I don't really know how to explain it.
Its not as if Populous did that of their own accord with this one...Lemieux and Sawyer traveled to all of the arenas in the league and picked out what they liked the best about certain arenas to focus on with designing the Consol Energy Center...which means that it borrowed a lot of elements from Minnesota and Columbus. I'd consider that flattering more than anything else. The building was designed on a strict budget so its not like we could re-invent what a hockey arena was. It looks like its turning out better than anyone was hoping for (frankly none of us really cared about the quality of the arena so much as the assurance that something would be built...with the budget used I was expecting the most nondescript building this side of whatever the **** Boston's arena is called this year).

The locker room looks similar to Vancouver's new ones, but slightly nicer. Pittsburgh goes from having the worst locker rooms in the league to the best.

Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote