HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Schlemko resigned

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-10-2010, 08:18 PM
  #1
crazyhockeylover96
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 270
vCash: 500
Schlemko resigned

http://coyotes.nhl.com/club/news.htm...id=DL|PHX|home

http://forecaster.thehockeynews.com/.../movements.cgi

No further details yet


Last edited by crazyhockeylover96: 06-10-2010 at 11:47 PM.
crazyhockeylover96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 08:00 AM
  #2
wpgyotes
Bye Bryz
 
wpgyotes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,741
vCash: 500
Career AHLer in my book.

wpgyotes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 09:40 AM
  #3
crazyhockeylover96
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 270
vCash: 500
I agree. Maybe they're hoping for a late blooming 7th defenseman type. Probably looked at as a mentor for the new defensemen but also someone that can be relied on as a short-term call up if the kids aren't ready yet. This guy has worked hard. Undrafted and has now played in the CHL, AHL, and NHL.

crazyhockeylover96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 11:28 AM
  #4
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey
 
mouser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: South Mountain
Posts: 11,592
vCash: 500
As long as it's a 2-way deal, which I'm sure it is, and they expect him to stay in SA then I have no problem with it. He did a decent job filling in when called up.

mouser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 11:36 AM
  #5
Agalloch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Lachute, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,703
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
As long as it's a 2-way deal, which I'm sure it is, and they expect him to stay in SA then I have no problem with it. He did a decent job filling in when called up.
Two way for the first year and one way for the 2 years after

Agalloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 11:38 AM
  #6
andimgone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,582
vCash: 500
Contract details @ capgeek

Looks like a two-way deal for only the first year of the contract.

andimgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 01:10 PM
  #7
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 41,855
vCash: 500
Schlemko is not what I look for in a seventh defenseman. I like a pp specialist type or a face smasher type, in that role. Someone who brings something unique to the line-up.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 03:31 PM
  #8
Naych_PHX
Are you, kidding me?
 
Naych_PHX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: phoenix
Posts: 5,667
vCash: 500
I think the Schlemko-Yandle pairing we went with for a few games was equally as beneficial to Yandle, as it was to Schlemko. Yandle was no longer "the kid learning the ropes, paired with a veteran." And he played like it.

Naych_PHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 03:40 PM
  #9
MP
Registered User
 
MP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,947
vCash: 500
They may be hoping for a Lepisto-like transition into the league in a year or so--insinuating himself onto the team mainly by not screwing up. I agree with rt about a 7th defenseman ideally having some specific skill that might come in handy in certain situations, but I doubt Maloney will have enough money to be too picky when it comes to filling in the bottom of the depth chart; and at least Schlemko was not (to my mind) noticeably bad when he was with the big club.

MP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 04:08 PM
  #10
PhoPhan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 13,229
vCash: 500
I think I'm the polar opposite when it comes to the 7th defenseman. I want a guy who's well-rounded enough to step in an fill whatever role is needed. Obviously, if he's a 7th defenseman, he's not going to step in and play as well as a top pairing guy, but I prefer the Travis Roche sort who's not going to look out of place in any specific duty.

PhoPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 04:21 PM
  #11
Kaibur
Registered User
 
Kaibur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,412
vCash: 500
I thought Schlemko did an admirable job filling in last season and I really didn't see the need to bring Eriksson in - I thought it would have been better to continue developing Schlemko at the NHL level for the 8 games that Eriksson played. I would rather carry Schlemko as the 7 guy, partly because I don't think he has a whole lot else to improve on, but mostly because we will have most D spots filled in San Antonio and I'd rather those other guys get big minutes. There's a pretty good chance that all of Summers, Goncharov, Stone, Ross, Ahnelov and Brodeur will be playing in SA next year. Once you throw in an AHL vet like maybe Sullivan, playing time will already be at a premium. I'd rather have Schlemko riding pine, practicing, filling in (while making the bigger paycheck) at the NHL level and let the 'real' prospects hone their craft.

Kaibur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 04:39 PM
  #12
PhoPhan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 13,229
vCash: 500
If Goncharov doesn't make the Coyotes next year, would it be better for him to play in the AHL or the KHL?

PhoPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 04:54 PM
  #13
JawandaPuck
Moderator
Lost Art of Dynasty
 
JawandaPuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Vancouver BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,300
vCash: 500
I like Schlemko -- he's gotten better every year. And at $550K for three years, I like him a lot. Wonderful signing for the org.

JawandaPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 05:20 PM
  #14
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 41,855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
I think I'm the polar opposite when it comes to the 7th defenseman. I want a guy who's well-rounded enough to step in an fill whatever role is needed. Obviously, if he's a 7th defenseman, he's not going to step in and play as well as a top pairing guy, but I prefer the Travis Roche sort who's not going to look out of place in any specific duty.
That's what I want in an injury call up. I want the seventh D to be there to sub in on short notice, not for injury, but for a specific fit in a specific game or to send a specific message.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 05:29 PM
  #15
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 41,855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
If Goncharov doesn't make the Coyotes next year, would it be better for him to play in the AHL or the KHL?
Developmentally? AHL. Monetarily? KHL.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 07:48 PM
  #16
PhoPhan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 13,229
vCash: 500
What about the AHL makes you think it will be better developmentally? I don't mean that antagonistically or passive-aggressively. I'm genuinely curious, because I can't decide.

I'm anxious to get him here just because of the general fears about the longer it takes to get a European player over, the harder it becomes, but beyond that, I'm not sure the KHL doesn't make more sense. The quality of play is certainly higher, and while Goncharov himself wouldn't necessarily get more time, he'd still likely get good minutes while leaving more to be spread out among the myriad other defensemen in San Antonio. Of course, stylistically, the AHL is a bit closer to NHL than is the KHL, and the team probably wants to maximize its influence on the development of its future star defenseman, not to mention get him used to playing with at least a few guys they hope he'll play with down the road. I really don't know which route I'd prefer.

PhoPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 07:51 PM
  #17
PhoPhan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 13,229
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
That's what I want in an injury call up. I want the seventh D to be there to sub in on short notice, not for injury, but for a specific fit in a specific game or to send a specific message.
I guess I'm assuming that the 5th and 6th guys (and possibly the 4th, depending on who it is) will have their own roles, and that the 7th (Schlemko) could platoon whoever needs to sit.

PhoPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 08:11 PM
  #18
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 41,855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
What about the AHL makes you think it will be better developmentally? I don't mean that antagonistically or passive-aggressively. I'm genuinely curious, because I can't decide.
We know that he is an excellent defenseman in Russia. It's time for him to prove that he can be an excellent defenseman in the United States. He needs to get used to having North American teammates, staff, fans, and acclimate himself to the North American culture. He needs to get used to the longer schedule and smaller ice.

He'd make a lot more over in Russia, but it looks like his signing bonus is pretty fat, and it wouldn't kill him to burn a year of that ELC if he plans on being a high dollar player, sonner than later. He could look at it as an investment. The advice of the people he trusts will probably decide which route he takes. It's too tough a call for me to judge one way, or the other. Personally, as an American, I'd rather play in the AHL for more money than go over to the KHL and make less(if that were the nature of things), despite the KHL being the better league. So, being honest with myself, I'm not going to bad mouth Russians that decide to stay home and make millions.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 08:16 PM
  #19
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 41,855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
I guess I'm assuming that the 5th and 6th guys (and possibly the 4th, depending on who it is) will have their own roles, and that the 7th (Schlemko) could platoon whoever needs to sit.
If the power play is sucking, you can's sit someone and put Schlemko in to help out. MAB, you could. If we're getting pushed around or playing a team we have some bad blood with, you can't put Schlemko in to smash faces. Belak, you could. If a guy like Jovo goes down, or even Lepisto, you certainly don't want to replace him with MAB or Belak. In that case, I'd rather give a call up to a guy like Goncharov or Summers. Schlemko even, but on a two-way deal. The one-way implies that he's a seventh D candidate.


Last edited by rt: 06-11-2010 at 08:23 PM.
rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 08:31 PM
  #20
PhoPhan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 13,229
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
We know that he is an excellent defenseman in Russia. It's time for him to prove that he can be an excellent defenseman in the United States. He needs to get used to having North American teammates, staff, fans, and acclimate himself to the North American culture. He needs to get used to the longer schedule and smaller ice.

He'd make a lot more over in Russia, but it looks like his signing bonus is pretty fat, and it wouldn't kill him to burn a year of that ELC if he plans on being a high dollar player, sonner than later. He could look at it as an investment. The advice of the people he trusts will probably decide which route he takes. It's too tough a call for me to judge one way, or the other. Personally, as an American, I'd rather play in the AHL for more money than go over to the KHL and make less(if that were the nature of things), despite the KHL being the better league. So, being honest with myself, I'm not going to bad mouth Russians that decide to stay home and make millions.
I think Goncharov said he'd be willing to play in the AHL if that's what the team wants him to do, and all things considered, I'd guess the Coyotes want him in the AHL where they can keep an eye on him and even call him up for a stint or two. They seemed alright letting Lisin and Tikhonov go to Russia, but I guess those players preferred it over AHL. Anyway, it's not up to us, so I guess this is moot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
If the power play is sucking, you can's sit someone and put Schlemko in to help out. MAB, you could. If we're getting pushed around or playing a team we have some bad blood with, you can't put Schlemko in to smash faces. Belak, you could. If a guy like Jovo goes down, or even Lepisto, you certainly don't want to replace him with MAB or Belak. In that case, I'd rather give a call up to a guy like Goncharov or Summers. Schlemko even, but on a two-way deal. The one-way implies that he's a seventh D candidate.
I picture it backwards, dressing the guys like Bergeron and Belak nightly and having Schlemko spell whoever wasn't needed. If the Coyotes were playing a finesse team, they'd sit Vandermeer and dress Schlemko, for example.

PhoPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 04:45 AM
  #21
moosemeister
Registered User
 
moosemeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Tempe, Arizona
Posts: 1,240
vCash: 500
A three year deal at that contract is great. Gives him time to develop his game a little more. He filled in great last year when he was called up.

moosemeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:07 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.