HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Plekanec will leave ...

Old
06-12-2010, 04:15 PM
Teufelsdreck

vCash: 500
The optimal time to have unloaded upcoming UFAs was before the 2009 trade deadline, when the Habs had 10 of them, none of whom were re-signed. I think Gainey knew he wasn't going to re-sign them, but he held on to them and put an obviously crappy team into the playoffs that was swept by the Bruins in the first round. The Habs would have had lots of draft choices if they had traded as many of them as they could. I'm not saying there would have been first rounders, but the depth would have been there.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 04:23 PM
AntonCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
The optimal time to have unloaded upcoming UFAs was before the 2009 trade deadline, when the Habs had 10 of them, none of whom were re-signed. I think Gainey knew he wasn't going to re-sign them, but he held on to them and put an obviously crappy team into the playoffs that was swept by the Bruins in the first round. The Habs would have had lots of draft choices if they had traded as many of them as they could. I'm not saying there would have been first rounders, but the depth would have been there.
You are absolutely correct, but then what would Uncle George have done in the year of the credit crunch without that extra 5-6 million the Habs made in the first round?

Picks and prospects don't pay the bills

AntonCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 04:36 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:

20/20 hindsight, or projecting your own desires onto Gainey.

The real Bob Gainey had JUST acquired Matt Schneider for 2+ draft picks and picked up Glen Metropolit on waivers, so obviously his plan was to try and go far and he did not yet believe the team was cooked. I think we were 5th or 6th at the time of the deadline.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 05:25 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
20/20 hindsight, or projecting your own desires onto Gainey.

The real Bob Gainey had JUST acquired Matt Schneider for 2+ draft picks and picked up Glen Metropolit on waivers, so obviously his plan was to try and go far and he did not yet believe the team was cooked. I think we were 5th or 6th at the time of the deadline.
Pure hindsight, of course, although my conclusion is correct in retrospect. As for my desires, I had no idea Gainey intended such a massive overhaul. I might have retained a few of those players. At times in the 2009-10 season the Habs lacked sufficient depth and some of the the held-over young players they counted on (Latendresse, SKost, d'Agostini, Maxwell, Chipchura, Pacioretty, White) badly underperformed. Besides, Gainey should have seen that some veterans were injured and wouldn't be able to give their best in the playoffs.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 05:28 PM
AntonCH

Quote:
Pure hindsight, of course, although my conclusion is correct in retrospect. As for my desires, I had no idea Gainey intended such a massive overhaul. I might have retained a few of those players. At times in the 2009-10 season the Habs lacked sufficient depth and some of the the held-over young players they counted on (Latendresse, SKost, d'Agostini, Maxwell, Chipchura, Pacioretty, White) badly underperformed. Besides, Gainey should have seen that some veterans were injured and wouldn't be able to give their best in the playoffs.
You're forgetting the cap
If you kept any of the UFA's, then 1 or two that were brought in this year wouldn't have been.

They counted on the kids cuz they were cheap, allowing the team to spend elswhere

AntonCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 07:28 PM
Ginu

Quote:
FAIL. Bob Gainey went behind the bench to evaluate the leadership in the locker room and didn't like what he saw. During those playoffs is when he decided that a drastic change of dynamic was needed. No person in their right mind would put a crappy team into the playoffs purposely and not get anything for pending UFAs because of it.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 08:26 PM
WG

The other thing about that 2009 team, after Schneider came on board, the PP got instantly better, the team went on a good run (something like 6W and 1 OT loss in 7 games through late March/early April) and they looked like they might have a shot in the first round.

Then Markov and Schnieider got hurt, and all of the air went out of the balloon. They squeaked into the 8th seed with the OTL in Boston and they were easy pickings in the first round.

Halfway through that Leafs game in early April you'd have said the team was on a roll, gelling at the right time etc. etc. Once Markov got hurt it was easier to see that team had no chance, purging UFA's was the best plan etc. but that wasn't until 4 games left in the season.

WG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 09:39 PM
habtastic

Plekanec did not disappear in the playoffs. Stop only looking at the stats for points (in which he's not some major fail or something). The guy shut down Crosby and Ovechkin while contributing to a counterattack that worked and a great PK. When it came to Philly, we all knew the entire roster would have a tough time getting to the net, hell even Byfuglien did in the first few games and most of their players the entire series. We just need AK to play big or fix the player in his spot with someone who will make use of Cammy's sniping, Pleky's playmaking and vision (and speed and agility and deking) to use sheer force. Plekanec is the best second line center we've had in a lonnnng time. I think people are vastly underrating him and it's disturbing when a player plays well and STILL gets questioned. All the "he doesn't deserve..." stuff. Why would other teams be willing to pay him a lot of money? It's really the cap that is making it seem like the guy should take the home team discount. If this were a non-cap NHL, nobody would have a problem giving him 5.5. I think he will sign from 4.5-5 mill. Number of years, not sure, guessing 3-4.

Believe me we need him. We did not need Komisarek nor Kovalev (easily replaced with better, more reliable players). Plekanec we need.

As for Gainey's moves, what if he hadn't kept Plekanec around with a slight raise after a disappointing season for 09-10? You're right, we could have had Seguin or Hall.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 12:17 AM
koivu

i dont think he disappeared either, but he was nowhere near as effective as regular season. As such, his stock should drop. If he gets an amazing offer from another team, would not be disappointed.

If he comes back for 3-4 million, would be worth it... but he has already been identified as the # UFA this offseaon, so you know some crazy US team will offer hims insane bucks - and he will never live up to his insane contract... kind of Scott Gomez kind!

koivu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 08:12 AM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/hoc...7_section_POS1

Andrighetto Fabolous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 08:19 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonCH View Post
You are absolutely correct, but then what would Uncle George have done in the year of the credit crunch without that extra 5-6 million the Habs made in the first round?

Picks and prospects don't pay the bills
He's not correct because as soon as you make the playoffs, you have a chance to win the cup. This year was a great example. Were we supposed to beat the Capitals? Were we supposed to beat the Penguins? We made it to the conference final...we were close even if we did not have the best team. And do you remember the Carolina-Edmonton final a few years ago? Both team were not supposed to be there but they went in a 7 game Stanley Cup final...

So you can't be a seller at the trade deadline when you are in a playoffs spot. Looking back, it would have been awesome to trade those UFAs, but in reality, it was impossible...

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 08:30 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by koivu View Post
i dont think he disappeared either, but he was nowhere near as effective as regular season. As such, his stock should drop. If he gets an amazing offer from another team, would not be disappointed.

If he comes back for 3-4 million, would be worth it... but he has already been identified as the # UFA this offseaon, so you know some crazy US team will offer hims insane bucks - and he will never live up to his insane contract... kind of Scott Gomez kind!
I don't find he was less effective other than the Phillie series. The first 2 rounds he did a great job helping shut down 4 of the biggest stars in the NHL and still chipped in offense. Against Phillie he looked to be out of gas, but it's understandable after the extra ice time head early with Gomez, Gio, Cammalleri etc out long stretches, plus playing in the Olympics then 2 7 game series. Do you think the Flyers should dump Richards because he was ineffective the last 2 rounds because he was out of gas also?

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 08:47 AM
mtlhockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahan View Post
I'd like Patrick Sharp please, thanks!
YESSSS!!

mtlhockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 09:00 AM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by article
Halak's agent, Allan Walsh, said yesterday from his office in Los Angeles that he would not comment on the situation of his client.
This was lol and totally unlike Walsh, I just had to comment.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 09:04 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Do you think the Flyers should dump Richards because he was ineffective the last 2 rounds because he was out of gas also?
The difference between the two is that when Richards is out of gas he still brings a physical game and battles hard....Always makes his presence felt....

When Pleky is out of gas he's the equivalent to a girl.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 09:10 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
The difference between the two is that when Richards is out of gas he still brings a physical game and battles hard....Always makes his presence felt....

When Pleky is out of gas he's the equivalent to a girl.
Even when he isn't producing Pleks is a strong defensive player and very good on PK.

I'm sure there are a lot of girls tougher than you so that's a dumb statement. Try passing something the size of a watermellon through your butt and see how tough YOU are

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 09:15 AM
Canadian_Brewtality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pernell Karl View Post
meh

nothing surprising.
see komisarek's agent one year ago

Canadian_Brewtality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 09:18 AM
Pleky Roks

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotsauce514 View Post
Hi ,

We are now less than 3 week from july first and plekanec is not sign yet. I think at this time , he will wait to see what he can get on the UFA market.......And obviously some GM will give him the money he want .

Plekanec will be hard to replace , but still good ridance ( specially if he asked more than 4,5 M$). That means we loose an other good player for nothing.....Did it worth keeping plekanec to get to the ECF ?

Pleks will be back....don't worry folks!!! The Habs aren't going to let their top scorer and the best UFA on the market walk away.

Gaulthier just needs to take some time and make room for Pleky's contract by buying out some players and trading others. I'd say there is a contract in place that both sides agreed on and now its just a matter of making a few moves to free up cap space and Pleky will be signed.

People seem to focus on the lack of production from Pleks in the playoffs, but they forget that if it wasn't for his strong play all season, we wouldn't have even made the playoffs. Pleks is still young and has a lot to learn about playoffs hockey. I'm sure he gained valuable experience this year and will be better next year. I'm still convinced that Pleks was playing injured in the playoffs like a lot of his teammates.

Pleky Roks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 10:13 AM
RE-HABS

Plekanec may not have disappeared in the Washington and Pittsburgh series, but he was missing in the Philly series.

If he gets what people think he will get in say $5 million per and wants a long term deal as he is a UFA, Montreal will regret signing him to a 5 year $25 million deal.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 10:27 AM
NLHabsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalakRulz View Post
Pleks will be back....don't worry folks!!! The Habs aren't going to let their top scorer and the best UFA on the market walk away.

Gaulthier just needs to take some time and make room for Pleky's contract by buying out some players and trading others. I'd say there is a contract in place that both sides agreed on and now its just a matter of making a few moves to free up cap space and Pleky will be signed.

People seem to focus on the lack of production from Pleks in the playoffs, but they forget that if it wasn't for his strong play all season, we wouldn't have even made the playoffs. Pleks is still young and has a lot to learn about playoffs hockey. I'm sure he gained valuable experience this year and will be better next year. I'm still convinced that Pleks was playing injured in the playoffs like a lot of his teammates.
I don't believe that because they don't need to clear cap space for him to sign. They have all summer to clear cap space, they can go over the Cap by 10% until opening day roster is announced. So if there was a deal already in place I'm sure it would have been signed and confirmed.

NLHabsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 10:46 AM
Hugo Sham

if montreal resigns pleks which i believe they will, Gauthier is going to have to deal the kostitsyn sisters, maybe O'Byrne, and / or one of the goalies to pick up a winger with size and jam who can play in the top 6. it's imperative that he does.

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 10:47 AM
Habs

It wouldn't bother me too much to see him walk away, spend the money on someone else.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 11:05 AM
TankEller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
Plekanec may not have disappeared in the Washington and Pittsburgh series, but he was missing in the Philly series.

If he gets what people think he will get in say $5 million per and wants a long term deal as he is a UFA, Montreal will regret signing him to a 5 year $25 million deal.
And we'll regret letting him go for that amount of money. People suggesting to let him go have no long-term vision and/or are not really clever... There are nobody on the market capable of efficiently taking his place.

TankEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 11:26 AM
tizzel

Here's what i saw on RDS Boards . BS or not , im posting it.

" Dans un tout ordre d'idées, si je vous disait que Plekanec vient de se payer un condo de 1 000 000$ sur l'Ile des Soeurs, ca vous dit quoi...? Qu'il veux jouer dans le marché immobilié montréalais? J'en doute... Je crois que le contrat est signé... Vous l'aurez appris ici! "

The guy say that Plekanec just bought a 1 000 000 $ Condo on "L'iles des soeurs" in Montreal.

tizzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 11:31 AM
Hugo Sham

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizzel View Post
Here's what i saw on RDS Boards . BS or not , im posting it.

" Dans un tout ordre d'idées, si je vous disait que Plekanec vient de se payer un condo de 1 000 000$ sur l'Ile des Soeurs, ca vous dit quoi...? Qu'il veux jouer dans le marché immobilié montréalais? J'en doute... Je crois que le contrat est signé... Vous l'aurez appris ici! "

The guy say that Plekanec just bought a 1 000 000 $ Condo on "L'iles des soeurs" in Montreal.
pleks said something very pertinent a couple of months before the season ended. he spoke about players from other teams trying to 'lure' him there in the offseason and spoke about how some ex habs loved being out of the fishbowl for a year or two and then got back to him to say they regretted ever leaving and missed the passion and atmosphere of the city...he concluded by saying the latter part was not lost on him

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote